Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just another Factory 6 being fixed up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Cairo94507
A-mazing! beerchug.gif
930cabman
You make it look easy, sure helps if you have done it before and have the equipment and the guts

I almost forgot, the time. All of this takes plenty of time, but it can be satisfying.
Luke M
It's hard work for sure. If you have the proper tools and a attack plan it's kinda easy.
I have a list of things to get done but little by little knocking them out.

Got the outer right suspension mount prepped and ready to install.
That alone took a few hours to get ready for install.

horizontally-opposed
Incredible work, and wonderful photos. Thank you for sharing these!

The cleverness of the 914 unibody never ceases to amaze me in pics like these. It may not have been perfect, or able to fend off the tin worm, but its design was certainly quite advanced for its time.
Luke M
Not much progress but did cut away some rusted out sections which will need to be replaced. Got the spot welding tongs in but looks like I still need another set to install the fenders.
14carrot
Wow, Luke. Simply amazing. I knew you had mad skills but am utterly blown away by your level of commitment in putting together all the right tools for the job. Just outstanding. Like everyone here, I can't wait to see the finished result!!! This car is going to be killer!

I take it you are simply mothballing the original engine for posterity? Simply great that you're taking so much care to make that chassis better than new and then also have the guts to do the reversible performance upgrades to make the car your own.

Kudos!

PS - how did your brother's car turn out? Is it detailed somewhere here? You went in deep on that one, but this is entirely beyond next level.

R E S P E C T !!!!

Someday I'll get your old six done and we'll have a reunion. Still trying to gather parts.

-John
930cabman
QUOTE(Luke M @ Feb 6 2021, 11:05 AM) *

Not much progress but did cut away some rusted out sections which will need to be replaced. Got the spot welding tongs in but looks like I still need another set to install the fenders.

Cutting out the old rusty stuff is often more difficult than putting new stuff in, at least much more messy. Spot welding tongs, are they simply 1/2 or 5/8" copper rods with tips? can you fabricate new tongs to fit a specific task?
Luke M
QUOTE(14carrot @ Feb 6 2021, 07:12 PM) *

Wow, Luke. Simply amazing. I knew you had mad skills but am utterly blown away by your level of commitment in putting together all the right tools for the job. Just outstanding. Like everyone here, I can't wait to see the finished result!!! This car is going to be killer!

I take it you are simply mothballing the original engine for posterity? Simply great that you're taking so much care to make that chassis better than new and then also have the guts to do the reversible performance upgrades to make the car your own.

Kudos!

PS - how did your brother's car turn out? Is it detailed somewhere here? You went in deep on that one, but this is entirely beyond next level.

R E S P E C T !!!!

Someday I'll get your old six done and we'll have a reunion. Still trying to gather parts.

-John

Hi John,

Lots of work being done on both cars. My brothers 914 is about 90% done with the welding. Then it would need to go out for body and paint work. He has most if not all of the parts to get it back together.

Link to his : http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=212849&hl=

I'd love to finish my 6 this year and get some seat time in. See how things go here. I keep finding rust issues that need to be addressed so that slows me down. Tracking down good sheet metal to use and get in takes time.

The spot welding togs are solid 5/8'' copper rods with replaceable tips. I need some close quarter togs to install the front fender and a few other small sections. I figured the one set I purchased was gonna work but it won't. I did get two 5/8 '' straight rods in case I had to make some specific tongs. I'll have to see what if anything I can do with them. Maybe use them as an extension to clear longer runs?
Luke M
Removed the right front fender. Time to get the spot weld cutter out to finish it up.
The door post is also coming off.

Anyone with a NOS R/F fender stashed away that they want to part with?

May take a very nice used one as well.
Luke M
Got the door post off. Started cleaning up the mounting areas for the door post and fender. Also a quick test fit of the NOS right door post. Still got to figure out a patch panel for the lower section of the inner wheel housing/lower door post.
Cairo94507
I have never seen that NOS panel installed before. beerchug.gif
930cabman
Luke must have a line on these NOS parts, and a good line at that

btw, looks great Luke
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 10 2021, 06:11 PM) *

agree.gif I've never seen that joint so exposed......where the fender, the door post,
the cowl and the windshield frame all come together.
I always wondered how the fender might be attached in that 5"-6" vertical
seam below the black plastic 'push-in' filler piece.
Luke, was the fender welded below the black filler ?
Man you get 1st prize in the DIY category.
WOW ! great work.
Luke M
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 11 2021, 05:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 10 2021, 06:11 PM) *

agree.gif I've never seen that joint so exposed......where the fender, the door post,
the cowl and the windshield frame all come together.
I always wondered how the fender might be attached in that 5"-6" vertical
seam below the black plastic 'push-in' filler piece.
Luke, was the fender welded below the black filler ?
Man you get 1st prize in the DIY category.
WOW ! great work.

Hi Rory,

Thanks for the kind words. A work in progress it is. Little by little I'm chipping away at the list of things to do.
The fender to cowl was welded in the area I have circled in the pic. Looks to be lead welded/filled to me. It's way too soft to be anything else. Then there was a few spot welds that attach the fender to the door post at the very top and along down the door post.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Luke M @ Feb 11 2021, 09:00 AM) *

Hi Rory,

Thanks for the kind words. A work in progress it is. Little by little I'm chipping away at the list of things to do.
The fender to cowl was welded in the area I have circled in the pic. Looks to be lead welded/filled to me. It's way too soft to be anything else. Then there was a few spot welds that attach the fender to the door post at the very top and along down the door post.

The Bermuda Triangle of the 914

I've got an(other…) appointment with the one on the passenger side of my 914.
rgalla9146
Luke in my reply I said vertical when I should have said horizontal.
I'm curious about the area to the right of your circle.
It does not appear to have been welded or ground clean.
Is the fender attached along there ? or 'sealed' (in that special Karmann way) ?
How would they have welded it ?
Root_Werks
That jig, let alone the metal work, is straight up amazing! Thanks for sharing such a cool thread with all the pictures.
Luke M
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 11 2021, 01:15 PM) *

Luke in my reply I said vertical when I should have said horizontal.
I'm curious about the area to the right of your circle.
It does nor aoppear to have been welded or ground clean.
Is the fender attached along there ? or 'sealed' (in that special Karmann way) ?
How would they have welded it ?

No welds at all in that area. There was just seam sealer (area in yellow) and that was it.
Luke M
I spent a few hours on Sat. cleaning up the inner wheel housing. Got the remainder of the fender sections spot drilled and cleaned up. Now I need to fix the cowl to wheel housing area. I may need to order the cowl repair section from RD. Then I need to figure out the lower wheel housing section so I can start putting things back together.

Luke M
I received the R/F NOS fender in today ( thanks Jeff ). I got it blasted and test fitted on the chassis. Fits well and also stuck the flare on to see how she's gonna look.
Hopefully the rest of the sheet metal will arrive by Friday so I can get it welded in next week.
Cairo94507
Exciting to see clean metal and a flare clamped on. beerchug.gif
Dion
Fantastic work Luke. Love the jigs set up.
Amazing to see a NOS piece for this area.
Thanks for documenting your progress.
sixnotfour
Oh My.. You didn't mention , GT flairs...Shouldn't those be NOS Porsche too ??? LMK
beer.gif beerchug.gif
Luke M
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 8 2021, 06:19 PM) *

Oh My.. You didn't mention , GT flairs...Shouldn't those be NOS Porsche too ??? LMK
beer.gif beerchug.gif

Fender has some pitting but adding flares takes care of that.
Sent you a pm about flares.
Luke M
Blasted the right NOS long today. Prepping all the metal that's to get welded back on.
Hopefully by the end of next week the right side will be back together. smash.gif welder.gif
gms
Things are looking great over there Luke
930cabman
Luke has a killer supply of NOS stuff
Luke M
QUOTE(gms @ Mar 10 2021, 01:01 PM) *

Things are looking great over there Luke

Thanks Glenn,

Working away here when I can. I have a few section blasted and ready for install.
I want to paint the areas where I will not be able to reach once attached to the chassis.

I have Eastwood internal frame coating cans, and also picked up a few cans of the epoxy paint too. Anyone have an idea which would be best to use? I'd like to save the internal coating cans for those areas I can't reach. Think the epoxy will be ok to help with future rust? Thinking of using the epoxy for the inside of the long and behind the door post.

Any thoughts on this?

I have the chassis scheduled to be blasted at the end of April then right into epoxy a few days later. I have a huge list of things to knock out before the blast date.
Luke M
The sections from a Cali 914 parts car have arrived. Thanks Vince.. beerchug.gif

Started to remove any metal I do not need and prep for install.
Got the right inner wheel housing section almost done. I just need to blast it before install.
Next up is the pass foot section and under the fuel tank.

Today we will be working on my brothers 914. Spot welding the rest of the new RD rear panel in along with a new rear trunk pan.
Luke M
Started cutting and fitting the replacement inner fender section. Also got the right long coated with Eastwood internal frame coating. Man does that stuff make a mess.
I'll see if I can get the new section of metal tacked in on Wed.
930cabman
Now, if we can get RD to manufacture this section, our life would become instantly easier.
Keep up the work, lookin good

btw: I have been using a Sherwin Williams industrial primer "Kem Bond" we have used it for years on steel
rgalla9146
Looking good Luke
'Going deep' is an understatement
Great to see your very thorough work.
Luke M
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 16 2021, 06:27 PM) *

Looking good Luke
'Going deep' is an understatement
Great to see your very thorough work.

Thanks guys.. It's time consuming getting everything to line up just right.
Putting the panels on, test fit then remove. Got the right patch panel ready but didn't have the time to weld it in. I did work on the front trunk floor damage. Pretty much done but need to confirm it's correct. Anyone got a pic of the section I have circled. Early cars if that matters?

rgalla9146
Luke I can get pics of the trunk floor
Day or two
pete000
Wow, just a little metal touch up...LOL
914werke
DAMN!! aktion035.gif
Luke M
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 17 2021, 09:09 PM) *

Luke I can get pics of the trunk floor
Day or two

Hi Rory, If you could also snap a few from the underside front as well.
I'd greatly appreciate it..

Thanks.. beerchug.gif
gms
Luke,
Here are some pix of my NOS floor pan

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mate914
I used POR 15 inside all and out side all..... it has something to do with where we live.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Luke M
QUOTE(gms @ Mar 18 2021, 07:36 AM) *

Luke,
Here are some pix of my NOS floor pan

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for posting the pics. Is the section circled flat then has a recess for the spare tire ?
I may have to fine tune the pan a little more.
Luke M
Got the right inner fender patch in. Installed the nos right long and test fitted the inner rocker. I need to make some final tweeks to the long prior to welding it in.
Cairo94507
Simply amazing work. beerchug.gif
930cabman
Lookin good Luke, how is the new spot welder working?
Luke M
QUOTE(930cabman @ Mar 30 2021, 06:34 AM) *

Lookin good Luke, how is the new spot welder working?

Works great. I have a few plug welds to do as well. I'm gonna try and use the spot welder wherever I can to make it look factory. I got a set of 12" CLOSE QUARTER WELDING TONGS but still having a clearance issue at the front fender channels. dry.gif
I may have to modify one of the welding tips.
sixnotfour
Double carboard with filler...Fingers Crossed
sixnotfour
Luke M
Patch panel is all welded in and also started the pass side floor pan install.
Ran out of gas for my mig welder so I'll get the tank swapped out tmrw. welder.gif

How I hate grinding but turned out pretty nice.
Luke M
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 30 2021, 06:32 PM) *

Hi Jeff,

piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif

Lets hope it gets here undamaged. Last two items didn't fair so well in shipping.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Luke M @ Mar 30 2021, 07:41 PM) *

Hi Jeff,

Lets hope it gets here undamaged. Last two items didn't fair so well in shipping.

beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Luke M @ Mar 30 2021, 07:41 PM) *

Hi Jeff,

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.