Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stolen 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
sixnotfour
must have left the key in it ...joy ride special, 45k for that ,,Id take ins $$$ too..
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 21 2018, 01:54 PM) *

Wayne has 3 962's as well as a lot of other high end Porsches. He just sold his company for big $. I doubt the 914 is even on his mind.

I didn't realize he sold the company. Three 962s? THREE?
burton73
So this sale is in Gardena. Right next to me. It this real? They want ID =DL to join up.

Need the $150 membership to go see the car.

Not sure I want to give them that and 150 for the bigger membership

Bob B
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(burton73 @ Feb 21 2018, 03:05 PM) *

So this sale is in Gardena. Right next to me. It this real? They want ID =DL to join up.

Need the $150 membership to go see the car.

Not sure I want to give them that and 150 for the bigger membership

Bob B

You should go there in person and talk to them before you give them that kind of info and money.
burton73
Called. $150 for the big membership. $10 off for special promo code. They will let you know 1 week before and it costs $25. To go to the yard and look over the car 1 day before the on line and live at the yard sale. So I would be in $165. Before I bid

Some people must know this car? Mr Stone worked there.

The 3.2 and converted 6 is worth some money. Men at work or money at work!

Bob B
unsure.gif
mepstein
problem is that a lot of those auctions have their own shill bidders in the crowd to make sure the cars don't go cheap.
burton73
What do you think this is worth? Looked at the video and Wayne says it has a 911 trans and steel flares.911 front suspension
SirAndy
Did anyone tell Wayne? I woudn't be surprised if he doesn't know ...
popcorn[1].gif
Freezin 914
As much as all of us 914 guys are drooling, someone that knows Wayne should at the least inform him. Anyone that has ever had anything of value stolen would sure like to know what happened to that stolen item. Who knows, maybe even get reunited. P.S. very nice looking car....
pete000
Threw a post up over on his site...

He should buy it back !

Looks like they broke the deck lid and engine cover...
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Feb 21 2018, 05:48 PM) *

As much as all of us 914 guys are drooling, someone that knows Wayne should at the least inform him. Anyone that has ever had anything of value stolen would sure like to know what happened to that stolen item. Who knows, maybe even get reunited. P.S. very nice looking car....

I just posted in a thread on Pelican, not sure if he'll see it though. Someone around here has to know him or know how to get in touch with him

I read that they caught the thief but never found the car. He collected insurance money and bought a race car. So he may not know about this new development.
Freezin 914
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Feb 21 2018, 05:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Feb 21 2018, 05:48 PM) *

I just posted in a thread on Pelican, not sure if he'll see it though. Someone around here has to know him or know how to get in touch with him

I read that they caught the thief but never found the car. He collected insurance money and bought a race car. So he may not know about this new development.

The auction hasn’t started yet. They are waiting on paperwork, so he may have a chance to get it back, if not, you folks with some cash burning a hole in your pockets, time to pony up!
mb911
Cool that they found it but looks like a rough car for 45k.. I know the 3.2 and if it has 915 in it brings thd value up but if you do a quick addition exercise the cost of the good parts is 30k so is the chassis worth 15k?
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 21 2018, 06:28 PM) *

Cool that they found it but looks like a rough car for 45k.. I know the 3.2 and if it has 915 in it brings thd value up but if you do a quick addition exercise the cost of the good parts is 30k so is the chassis worth 15k?

That's what they say the value was prior to the theft/damage. The car was beautiful before some jackals went for a joy ride.
burton73
This car does not run there so a person is taking a chance that it works or what happened to it. Plus you get a salvage bill of sale that put a small cloud over it if a person wanted to get out of it later.

So say a bidder got this for 30,000. Would he be doing good? The 45 that Wayne got was an agreed on value with his insurance co. I do not think he could of sold it for 45m 2 years ago. Or should I say not sure. The paint and the bodywork look bad. Nice wheels but are they real Fuchs of copies.

Bob B
mb911
QUOTE(burton73 @ Feb 21 2018, 05:40 PM) *

This car does not run there so a person is taking a chance that it works or what happened to it. Plus you get a salvage bill of sale that put a small cloud over it if a person wanted to get out of it later.

So say a bidder got this for 30,000. Would he be doing good? The 45 that Wayne got was an agreed on value with his insurance co. I do not think he could of sold it for 45m 2 years ago. Or should I say not sure. The paint and the bodywork look bad. Nice wheels but are they real Fuchs of copies.

Bob B

agree.gif

The flares were never finished just welded on. You can see all 4 seams.
iwanta914-6
Didn't realize that, I only saw it in that poor quality video with Adam Carolla. Still, I would love to have it if I could afford it and fix it up biggrin.gif
Beach914
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Feb 21 2018, 12:16 PM) *

Wayne has 3 962's as well as a lot of other high end Porsches. He just sold his company for big $. I doubt the 914 is even on his mind.

And a RSR and a Brumos 935and a few others. I was invited to go see his 936JR at his man cave at Pelican and was absolutely amazed at his collection of vehicles and toys.
mepstein
QUOTE(Beach914 @ Feb 21 2018, 09:42 PM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Feb 21 2018, 12:16 PM) *

And a RSR and a Brumos 935and a few others. I was invited to go see his 936JR at his man cave at Pelican and was absolutely amazed at his collection of vehicles and toys.

959, ect. I would like to be there for show and tell day.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(burton73 @ Feb 21 2018, 10:40 PM) *

Bob B

I agree that the salvage title is generally a negative. But in this instance, I’d say the story adds to the provenance. As far as the does not run thing, it’s hard to kill a 3.2... this car has been in a video with Adam Corolla, it was owned by the owner of Pelican Parts, it’s almost sauce for the goose. “Why yes it does have a salvage title. Did you read about why?”
EdwardBlume
Per our database, the car was originally Olympic blue and was owned by dstar, a member who now lives in Germany.

Reminds me of Dieter...
Wayne at Pelican Parts
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 21 2018, 11:54 AM) *

Thanks for the kind words. Actually, the 914 was / is the first car I ever bought. I've personally spent about 1,000 hours working on it. When it was stolen, I spent about 150 hours driving through Los Angeles looking for the guy who stole it. Long story, but I did find the guy, and he is now in jail (he was out on parole for rape!). The detective working the case from two years ago phoned me the other day with a tip that they may be on the way to recovering the car. It turned up inside of a stolen trailer about a week ago in Long Beach. I waited almost a year to take the insurance payout, assuming it had been parted out. The car must go to the auction now, but I will be there to bid on it and reclaim it back. I spent several hours there today scoping it out - you need to be a licensed dealer to bid at this auction (I'm setup already there).

So, bottom line, it's very likely to be on it's way back to our location very soon!

Thx,

Wayne
euro911
Glad to hear, Wayne thumb3d.gif
warpig
QUOTE(Wayne at Pelican Parts @ Feb 22 2018, 10:29 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 21 2018, 11:54 AM) *

Thanks for the kind words. Actually, the 914 was / is the first car I ever bought. I've personally spent about 1,000 hours working on it. When it was stolen, I spent about 150 hours driving through Los Angeles looking for the guy who stole it. Long story, but I did find the guy, and he is now in jail (he was out on parole for rape!). The detective working the case from two years ago phoned me the other day with a tip that they may be on the way to recovering the car. It turned up inside of a stolen trailer about a week ago in Long Beach. I waited almost a year to take the insurance payout, assuming it had been parted out. The car must go to the auction now, but I will be there to bid on it and reclaim it back. I spent several hours there today scoping it out - you need to be a licensed dealer to bid at this auction (I'm setup already there).

So, bottom line, it's very likely to be on it's way back to our location very soon!

Thx,

Wayne

aktion035.gif going to pray for no bids but your own piratenanner.gif
falcor75
Good to hear its coming back where it belongs. Keep us posted. smile.gif
Cairo94507
Wow- that is great news. I hope you get it back and take pictures to post so we can all enjoy the reunion. Cheers! beerchug.gif
Krieger
Good luck Wayne!
EdwardBlume
Get the word out. Nobody bid on it.
theer
What a great ending to the story! Good luck, Wayne - hope there's not too much in the way of damage from the theft/abandonment.

theer
Double post
Steve
Good news Wayne!! Hope to see you with the car at a future Pelican Cars & Coffee!!
worn
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Feb 23 2018, 06:14 AM) *

Get the word out. Nobody bid on it.

agree.gif
Mueller
That is great news Wayne, this has movie potential or at least a couple page article in Panorama or 000 smile.gif
iwanta914-6
"nobody bid on it"? Why? Yes he should get the car back, and since this car has sentimental value to Wayne, nobody is going to be able to out bid him. I mean, we already discussed his collection. Regardless, with what it takes to bid in this auction, I don't see there being a lot of action anyway. Just dealers looking to get it cheap and flip it, and Wayne won't let that happen.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Feb 23 2018, 07:13 AM) *

"nobody bid on it"? Why? Yes he should get the car back, and since this car has sentimental value to Wayne, nobody is going to be able to out bid him. I mean, we already discussed his collection. Regardless, with what it takes to bid in this auction, I don't see there being a lot of action anyway. Just dealers looking to get it cheap and flip it, and Wayne won't let that happen.

It just a tip of the hat showing respect for someone who was victimized. I won’t hold it against you for thinking otherwise.

Btw- there are lots of flippers on this site. I don’t hold that against them either.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Feb 23 2018, 11:04 AM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Feb 23 2018, 07:13 AM) *

It just a tip of the hat showing respect for someone who was victimized. I won’t hold it against you for thinking otherwise.

Btw- there are lots of flippers on this site. I don’t hold that against them either.

Yeah, I totally get that! I don't think anyone on here would bid against Wayne especially now that we know he's aware of it and know that he wants it back.
sixnotfour
Good bidding Wayne........guys the Gold 914 that the front hit at auction in WA. state .. was easy 80k invested in it.. I saw helped restore it ..the owner didnt want it back sold for 5k approxx. on it way to Lthuania by boat...

Bottom line those auctions are being watched around the world.

Nick at Eurotech working on itt
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 23 2018, 12:00 PM) *

Good bidding Wayne........guys the Gold 914 that the front hit at auction in WA. state .. was easy 80k invested in it ..the owner didnt want it back sold for 5k approxx. on it way to Lthuania by boat...

Well, the $5K that it sold for at auction tells me that there are not a lot of bidders regardless if they are being watched around the world or not.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Feb 23 2018, 11:03 AM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 23 2018, 12:00 PM) *

Good bidding Wayne........guys the Gold 914 that the front hit at auction in WA. state .. was easy 80k invested in it ..the owner didnt want it back sold for 5k approxx. on it way to Lthuania by boat...

Well, the $5K that it sold for at auction tells me that there are not a lot of bidders regardless if they are being watched around the world or not.

you should have bought and have money ahead ..or you still looking ??
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 23 2018, 12:35 PM) *

Forever looking av-943.gif
sixnotfour
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Feb 23 2018, 11:46 AM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 23 2018, 12:35 PM) *

Forever looking av-943.gif

beerchug.gif
7TPorsh
QUOTE(Krieger @ Feb 23 2018, 06:11 AM) *

Good luck Wayne!

DITTO!
markhoward
Good Luck Wayne! May good Car-ma bring her home.. party.gif
Wayne at Pelican Parts
Bingo. Baby is back home again! The full story is coming soon, but the moral of the story is "don't mess with Wayne". The fellow who stole it went back to jail (he was out on parole). The car has relatively minimal damage that I can see, although I have not been able to get it started (the ignition switch is all "screwdrivered up").

smile.gif

Full story coming soon...

Just to answer some of the questions in this thread. I had about $60K in the car, with $45K in recent work on the suspension, oil cooler, 3.2 teardown, 911 tranny conversion, etc. All it really needed was paint - everything else mechanically was sound. Amazing how much paint seems to count in values! The Fuchs are real Turbo wheels redone by Wiedman, etc.

This car had been neglected by me for a bit, but now that it's back home I'm going to start working on it again. Fiberglass bumpers and decklids will go to the paint shop (along with the metal ones too, just in case I change my mind). I would like to make it into a semi-similar clone of this one: https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/PA18/Par...-9146-gt/545803 It's already about 90% of the way there!

-Wayne

IPB Image
sb914
piratenanner.gif You must be super stoked! Congratulations!
Dion
Nice to hear of a happy ending. Glad for ya Wayne!
iwanta914-6
Awesome, glad it's finally home!
pete000
Hope you didn't have to buy it back from the auction house !
Steve
Congrats!!! Looking forward to seeing it at a Pelican Cars & Coffee!!
Coondog
Good news times 2 this week concerning stolen 914s....... beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.