Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magnus Walker 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
MoveQik
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 8 2015, 11:04 PM) *

In Magnus' case, he wasn't even born here, but he came here to realize his dream and potential, and he did. That is even more remarkable! And for that, and one laps in judgment, he is being blasted here.

It is very seldom that I am disappointed by what I get from this forum, but this thread is one glaring exception.

Insert "slow clap" here. beerchug.gif
RARE 6
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 8 2015, 10:04 PM) *

I only met the guy once, this past June at the concours here in Cincy. His wife was there. She did not look healthy, but there was no question that they loved one another. They were both very kind, although she clearly seemed tired of all of the glad-handing. It was pretty hot that day.

Do a little research and see what they did together. It is an "American Dream" story. The kind that I will share with my young daughters - that they were fortunate enough to be born in a country where anything is possible, so long as you have a work-ethic and a vision.

In Magnus' case, he wasn't even born here, but he came here to realize his dream and potential, and he did. That is even more remarkable! And for that, and one laps in judgment, he is being blasted here.

It is very seldom that I am disappointed by what I get from this forum, but this thread is one glaring exception.

Agree wholeheartedly. More than a few commenters on this thread seem to enjoy the "holier than thou" attitude they decry in others who don't appreciate 914s as much as we do.
More power to Walker...he's expanded the vision of what modified Porsches can become and added much to the car culture in general. I see a lot of cars on this forum that could easily elicit a WTF comment, but also embrace "to each his own" and usually am impressed by the effort and passion, if not the result.
The -6 we bought new, absent some easily reversed suspension mods done back in our PCA DE days, will retain its 99% original form. It shares garage space with a restomod FJ55 Land Cruiser with an SBC conversion. Soon I'll start on a Model A 60s-style retro rod.
Enthusiasm comes in all shapes and colors. We should embrace that, not try to put fences around it or bend and shape it into our own narrow view.

ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 9 2015, 01:04 AM) *

And for that, and one laps in judgment, he is being blasted here.

That's the problem. It's not one lapse in judgment. There are several videos surfacing of him racing with other cars well over 100 mph on public roads. He is also a PCA Driving Instructor and should know better. This is simply the first time it ended in an accident, and one that ALMOST killed his passenger.

Aside from that, yes, he's a good businessman. But just because one is talented at marketing or promoting oneself does not make a skilled car designer, fabricator or all-around wrench. This is a public forum and we're allowed to critique anyone we like, within the bounds of tastefulness. That's also why I enjoy this place. You may like Magnus and think he's god's gift to cars. I personally think a lot of people are jumping on his bandwagon because you perceive it to make your car more valuable, and to be brutally honest, there are guys here like Chris F., Scotty B, Eric Shea, etc that have already displayed more skill and imagination and have been doing it a lot longer. I'd prefer to support them than Porsche's marketing go-to.
1stworks
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Dec 9 2015, 11:49 AM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 9 2015, 01:04 AM) *

And for that, and one laps in judgment, he is being blasted here.

That's the problem. It's not one lapse in judgment. There are several videos surfacing of him racing well over 100 mph on public roads. He is also a PCA Driving Instructor and should know better. This is simply the first time it ended in an accident, and one that ALMOST killed his passenger.

Aside from that, yes, he's a good businessman. But just because one is talented at marketing or promoting oneself does not make a skilled car designer, fabricator or all-around wrench. This is a public forum and we're allowed to critique anyone we like, within the bounds of tastefulness. That's also why I enjoy this place. You may like Magnus and think he's god's gift to cars. I personally think a lot of people are jumping on his bandwagon because you perceive it to make your car more valuable, and to be brutally honest, there are guys here like Chris F., Scotty B, Eric Shea, etc that have already displayed more skill and imagination and have been doing it a lot longer. I'd prefer to support them than Porsche's marketing go-to.

Lol I disagree, dude has way more imagination and creativity......Just saying,everyone has
An opinion and I've seen some those cars

jor
I personally think a lot of people are jumping on his bandwagon because you perceive it to make your car more valuable, and to be brutally honest, there are guys here like Chris F., Scotty B, Eric Shea, etc that have already displayed more skill and imagination and have been doing it a lot longer. I'd prefer to support them than Porsche's marketing go-to.

There's room in the hobby and our community for all, I think. Who knows, Magnus might be contracting with Chris, Scotty, or Eric because of their good work?
mepstein
QUOTE(jor @ Dec 9 2015, 03:16 PM) *

I personally think a lot of people are jumping on his bandwagon because you perceive it to make your car more valuable, and to be brutally honest, there are guys here like Chris F., Scotty B, Eric Shea, etc that have already displayed more skill and imagination and have been doing it a lot longer. I'd prefer to support them than Porsche's marketing go-to.

There's room in the hobby and our community for all, I think. Who knows, Magnus might be contracting with Chris, Scotty, or Eric because of their good work?

Eric's brakes have already prettied up Maggie's cars.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Dec 9 2015, 12:49 PM) *

and one that ALMOST killed his passenger.

That's a bit dramatic. She walked away and did a news segment on her experience the same day. If anything, he almost killed himself since he hit the trailer on the driver's side of his 277.
billh1963
QUOTE(1stworks @ Dec 9 2015, 02:41 PM) *

Lol I disagree, dude has way more imagination and creativity......Just saying,everyone has
An opinion and I've seen some those cars

Ouch.... popcorn[1].gif
PlantMan
I would cut the guy a little slack.

This conversation sounds a lot like the conversations you read over on the woodworking forums and people blasting Norm Abrams from New Yankee Workshop/This Old House about being a quality woodworker/carpenter because he sometimes use drywall screws in his projects....Everyone is allowed a minor lapse in judgment. Good for Magnus in making something of his life and hopefully adding a little joy to someone's day when they see him on You Tube, etc.

The world is a crappy place right now especially if you are raising kids and are concerned about their wellbeing.

Thanks for guys like Magnus, Norm Abrams, and the 914World for giving us regular folk a place to go and step away from daily life for a while.
jfort
He's a Porsche guy. That's enough for me.
EdwardBlume
MW is a good guy! There I said it!

EdwardBlume
His plan with the 914 is..... To do very little. We will see if he gets the bug and goes nuts. I hope so!
colingreene
I know hes wanted one for a while. He and I had talked about him buying a 914-6 that i was helping to sell but it never worked out.
Im not worried about any of it. Hopefully something cool comes out of this.
Mueller
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 9 2015, 03:08 PM) *

His plan with the 914 is..... To do very little. We will see if he gets the bug and goes nuts. I hope so!

My kind of guy, I've had my 914 for 10 months and I too have done very little to it, hahaha
turk22
I got in an accident once, driving too fast on a road after a rain, rear-ended the car in front of me. Bloodied my nose on the steering wheel. I was wrong, and I should have known better...

guess I don't deserve my 914 either...

It's like complaining there are too many 914 restoration threads in the garage forum...that would never happen on 914World... right?? WTF.gif
pete000
At least he realized to buy two. Always good to have a back up while the other is up in the air on jack stands.

My wife wonders if both of mine will ever have the wheels on at the same time !
Amenson
QUOTE(pete000 @ Dec 9 2015, 04:21 PM) *

My wife wonders if both of mine will ever have the wheels on at the same time !

My wife want's me to put mine back on jackstands so that I don't do something like Magnus. driving.gif

Larmo63
"He's a Porsche guy. That's good enough for me."

Amen.
stevegm
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 9 2015, 07:46 PM) *

"He's a Porsche guy. That's good enough for me."

Amen.

agree.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(turk22 @ Dec 9 2015, 04:19 PM) *

I got in an accident once, driving too fast on a road after a rain, rear-ended the car in front of me. Bloodied my nose on the steering wheel. I was wrong, and I should have known better...

It's like complaining there are too many 914 restoration threads in the garage forum...that would never happen on 914World... right?? WTF.gif

I'm guessing you didn't see the video of him racing a Honda on the freeway weaving in and out of traffic? Who knows how many other times he's done that yet it wasn't recorded or there wasn't an incident?

Is there a pattern here or just bad luck having these 2 things brought out in the open?
1stworks
I'm guessing you didn't see the video of him racing a Honda on the freeway weaving in and out of traffic? Who knows how many other times he's done that yet it wasn't recorded or there wasn't an incident?

Is there a pattern here or just bad luck having these 2 things brought out in the open?

Really.....lol

I'd much rather the roads b fill with MW drivers rather than a bunch inattentive
Texting drivers......

Just saying confused24.gif
Mueller

Really.....lol

I'd much rather the roads b fill with MW drivers rather than a bunch inattentive
Texting drivers......

I might have to agree with you on that one!
'73-914kid
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 9 2015, 04:54 PM) *

QUOTE(turk22 @ Dec 9 2015, 04:19 PM) *

And what, you've never done anything stupid in your 914?

I'd say a rather large percentage of us with fun cars have done stupid shit with them. That's nothing new. The ONLY reason these are issues is because he is a high profile and very polarizing person.

As if Jay Leno has never received speeding/reckless driving ticket before for hauling ass on the freeway, or for dicking around up in the Malibu Canyons, yet he is always viewed as an ambassador for the hobby.

Definitely a double standard within the community.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 9 2015, 05:11 PM) *

Really.....lol

Texting drivers......

I might have to agree with you on that one!

Here in the EB distracted driving occurs daily....
EdwardBlume
Shit really?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5353069590.html
av-943.gif
1stworks
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 9 2015, 06:17 PM) *

lol-2.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 9 2015, 05:17 PM) *

I guess dropping Jerry Seinfields name as being a 914 owner just did not have the same appeal.

I do like the rims on the car, real minilites?
G e o r g e

that is funny ar15.gif

stevegm
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 9 2015, 08:17 PM) *

Wow. Your kidding me. Already?
1stworks
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 9 2015, 06:23 PM) *

I guess dropping Jerry Seinfields name as being a 914 owner just did not have the same appeal.

Carol Shelby?
pete000
I will let my 74 go for $150,000.00 and I will include a MW hat and decal set !
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 9 2015, 05:23 PM) *

If I were selling that car, especially in the Bay area, I would bring out the big gun - Caitlyn Jenner once owned a '76 914. cheer.gif
Johny Blackstain
I really have no issues with the man other than I think he's in desperate need of a haircut biggrin.gif
dangerranger01
I think the guy makes some nice artwork out of these cars, and isn't afraid to drive them. The changes he makes won't be noticed by most, but those that know can appreciate it. I look forward to see what his vision is for a 914.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Dec 9 2015, 07:21 PM) *

I really have no issues with the man other than I think he's in desperate need of a haircut biggrin.gif

Well, then you obviously haven't seen the videos of him driving like a school bus operator who is getting payed to be there on time.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(stevegm @ Dec 9 2015, 05:25 PM) *

We know the seller. He's a good guy! Just too funny putting MW into instant 914 notoriety!
billh1963
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 10 2015, 02:12 AM) *

We know the seller. He's a good guy! Just too funny putting MW into instant 914 notoriety!

The car is listed in the classifieds
stevegm
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 10 2015, 02:12 AM) *

Ya, I like him. And I like his angle on the cars. But I agree that a lot of people have been modifying these cars for a long time. Take Marty's car or Chappy's for example. Amazing builds.
mr2by4
I think it is frustrating to people to see someone getting credit for ideas that are not their own or even that original because they are better at self-promotion. Despite his "demeanor" or how he interviews, we all see how hard he works at self-promotion and some of us were raised to think that modesty is preferable. Not that self-promotion is wrong, this is just my theory of why some may have such a negative response to this guy.
Mueller
QUOTE(mr2by4 @ Dec 10 2015, 04:47 AM) *

I think it is frustrating to people to see someone getting credit for ideas that are not their own or even that original because they are better at self-promotion. Despite his "demeanor" or how he interviews, we all see how hard he works at self-promotion and some of us were raised to think that modesty is preferable. Not that self-promotion is wrong, this is just my theory of why some may have such a negative response to this guy.

Some of this could be the fault of the writers that just don't know or care that many of the small mods/features have been done before yet they wax poetic for their story that makes it sound like he is the 1st to do something like that.

thieuster
90 posts since the OP posted the heads up about MW obtaining 2 914s. About 30% of the posts is about the person MW, his driving - and what's not to like about him. It's like reading schoolkids' WhatsApp messages about classmates.

Back to cars perhaps?

For me the 914 fraternity stands for the open minded attitude towards people who've modded their cars. Over on the British TR Register, you're slaughtered, hanged and fed to the crows when you consider an engine swap/upgrade. I like the fact that most follow Porsche's motto that you can improve your Porsche. MW follows that tradition. And you can like the outcome of his plans - or not.

And it's not important to know wether he did the modding himself of let a company do it for him! A fair share of people here have hired a company to do work for them on their Teener! I am fully aware of the fact that I'm in a luxurious position by owning a classic car workshop with very skilled ex Porsche mechanics.

MW will add new flavors to the dish: like their taste or not. At least it will spice up the Teener community!

Menno

Eric_Shea
agree.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 10 2015, 12:21 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif
7TPorsh
I liked him. He liked my car; met him at the Petersen. Maybe I was the inspiration? dry.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mueller
Until I see him push start his or another persons 914 or see one of his 914s on a flatbed , then I will be satisfied he is one of us, hahaha
mr2by4
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 10 2015, 11:43 AM) *

Until I see him push start his or another persons 914 or see one of his 914s on a flatbed , then I will be satisfied he is one of us, hahaha

agree.gif
7TPorsh
QUOTE(mr2by4 @ Dec 10 2015, 12:20 PM) *

agree.gif

Ya....probably not one jack stand to be found...
MartyYeoman

Well said!
stevegm
Ut oh. Is that a requirement to be a member of the club?
stevegm
QUOTE(thieuster @ Dec 10 2015, 01:03 PM) *

90 posts since the OP posted the heads up about MW obtaining 2 914s. About 30% of the posts is about the person MW, his driving - and what's not to like about him. It's like reading schoolkids' WhatsApp messages about classmates.

Back to cars perhaps?

For me the 914 fraternity stands for the open minded attitude towards people who've modded their cars. Over on the British TR Register, you're slaughtered, hanged and fed to the crows when you consider an engine swap/upgrade. I like the fact that most follow Porsche's motto that you can improve your Porsche. MW follows that tradition. And you can like the outcome of his plans - or not.

And it's not important to know wether he did the modding himself of let a company do it for him! A fair share of people here have hired a company to do work for them on their Teener! I am fully aware of the fact that I'm in a luxurious position by owning a classic car workshop with very skilled ex Porsche mechanics.

MW will add new flavors to the dish: like their taste or not. At least it will spice up the Teener community!

Menno

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.