Full Version: Just another Factory 6 being fixed up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Luke M
QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 26 2020, 04:04 PM) *

Top overhaul or full build ?,will be a quick car with those plans beer.gif

Going all in.. Bottom to top end.
Luke M
Started the tear down on the 3.2. I'm gonna remove the head studs then split the case.
Supertech head studs are going in so these need to be removed. I hope none of them snap like my brothers 3.0.

3.4 MMS p/c's and a bunch of other parts are on order. It should all be here next week..

Mark Henry
For the Supertec head studs you'll need a thread reformer tap. Don't use a regular tap as it will cut too much of the threads.
I had to do this on my 3.0 or the studs wouldn't go in far enough.
mepstein
I removed studs from about 25 engine cases when I worked at the shop. If you have 2 people, one heats up the case right at the register where the stud descends into the case. The other is removing pre heated studs from the case. I always hit it with map gas for 2-3 minutes before twisting the stud. My feeling is it not only helped to keep the stud from breaking but it was easier on the aluminum and especially magnesium threads in the case. If the stud wasn't easy to turn after a couple minutes of heat, it got another minute or 2 and would always come out easily.

Divlar studs are strange. I watched someone reuse them because they looked perfect and the next morning we came in to a couple broken studs on the floor. While we were standing there, we heard a ping, watched a broken stud with the nut on top, jump out of the head and fall to the ground. The engine got all new studs...
Luke M
Got the head studs all off without any issues..

Gonna split the case on Sunday.

I did get an update from PMS on the 915/Bott 916 trans. The tech was wrapping it up on Friday so it should be shipped out this coming week.
Cairo94507
Luke - I am loving that transaxle wub.gif
rgalla9146
Looking good Luke
Make hay while the sun shines !
Luke M
I split the case today.. Main bearings looked good but the lay shaft bearings are showing wear. I need to get the rods removed from the crank then all parts off to the machine shop.
Luke M
I received my converted 915/916 Bott trans back from PMS today.
I also purchased the PMS shift linkage kit to work with the new setup.
piratenanner.gif
gms
Nice addition to the build
smilie_pokal.gif
raynekat
QUOTE(Luke M @ Sep 29 2019, 07:59 AM) *

Kroon wire harness co. sent me an email that my new chassis harness is done and ready to be shipped. I should see that in about two weeks. Gerard sent me a few pic of it so enjoy. drooley.gif

That Kroon replacement chassis harness will be killer.
Expensive buy worth it on your project without question.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Luke M
It's a nice wire harness for sure but there maybe a wiring issue that Kroon was not aware of. I need to check it out to confirm. RD is now making a replacement 914-6 harness as well. I believe the price is about the same.
IronHillRestorations
Pretty sure RD harness is much less
bigkensteele
Are you sending the machine work to Ollies?
Luke M
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ May 20 2020, 06:12 PM) *

Are you sending the machine work to Ollies?

Machine work is being done by a local Porsche shop. www.ekstens.com
Ollies was a 6 to 8 week turnaround when I called.
Luke M
Well after months of waiting (thanks to covid) I finally received my Celette 914 bench fixtures. I'm going to get the 6 off the current fixtures and back on the rotisserie for blasting. Once the blasting is done then it'll be on these Celette fixtures for the chassis repairs.
mepstein
What type of blasting are you having done?
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Luke M @ Jul 14 2020, 05:33 PM) *

Well after months of waiting (thanks to covid) I finally received my Celette 914 bench fixtures. I'm going to get the 6 off the current fixtures and back on the rotisserie for blasting. Once the blasting is done then it'll be on these Celette fixtures for the chassis repairs.

Holy Grail...…..I got a nos left rear fender..pm me an offer..or trade for a right
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Luke M @ Jul 14 2020, 07:33 PM) *

WOW.
Luke, thats a lot of equipment !
I see parts that are easy to understand for our cars and others that must be
bases or mounts.
Are there 911 parts too ?
Great way to go.
Unbelievable score.
Be careful, that is some heavy equipment.
Get to it.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Luke M @ Jul 14 2020, 03:33 PM) *

first.gif first.gif first.gif
Luke M
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 15 2020, 04:25 AM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Jul 14 2020, 07:33 PM) *

WOW.
Luke, thats a lot of equipment !
I see parts that are easy to understand for our cars and others that must be
bases or mounts.
Are there 911 parts too ?
Great way to go.
Unbelievable score.
Be careful, that is some heavy equipment.
Get to it.

Hi Rory,

All of the fixtures are for the 914 and 914-6. Only difference for the 6 is the special firewall engine mount bracket which is here as well. The front end fixtures could be used for the 911 up to 89 I believe. The cross beams are what the fixtures mount to then to the bench. I need to remove the 6 and current fixtures to figure it all out. I'm missing some mounting bolts but I should be able to pick those up locally. Yes they are heavy pieces and definitely a two person job setting it all up.

As far as blasting goes, the blast co says a few different media will be used. Harder grit for chassis vs panels which gets lighter so panels do not warp. Then all gets epoxy coated. I need to get all of the seam sealer out prior to blasting. That's gonna be a fun day.
Gint
QUOTE(Luke M @ May 20 2020, 07:11 AM) *
It's a nice wire harness for sure but there maybe a wiring issue that Kroon was not aware of. I need to check it out to confirm. RD is now making a replacement 914-6 harness as well. I believe the price is about the same.

And that issue is that? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Looks great so far.

Subscribed
Luke M
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 11 2020, 10:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ May 20 2020, 07:11 AM) *

And that issue is that? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Looks great so far.

Subscribed

Glenn and I did check over my Kroon harness to see if it had the same issues as the one he installed. My harness seams to be wired correctly. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the RD harness but I already have the Kroon harness on hand.
gerakroo
QUOTE(Luke M @ May 20 2020, 04:11 PM) *

Hi Luke, can you explain about the "possible wiring issue" in the fan connector ? We just checked the pictures and 5 other original 914-6 harnesses but they're all the same and identical to the new one we produce ?, Red , top left, white-green top right, white-yellow, under left, white, under right ?. Many 914-6's around the world are equipped with a new wiring loom delivered by us and this is the first time we hear about this ?

Click to view attachment
gerakroo
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ May 20 2020, 09:03 PM) *

How much less ? I think that a comparison can only be made if you put both sets next to each other and compare them in detail. I wonder if RD delivers exactly the same as what we do? I would love to see some more detailed pictures of the RD 914-6 harness set ?
Luke M
QUOTE(gerakroo @ Oct 19 2020, 11:49 AM) *

Hi Luke, can you explain about the "possible wiring issue" in the fan connector ? We just checked the pictures and 5 other original 914-6 harnesses but they're all the same and identical to the new one we produce ?, Red , top left, white-green top right, white-yellow, under left, white, under right ?. Many 914-6's around the world are equipped with a new wiring loom delivered by us and this is the first time we hear about this ?

Click to view attachment

Hi Gerard,

My harness that you made seams to be ok. There was an issue with the harness that Glenn put in for a customer. Guess there were some wires not located in the proper pins for the ignition. Another member was asking for the fan housing wiring and after looking into it my kroon harness seams correct. My factory 6 harness was tampered with prior to me owning it. That's where the confusion set in but got all worked out.
Looks like the RD 6 harness sells for $2500.00 USD.

http://www.restoration-design.com/store/pr.../914-612-019-10
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(gerakroo @ Oct 19 2020, 11:58 AM) *

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ May 20 2020, 09:03 PM) *

How much less ? I think that a comparison can only be made if you put both sets next to each other and compare them in detail. I wonder if RD delivers exactly the same as what we do? I would love to see some more detailed pictures of the RD 914-6 harness set ?

I’ll get pictures of the RD 6 chassis harness in the next week or so. Nothing against Kroon at, looks like you make a fine product. I’ve been buying from RD prior to the new ownership which is one of a few reasons I went with them
gerakroo
QUOTE(Luke M @ Oct 20 2020, 05:34 PM) *

QUOTE(gerakroo @ Oct 19 2020, 11:49 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Hi Gerard,

My harness that you made seams to be ok. There was an issue with the harness that Glenn put in for a customer. Guess there were some wires not located in the proper pins for the ignition. Another member was asking for the fan housing wiring and after looking into it my kroon harness seams correct. My factory 6 harness was tampered with prior to me owning it. That's where the confusion set in but got all worked out.
Looks like the RD 6 harness sells for $2500.00 USD.

http://www.restoration-design.com/store/pr.../914-612-019-10

Thank you for your reply Luke, i'm just curious if this price also includes a new engine harness, wiper harness, dash harness, new relay sockets , etc ? (our set does)
peteyd
Our chassis harness sells separately from our engine harness. We do include the relay sockets and the dash harness. We list all our pricing, stock at least one of every item listed on the web shop and shipping of your wiring will usually happen within 2 days of the order.

Gerard, we know you do great work. But we also hold our work to a very high standard. We stand behind our product. Competition breads excellence.

Pete
Luke M
Getting the case ready to assemble. I have all the parts back from the machine shop and last of the back ordered parts are in. I didn't want to remove the outer perimeter case studs to clean the case halves mating surfaces.So I checked a few studs and they came off easily. The case cleaning must have compromised the loctite so all are coming off now to be safe and while I'm at it cleaning the mating surfaces.

Anyone know why Porsche went with the oval locking nuts on the later engines?
I have the nylon lock nuts but not the oval lock style.
altitude411
QUOTE(Luke M @ Oct 24 2020, 01:45 PM) *

Anyone know why Porsche went with the oval locking nuts on the later engines?
I have the nylon lock nuts but not the oval lock style.

Oval locking nuts are better with heat/cool cycles and are less likely to back out. Also not chemically degrading

Luke M
Back at it here... I had to put the engine build on pause while I wait for some piston squirters. I've been working here and there on the Celette to Blachawk fixture issue.
I came up with a fix and pretty much have it squared away. Hopefully I can get it all done this weekend so I can start cutting away by next weekend. I did find an issue with the right front A-arm mounting area. It looks like the car was bottomed out or struck something. That caused the front mounting point to be pushed up between 5 and 8 mm. Looks like I'll need to pull that down before I can mount that fixture. Getting there slowly but surely.
Luke M
Work on mating fixtures to bench..
Luke M
Right A-arm mount issue to be addressed. 5-8 mm upward hit. You can see where it took the hit on the front trunk pan. I need to cut away some of the pan for the cooler install but I'll wait a little to do that. Time to straighten the mount first.
Cairo94507
Very nice table. This is going to be a nice Six. beerchug.gif
Luke M
Front end fixtures are done. I need to rework the mounting plates on the rear before welding those up. I also need to go buy a hydraulic pull style ram to fix the issue at the front A-arm mount. smash.gif
Luke M
Got some new tools... I need to wrap up these rear fixtures and build some braces for the targa to windshield frame.
Luke M
Targa to windshield frame brace is in and got the R/R Q-panel off.
Measurements are dead on so hopefully it'll stay that way.
I'd like to start cutting out the right long by the end of the week.

Anyone have a NOS R/R inner panel???
Now would be the time to replace this otherwise I'll use the RD one.
Root_Werks
What a great project! This is some serious time and effort put into a 914 and it shows. Thanks for sharing the progress!
Cairo94507
Love seeing them stripped down and restored to live a new life. beerchug.gif
Luke M
The chassis is now locked down on the fixtures and the cutting has begun. sawzall-smiley.gif
watsonrx13
You sir are insane and a true craftsman.
Luke M
Did a rough cutout of the right long. Now to cut and grind away all of the old long section. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif
djway
WOW
Tools are the best ......
Luke M
I spent all of Friday afternoon drilling out spot weld, cutting, and grinding away all of the old long section. What a PITA. Got it all cleaned up and ready so I can test fit the new NOS long today. I have some other work to get done before I can install it for good. I need to get a few more parts from RD. I also need to track down a plug end for the spot welder and rework the spot welder arms. I'm gonna try and use the spot welder as much as I can then finish with plug welds.
mate914
QUOTE(Luke M @ Jan 30 2021, 08:11 AM) *

I spent all of Friday afternoon drilling out spot weld, cutting, and grinding away all of the old long section. What a PITA. Got it all cleaned up and ready so I can test fit the new NOS long today. I have some other work to get done before I can install it for good. I need to get a few more parts from RD. I also need to track down a plug end for the spot welder and rework the spot welder arms. I'm gonna try and use the spot welder as much as I can then finish with plug welds.

Floppy disk for grinders are simple the best. I'm not sure if your using one or not.
They blend welds and remove material fast.
I see your doing a lot of work, but your pictures are always clean?
Looks very good.
Matt

rgalla9146

Luke you certainly don't shy away from hard work.
WOW! .... what a project.
You've prepared well with tools and parts for the job too.
One step at a time, you'll get it done. You've done plenty already.
Too bad you're so far away. I'd like to visit and lend a hand.
Be careful.
One word of caution about grinding, protect your eyes, ears, the other cars and
glass in the area. The damage often isn't noticed untill it's too late.
Forge on.
Luke M
Hi Rory,

Working away for sure. I'd like the car in paint by May. I know I can , I know I can...lol..
I move the Cayenne outside when I grind/weld. And yes I make a pretty good mess but I also like my garage as clean as possible..lol..

Test fitted the long. Needs some fine tuning but overall fits well.
Taking a lunch break then back to it. beer.gif beer3.gif
IronHillRestorations
piratenanner.gif
BillC
Very cool!

I'd love to have a frame bench some day.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.