Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Epic Scrap Metal.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
CptTripps
I think a lot of people were rolling their eyes at what you were setting off to accomplish, based on what you were starting with.

.....and absolutely nobody is rolling their eyes now!

Keep it up!
Chris Pincetich
This is very fun to watch! Thank you for sharing all the great work and inspiration beerchug.gif
If you weren't so far away, we would be visiting in person drooley.gif beer3.gif

911 dash is cool. A great upgrade and all 5 gauges is an improvement. I want that gas pedal aktion035.gif
fordb132
Click to view attachment

That gas pedal is made from 2 mm ss,glued a piece from the remains of the original pedal in the back so I could use the accelerator rod.Make a copy,Chris.
Working with the doors now.Moved the A-pillars in 25 mm and the upper hinges down 50 mm.Don't know how it will turn out....
Seems there are few norwegian members on this forum.I expected some creative criticism from Sunroad,at least.
Falcor...Gasoline Magazine has finally got their eyes open for classic Porsche so I think your car should be in the next issue......?
MrsWannaB
QUOTE(fordb132 @ Nov 24 2016, 05:06 PM) *

Seems there are few norwegian members on this forum.I expected some creative criticism from Sunroad,at least.

Well, I can reassure you, Sunroad is watching from a corner of your virtual workshop. Humbly impressed as usual, in this case to silence.
However, unike most others in here, I'm not surprised by what you can do.

When it comes to creative criticism, I'm sure you have it all under control. You can give that steering wheel to Cuda or Krieger, but beyond that, your artwork is no less than stunning, my friend. You are the obvious winner of the title Mr 914 Norway 2017.
plymouth37
Great work! You have some serious metal working skills! welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
Rand
No "rolling eyes" here. Just admiration for your work Get it done!
porschetub
IMO op had everybody fooled....including myself,wow what are we seeing now,would give my left nut to fab like this so clever,a dying art in these days really great.
Harpo
I'm very pleased to you saving this 914. Your metal working skills are phenomenal.

Keep up the good work

BTW I love that your going to skin this in aluminum

David
el fandango
Hi from Norway

Im so glade that people around the world can se your work

you are steel-wood-leather-engine-paint Man

you are everything

fordb132
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=583
929]Click to view attachment

Thanks for the comments,guys and gal.Working on door gaps today.
I have a bottle of Jameson on the shelf ready for the first trip outside to get a view from a little more than 1,5 meter.If this thing doesn't look the way it should,I'm planning to cut it into three parts again... after way to much whiskey.
That chunk of metal is the channel beneath the pedals that was filled with steel.
Engine lid grille is made from original parts....the distances are made from 914 pushrods.
fordb132
Forgot to say that if I scrap the body,the only thing I will keep is of course the steering wheel....
SirAndy
QUOTE(fordb132 @ Nov 28 2016, 08:59 AM) *
Forgot to say that if I scrap the body,the only thing I will keep is of course the steering wheel....

biggrin.gif
fordb132
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

To get some practice with the material I made some air-scoops for the engine lid.Using them raw riveted over the paint when that day comes.....or punch some rows with louvers.
914forme
QUOTE(fordb132 @ Nov 29 2016, 07:22 AM) *
To get some practice with the material I made some air-scoops for the engine lid.Using them raw riveted over the paint when that day comes.....or punch some rows with louvers.

I love your work, would still love to see, what your using to form these.
fordb132
Click to view attachment

The old lady next door had a piece from a garden fence lying that I brought home while walking past.Put it in a vice and formed the end half-round and lots of careful hammering and a short TIG weld up to the top.
Would have been better to make a hammerform to hammer it into.
I was only making two,so I didn't take the time to make one of those.
Krieger
Nice! You have excellent imagination and fab skills! I may need a scoop like that.
914forme
So did you cut a wedge out of the rounded end, and Big and hammer weld that back into place or did you shrink the piece. Or seriously stretch it all.

Oh BTW, thank you, I have hammer formed stuff also, yours is much prettier than mine.
rgalla9146
Do you have a 4 cyl. 1932 Ford ?
fordb132
I do have with flathead 8.
MrsWannaB
QUOTE(fordb132 @ Nov 28 2016, 05:59 PM) *

I'm sorry I insulted your steering wheel.
But I can make it up to you: You don't have to cut the car into three pieces again - I can just pick it up, in one piece, and help you get rid of it. Best of all: I'll do it for free!
Just tell me when.
You can of course keep the steering wheel.

On reflection, you are the only guy I know whom I could ask to help me finish this great project... So, uh, you better just stay away from that blended malt. Buy a bag-in-box of Corvina Verona instead (darn good!), stay calm no matter how the car looks from more than 1,5 meters away, and keep up the good work. You rule!

But no expectations, of course. None whatsoever.
Frankvw
"Engine lid grille is made from original parts....the distances are made from 914 pushrods." - your skills are very impressive. But you also have great imagination/ideas. This is a powerful combo. Really good work.
fordb132
914 Forme...Yes I rolled a cylinder,cut into two halves and did it the way you describe with no shrink or stretch.Just a lucky day.

Steering wheel looks dull in the crappy pics,but it has potential,I think.
You can have the car when I'm finished,if not satisfied.
Been through a few Verona's.

Working on the rear end body.....waiting for the chess to start.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(fordb132 @ Nov 29 2016, 12:21 PM) *

I do have with flathead 8.

Ah ha !
Your avatar gave me a clue. Attached is a pic of one of my projects (a 276" flatty in a '32 highboy)
Your skills are amazing.
I'm like others here, saw your starting point and what you said you were going to do.
I said to myself, 'Oh yeah sure, another crazy dream'
Wow !
Great work.
fordb132
Hi again.Some pics of my V8 you find here,rgalia:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads...e.222004/page-9.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Some more lousy pics from my project.Would have been easier for me making it in steel,it turns out.Can't complain as I have been bragging about all the spare time I got....
Starting up front tomorrow,I think.Waiting for a new silencer so I can finish the lower bottom of the alu above the exhaust.
Whats you verdict...I have a bad taste of whiskey in my mouth.
porschetub
Disregard all the other clever bodywork I've ever seen ,this one sets a new standard,how you can do this is nothing short of amazing.
I vote custom build of the year smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif .
Andyrew
Saw the first post and chalked this up to another dreamer. Had me fooled!

Amazing metalwork! You must be retired because the pace that you are working at is amazing!
KELTY360
Simply remarkable work.

I went back and reviewed this thread from the beginning and realized no one had asked about the Porsche six shown in some of the early fab pics. What size is that? Was it included in the package for $300?

Here's hoping you have plenty of heat in your shop. Rock on!

mueba.gif
Louiscurtis
Very Very Cool!!!
Really want to see a picture from further back.
fordb132
So you like german air-cooled...do you recognize this one:Click to view attachment
No the engine is a 2,0 that I want to put into the golden 914 and it was not part of the deal.For 300 usd I got the title and a shell.I have a 2,4 with webers that is going into this creation.
No,I'm not retired...the workshop is,dough.I bought from an american cabinet maker as a young man in 1990 and it's warm enough if you keep yourself a little busy.
Working on the hood ,now...
fordb132
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentStarted on the first front fender today.
Looks like a disaster so far but thats a nice challenge.Going to do it differently on the other side,thats for sure.No scrapped alu sheet so far....
Porschef
Still trying to figure out how ten guys can fit/work in that shop... shades.gif rolleyes.gif
billh1963
I've followed a lot of build threads over the years on this and other forums. This has to be one of the most interesting ones I have seen!
914werke
beer.gif drooley.gif
stownsen914
Excellent project!

I'm a little late to this party, but in reading the first post, I see you got the 911 roof from Brians Machine Service here in the US (and not too far from me, as it turns out).

Can't wait to see this project continue to evolve!

Scott
fordb132
Click to view attachment Made door skins with a brake.Looks good so far.
Exciting times.....
Frankvw
you.handmade.a.doorskin.in.less.time.than.to.order.one
ok....enough fun.... how many people really work on this car ??? this is unbelievable.
fordb132
I don't think you can order any metal parts for this model...

It's just me,my restless soul and occasionally a bottle of good redwine.
mbseto
As I look at that door skin, I'm guessing each one of those striations is a micro-bend from your brake. Are you going back and checking against the frame after each bend or just winging it?
blackmoon
Simply amazing, great work taking on a rust bucket that would have surely seen its way quickly to the scrap yard, congrats
zambezi
QUOTE(mbseto @ Dec 13 2016, 09:11 AM) *

As I look at that door skin, I'm guessing each one of those striations is a micro-bend from your brake. Are you going back and checking against the frame after each bend or just winging it?

I would assume it is from the english wheel. No way to get a smooth curve using a brake,
MrsWannaB
QUOTE(fordb132 @ Dec 13 2016, 01:19 PM) *

It's just me,my restless soul and occasionally a bottle of good redwine.

Poetic…

What are you going to do with the body afterwards? Could you keep the metal bare? It looks extremely good. I know aluminum corrodes, but it’s not as damaging as rust is to steel, is it?
fordb132
Hi all and thanks for the comments everybody.Yes you are right about that,Mbseto.
I put a 2,5 degree bend every cm and that made a gentle curve that was just right for the body sides.Nearly impossible to feel when you run your hand over.
Happy with this solution.....for a change.
Mrs.B,I have to put some paint on as the roof is steel,remember.I usually paint everything sparkling gold,but that bucket is nearly empty now.Got a new one standing in the corner and this one is Ice-Blue metallic.I will of course go absolutely mad when I start painting in the wood shed.Can't stop until there are some fugly stripes etc....
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(fordb132 @ Nov 20 2016, 03:13 AM) *

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Do you know what kind of wheels this is?They are only marked with the size,9x15.
They were on a Porsche that came from Sweden in the eighties.
I have four of them,but need two that are 7x15 in front.
Tried to order from group4wheels,but they don't answer.....

Did you get an answer on this? I didn't see it while reviewing this impressive (!) thread. Those look like Campagnolo wheels.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm...se/40471/page1/

Greetings and compliments from California!
MrsWannaB
QUOTE(fordb132 @ Dec 13 2016, 09:28 PM) *
Mrs.B,I have to put some paint on as the roof is steel,remember.I usually paint everything sparkling gold,but that bucket is nearly empty now.Got a new one standing in the corner and this one is Ice-Blue metallic.I will of course go absolutely mad when I start painting in the wood shed.Can't stop until there are some fugly stripes etc....

Oh, I forgot about the roof... Almost a pity to cover up that beautiful metal.
(But you could just make a new roof, couldn't you?!)

I'm really looking forward to see that Ice-Blue metallic. Don't forget to add some dandelion seeds.
Mueller
Wow, that is a lot of work, great work i might add!

Cannot wait to see the finished project.
fordb132
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentCoffee and speed on the menu today musically wise.Got several visitors today in my workshop.Drinking coffee and looking at their cellphones...talking about the weather.None of them commented the project at all.
Gotta find a more exciting project next time.....
jor
QUOTE(fordb132 @ Dec 14 2016, 09:56 AM) *

Coffee and speed on the menu today musically wise.Got several visitors today in my workshop.Drinking coffee and looking at their cellphones...talking about the weather.None of them commented the project at all.
Gotta find a more exciting project next time.....

Or, perhaps, gotta find more exciting visitors next time ....
SirAndy
QUOTE(jor @ Dec 14 2016, 10:00 AM) *
Or, perhaps, gotta find more exciting visitors next time ....

agree.gif

Next time i'm in your neighborhood, i'll swing by and talk cars with you ...
biggrin.gif
billh1963
You may have covered this; but, what is your background? You have some serious metal skills that have probably taken years to acquire.

That is some beautiful work. I'm not an expert by any means. However, I recognize skill when I see it!
MrsWannaB
QUOTE(fordb132 @ Dec 14 2016, 06:56 PM) *

Coffee and speed on the menu today

Well, I guess this could have explained your unbelieveable progress, if it hadn't been for the fact that you were talking about music.

The car looks fabulous. Even I'm a bit surprised again, by what you can actually do. Wish I could have seen you working.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.