Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
3d914
Awesome work guys!
3d914
3d914 - 914 SHO Build / March Update
Build-Off Part Deux

Build Thread: Challenge 2017 starts on page 25

Accomplishments:
Continued progress on media blasting. Switching to crushed glass media to cut down dust & cost of soda. Picked up 600lbs in Phoenix.

Challenges:
Kid's vehicles. Sons' motorcycle and daughter's car were back in the garage needing work.

Vendors: None this month.

Pictures: None this month.
JmuRiz
March Update:
Still buying up parts, and waiting on Scotty to find a new paint shop so I can finish painting the interior.

Engine is being sent out in pieces to be redone. Heads out for full re-freshening and with new custom valve guide on the FUBAR on. Case was split and found that the middle crank bearing walked around and ended up looking 'odd' ground a bit on the side the the crank, but not enough to need a new crank. Case to be sent out and expected to be back in 6-months .....so I guess that means I won't finish by Sept, that's for sure. Cyls sent out for recoating.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
- Spending more money, if you can call that an accomplishment

CHALLENGES
- Spending more money than is smart....
- Timeline to have the engine case redone will push me into probably a year from now to get everything finished.
- Got a new job with about 200% more workload at the present. So I don't see myself doing much other than acting like a zombie when I get home.

Update with pictures:
Check out that middle bearing, one of these things is not like the others.
Bearing seems to have coiled itself as it wobbled in the journal and pressed against the crank. Basically the previous builder probably split the case, but didn't send it out for aligning (since mag cases tweek crooked as soon as you split them).
stevegm
Challengers,

If you haven't posted your March update, please post it this week. We are starting the Round 2 voting this weekend. Now that the winter is over for almost everybody, it is time to get those 914s going.
jd74914
March Update
Build thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=227430

ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Dismal update. Literally got nothing done. It's been so busy that I haven't even stepped into the garage this month. sad.gif bootyshake.gif

CHALLENGES
Time as always!

VENDORS
None
Garland
2017 Build-Off Challenge
Build-Off Part Deux

March Update: Michigan Build

Michigan Build 2017 Link

2017 Build progress :

Only fiddled with little stuf. Planed out the sound system on paper. Installed some of the matting with the heat gun.

Unexpected challenges:

Cold weather, health, and time!

Vendors:

Local electronic store, and collected some bits from the World members.
Fat-mat was a gift.
Progress Pictures:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

See the Build link for more, and the whole story. Thanks for look.
Mitox
March Update

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2397587

I'm late with the March update, but here it is.

Accomplishments: All of my work has been on my rotisserie, so no progress on the car. However, the rotisserie is nearly complete. I've completed all of the removal of excess steel from the modification, and have raised the pivot points to allow the car to fully rotate. I've also added a steel disk to one arm, and a "pin block" to one stand to allow the car to be pinned/stationary at various points of rotation (I didn't trust the brake on the trunnion to hold the car by itself).

The ends have been painted. The only work left is to add the mounting points to each of the arms and apply paint.

Expenditures: The rotisserie has cost me about $250 so far.

Plans for April: Go to the Hershey swap meet; I need pieces and parts. Primarily looking for a front suspension and a front oil cooler kit, though any needed part is on the list (brakes, exhaust system, rear 5 lug parts)

Lessons learned: I need to retire so I can spend all day on the 914 GT project, but the wife seems to think this is a bad idea.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
CAMshaft
March Progress

I finally got the car in the air for a full inspection and in true 914 fashion the rot is not isolated to just the engine bay. The car is completely stripped and ready for new floor panels. Still looking for a donor tunnel since this one is beyond the point of no return.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Challenges: Unearthing more bad sheet metal is a mental challenge

Victories: I know where all the bodies are buried and can plan a way forward

Vendors: JJR for the remainder of the disassembly and media blasting

Steve for all new closures since the existing ones were not worth keeping

Next steps: Inventory of sheet metal and order parts to be replaced.

Matty900
I mentioned to Steve that I may be interested in joining the build off just for fun but did not realize that I was actually listed as a "Challenger" until I looked at the thread today. So I guess I better get my info up here.

ABOUT ME
I am not a long-time car builder or even a competent mechanic like most of the people here. I am doing this restoration to learn all I can about these cars and develop some new skills. I love driving the cars but I would like to be able to work on them and help others with theirs so this is kind of like night school for me. I have an older brother that some of you may know, that got me it to these cars a few years ago. The 1st one I bought, I should have probably stayed away from. the 2nd one was this car and the 3rd one was supposed to be the parts car for the 1st one but will end up being the receiver and not the donor in that project.

I have 3 boys, all Eagle Scouts. 2 in college still and one with the car bug that is now in the workforce working on cars. My Wife and I have an Adult Foster Care Home taking care of seniors and I work with my brother at 914Rubber. Through this, I have discovered a passion for these cars and an awesome community of people through 914world.

GOALS FOR THIS CAR?
Well, it started out as a good barn find that I should have just tuned up and driven. The car was actually in pretty good shape and had been stored properly for most of its life. At the time my youngest son was going to school for auto body and he got a little carried away with the sanding. I also got a little carried away with the "While I'm in there, I may as well....." Next thing I know I am doing a bare metal restoration with a few upgrades.

At the end of the day, this is a 1.7. Hopefully, it will be a very nice 1.7 that I may enter into a few shows. For me, this is all about the passion for the project and bringing it back to "better than new car" status. This also gives me the chance to understand how the parts we make fit onto the car so I can be a better resource for the people wanting help installing them on their cars.

I am a builder by proxy on this one. I am hiring out most of the big stuff and then learning with the help of others like Cary Kutter, Super Inlaw and advice from Eric Shae, Bruce Stone and the 914world community at large. (And occasionally, my Brother too) So I will name who I am having do the work for me and what I am actually able to do.
Since I am late to the Challenge page, a lot of this work has been done on the car now but is all part of my goal for the car so here is what my check list is:

1- Learn all I can from the process.
2- Fix the damage to the right front fender.
3- Fix the rust in the Hell hole.
4- Fix the rust in the trunk and repair rear trunk issues.
5- Rebuild the motor and have a nicely balanced, dependable 1911
(Previous Owner had already made it a 1911 but I am having it completely gone through.)
6- Install factory swaybars front and rear.
7- New paint (Bahia Red)
8- All new bushings, bearings, fuel lines, seals, gaskets, cables ect...
9- New suspension
10- Rebuild the steering rack
11- Rebuild the Pedal Assembly
12- Sandblast and re-plate, powder coat or paint all parts as needed.
13- Completely new breaks
14- Ceramic coat the exhaust
15- Install Triad exhaust
16- New Windshield
17-New Interior
18 All 914rubber parts that I can put on the car.

My build thread starts on page 3: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...75587&st=40
trojanhorsepower
March Update:
Nothing. I was really hoping for a big update this month, but could not get it together. My guys out. I found a new guy so hopefully I will have a good update by the end of April.
Garland
2017 Build-Off Challenge
Build-Off Part Deux

April Update: Michigan Build

Michigan Build 2017 Link

2017 Build progress :

After installing the rattle trap matting, I added EZ-Cool on top. I used 3m 777 spray to lightly adhere it to the matt. EZ-cool holds it form a bit and I fitted each piece before installing. I am ordering carpet from 914 Rubber today! See the fit next months update.

Unexpected challenges:

None this month, I did find the rattle matting easy to install.

Vendors:

914 Rubber carpet.
Wurth cockpit care.

Progress Pictures:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

3d914
3d914 - 914 SHO Build / April Update
Build-Off Part Deux

Accomplishments:
Continued progress on media blasting. Was able to talk to the local shop that will be doing primer/paint. Will be getting an estimate once I get the prep work farther along.
Started on the trunk lid mods & built a form to help fit new pieces.

Challenges:
Kid's vehicles. Lot's of travel with/for family. Had some fun though.

Pictures:
Trunk lid form work.

Click to view attachment
Dion
APRIL UPDATE:
Well not too much progress for a number of reasons.
Spent time repairing and then replacing my daily driver ('04 F150)
Now I have a New to me 2015 F150. Also College visits to see my daughter took up some weekend time.
Needed to address some health issues (high blood pressure)
Now my Dad, he's 81yrs and needs a new aortic valve.
So I've been a bit distracted.

ACCOMPLISHED: Removed and sent to B Stone
my pedal cluster.
VENDORS: Pelican, 914 world members, 914rubber.
Seals,lenses, assorted hardware.

Looking forward to May. Warmer, more daylight = more productivity.

Cheers all, Dion
Curbandgutter
Nothing to post. Went on vacation and came back to an immense amount of work to dig out of. May will be way more productive. The break was good since I've been hitting it hard since las May
trojanhorsepower
mad.gif No progress.
Had a bit of a financial diversion.

Click to view attachment
This will help me get the car blasted!
tygaboy
April Update
Build thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=296900

No progress, not good. The '74 was taking longer to finish than I thought and then I hurt my shoulder and can't work on the car - so says the doc. Little stuff I can still do but I can't raise my arm above my shoulder w/out pretty significant pain. Frustrating. headbang.gif

ACCOMPLISHMENTS - See build thread for the bonus details and photos!
Not much beyond purchasing parts. But that ain't gonna do much good if I can't lift them to put them on...
- A-arms rebuilt

CHALLENGES
- Shoulder injury preventing me working on the car. (I'm claiming it isn't age related. I'm simply not ready to admit that sort of thing is possible).
- One too many cars

VENDORS
Elephant Racing
JmuRiz
April Update:
Has it been a month already? This month I got nada done, other than discussions with my engine guy about porting the heads and searching for a set of good 35 or 36mm manifolds for my weber 40 carbs. I also discussed with him about my oil cooling questions. After seeing my large cooler with the good fans, he suggested running the setup in the back. Plumb up some aeroquip hoses and see if it cools. If it does cool, get some nice lines made up and go with it....if it doesn't cool, then I'll do a front trunk cooler.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
- On the car....None
- On the garage space....Finally put my garage art up on the walls to free up the space it was taking up on the garage floor, and a concrete slab poured to build a small shed to free up some garage space for the build (snow blower, saw horses, wood working tools etc).

CHALLENGES
- Time....

Picture of the cooler setup I have: Setrab with a pair of Spal fans...I plan on running a thermostatic switch to turn on the fans automatically. Anyone have a recommendataion for a good thermo-switch setup?
CAMshaft
CAMshaft Build April Update

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=297659

Accomplishments:

Blasting complete and I have better idea of where the car is. Bad left rear quarter and many pin holes.

Next steps:

Time to order metal

Challenges:

More holes than I anticipated

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Mitox
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2397587

So, I'm a little late for the April update. I accomplished little on the car, but did finish the rotisserie and purchased a few items.

The largest purchase was a Carrera front end, and I am awaiting shipment of a hook and grommet from the group buy.

Over the next couple weeks I will remove the rear suspension, and mount the car to the rotisserie. I'll finalize the rotisserie mounting points at that time.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Garland
2017 Build-Off Challenge
Build-Off Part Deux

May Update: Michigan Build

Michigan Build 2017 Link

2017 Build progress :

Lowed the fuse panel and as I did terminal wires pulled, or fell off. I did know it was in poor shape, but. So I replaced the ends from a second harness I had. Also installed a new panel.
The carpet arrive from 914 Rubber salt and pepper looks great, fits great, and nice edging.
Also replaced the early seat belts with factory late belts.

Unexpected challenges:

More end bad on the fuse panel, you should check yours. Trying to decide on carpet color. I think I have the body color I want, but that could also change.

Vendors:

914 Rubber carpet.
Old 914 wire harness ends

Progress Pictures:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
A little heat and the carpet will hold it form.
Click to view attachment

Dion
MAY UPDATE
Progress: Holes at front of left & right longs were welded close.
Rear trunk hole repaired as well.

Challenges: Time and improving welding skills.

Curbandgutter
MAY PROGRESS REPORT

I was able to finish tying the power train into the tube chassis. Then I moved onto the front strut towers.

Front Engine mount. Click to view attachment

Transaxle mount Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Engine nestled in Click to view attachment

CHALLENGES

Everything is a challenge.
3d914
3d914 - 914 SHO Build / May Update
Build-Off Part Deux

Accomplishments:
Switched from blasting to finish filler for welded sections - and there's lots of them.
Also started work on the raised trunk lid to accommodate large intake runners.

Challenges:
Other projects - patio flagstone & planters for wife.

Vendors: Local suppliers for Duraglass, All-metal, and bondo

Pictures:
IPB Image

IPB Image

JmuRiz
May Update:
Not much action here.
I was able to find a set of manifolds for my carbs.
Got some 40 carb to 35mm head manifolds from mskala. Now I can have my heads ported to 35mm so they can flow correctly for the high C:R pistons and hot cam biggrin.gif 'Should' add up to about 220hp when all finished.

Also got some core visors from Garold Shaffer to send off to 914Rubber for redo....with neon green thread to match my car's paint biggrin.gif Hopefully I'll do the same with the upper and lower stitched dash and headliner. I'd love to do the backpad too, but that's not really needed.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
- Got some parts and sending some off
- manifolds
- visors

CHALLENGES
- Waiting, that's the biggest challenge....but I honestly have a lot more parts to purchase before getting it put together, so no big deal.
- Still need to get some paint once ScottyB finds a new paint supplier. That will make it possible to paint my newly de-tar'd floor boards etc. Only to be covered in some sound deadening and carpet, but at least I'll know it's pretty underneath biggrin.gif

VENDORS
mskala for the manifolds
Garold Shaffer for the visor cores
914Rubber for the visor redo group buy
tygaboy
May Update

Absolutely no progress. Shoulder injury is essentially healed but I (happily) spent virtually all my time making awards and give-aways for the WCR.

Finally, after 2 incorrect shipments (from the mfg, not Elephant!), I received the correct torsion bars.

whoopie. dry.gif

CHALLENGES
Focus on WCR. It was a blast and I'd highly recommend you check out the WCR thread.

VENDORS
Elephant Racing - always a great vendor!
Garland
2017 Build-Off Challenge
Build-Off Part Deux

June Update: Michigan Build

Michigan Build 2017 Link

2017 Build progress :

Finished the dash with new, and relocated a few items. Installed a iPod plug in, Amp, power point, steering wheel. Next on to the exterior body work.

Unexpected challenges:

Trying to limit each step to what I had planed, So easy to think about taking it to the next step. Build-Off Deux 2.0? 2018?

Vendors:

914 Rubber, Best buy (amp) and member here for the dash face material.

Progress Pictures:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

trojanhorsepower
Last several months have not been good for progress, but finally today...Progress!!

Got the car blasted.Click to view attachment

It came out pretty well. Now the massive degritting can begin. I think I will call 914Rubber.

Vendors: Mike Bliss Dustless Blaster

Also got some Rockers from DougL.

Hopefully meaningful progress can resume.
Click to view attachment
Dion
JUNE UPDATE:
Challenge is always not enough time and let's add learning to improve
welding ability.
Accomplished welding up a few rusted areas around sail panel
and the vent tube area.
Vendors: Eastwood for a new Mig welder.

Hats off to the other challengers. All looking good.
tygaboy
June Update

No progress. Distracted by building V2 of the Porsche crest and making some shop signs for Original Customs and 914 Rubber.

Took delivery of the chassis harness (Infinity Box) and the engine harness (Current Performance)

CHALLENGES
Fear-induced paralysis brought on by those two giant boxes of wiring! av-943.gif (yea, let's go with that as the reason I didn't get anything done...)

VENDORS
Infinity Box, Current Performance
JmuRiz
June Update:
Not a darn thing on the car sad.gif

ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
- Nada on the important car sad.gif

- Building a front retaining wall on the house (in progress)...I could have bought a nice car (for me) for the price of it...but it's going to be quite nice and finish off our exterior renovations on the house!
- Helped my parents work on de-cluttering their house!
- Swapped tires from heavy OEM wheels on my daily driver and saved over 53 lb of un-sprung weight

CHALLENGES
- Motivation to work on something just for me....and not for others (family)

VENDORS
ongoing - 914Rubber for the visor redo group buy
Curbandgutter
JUNE UPDATE

Build Thread http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=206845

ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Was finally able to get the car lowered. Had to do some rework of the strut towers to accomplish that. Used a special green foam to get a mold of the clearance between hood and top of strut towers. I still believe that I can push the strut tower up at least 1 inch but I will have to have a new monoball top late machined. I'm working on creating a 3D model of it and see what it will take for Chip to put it on his CNC mill.

CHALLENGES: Getting the strut tower pushed up as far as possible into the hood to create room for suspension travel.

VENDORS: Local guy for 916 steel flares. Ordering new floors next week.
Garland
2017 Build-Off Challenge
Build-Off Part Deux

July Update: Michigan Build

Michigan Build 2017 Link

2017 Build progress :

Installed a long awaited powered sub. Pulled the windshield. Finished wet sanding, and started build a paint booth.

Unexpected challenges:

Wet sanding was fun, again! Rebuilding a paint booth PVC and plastic I put away 2 ears ago.

Vendors:

914 Rubber, windshield clips and lower molding, and new carpet.

Progress Pictures:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I will finish the paint, but will have to wait on sand out and polish till after Okteenerfest, I want the paint to sit.

Dion
JULY UPDATE.....

PROGRESS: Obtained an early rear bumper to be period correct for the GT look.

CHALLENGES: Me! Plus time off for vacation.

VENDORS: Tom Bliznik. Thanks Tom!

Spent time cleaning up bumper and eliminating most of its rusty bits.
Still need to retap the bolt holes. Casualty of rusty bolt removal.
I
Dion
Paint & polish
tygaboy
July Update

Finally got back to focusing on this and it reminds me how much I enjoy the creative process. Good thing because I've run into issues like the head rests running into the main hoop, resulting in throw away/redo work.

- Front hoop finalized and installed
- Rear floor final welding, seat mounting hardware and cross brace installed
- Version 2 of the main hoop/door bar design finalized, pieces bent
- played around with a set of turbo forward headers, but I'll probably go a different way

CHALLENGES
Wasted time. Well, let's be positive and call it "I learned some stuff!"
Original main hoop design interferes with head rest, resulting in loss of ~2" of seat travel = back to the drawing board on the chassis stiffening design.

VENDORS
Tube Service
trojanhorsepower
July update. Looks like I wont make it in time for Okteenerfest...... again.
Progress:
I think I welded up the last holes.....
Click to view attachment

I have been sanding and cleaning the sand out of all the crevices. I still have to go over the bottom and outside and I will be ready to paint.

Vendors:
Dustless paint removal
PMB
914Rubber
Tangerine Racing
NAPA

Mind you I have not attached any of it yet........
3d914
3d914 - 914 SHO Build / July Update
Build-Off Part Deux

Accomplishments:
Continued some work on the raised trunk lid to accommodate large intake runners, but that's about it. Too much else going on.

Challenges:
Other projects - Son's 996 & Transmission work on daughters Outback..

Vendors:
None

Pictures:
IPB Image

IPB Image
Mitox
July update

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2509094

Made some progress finally. I started the front oil cooler mods by cutting the front floor out and adding smooth metal with an outlet hole. My first time welding sheet metal, so my progress was incredibly slow, but I'm happy with the results.

My spare tire should arrive this week, so I need to decide how to mount it vertically and get that finished.

I'm also going to add some stiffening/reinforcement bars under the oil cooler.

Purchases: sheet metal and 1" square tube = $16. Oil cooler from PMS $490. Oil cooler shroud from QRS Fiberglass for about $150 with shipping. Spare tire $300 (too high)

Challenges: I wish I could weld faster and better. Maybe when it's all done, I'll know how to weld.

August plans: weld in reinforcement tubes, make mount for oil cooler, make mount for the spare tire, fit shroud.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
stevegm
These are coming along very well.
Garland
2017 Build-Off Challenge
Build-Off Part Deux

August Update: Michigan Build

Michigan Build 2017 Link

2017 Build progress :

Paint done, back on the road soon.

Unexpected challenges:

Electrical

Vendors:

Umbrella cover beautiful, and fits perfect, from Perry Klehl

914 Rubber, Again!

Progress Pictures:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

See the Build link for more, and the whole story. Thanks for the look.
tygaboy
August Update

Last update before our 9/14 end date. And I didn't get close to my targeted goal. dry.gif
Ah, well... I suppose that's why it's called a "challenge"!

- Patched in the main hoop cut-outs that are no longer needed
- Went in a completely different direction with the intake system. Though I'm not sure this counts as an accomplishment!
- All chassis stiffening tubes, support pads and gussets fabricated and fit, ready for welding

CHALLENGES
For me, the disadvantages of not having firm design plans are that I end up doing the "2 steps forward, 1-3 steps back" dance, resulting in less progress (sometimes a lot less!) than originally planned. But that's the creative process that seems to work for me.

VENDORS
Borla
Tube Services
Dion
AUGUST UPDATE
ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Welded up hole (self inflicted holes) in rear trunk,
and also crack on left long inner wall as well as left rear driver seat rail
adjacent to E brake cover..
VENDORS: EASTWOOD
Dion
Seat rail area
Garland
2017 Build-Off Challenge
Build-Off Part Deux

September Update: Michigan Build

Finished with the Build-off Deux.

Click to view attachment

See the build link below for the whole story, thanks for the look.
Dion
Well done Garland,just beautiful! Congratulations. That is awesome.
Very cool pic composition as well:)
tygaboy
QUOTE(Garland @ Sep 1 2017, 09:04 PM) *

2017 Build-Off Challenge
Build-Off Part Deux

September Update: Michigan Build

Finished with the Build-off Deux.

Click to view attachment

See the build link below for the whole story, thanks for the look.

Wow, Garland, your car looks fantastic! I went back and re-read your entire build. It's easy to forget just how much work goes into these "Challenge" cars and yours is no exception. I particularly love the custom touches you added and admire the level of quality of your work. Just fabulous. Inspirational, too. Way to go!

The problem is, every time I see a completed car, I think "Yea, I should paint my car (fill in the blank with the color of the just completed car)!"
Now white is on the list... thanks for that. poke.gif
But seriously, hats off to you! wub.gif
trojanhorsepower
Congrats Garland!
My pitiful update.
Been getting sand out and welding up little holes.
Click to view attachment
Building paint booth..
Click to view attachment
And air dryer.
Click to view attachment

Getting close to paint!
Vendors:
Amazon
NAPA
No help
Matty900
Still have a bit of interior and some trim to do along with the driver's door glass but I'm pretty much done with the car now it runs and drives and is in the trailer heading to red Rocks I plan on getting lots of pictures to share
Matty900
Ended up having to do some unconventional things with the engine. But it sounds awesome and starts up with half turn the key. So far I've got about 100 ft of driving in her but I'm loving what I feel so far
Dion
Looks great. That is one clean engine. Awesome work. Liking the nerf bar. I have a NOS in box,
no courage to mount it. But now that I see yours....
Very cool Matty! Congrats!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.