Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magnus Walker 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
jor
QUOTE(stevegm @ Dec 10 2015, 03:52 PM) *

Ut oh. Is that a requirement to be a member of the club?

If it is, I'm IN. biggrin.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(jor @ Dec 10 2015, 06:56 PM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Dec 10 2015, 03:52 PM) *

Ut oh. Is that a requirement to be a member of the club?

If it is, I'm IN. biggrin.gif

I guess I probably helped push a 914 at Okteenerfest. And I know I have used a flatbed to bring a couple home. So, maybe I'm in too.

If you love the 914, I count you as my friend. Push, pull, drive, stock, outlaw, no windshield, no targa bar (yes, I cut the targa bar off of one in the 80s, I am sad to admit), whatever. We need all the friends we can get.
Mike Bellis
I met him a few different times. He is a nice, down to earth guy that has been very fortunate. I hope he joins 914 World.

Too many jealous bitches here I think... bootyshake.gif Stop hatin'...

He even took a fancy to my 914 an gave me an award at the PCA LA Escape event. Might be because I was the only Porsche owner that built a car and gets hands dirty... biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
scotty b
sigh....yep, we're all jealous because you didn't have the experience/knowledge of him we do. He liked your car...... OF COURSE you're his buddy now.

Now let's look at the bigger Magnus

I met him at Amelia a couple years ago. Yep, He's a really down to earth, genuine fan.

BUT look at his posts on Early S, Pelican, Rennlist etc. It is ALL about Magnus. He NEVER posts anything on anyone else's threads. He rarely answers questions in his own build threads other post to him. He is not a member of the " community " A LOT of people take offense to that

Yes I understand being inundated with PM's, emails etc, but the fact remains he is a PORSCHE guy, and he is a PORSCHE guy for himself. He does NOTHING as far as participating in the community as whole. He participates in the MW threads and that is it. He was essentially run off the Early S registry when one guy finally opened his mouth stating just that ,and then the flood gates opened. AFAIK MW never posted on that forum again. The same backlash has happened on Pelican, but I'm sure you know all of this. rolleyes.gif

Like I said, I met and talked to him for a bit, I have NO doubt his is has the real passion for the marque, but his public persona is nothing but self promotion. I'm not even going to get into his driving style/skills. I can't cast that stone, as I'll openly admit to driving like a hoon at times. The difference is I, ( and I have no doubt he ) actually know how to handle a car. We all make mistakes and do stupid shit, you play with fire you're going to get burned at some point
ThePaintedMan
agree.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Dec 10 2015, 08:29 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif
I agree too.
Magnus Walker will be the next Janis Joplin in 10-years & beyond.
Like him or not, 914-World should be honored to have him spend time on the forum with us. smilie_pokal.gif
I like his Porsche cars, just wish he would get a haircut. happy11.gif Showing my age saying that.
Tom
RickS
Love him or not, once he discovers what great platforms 914s are for hot rodding and gets videos and exposure, values will certainly go up. It might be just a little, or a few grand. Only time will tell.
Old Yella
Just follow your own path don't worry about what anyone else is doing.

popcorn[1].gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(pete000 @ Dec 8 2015, 03:11 PM) *

Wonder if he will be bringing his Entourage and followers to the formally "Rusty Parts Swap Meet and Animal Flesh Roast Festival" swap meet ?

I have a nice rear bumper I will let go for $4500.00

I would like to see him show up at my swap meet. Planning the next one for Feb.

Bruce
matthepcat
Cool Mike! What engine was in the car at the time? Rotary or Audi?

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 10 2015, 04:48 PM) *

I met him a few different times. He is a nice, down to earth guy that has been very fortunate. I hope he joins 914 World.

Too many jealous bitches here I think... bootyshake.gif Stop hatin'...

He even took a fancy to my 914 an gave me an award at the PCA LA Escape event. Might be because I was the only Porsche owner that built a car and gets hands dirty... biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

pete000
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 10 2015, 11:43 AM) *

Until I see him push start his or another persons 914 or see one of his 914s on a flatbed , then I will be satisfied he is one of us, hahaha

I have meet all these qualifications on more than one occasion ! aktion035.gif

euro911
Had a couple of emails back and forth, but never met the man in person. I had planned to visit his shop, mainly to check out the restoration progress on his '64 911 (we're both fortunate to share in that aspect of the hobby) - I just have too many irons in the fire right now.

It would be interesting to see what he has in mind for his 914s too ...

As for driving skills ... I've pulled some hair-brained stunts over the years too, just like a lot of us out here have. Who am I to hold it against him? - I'm sure he knows he had a close call and hopefully learned a valuable lesson.
Cracker
1stworks
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 10 2015, 12:43 PM) *

Until I see him push start his or another persons 914 or see one of his 914s on a flatbed , then I will be satisfied he is one of us, hahaha

Lol it sucks.....

IPB Image
mepstein
Scatty is right. Most car forums aren't just show, tell, then sell. The members and vendors on this site participate and give very willingly of their time and knowledge.
jeffzm
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 8 2015, 10:04 PM) *

I only met the guy once, this past June at the concours here in Cincy. His wife was there. She did not look healthy, but there was no question that they loved one another. They were both very kind, although she clearly seemed tired of all of the glad-handing. It was pretty hot that day.

Do a little research and see what they did together. It is an "American Dream" story. The kind that I will share with my young daughters - that they were fortunate enough to be born in a country where anything is possible, so long as you have a work-ethic and a vision.

In Magnus' case, he wasn't even born here, but he came here to realize his dream and potential, and he did. That is even more remarkable! And for that, and one laps in judgment, he is being blasted here.

It is very seldom that I am disappointed by what I get from this forum, but this thread is one glaring exception.

Very well said. It seems there have been very loose judgements made about him in the Porsche world and I really have never understood why.
He has created a business out of his passion which I think is the ultimate. His story is way cool and has done this by persistence and creativity. Some people can't handle that, I have met him several times and always a cool guy.
EdwardBlume
Porsche is about the people. MW is welcome here in any form, as is Jerry Seinfeld, and Jay Leno. Just car guys. P-car guys.
cary
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 10 2015, 10:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 10 2015, 12:21 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif

agree.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 10 2015, 11:43 AM) *

That's funny.... Mike's got it right..
cary
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 11 2015, 07:21 AM) *

Porsche is about the people. MW is welcome here in any form, as is Jerry Seinfeld, and Jay Leno. Just car guys. P-car guys.

agree.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(cary @ Dec 11 2015, 07:24 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 10 2015, 10:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 10 2015, 12:21 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif

agree.gif

Why not... agree.gif
wes
Here's an upside down photo for all you troubled people!Click to view attachment I talk with McGinnis at Rennsport, seemed like a very nice guy with a lot of knowledge. I'm amazed at the response here as a lot of guys on have done some pretty strange things to cars and wrecked cars as well. I can't imagine why it's such a big deal,,, jealousy!
Dave_Darling

Well, I dunno about Seinfeld.... wink.gif

Seriously, the level of antipathy here is pretty shocking! Magnus wouldn't be the first person in the P-car hobby to be a shameless self-promoter. For this of you with gray hair or with a bathtub fixation, try to remember Harry Pellow, "The Maestro". From what I can tell, he was an ass, but nobody denies his contributions to the hobby.

We've had more than one or two people on this BBS who seem more interested in self-promotion than anything else, as well. Some have been run off (*cough*George*cough*) but some are still around. Some might even be surprised to hear that other people think they are on that list, and I'm sure that everyone has different opinions about that anyway.

Magnus seems like someone who really does "get it". He may not be a super DIY type of guy, but there's room in the hobby for that as well. He has a passion for the cars, and that comes through.

I'm interested to see what he does with the 914s. I'm hoping it is something I never thought of, or is done in a way I hadn't thought of, but even if I hate the result I'm glad to see new people enjoying our cars.

If he does show up here, I will welcome him.

....Oh, and as for his "horrible irresponsible driving", please raise your hand if you've never done something stupid in a car... For most of us, the difference is that there weren't cameras on hand to record it, nor a whole bunch of people who could watch that recording and comment on it.

--DD
SirAndy
I'm pretty sure if i had the patience to read all the posts in this thread i would probably find something someone said somewhere that i could agree with, so here it is:
agree.gif
euro911
QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 11 2015, 05:26 AM) *
Who the hell is he? I've never heard of him prior to this thread outbreak...looks like a homeless bum? ...

T
So do I ... at least my wife says so. But then again, she jumps my shit when I wear good clothes to work on cars, so ... confused24.gif
Cracker
brant
QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 11 2015, 11:24 AM) *

Who the hell is he? I've never heard of him prior to this thread outbreak...looks like a homeless bum? ...

T
So do I ... at least my wife says so. But then again, she jumps my shit when I wear good clothes to work on cars, so ... confused24.gif

my 83 year old neighbor came over this summer when I had my garage clothes on...
he looked me over and said; "maybe you need to buy some new clothes"

not a question, more of a statement in the way an 83 year old, tells a younger person what to do

of course my full beard, holey clothes with lots of grease stains, and mickey's big mouth skull cap don't make me look too presentable.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 11 2015, 10:01 AM) *

Seriously, the level of antipathy here is pretty shocking! Magnus wouldn't be the first person in the P-car hobby to be a shameless self-promoter. For this of you with gray hair or with a bathtub fixation, try to remember Harry Pellow, "The Maestro". From what I can tell, he was an ass, but nobody denies his contributions to the hobby.

We've had more than one or two people on this BBS who seem more interested in self-promotion than anything else, as well. Some have been run off (*cough*George*cough*) but some are still around. Some might even be surprised to hear that other people think they are on that list, and I'm sure that everyone has different opinions about that anyway.

Magnus seems like someone who really does "get it". He may not be a super DIY type of guy, but there's room in the hobby for that as well. He has a passion for the cars, and that comes through.

I'm interested to see what he does with the 914s. I'm hoping it is something I never thought of, or is done in a way I hadn't thought of, but even if I hate the result I'm glad to see new people enjoying our cars.

....Oh, and as for his "horrible irresponsible driving", please raise your hand if you've never done something stupid in a car... For most of us, the difference is that there weren't cameras on hand to record it, nor a whole bunch of people who could watch that recording and comment on it.

--DD

You are wise beyond your years Dave. biggrin.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 11 2015, 11:07 AM) *

...well I guess there's at least one woman for every bum - there is hope for those kinds (of fella's)! Kinda like an ass for every seat - even if its only one... shades.gif

PS: No one answered so I googled the fella...so he's just a musician? Really? Hilarious.

Tony

QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 11 2015, 01:24 PM) *

T

he's a clothing designer, primarily geared towards musicians. Watch this iconic video for the whole backstory. I do have a LOT of respect for the guy, where he came from, what he has become, all on his own.

https://vimeo.com/44410797
euro911
Well lookie here

Click to view attachment
DavidSweden
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXdq3lGwrCk

and then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmpFRdi0ddo

However I am also not perfect

IPB Image
pete000
You have to admit he is a self promotion expert, just look here, 7 pages deep in just a few days!

wndsnd
yellowsleep[1].gif

yellowsleep[1].gif

yellowsleep[1].gif
altitude411
agree.gif

deadhorse.gif

yawn.gif
Dave_Darling
Needs a big dent in the side... wink.gif

QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 11 2015, 01:02 PM) *

Well lookie here

Maltese Falcon
Just a thought on a caricature penned by Robert Crumb, circa 1968 " Zap Comix"....a dude + a long beard with a Hot Rod van . Deja vu ?Click to view attachment
RARE 6
QUOTE(pete000 @ Dec 11 2015, 01:41 PM) *

You have to admit he is a self promotion expert, just look here, 7 pages deep in just a few days!

...without a single comment from MW, who didn't start this thread. Self promotion?
mgp4591
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Dec 11 2015, 02:27 PM) *

I wonder what his Saab story is... shades.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(RARE 6 @ Dec 11 2015, 07:58 PM) *

QUOTE(pete000 @ Dec 11 2015, 01:41 PM) *

...without a single comment from MW, who didn't start this thread. Self promotion?

I could not agree more. The inmates have taken over the asylum, and beating a dead horse must be the craft project for the day.
914_teener
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 11 2015, 10:01 AM) *

--DD

Click to view attachment

Well.....ah.....I wasn't driving this day but I did have a camera. As far as Slits...he wasn't driving either.

I'd like to see Magnus with a NARP hat on. That would be cool!

Now, back to the regular programming.
somd914
So he drives like a typical DC area driver when the beltway isn't at gridlock, which isn't all that often... Agree his driving style is not ideal, but I'm sure we have our members who are guilty also...

But it does amaze me - thread after thread on this forum discussing how our teeners get little respect and hopeful threads that some day our cars will command the prices of 356's and long hood 911's.

Here comes a guy who will bring attention, and deserved or not or tasteful or not (all subject to personal opinion), good attention to our cars, and most seem upset by it.

It's a fickle World...
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(somd914 @ Dec 12 2015, 06:04 AM) *

So he drives like a typical DC area driver when the beltway isn't at gridlock, which isn't all that often... Agree his driving style is not ideal, but I'm sure we have our members who are guilty also...

But it does amaze me - thread after thread on this forum discussing how our teeners get little respect and hopeful threads that some day our cars will command the prices of 356's and long hood 911's.

Here comes a guy who will bring attention, and deserved or not or tasteful or not (all subject to personal opinion), good attention to our cars, and most seem upset by it.

It's a fickle World...

I couldnt have said it better myself..... But I'll try....

av-943.gif
wndsnd
Glad to have him at my barbeque. I am cool with that.

Just dont let him lead the ride. Put him in the middle somewhere. driving.gif
76-914
Any individual that can stir up this much commotion is my kind of guy. beerchug.gif
Mueller
Prediction here:

Magnus* will install 3.6 or larger /6 in one of these cars and some noob car "journalist" will rave about this being the 1st 914 they've ever seen with such a large /6 'cause you know they only came with 2.0 /6 from the factory.

*not a diss to Magnus at all, not his fault not everyone knows it's been done tons of times.

Hank914

Click to view attachment

So is the 914 mounting a sheep? sheeplove.gif Or did the Teener mistake a rock for one? sheeplove.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 12 2015, 12:54 PM) *

Prediction here:

Magnus* will install 3.6 or larger /6 in one of these cars and some noob car "journalist" will rave about this being the 1st 914 they've ever seen with such a large /6 'cause you know they only came with 2.0 /6 from the factory.

*not a diss to Magnus at all, not his fault not everyone knows it's been done tons of times.

Our shop is planning a 3.8 mfi engine for a GT build. Should be fun.
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 12 2015, 11:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 12 2015, 12:54 PM) *

Prediction here:

Our shop is planning a 3.8 mfi engine for a GT build. Should be fun.

Very interesting, please keep us posted on the project.
Menmojo
Just posted to magnus's Instagram.Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.