Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stolen 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
mbseto
QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 25 2016, 08:26 PM) *

Stealing is a horrible thing, but failure to take the initiative to protect your "stuff" is a close second.

So you say the owner of this car is roughly the moral equivalent of the person that stole this car because the owner didn't install the proper alarm?
timothy_nd28
Sadly yes, they even made a television series about car theft called "Bait Car"
Cairo94507
Alarms do no good here in CA. Nuisance and nothing more. Rest assured I will take measures to be sure (absent teleportation) that my Six stays put when it returns home.

I will also makes sure before it leaves VA it is adequately insured in the event of aforementioned teleportation, etc.
QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 25 2016, 05:26 PM) *

There are various commercial locating/GPS services available.

Stealing is a horrible thing, but failure to take the initiative to protect your "stuff" is a close second.

One of the silliest posting I've seen this year. dry.gif
Darren C
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc
dflesburg
I like linxup.com

EdwardBlume
I like Axel Rose on the subject - "you can take anything you want, but you better not take it from me...."
campbellcj
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 26 2016, 03:36 AM) *

People dont buy 3.2's for the serial numbers. If the 3.2 engine in my 914 was a stolen engine, nobody would know. I don't know what the serial number is and have no reason to look. We buy 3.2's & 3.6's all the time. There isn't a reason to research an engines serial number. It's just a 30 year old engine.

Bingo! How many of us have actually researched the history and tried to determine if something was stolen before buying it on ebay or at a swap meet? Hmm. Didn't think so.

Best bet is a locked and alarmed garage, cameras, dog, and good insurance.
Gunn1
QUOTE(mbseto @ Apr 26 2016, 09:10 AM) *

So you say the owner of this car is roughly the moral equivalent of the person that stole this car because the owner didn't install the proper alarm?

It has nothing to do with the type of alarm...It has everything to do with due diligence.

In today's world if you have anything of value i.e. Car, Diamonds, Art, Ect.....you have a obligation to protect it from those who want to take it from you.

No personal Morality brought in to question. Just the facts of the society we live in.
7TPorsh
Sad to hear this....too much like the movie Gone in 60 Seconds.

If your car isn't on a lift or jack stands then the best protection is prevention I think.
Kill switch, fuel lock, alarm. Your working against the clock.

If they get the car running and out the clock starts ticking. Five minutes later they drive it into a container and your GPS and other electro device fall on their face. And you're still home sleeping or at your buddy's drinking beer.
Mueller
I'm part of our neighborhood watch and have lived in the same house for 17 years and I know for a fact the crime has increased dramatically in my neighborhood and the surrounding areas.

Antioch sees 44 percent increase in crime rate over first nine months of 2012

http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_...e-crime-rate-17

That was just the 1st one I found of many.

Back on topic, any more news of this stolen 914?
bandjoey
I 'chatted' with Hagerty just now, and insurance discounts are offered for a tracking device. It looks like a good way to protect the stuff.

Watched the Spyspot video and it shows they use gps as well as cell tower data to track, and up to 6 month battery life..not selling it, just for info.
914_teener
QUOTE(396 @ Apr 25 2016, 10:46 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 25 2016, 09:09 PM) *

QUOTE(396 @ Apr 25 2016, 06:12 PM) *

Do you really believe the Feds? If I recall, they let lots of criminals go due to budget concerns.
Also don't let the main stream media lead one like a cow around.

Do the turbo tie rods require the washers that come in the "kit" or not?

Actually no, unless someone bends you over.

av-943.gif Ok....perhaps I should put a finer point on my post:

I like this Community and in context to the intent of the OP I will keep my eyes peeled since I do business in the area and live in the Southern California area.

I don't think it's relevant or helpful to point out which statistic is more correct or what one (this isn't personnel) believes or not.

Theft has been happening since the 1st Apple was taken from the Tree of Knowledge. Maybe when the thief is found, he'll be crucified between somebody that is innocent?

I do believe it is relevant of what we all can do to protect against theft given new technologies ect. and bind ourselves as a Community.

I believe Wayne has posted more on the Bird Board about the theft. Good tidings Wayne, I hope you find the car intact.

Carry on.
Gunn1
QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 26 2016, 11:02 AM) *

It has nothing to do with the type of alarm...It has everything to do with due diligence.

In today's world if you have anything of value i.e. Car, Diamonds, Art, Ect.....you have a obligation to protect it from those who want to take it from you.

No personal Morality brought in to question. Just the facts of the society we live in.

In 1930, the Republican-controlled House of Representatives, in an effort to alleviate the effects of the... Anyone? Anyone?... the Great Depression, passed the... Anyone? Anyone? The tariff bill? The Hawley-Smoot Tariff Act? Which, anyone? Raised or lowered?... raised tariffs, in an effort to collect more revenue for the federal government. Did it work? Anyone? Anyone know the effects? It did not work, and the United States sank deeper into the Great Depression. Today we have a similar debate over this. Anyone know what this is? Class? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone seen this before? The Laffer Curve. Anyone know what this says? It says that at this point on the revenue curve, you will get exactly the same amount of revenue as at this point. This is very controversial. Does anyone know what Vice President Bush called this in 1980? Anyone? Something-d-o-o economics. "Voodoo" economics.
Larmo63
Read the fuching rules, no political discussion is allowed here and your comments have nothing to do with a stolen Porsche in Harbor City, California.
6freak
all this for a four banger conversion confused24.gif shit dont get your real 6 stolen or they may call the national guard...good luck to the owner
Mike
Gunn1
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 26 2016, 03:49 PM) *

Read the fucking rules, no political discussion is allowed here and your comments have nothing to do with a stolen Porsche in Harbor City, California.

Its an old line from Ferris Bullers day off.... Lawrence Chill out!

What is with some of the folks on this site? you feel like you need to resort to using expletives when you reply to people. As if you cannot form a response without swearing at people>
Porschef
Political discussion? While I don't think it's at all relevant to the OP, I'd aver that a post that relates to 1980 at the earliest should probably go under the heading of "history"...

That said, can we focus, once again, on the OP?
Gunn1
QUOTE(Porschef @ Apr 26 2016, 06:05 PM) *

Political discussion? While I don't think it's at all relevant to the OP, I'd aver that a post that relates to 1980 at the earliest should probably go under the heading of "history"...

That said, can we focus on, once again, on the OP?

Groovy
EdwardBlume
Dig the Ferris Bueller reference!
Blue6
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 26 2016, 01:49 PM) *

Read the fucking rules, no political discussion is allowed here and your comments have nothing to do with a stolen Porsche in Harbor City, California.

I think Larmo meant "Fuching" biggrin.gif
914bub
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 25 2016, 05:44 PM) *

What's up with the truck? How do they know it was involved? How the hell did they get it up that high in that truck?

I'm with Rick. I was wondering how they knew the truck was involved since it was apparently stolen in the middle of the night. confused24.gif Maybe it was seem casing things before the heist?

Not to get back on topic or anything. And oh yeah,..........stay off Larmos lawn!
jim_hoyland
Any security cams ?
SirAndy
QUOTE(914bub @ Apr 26 2016, 05:30 PM) *
since it was apparently stolen in the middle of the night

10:30 AM is not exactly in the middle of the night ...
rolleyes.gif
Larmo63
"Read the fuching rules, no political discussion is allowed here"

My comment was in reference to what was said to me the other day by a person from the liberal persuasion here.

Verbatim.

That gate swings both ways.
bdstone914
QUOTE(pete000 @ Apr 25 2016, 01:26 PM) *

That address is next door to Pelican parts. Did he leave it in the street there? That would be nuts !

Or is that address an extension of his shop where he stores cars?

Pelican owns the building next to them too. Been in ther once and is mostly storage.
Bruce
Bulldog9
Go take your meds stay on topic and keep the political crap in the sandbox and read the forum rules..................

Hope Wayne finds his car, but this whole thing seems a bit off to me.

QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 26 2016, 04:30 PM) *

In 1930, the Republican-controlled House of Representatives, in an effort to alleviate the effects of the... Anyone? Anyone?... the Great Depression, passed the... Anyone? Anyone? The tariff bill? The Hawley-Smoot Tariff Act? Which, anyone? Raised or lowered?... raised tariffs, in an effort to collect more revenue for the federal government. Did it work? Anyone? Anyone know the effects? It did not work, and the United States sank deeper into the Great Depression. Today we have a similar debate over this. Anyone know what this is? Class? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone seen this before? The Laffer Curve. Anyone know what this says? It says that at this point on the revenue curve, you will get exactly the same amount of revenue as at this point. This is very controversial. Does anyone know what Vice President Bush called this in 1980? Anyone? Something-d-o-o economics. "Voodoo" economics.
rick 918-S
Feel really bad for Wayne. I had a 68 Camero and a rust free 1960 Chevy Impala 2dr Hard top with a 348 4sp stolen two days apart. The Camero was found on a dead end road so wrecked you could make out the what kind of car it was. The 60 ended up in the scrap yard in the crusher pile. I was 18 with no insurance. Very sad, still bothers me. icon8.gif Hope it's found. Wayne is a good guy I hope to meet one day.
Larmo63
agree.gif
76-914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 26 2016, 08:48 PM) *

Feel really bad for Wayne. I had a 68 Camero and a rust free 1960 Chevy Impala 2dr Hard top with a 348 4sp stolen two days apart. The Camero was found on a dead end road so wrecked you could make out the what kind of car it was. The 60 ended up in the scrap yard in the crusher pile. I was 18 with no insurance. Very sad, still bothers me. icon8.gif Hope it's found. Wayne is a good guy I hope to meet one day.

Hey Rick, we can talk 348's & 409's next time we meet. I had all of them in a 56 when I was a kid. You could pull stumps with those slant blocks. av-943.gif
914bub
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 26 2016, 08:48 PM) *

Wow, previous post deleted,.......Really?

I was agreeing with Rick about questions with the box truck. How and why was it tied to this heist? The box truck pix are clearly shot in the daytime and the car was stolen around 12:30 AM? Was the same box truck seen casing this place???

Once again,..... back on topic.

And hopefully not deleted.
Gunn1
I is quite hypocritical of some of you to jump on me , when I can go back at past posts of yours and find "political" items. You also need to read the rules as well .
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Apr 26 2016, 10:35 PM) *

Go take your meds stay on topic and keep the political crap in the sandbox and read the forum rules..................

Hope Wayne finds his car, but this whole thing seems a bit off to me.

QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 26 2016, 04:30 PM) *

SirAndy
QUOTE(914bub @ Apr 26 2016, 09:15 PM) *
I was agreeing with Rick about questions with the box truck. How and why was it tied to this heist? The box truck pix are clearly shot in the daytime and the car was stolen around 12:30 AM? Was the same box truck seen casing this place???

Does nobody read anymore? confused24.gif

From Wayne himself, in his thread on Pelican:

The 914 was stolen in broad daylight at about 11:30AM

rolleyes.gif
Coondog
Does nobody read anymore? confused24.gif

From Wayne himself, in his thread on Pelican:

The 914 was stolen in broad daylight at about 11:30AM

rolleyes.gif

Easy there Mr. Admin, his first Pelican thread stated it was stolen at 12am and further noted it was seen being driven by the Police at 12:30 am
In a updated thread he spoke of it being stolen at 11:30am then being seen that night by the Police.
Easy for some readers to be confused......... dry.gif
johnpierre
sorry to hear this sad news Wayne...
sixnotfour
My assistant put it in there - I think the keys were left in the ignition.

Hope he finds it..
euro911
Coincidentally, back in the mid-70's, I used to work in the same building that Pelican currently runs their business out of. It was the customer repair facility for a company named Pathcom (communications equipment).

Over and out.
I have first hand experience on how it feels to have someone " walk off " something of value vs working for it.
After high school, I bought a new Kawasaki three cylinder for transportation back and forth to UCLA.....one morning, I went to school, parked it on the street. After my speech class, I uncover that my Kawasaki....simply "walked" off.
First time I was exposed to the intentions of others ... had that Kawasaki for one week. Insurance paid me $350 less than what I paid - as it was a one week old used bike. Got hosed on both ends. That experience taught me two things: you have a segment of the population that "simply " will steal . Second, how insurance company works too...
Both a one way street.
I don't think the 914 in question will show up again- at least as a complete car.
Bulldog9
I dont do politics, only religion evilgrin.gif but not in this forum lol-2.gif

Kidding aside, your post was way off dude. welcome.png

QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 27 2016, 12:30 AM) *

I is quite hypocritical of some of you to jump on me , when I can go back at past posts of yours and find "political" items. You also need to read the rules as well .
veekry9
Click to view attachment

A joyrider?
A whodunnit,solved by the mass experience of the World's tv viewing,all those hours of detecting.
A black 914-6,seen on broadcast by millions,can't stay hidden.
As Sherlock said,give me clues.Allow me some conjecture,to build a hypothesis.
Hard to believe a random score,tho the sighting,hours later by police points to thrill seekers.
Someone familiar with 914s,wanting a six,knew where one was stored,knew it would start,knew the layout.,
a familiar face,known to 914 enthusiasts,has a 914-4 recipient,access to an enclosed garage,local to LA.
dry.gif
Bastages.
/
Stranger things have happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJDT04DOalI
/
rjames
I keep checking back in hopes that there's a post stating that the car has been found and in the condition it was before it was stolen.

Hope some good news comes soon.
stugray
QUOTE(veekry9 @ Apr 28 2016, 06:26 AM) *

Someone familiar with 914s,wanting a six,knew where one was stored,knew it would start,knew the layout.,
a familiar face
,known to 914 enthusiasts,has a 914-4 recipient,access to an enclosed garage,local to LA.

agree.gif

Totally agree that IF you find the perp it will be someone that frequents the premises.

EVERY time I have had something stolen (and figured out who did it), it was someone that was familiar with my stuff and my schedule.
Coondog
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 27 2016, 01:19 AM) *

Coincidentally, back in the mid-70's, I used to work in the same building that Pelican currently runs their business out of. It was the customer repair facility for a company named Pathcom (communications equipment).

Over and out.

Suspect number one. Bet you still have a key to the building and your moving to Arz. Very suspicious if you ask me....... biggrin.gif

mepstein
QUOTE(stugray @ Apr 28 2016, 03:57 PM) *

QUOTE(veekry9 @ Apr 28 2016, 06:26 AM) *

a familiar face
,known to 914 enthusiasts,has a 914-4 recipient,access to an enclosed garage,local to LA.

agree.gif

Totally agree that IF you find the perp it will be someone that frequents the premises.

EVERY time I have had something stolen (and figured out who did it), it was someone that was familiar with my stuff and my schedule.

Someone stole 3 motorcycles from a sea container we use for storage. Even put the parts back in the container so we didn't notice it right away. 99% sure we know the past employee who did it but no proof. dry.gif
euro911
QUOTE(Coondog @ Apr 28 2016, 08:37 PM) *
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 27 2016, 01:19 AM) *

Over and out.
Suspect number one. Bet you still have a key to the building and your moving to Arz. Very suspicious if you ask me....... biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

I wasn't employed there long enough to rate a key to the building, let alone the executive restroom dry.gif ... (Sitting at a work bench inhaling (lead) solder fumes for 8 hours a day wasn't actually as much fun as it sounds) rolleyes.gif

... and from reading the post on Pelican, I take it the car was stored at a different building anyway shades.gif
iwanta914-6
I know this is an old topic, but I just ran across a salvage auction for this car that was stolen. I never heard if the thief and/or this car was ever found, but here it is.

I apologize if this has already been posted somewhere.

Click to view attachment
Mueller
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Feb 21 2018, 11:40 AM) *

I know this is an old topic, but I just ran across a salvage auction for this car that was stolen. I never heard if the thief and/or this car was ever found, but here it is.

I apologize if this has already been posted somewhere.

https://sca.auction/en/21798308-1974-porsche-914

Click to view attachment

Interesting, wonder what it'll go for? Neat find. Guessing insurance paid out since car is at auction.
mtndawg
Interesting
popcorn[1].gif
iwanta914-6
I'm curious to see what it goes for as well. The site lists ACV (actual cash value prior to theft) at $45K. Other than being dirty, I wonder how badly it was beat on. Must have been bad enough for Wayne to take the insurance money and let her go.

mepstein
Wayne has 3 962's as well as a lot of other high end Porsches. He just sold his company for big $. I doubt the 914 is even on his mind.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.