Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2017 Build-Off Challenge - OFFICIAL CONTEST THREAD
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Matty900
I took me over a year and a half to get the engine from the Builder and there were some miscommunications along the way. The car was a 1911 that he had built when he owned it when I had him rebuild it he rebuilt it as a 1.7 with a very aggressive cam and very precise balance. It runs amazing and everyone who has heard it including Jeff Gamroth at Rosthsort racing was impressed with it. Other than the carbs are too big. It did give me some ideas on fuel injection that I will be going to in the future but for the Build-Off deadline and for making it to one of the rallies it was not in the cards for now.
Can't wait to drive this thing. I'll post updates
Dion
September update:
So 9-14-17 has passed. I'm no where near
completing this car. Lots more to do.
I was able to remove old trailing arms & rear brake assembly.
As well as rear struts/springs. This is in preparation to
weld in replacement console provided by Chris (tygaboy), Thanks Chris!
This will be on left side. Right side quite sound.
I obtained new trailing arms from JayMann. Thank you.
Let's see oh yeah, procured some tasty Webers from
Fitton. Thanks Mike.
All I need to do is assemble all the above.
Simple right?

I will still add to my build thread. Looks as though the challenge for this time frame is done.

Hats off to all the competition. Just incredible skills out there.
Nice stuff guys!
Dion
Weber :-)
stevegm
Very nice updates. The cars are looking good. I emailed everybody to please post your final updates here soon. We will start final voting next weekend, and announce the winners after the votes are in.
tygaboy
September Update
Build thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=296900

To quote Dion, who (as far as my car is concerned) has a case of understatement-itis:
"So 9-14-17 has passed. I'm no where near completing this car. Lots more to do."

As stated in last month's update, I too didn't get close to my targeted goal.
Assuming there's a 2018 Challenge, and quoting another determined fellow:
"I'll be back..."

ACCOMPLISHMENTS - See build thread for the bonus details and photos!
- Fabricated and fit the cross bar
- purchased the A/C compressor and mounting hardware

SUMMARY and LESSONS LEARNED
I don't think I'm alone with I say I think it's best summed up as "so much to do, so little time."
Life happens and the hobby goes on hold. A week here, a month there and all of a sudden, 12 months are gone.
Moving forward, I'm trying to be more deliberate in how I budget my time. I identify the work I want to accomplish, try and be honest about what it'll take and budget that time, whatever it is. Let's see if this makes a difference for me.
And hopefully, I'll get better about design decisions and not get too badly delayed with the "what if I did this instead?" stuff that so often eats up time.

SPECIAL CALL OUT TO VENDORS
We're blessed to have so many great vendors helping support us and our wonderful little cars. But I have to call out "Vendor of My Build" as Chris Foley at Tangerine Racing. aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif first.gif
From his door braces to suspension modification components to his unending willingness to talk in detail and at length with me about whatever it was I was calling about... Well, it just doesn't get any better than Chris' support for his customers.
And don't worry 914 Rubber, I plan to bug the crap out of you, once I get to that point in my build!) shades.gif

THANKS TO MY FELLOW CHALLENGERS AND BUILD THREAD CONTRIBUTORS

Without others willing to jump in, underestimate and over commit, what fun would the Challenge be? laugh.gif
I'm honored to have been able to participate as part of this group of folks and can't say how much I've learned or how much I enjoyed reading each of your updates. I hope to meet each of you at some point.

And of course, it certainly wouldn't have been the same without the input I got from my fellow teeners! Special acknowledgement to Rand and Tony! Thanks guys, you're the best. poke.gif happy11.gif

Congrats to all Challengers on your accomplishments. See you all in 2018 and keep up the great work!
Chris
JmuRiz
Final Update:
Not a darn thing on the car sad.gif

ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
- Nada, the cases/heads are still out for refinishing. See picture for what the leftover engine parts look like currently biggrin.gif
- I did get the 35mm manifolds out to my engine builder and they looked good enough to use.

CHALLENGES
- Worst month of my life...I unexpectedly lost my father, he was doing some work and was gone the next. Therefore my main cheerleader for working on my car/house/bike projects is gone. I have a feeling it'll take me a year or so to even start working on them again. Time to get family stuff in order, the car can wait a few more years if needed...
Photo is from when I got the car back from paint/body a few years back.

VENDORS
914Rubber - received my visors from the group buy. I wanted to have Ravenna Green thread stitching, but the spec I was given was not as strong as was listed on the order form. Therefore I went with standard black stitching...looks good. I will go more subtle with the interior due to this, which I'm totally fine with.
Curbandgutter
Been too busy at work to do anything. Bought super duper tig welder and will be finishing welding everything as soon as work lets up. Getting anxious to finish.
trojanhorsepower
Been working, but mostly on peripheral stuff. Built the paint booth and the air filter. I have to finish the wall with the outlet filters. As I have been working on that stuff the air compressor decided to take a dump. Ordered the factory part so it would just bolt on and guess what... nope superseded by a different part. After overcoming this I got the compressor running again. Hope to paint sometime next week.
No vendors
No help
Click to view attachment

Here it is as of just now.....
Mitox
Final update:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2509094

Still working the front trunk area and oil cooler, but have made some progress. I've fabbed the spare tire mount, completed the reinforcements, and fabbed the bottom section of the shroud. I'm now ready to fab the last part; the cooler mount.

Haven't spent too much recently.
~ $30 on metal, weld nuts, sanding supplies
$60 on a brake proportioning valve. It's in great shape, but I think I'll send it to PMB for a rebuild.
$60 for the metal brake from Harbor Freight

My recent challenge was learning to shape a few countours on the bottom section of the oil cooler shroud. It looks OK, but needs a little more touch up.

My October plan is to get the car on the rotisserie to strip the bottom and undercoat it.

Here's a few pics.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mitox
Last pic

Click to view attachment
Matty900
This project has been quite the journey so far. I've learned a lot along the way. Hopefully I can use what I've learned to help others and give back to the community that's helped me get this far.

One of the things I didn't want to accept is that these cars are ready when they're ready, not when your ready. I tried to push as hard as I could to help speed that process up. Ultimately putting in more hours in didn't produce the results I wanted. At the end of this build it got completely ridiculous. Trying to push to get to Okteenerfest and then Red Rocks when I couldn't make it to Okteenerfest because the car wasn't done yet. The last month of the build I pretty much worked on the car every day. Each day getting longer than the day before. Before I knew it I was spending 16 hours a day on the car, working in to the wee hours of the morning or working all night. As the parts start going back on the car, it has a momentum to it and you want to put on one more thing. By this time I was starting to experience brain fatigue and could not retain anything, it was like having dementia. I ended up putting a gnarly scratch in the top of my door while trying install the window tracks. And in general just didn't make the best decisions.

Taking the car to Colorado for Red Rocks.
I was very excited about being able to take my own car to a rally. This was one of the things helping to motivate me to complete the project. So with all of about a hundred feet of driving time on the car. I borrowed a friends trailer and towed the car for the 2500 mile journey. The car, running carburetors, ran great at our altitude of about 200 feet however at almost 6,000 feet, the car did not run quite so well. I did get in a nice drive in the morning. Drove like a brand new car everything nice and tight, shifting was perfect, grabbed a couple pictures but the car was sputtering . Before you knew it we were turning carburetors screws and adjusting timing and that was it, the car went back in the trailer.

Now that the car is back I have taken it back to Cary's shop so I can continue getting her sorted out. This will be an ongoing project as I have now decided that I want to go to a microsquirt setup so that altitude is not an issue in the future and so that I can get as much performance as possible out of this engine build.

I'm headed out to go work on her now but I'll grab a few more pictures to post on here.
Matty900
beer3.gif
Matty900
beer3.gif
Garland
piratenanner.gif
Matty900
QUOTE(Garland @ Oct 3 2017, 07:37 AM) *

piratenanner.gif

agree.gif
3d914
Nice job guys! Those are some awesome looking cars. Congrats!
3d914
3d914 - 914 SHO Build / Final Update
Build-Off Part Deux

Build Thread: Challenge 2017 starts on page 25

Accomplishments:
Rear Trunk
  • Complete firewall modifications
  • Seam seal trunk
  • Build filter box & support frame
Trunk Lid
  • Complete lid customization (NACA ducts, raised section)
  • Complete lid reinforcements
  • Build rear-hinging framework
Engine Lid
  • Hinge lid to trunk lid
  • Build shelf, guides, & lock pins for lid
  • Complete cutouts for mesh
Body Panels
  • Weld panels cutouts (L&R)
  • Cement & fit to FG flares
  • Undercoat inner panels & wheel wells
Challenges:
Kid's vehicles. Sons' motorcycle and daughter's car were back in the garage needing work.

Vendors: None this month.

Pictures: Final status.

Where I'm at on the underside:
IPB Image

On the left side:
IPB Image

On the right side:
IPB Image

ON the trunk lid:
IPB Image
stevegm
Last call for votes on the 2017 Build-Off Challenge. To vote go here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VVXGN6F
stevegm
The votes are in and tallied. We are just verifying who's 914s are on the road. I hope to be able to post the results later today.
bulitt
Wow! Nice job people! smilie_pokal.gif
stevegm
So over the past two weeks we have been trying to confirm that the winners’ cars are actually on the road, which is a requirement to win the challenge. It seems that none of the top finishers in the polls were able to get their cars finished on the road. I completely understand, as our 914 is still unfinished. :-)

Stay tuned. We will have this sorted out this weekend.
Rand
A lot of people bit off more than they can chew and took the limelight in the process. The award needs to go to someone who finished. (Meaning finished the stated goal. Of course they are never done.)
tygaboy
And the winner is....? poke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.