Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Auto Atlanta
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
AZBanks
Sure, everyone hassles the drunk guy.

That is what "AA" stands for, correct????

It would explain a lot if everyone there is drunk all the time.
Perry Kiehl Clone
1645 views and counting. Any press is good press right? smile.gif
colingreene
Where is Catherine when you need her?
Rav914
Another plug for Belmetric. 1st rate service and products. Now back to the program...
mtndawg
I've also used other vendors for parts during the last 7 years after a few frustrating AA errors on orders when I restored my first 914. There have been a couple of occasions when I almost had to call them but I figured out an alternative.
Mikey914
Hey, we all have our problems. I was auditing the shipments from inventory and we caught the fact we mis-shipped an LE vinyl for a customers white car (sent white vinyl). We contacted the customer to let them know and that a replacement was following. I'm sure that George is stepping up his game, we know he's watching.
Darren C
Interesting read…
As an oversea’s buyer, I’ve had nothing but pain, despair, frustration and disappointment from AA.
The reproduction 914 parts were very poor quality. Some arrived broken and the remainder of orders turned up in instalments months and months after the order was placed.
They fail to tell you if the item is in stock at time of order and are very poor in responding to emails requesting information on your order.
The most annoying thing is that as an overseas buyer, you place an order for 3 items, and expect 3 items to be sent. Not one item (including full international shipping) 2 missing, then a second turn up months later out of the blue (with them having your credit card details on file, so they bill you a second international shipping charge without notification) then more months later the 3rd part finally arrives and they’ve billed your credit card again for a 3rd international shipping charge!!!
I then had 3 separate import duty charges in UK to pay, then 3 international custom handling charges to pay rather than just the one that I was expecting when I placed a single order from AA. This added over $200 to my bill that I wasn’t expecting.
The net result was VERY poor quality and broken parts that I couldn’t fit to my car, excess international shipping charges billed to my credit card without authority and NO response to my emails.
Just out of interest, are AA anything to do with a company called Mr Fiat in Atlanta?
I had a big fall out with Mr Fiat over car parts a few years ago with pretty much the same customer service and sales tactics. This ended in a BBB investigation and made the Atlanta press.
Frankvw
I did send mails to AA and 914rubber and other suppliers with questions, none have returned my mails, so I thought that is how it works in USA, just different than here in Europe, so I accepted that and will call if I really need an answer.
First I was not ordering at 914rubber or AA because of the enormous shippingcosts they charge to Europe (they use the ultra expensive carriers, even for small items this adds up a lot , read : out of proportion) so I was making a list to order a lot at once to save money, but now I am put back by customerservice/quality experiences as well.
It is not said that it will happen to me too (there must be a lot of happy customers as well everywhere), but I will see what I can find in Europe first before I endulge myself with the same possible-to-happen frustrations in the process.
ripper911
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 13 2016, 11:04 AM) *

Nothings changed; business as usual. 2nd verse same as the 1st. Remember when ripper911 tried to bring us back into "The Fold" only to tire of the BS leading to his defection. lol-2.gif

I at least tried to make sure that people got the right parts while I was there... It was fun for a while, but not my kind of gig.
rhodyguy
Frank, not quite sure what you mean by "ultra expensive carriers". For the most part there are 3 players in the game in the states. FedEx, UPS and USPS. There are account and retail rates for FedEx and I imagine UPS ( I will not ship anything UPS). The dif is an extra profit on shipping in the sellers pocket if they're billing 'retail'? If there is a 'handling' charge that's just some extra gravy. AA is KNOWN! to employ the handling fee. Short or items back ordered? Extra spoonfuls of gravy everytime. Hobbyist part hustlers don't have the same options and we don't determine shipping rates. Which by the way, have seemed to have spiked again.
DBCooper
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 14 2016, 07:58 AM) *

Frank, not quite sure what you mean by "ultra expensive carriers".

He's talking about overseas shipments, which are a little different. When U.S. commercial goods arrive into some countries they need a formal clearance through customs, and that customs broker's fee is added to the shipping cost. I haven't been overseas for a while and every country is different, but DHL, for example, charged $45 for a large envelope, plus another automatic $65 for customs clearance, paid by the recipient.

That's obviously painful for someone buying some small parts, especially if an inconsiderate seller sends them in three separate shipments. An envelope with the same parts sent USPS would cost maybe $12-15 to send and have the customs information on the form the sender filled out so the receiver could pick it up without involving a broker for maybe a $15 tariff if the customs charge wasn't waived altogether. I used DHL as an example because it's Deutsche Post so was favored by my German colleagues, UPS and FEDEX aren't as bad but are similar.

Frankvw
"Frank, not quite sure what you mean by "ultra expensive carriers" "

Ok...does below pic make sense ? that is what I mean....
It is an example, not a real order, I just clicked in the shop 2 products to show you the "ultra expensive carrier" remark I made.
So, to avoid misunderstanding : this is not about the shop involved, not the products, not the prices...I like that part......

Click to view attachment
mepstein
I just shipped to Sweden. FedEx wanted $175. USPS cost $45. It really depends. I think if your overseas, you have to touch base with the vendor and make sure they work with you. I'm sure Mark at 914rubber would.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Jul 14 2016, 11:31 AM) *

"Frank, not quite sure what you mean by "ultra expensive carriers" "

Ok...does below pic make sense ? that is what I mean....
It is an example, not a real order, I just clicked in the shop 2 products to show you the "ultra expensive carrier" remark I made.
So, to avoid misunderstanding : this is not about the shop involved, not the products, not the prices...I like that part......

Click to view attachment

Shipping rates have gone way up over the past year (domestic & international). I sell used parts and ship all over the world.

Example: Shipping a small flat rate USPS box to Germany with a $40 part in it costs $33.95. That is not marked up, actual price from USPS I just printed the label 5 minutes ago.

Same package here in the states is $6.35 - That same package in 2015 was $5.60

Shipped a steering wheel priority mail insured to Australia and it cost $84.50

That seems crazy to me, but that is the charge.

I'm a one man band, so I make no markup on shipping, but if I had to pay employees confused24.gif

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 14 2016, 12:04 PM) *

I just shipped to Sweden. FedEx wanted $175. USPS cost $45. It really depends. I think if your overseas, you have to touch base with the vendor and make sure they work with you. I'm sure Mark at 914rubber would.

I would bet FedEx is used because of their ability to track the package every step of the way to the customer. I agree I use USPS priority mail for 90% of what I ship, but for big items or big $$ items I use fedex because I can track the package better.
mepstein
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jul 14 2016, 01:22 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 14 2016, 12:04 PM) *

I would bet FedEx is used because of their ability to track the package every step of the way to the customer. I agree I use USPS priority mail for 90% of what I ship, but for big items or big $$ items I use fedex because I can track the package better.

I agree. Depends on the value of the part and what the customer wants.
rhodyguy
priority flat rate USPS (that's the acronym for the post office frank) whether national or international is more cost effective IF parts fit IN the box.

pricing example: i don't know if 'zone' based pricing would apply but here's an example. USPS flat rate international for a small box, which your items would fit in, is $23.70 for "commercial based" shipping and $24.95 for 'post office' in store. those #s might change a bit but they should be well in the ballpark. i think that's more than reasonable considering the distance. USPS got with the program and includes tracking #s at no additional cost.

upside for sellers is the boxes are FREE, estimating the shipping is fast and there's no surprises after the buyer sees his billing statement.
Darren C
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Jul 14 2016, 05:31 PM) *

Thanks Frank,

This illustrates my frustration too. We have little choice on the international shipping method for parts as it's an online default "Hobsons Choice"

In Franks example let say they sent me just the $12 part first with the $83 shipping. When it arrives in UK we have to pay 20% import duty on the whole price so that would be another $20 or so, then we have a handling and clearance fee that's another $12, so my $12 part cost me $130!
Then they sent me the $9 part a month later at another $127. The two items worth $21 cost $257......see how it works?

Now in my case I had 3 small value items from AA, that were about $40 in total, but sending them in 3 separate shipments meant I ended up paying almost $400 as I was hit each time by 3 x shipping and import charges.

On placing my initial order I accepted I'd have to pay $83 shipping to get my $40 parts with $30 import. That was what I accepted was going to happen.
NOT 3 shipments out of my control with them simply repeatedly charging my credit card each time without my authority.

This is a completely separate issue to the AA parts being poorly made and broken. One was a 2.0 badge for the rear with fixing pins molded in the wrong place to fit the holes in the car!
rhodyguy
that's why many owners avoid ** like a plague carrying rat. your experience is more the norm than the exception. back in the early 90's one order from ** contained fuel injectors for a 930. i called, told someone about the error and offered to send them back for the shipping. a faceless voice was very pleased and agreed. i sent them back and never heard a peep or received compensation. pre-internet days when a paper catalog was king. it would be nice if invoices showed the ACTUAL shipping charges and ANY handling charges separately rather than lumping them together.
7TPorsh
I regularly sell posters to Europe. My cost shipping by USPS is $24.50. Less than 16oz. in a 20"x3" cardboard tube.

The value of the contents can be anything....shipping is still $24.50. Remember stuf going overseas has to go through Customs.
Frankvw
Well....
"Remember stuf going overseas has to go through Customs "
In case you do FedEx or like that it will go through customs since they do a tracked delivery through customs. If you get something through USPS and mark it as GIFT on the outside, you have like 80% chance you just get it without customs involved (in Holland that is). Plus anything send under 20 dollar will be tax-free anyway but then the value has to be mentioned on the outside.... (rules and regulations all over the place)

Some vendors do free-shipping in US. I use that and have it send to a friend in USA east coast. They will resend with USPS or something similar to me.
I did ask two vendors (mentioned in these posts) about other possibilities like USPS to send me stuff, but still waiting for a reply mail back......for weeks already....

rhodyguy
Use the friend method and be done with it. I was under the impression using USPS streamlined the customs timeline incurred when using other carriers. I might be mistaken on that one. confused24.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Darren C @ Jul 14 2016, 12:51 AM) *
Just out of interest, are AA anything to do with a company called Mr Fiat in Atlanta?

I believe it is, or was, the very same people. Also some kind of "??? Brothers" company (I forget the name though) that also sold car parts. And did not have a good reputation.

--DD
carr914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 14 2016, 10:58 AM) *

Frank, not quite sure what you mean by "ultra expensive carriers". For the most part there are 3 players in the game in the states. FedEx, UPS and USPS. There are account and retail rates for FedEx and I imagine UPS ( I will not ship anything UPS). The dif is an extra profit on shipping in the sellers pocket if they're billing 'retail'? If there is a 'handling' charge that's just some extra gravy. AA is KNOWN! to employ the handling fee. Short or items back ordered? Extra spoonfuls of gravy everytime. Hobbyist part hustlers don't have the same options and we don't determine shipping rates. Which by the way, have seemed to have spiked again.

UPS & FedEx just went up again! Big Fee on oversized items
76-914
They can't blame it on gas prices! shades.gif
rhodyguy
I used the online calculator (knew it was wrong) then called fedex and got a slightly better rate. Buyer was ok with the second one. Long story short the actual price at the distribution center was lower yet.

To save a sale you spend time cutting down/making box so it's 1" under the oversize limit and maintain the clearense on all 6 sides. But you don't get to tack on a handling charge. Hustling parts is not the path to easy money.
catsltd
All parts places have there screw ups.

Thanks Pelican for sending me 4 exhaust manifold stud bolts for god knows what kind of car.

So I am driving around for 3 hours trying to find the special bolts that go onto the studs,and another 2 hours trying to remove the old ones that are seized so bad,they pulled the studs out rather than come loose.

Auto Atlanta sent me Gummy bears with my last order,so they are in my good books once again.

Seems very few parts places bother to update there list of in stock product,Until After I place my order.
Thats the real problem.

Sorry I did not read any of this thread,just wanted to vent about my transmission job being on hold while I try to find the right Bloody nuts.

mepstein
I'm spoiled by our wholesale parts vendors. Same day or overnight delivery - no charge. Returns - no problem, return shipping - no charge. Weekly calls to check up and make sure I'm happy. They know how to treat a customer.
Old Yella
I just got an order from AA. All the way Georgia USA to Australia, no hassles, two weeks, was told when the order went through, when the order was sent, got some gummy bears, got a note that said if anything was not to my satisfaction call them. What's the problem, shit happens--I don't know the man but I do appreciate the repro rear lenses at a quarter of the price of Hella NOS. You guys are lucky, just send the stuff back it only takes a couple of days. We pay as much for the postage as it is for some of the parts.

Still waiting for the Rebel Racing items ordered on the same day. WTF.

I've also had to wait weeks for parts from two of our favourite suppliers, who also got the orders mixed up and in one case charged for parts I didn't get. But whoa--don't dish out on them.

Old Yella
Bugger posted twice
bdstone914
QUOTE(LowBridge @ Jul 12 2016, 10:12 AM) *

interesting... been buying from them with no issues at all. I think I'm somewhere north of a dozen orders and all have been correct and timely...

Go buy a lottery ticket. I don't know you or doubt your word but 12 orders without a screw-up for AA does not seem possible. I am 2 for 2 and done.
championgt1
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 15 2016, 04:57 AM) *

QUOTE(LowBridge @ Jul 12 2016, 10:12 AM) *

interesting... been buying from them with no issues at all. I think I'm somewhere north of a dozen orders and all have been correct and timely...

Go buy a lottery ticket. I don't know you or doubt your word but 12 orders without a screw-up for AA does not seem possible. I am 2 for 2 and done.

Too funny! 2 and done for me as well!
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jul 15 2016, 11:31 AM) *

Too funny! 2 and done for me as well!

3 and done for me, but I didn't even bother to try and return the 3rd order.

I just couldn't take another condescending conversation with George...

Ok, I have ordered once since then, but is was just for some Porsche crest stickers for my wheels - somehow they managed to get that one right!
Shadowfax
Hate to pile on (not really) but I called and emailed AA about replacement sheetmetal before starting work on mine last year. Never received a response. Found out about Restoration Design and couldn't have been happier with their products and service.
SixerJ
QUOTE(Darren C @ Jul 14 2016, 07:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Frankvw @ Jul 14 2016, 05:31 PM) *

Thanks Frank,

This illustrates my frustration too. We have little choice on the international shipping method for parts as it's an online default "Hobsons Choice"

In Franks example let say they sent me just the $12 part first with the $83 shipping. When it arrives in UK we have to pay 20% import duty on the whole price so that would be another $20 or so, then we have a handling and clearance fee that's another $12, so my $12 part cost me $130!
Then they sent me the $9 part a month later at another $127. The two items worth $21 cost $257......see how it works?

Now in my case I had 3 small value items from AA, that were about $40 in total, but sending them in 3 separate shipments meant I ended up paying almost $400 as I was hit each time by 3 x shipping and import charges.

On placing my initial order I accepted I'd have to pay $83 shipping to get my $40 parts with $30 import. That was what I accepted was going to happen.
NOT 3 shipments out of my control with them simply repeatedly charging my credit card each time without my authority.

This is a completely separate issue to the AA parts being poorly made and broken. One was a 2.0 badge for the rear with fixing pins molded in the wrong place to fit the holes in the car!

I've bought from 914 Rubber and hit the same issue with the freight. Couldn't believe it / made no sense so I emailed

I got a reply back from Blake the explanation was that there was something funky about how GoDaddy (host) automatically calculates the shipping as it thinks that every item needs a completely separate shipping box which obviously spins up the cost quicktime

I can't find the actual cost but fairly sure it went from a couple of hundred dollars to something like 30 or 40 via USPS

I would strongly recommend emailing them with a list of parts that you want and ask for a complete quote before you dismiss them out of hand. I know that's not how it should be and needs fixing but I have personally had a really great experience and service from them & would prefer to support those that support the community

Back to AA. I too was screwed over with a missing small part that fell out the bottom of a poorly packed and not taped down box. Made contact and told that they put it in & would be happy to send another if I ordered again. Err no, have never ordered again and will do my utmost never to again during the restoration of the six.....AA's loss others gain
ThePaintedMan
It's a dying (dead?) business which is quickly circling the drain. In the modern era of the internet, most businesses like it are on their way out and good quality vendors like Tangerine Racing, 914Rubber, PMB Performance, Stoddard, GPR and Maddog (all vendors supported on this site) are reaping the benefits, as they should.
rhodyguy
Go daddy? WTF.gif calculated as tho each item is a separate item with it's own box? blink.gif do I have that right (disbelief)? you guys are paying too much for shipping. What's the harm in loading a box, weighing it (if needed), and figuring the shipping. Like have a human being do it? That used to be considered a job for someone. Flat rate is a one step task. Too simple?
Series9
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jul 15 2016, 04:39 PM) *

It's a dying (dead?) business which is quickly circling the drain. In the modern era of the internet, most businesses like it are on their way out and good quality vendors like Tangerine Racing, 914Rubber, PMB Performance, Stoddard, GPR and Maddog (all vendors supported on this site) are reaping the benefits, as they should.

I really wish you were right, but I was first treated like shit by AA back in the '80s.

I was done with them then, but it seems 914 guys have a self esteem problem. I mean, how can AA be around 20 years after the advent of the internet?

Sometimes I look at AA's continued existence as proof that I really don't even have to try at S9, but then I pull my head out of my ass and continue to try to do the right thing with my customers.

Automobile Atlanta is Enron, is Bank of America, is Amscot, is Bernie Madoff, is (every predatory business).

It's a little like Donald Trump. Apparently, there is no amount of stupidity that will turn people away.

Caveat emptor.

Good luck. dry.gif

I'm a proud AA black-lister.
ripper911

The 914 sector is only a small part of their business. Most of the parts that pass through AA are for newer vehicles. I wouldn't consider a business that is moving millions of dollars worth of parts every year to be failing. They're just losing the (or this) 914 community.
JOEPROPER
On Monday the 11th, I spoke to AA about the mistaken order and was told that they would be sending out my corrected merchandise. I received and email from George on Tuesday saying that they almost screwed up the order again, but he personally checked it and straightened it out. On Tuesday evening I ordered another part from AIRCOOLED.NET and wasn't thinking about who would get here first but my AIRCOOLED order just arrived and am still waiting on my AA delivery... They are both using the same carrier. (usps) and am a little surprised that the AA order didn't beat the AIR COOLED order given the 1 day head start...

I am a man in business... so I just don't get it... George... confused24.gif
rhodyguy
Check what should be the new tracking # on your ** purchase.
Mikey914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 15 2016, 02:19 PM) *

Go daddy? WTF.gif calculated as tho each item is a separate item with it's own box? blink.gif do I have that right (disbelief)? you guys are paying too much for shipping. What's the harm in loading a box, weighing it (if needed), and figuring the shipping. Like have a human being do it? That used to be considered a job for someone. Flat rate is a one step task. Too simple?

We do actually do this. And refund the overcharge. The problem we run into is on multiple piece shipments. Godaddy will not always combine everything in to one box. I can have 10 small parts and sometimes it will put in 4 boxes, and charge 4 different shipping charges. And it's not the items. We have weighed and have dimmensions for all. We have checked box sizes, and they are in correctly too. To be honest we did find a few mistakes on our part on the size entries, but this still occurs. It's about 30% of the time, but we simply refund our customers what they overpaid. It's a hassle, but we do audit every shipment.
Mark
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 16 2016, 11:52 AM) *

Check what should be the new tracking # on your ** purchase.

Tracking says today is the delivery day! I guess we'll see. That's what it said last Saturday and I got it on Monday. popcorn[1].gif
Gunn1
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jul 15 2016, 06:44 PM) *

I really wish you were right, but I was first treated like shit by AA back in the '80s.

I was done with them then, but it seems 914 guys have a self esteem problem. I mean, how can AA be around 20 years after the advent of the internet?

Sometimes I look at AA's continued existence as proof that I really don't even have to try at S9, but then I pull my head out of my ass and continue to try to do the right thing with my customers.

Automobile Atlanta is Enron, is Bank of America, is Amscot, is Bernie Madoff, is (every predatory business).

It's a little like Donald Trump. Apparently, there is no amount of stupidity that will turn people away.

Caveat emptor.

Good luck. dry.gif

And now somehow you have a lock on what Stupidity is?

These posts in the garage are supposed to be free of political content...bringing any politician into the discussion and using them as a basis to your argument is uncalled for and is against the rules of this garage form.

Keep the politican crap out of the Garage Series 9

Rand

Dude. The drama is entertaining, but you still haven't learned how to fit in around here. Your guns are aimed at your feet, and you keep shooting them.
mepstein
QUOTE(OU812 @ Jul 16 2016, 02:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Series9 @ Jul 15 2016, 06:44 PM) *

Caveat emptor.

Good luck. dry.gif

These posts in the garage are supposed to be free of political content...bringing any politician into the discussion and using them as a basis to your argument is uncalled for and is against the rules of this garage form.

you do realize joe/s9. joined 12 years ago, not yesterday? he belongs here and certainly has earned a right to speak his mind. you seem to speak you mind way too much. what have you actually done for 914world that would make people miss you if you went away?
DBCooper
QUOTE(OU812 @ Jul 16 2016, 11:52 AM) *

Joe has every right and more, his allusions were benign, and once again you should really understand what the hell you're talking about BEFORE you start talking.

Gunn1
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jul 16 2016, 02:44 PM) *

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jul 16 2016, 11:52 AM) *

Joe has every right and more, and once again you should really understand what the hell you're talking about BEFORE you start talking.

Straight out of the rules page:

"Please, let's not talk about Politics & Religion. Wars have been fought for years and years because of Politics and Religion, so let's keep 'em out of 914World."

So Joe has the right and the rest of us don't?

It doesn't say let's not talk about Politics & Religion unless your Joe.

So I think your the one that doesn't understand .

Rand
Sharing vendor experiences isn't politics. It's people in our community looking out for each other. If you'd listen more than talk, you'd learn to appreciate the value of the community experience here. It's priceless.
DBCooper
QUOTE(OU812 @ Jul 16 2016, 01:10 PM) *

Straight out of the rules page:

"Please, let's not talk about Politics & Religion. Wars have been fought for years and years because of Politics and Religion, so let's keep 'em out of 914World."

So Joe has the right and the rest of us don't?

It doesn't say let's not talk about Politics & Religion unless your Joe.

So I think your the one that doesn't understand .

It was an allusion to make a point. [go look up "allusion"] Mentioning a name isn't "politics." And likening someone to Atilla the Hun or Scrooge McDuck isn't being "political," it just illuminates something being said, maybe good for a chuckle. So dude, if your skin is THAT thin maybe you need to give up rusty cars and go practice yoga or something.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.