Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Epic Scrap Metal.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
fordb132
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

I live up north in rural Norway and haven't gotten any speeding tickets for some time....I'm an old Ford guy,you know.Last time I got one it saved my life.Driving at night with my -32 Ford in southern Norway I was awakened by the blitz light from the automatic speed camera.
Did some job on the nose. I'm looking for a 914 trunk light....the Samba people won't send out of USA....anyone have a spare??
falcor75
QUOTE(fordb132 @ Jan 9 2017, 10:58 AM) *

I'm looking for a 914 trunk light....the Samba people won't send out of USA....anyone have a spare??

I can check my spare parts bin when I get home, I think I had one in there...
rgalla9146
Hi Geir
I've got those lamps if you can't source them locally.
Rory
......and good afternoon too
rick 918-S
This 904 needs a icon_bump.gif
falcor75
I checked my boxes and sadly I cant find it. I replaced mine as the glass had a small crack in it but I thought I'd kept the old one still.
fordb132
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Had a great Calvados hangover today,so I skinned the other door and pushed El Cheapo outside so I could sweep over the workshop floor.The woman living next door said it was looking fine.So then its approved around here,at least.
fordb132
Click to view attachment

When I see the pics...I'm not sure.
Well,well.Anybody volunteer to cut the holes for the headlights?
mepstein
WOW!
Krieger
Beautiful! smilie_pokal.gif
Mueller
I'm impressed for sure!
Bartlett 914
Well it is looking really fantastic.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jan 14 2017, 09:40 AM) *

Well it is looking really fantastic.

agree.gif beerchug.gif
Cracker
Really amazing craftsmanship...you mention it potentially being "raced" someday. Would you actually race it in a historic series or what we call here in the US "track days" Looking forward to seeing the progress...

Tony
sb914
pray.gif incredible proportions! amazing! drooley.gif
And you started this thread two months ago
Shadowfax
QUOTE(fordb132 @ Jan 14 2017, 08:28 AM) *

The woman living next door said it was looking fine.So then its approved around here,at least.

Always nice when the neighbors approve! Car is looking good. Glad I'm not the one cutting holes for the headlights. smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
poorsche914
Hope you don't mind... I did a quick color correction.

Amazing craftsmanship! drooley.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

driving.gif
GaroldShaffer
smiley_notworthy.gif simply amazing. Now this is a nice car!
mbseto
Fantastic. Easy to forget it has 914 bones, cool to see it and remember that it does.
fordb132
Click to view attachment

No,Tony,this is going to be more like a grocery getter kinda touring car,if I get plates on it.If not it will probably end up as garden art.....
Early sunday morning fun cutting up the body for the headlights.
altitude411
Thank you for finding this forum and posting such a fantastic thread! Your are a metal artist of the finest caliber. first.gif
I hope your efforts are rewarded with the ability to "go grocery shopping" but if that doesn't come to fruition I have no doubt that you could easily find a buyer to cash you out... Thanks again, very enjoyable to watch a master craftsman at work. shades.gif
Andyrew
Ok we all know you have miracle hands for metal, but what are you going to do for the headlights? Form fit plexiglass? Or do you have headlight housings?
fordb132
Click to view attachment I don't have anything.Make it as I go in a way.Nothing fits anyway....Any suggestions? I was thinking of making "glasses"in alu and shaping polycarbonate with heat arrond them.
Andyrew
QUOTE(fordb132 @ Jan 16 2017, 08:31 AM) *

Click to view attachment I don't have anything.Make it as I go in a way.Nothing fits anyway....Any suggestions? I was thinking of making "glasses"in alu and shaping polycarbonate with heat arrond them.

Maybe a wood mold and form plexiglass around it with heat, attach with riv nuts?
sb914
I'm sure you've seen this!Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentyour car is bad ass
914_teener
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 16 2017, 08:48 AM) *

QUOTE(fordb132 @ Jan 16 2017, 08:31 AM) *

Maybe a wood mold and form plexiglass around it with heat, attach with riv nuts?

If know someone who does vacuum forming those peices can be made.

Polycarbonate......yikes. acrylic no problem.
BillC
This truly fantastic. I love watching this come together.

A suggestion for making the headlight lenses/covers. You'll need to heat or vacuum form them, to get the right shape. But, instead of making a left mold and a right mold, make one mold for both lenses, and then slice the molded plastic down the middle to separate the two lenses. Since both sides should be symmetrical, you'll only have to make one mold -- should be easy to do out of wood. And, the heated plastic should be less likely to stick to the wood than to aluminum.
fordb132
I like the older style than the blue ,very nice car looking very expensive.
I do have nearly two molds from the pieces I cut out.
Have to read about the different types of acrylic,plexi....haven't thought so much of it yet.Acrylic is easier to form,stronger,don't scratch easy???
Thanks for advice.Never tried it before.
rick 918-S
You should be able to make a vacuum form and pull in Plexiglas fairly easy. I made a quick and dirty vacuum form for a fan shroud once. Simple box with a shape on the inside. You can make the shape, drill it full of little holes so the suction pulls it into the shape of the form. You may need more than a heat gun though.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
fordb132
Thanks for the tips,Rick.I will try polycarbonate first.I have made simple things with that earlier and liked the opportunities it has.
Got a parcel in my mailbox today.Thanks a lot to Rory and his wife for sending it.
That decal is going on the car,for sure.
MrsWannaB
Very nice to see the car is still in one piece. It looks great.
I saw a photo of you by the car as well the other day, and I must say you looked quite content too.

Have you had any preliminary dialogue with the vehicle licensing office yet? I’m eager to hear what they say. Not that I’ve ever doubted you’ll get plates on that car, but it will be interesting to see how smooth it goes.
mbseto
I had a buddy of mine make a curved clear plastic shield for a prototype I was making at work. He made a mold the same way he did for fiberglass, i.e. out of wood, but then coated in bondo and sanded and polished to a high gloss. Sheet of plastic went into the oven (and I can't remember if it was acrylic or poly, nor the temperature...) then we pulled it out and layed it over the mold and let it cool. A lot of elbow grease went into the mold, but the process was simple.

Then again, the Datsun 240Z just left the headlight cuts open.
fordb132
I wouldn't bother the local DMV with such minor adjustments as adding a steel roof,two extra cylinders,smaller trunk and different headlights.Other than that its an original 914,as I see it.
Mbsteo,I'm going to try something like that...should be doable.
Thanks for the support.
Now its Stout time in the Værste....workshop.
fordb132

Starting to complete the tail with some finish welding and a lightweight trunk.Maybe now is the time for removing the engine and put some paint on the rear end of the chassis.
jor
Am I the only one impatient for an update on this amazing build? It's almost like I need a weekly fix. Okay, not almost. I need a weekly fix. There. I said it.
icon_bump.gif
Thank you, 32 Ford, for sharing this with us!
krazykonrad
QUOTE(jor @ Jan 26 2017, 05:14 PM) *

Am I the only one impatient for an update on this amazing build? It's almost like I need a weekly fix. Okay, not almost. I need a weekly fix. There. I said it.
icon_bump.gif
Thank you, 32 Ford, for sharing this with us!

krazykonrad
agree.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(fordb132 @ Jan 17 2017, 12:50 PM) *

I wouldn't bother the local DMV with such minor adjustments as adding a steel roof,two extra cylinders,smaller trunk and different headlights.Other than that its an original 914,as I see it.

agree.gif
It's just a 914 with a couple updates. Nothing to see here folks. Move along. biggrin.gif
The factory did a car with a steel roof and unique headlights. Must have been a rare option. Right?
Front yard mechanic
Paint it ravena green I think someone is always looking for that color!
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Jan 27 2017, 08:22 AM) *

Paint it ravena green I think someone is always looking for that color!

Travesty! Polished aluminum!
Chris H.
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 27 2017, 10:15 AM) *

QUOTE(fordb132 @ Jan 17 2017, 12:50 PM) *

agree.gif
It's just a 914 with a couple updates. Nothing to see here folks. Move along. biggrin.gif
The factory did a car with a steel roof and unique headlights. Must have been a rare option. Right?

Yeah it's just an old car that's been in an accident. He's doing the best he can to repair it with what he has available confused24.gif ?
fordb132
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentBeen repairing a crashed -42 Harley that I delivered back to a happy owner a couple of days ago.Had to earn some money.....Food and wine,you know.In September I bought a side shift trans in the USA for this project.I found out recently that it wasn't even sent yet.I feel a bit punked myself.The good news is that I had a nearly empty side shift housing and a tail shifter that looked like junk.But when I decided to look inside the junky trans,it was like new.Nothing wrong at all and thanks to german engineers it was no problem to make one good trans out of the parts.
Hope to make the car drivable now.I installed the wiring too.No work on the body for a while.
Didn't know the rear control arms had hollow axle's.Cant be the only 914 in the world with rusted through axle....scary.
billh1963
QUOTE(fordb132 @ Jan 30 2017, 07:34 AM) *

In September I bought a side shift trans in the USA for this project.I found out recently that it wasn't even sent yet.I feel a bit punked myself.

Did you buy the transmission from 914World or another site? if so, you need to call out the seller.
billh1963
duplicate post
fordb132
Yes,I bought it from this site,but he wouldn't send the trans outside USA.
So he sent it to Florida where its now at a little shipping agency.
Going to mount the engine/transmission into this Rural Outlaw tomorrow.Need an oil tank and some wires and fire it up????
fordb132

Looks like it will be another golden Porsche.
Cracker
Badass Geir!

Tony
rgalla9146
Hello Geir
That was originally a mechanical fuel injection engine.
What is the engine type number ? 911/ ?....
Rory
oh yeah, as usual...... the work is incredible !
fordb132
Hi Rory.The engine type nr is 911/51 from a early -73 911T?
fordb132

Ready to push the start button and the brakes are now working as they should with handbrake.
fordb132

Aluminium is dangerous stuff...you get addicted....have to make at least one new part every day.The last is glovebox,engine cooling tin,puke tank and generator strap.Seems like I must do something with the springs in the rear.Lost too many kilos.Way too high at the moment.
Changed my mind about the color and bought a bucket of Ringebu-white.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.