Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Epic Scrap Metal.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Krieger
Hey Geir. Can you post a picture of your muffler bracket? I have the stock muffler bracket with a muffler similar to yours and I want to add the straps to support the muffler in the center.
fordb132
Click to view attachment

It's based on a 911 bracket and some stainless straps I made.The straps are not tightened up in the pic.
Krieger
Thank you for posting that picture. So it looks like you do not have any other support for the exhaust? I guess this is how it is on the 911 I was thinking of welding some tabs to the 914 bracket and then use some straps. I have had a little cracking here and there on the exterior of the stock 911 muffler for my track car.
porschetub
QUOTE(fordb132 @ Feb 2 2017, 09:36 AM) *

Hi Rory.The engine type nr is 911/51 from a early -73 911T?

Nice engine ,that year would make it a 2.4 ?,was it a T,E or S engine to start with?.
Would do you think the weight would be compared to a standard 914 ?......I would think much lighter ,going to be a quick little car.
I have peeled as much weight from mine as possible but added a six lump ,oil tank etc etc biggrin.gif .
You appear to have the advantage on power to weight here beer.gif .
fordb132
I haven't checked,but I think Rory said it was a 911T engine with MFI.
I took the engine apart and it was completely coaxed and no compression on three cylinders.I had Mahle cylinders with 2 mm larger bore and JE high comp pistons lying around.Some work on the heads and two new rocker shafts and it runs strong so far.
My plan was to have a MFI engine in this project,but carbs is OK.
No idea on the weight,but I suppose its a bit lighter.
Looks like that on the rear springs.....
rgalla9146
QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 10 2017, 09:21 PM) *

Nice engine ,that year would make it a 2.4 ?,was it a T,E or S engine to start with?.
Would do you think the weight would be compared to a standard 914 ?......I would think much lighter ,going to be a quick little car.
I have peeled as much weight from mine as possible but added a six lump ,oil tank etc etc biggrin.gif .

It's a 911/51 which is a MFI 2.4 T 130 hp ?
fordb132
Click to view attachment

The only thing nice with this bastard was the dashboard.Been looking at it for a couple of months now and I don't think it was right for this car so I cut it out.It has to get another look...sad to say.Lots of extra work.
SirAndy
QUOTE(fordb132 @ Feb 17 2017, 09:47 AM) *
The only thing nice with this bastard was the dashboard.Been looking at it for a couple of months now and I don't think it was right for this car so I cut it out.It has to get another look...sad to say.Lots of extra work.

blink.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 12 2017, 03:23 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 10 2017, 09:21 PM) *

It's a 911/51 which is a MFI 2.4 T 130 hp ?

I thought 140hp for that motor???
sixnotfour
good mod, do work popcorn[1].gif
fordb132
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentLike it better like this.
Cracker
You have mad skills Geir (and that is a good thing)! I always enjoy seeing your updates!

Tony
Bgyglfr
Wow! That is sone impressive work.
totle
W O W :-)

Juste great. Read through the thread now.
What an amazing build, and here in Norway :-)

Hope to see this awesome build one day :-)

Now my 914-6 GT project seems like nothing compare to this :-)
fordb132
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Got a set of reflectors in the mail today and doing some interior work.The sewing machine have been resting long enough.
Nomis71
Fantastic buildthread. I am impressed.
Helt rått det du gjør. Håper du tar i mot besøk hvis man er forbi..
Hilsen fra annen 914 bygger..
fordb132

Some more sewing today.The seats wasn't too easy.Hope I learnt something so the second one goes smoother.
The ugly steering wheel got a wrap of thick leather,too.Looks good now.
fordb132
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Making some parts for my next project.Putting the 2.0 six into the golden 914.
Sanding and correcting the body....
Porschef
Jesus...it's like Santa's workshop up there... santa_smiley.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif blowtorch.gif
falcor75
QUOTE(Porschef @ Mar 9 2017, 12:28 PM) *

Jesus...it's like Santa's workshop up there... santa_smiley.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif blowtorch.gif

Being snowed in for 9 months of the year has its advantages... biggrin.gif
fordb132
Spring is coming up now...working with the workshop doors open today letting some sunshine in.
Andyrew
I forgot to respond on the 2nd, but your sewing skills are awesome! What cant you do? smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 9 2017, 07:17 AM) *
What cant you do? smile.gif

Sit still?
confused24.gif biggrin.gif
fordb132
Click to view attachment

You're into something there,Sir Andy.I have a lovely,comfy old armchair in my workshop.Belonged to the dog Ellabella.I have never sat in that chair......
Shooting some primer today and paint in the door openings.Do you recognize the paint booth?

fordb132
Black Hole Paint Shop did it again.Let's brake out the booze and have a ball.
I have more paint so I can let it have a coat when the summer comes,but it went better than I expected.....
mepstein
You get my vote for project of the year. pray.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 31 2017, 10:47 AM) *

POTY

Wait, that didn't sound right ...
biggrin.gif
Front yard mechanic
Didn't sound right but it sure does look right beer3.gif
Brian Mifsud
So thankful you shared your skills on this forum. What an inspiration!

I've got to get me to an English-Wheel class!
Millerwelds
Don't they have drugs smoke.gif or alcohol beer3.gif where you are? Good god man find some better way to waste your time. You're making us all look bad! Awesome project to follow. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Wow! That was a very nice way to start my day. Went through the entire thread and this just goes to show you that we have some people on this site with off-the-hook skills. That is just amazing X10. beerchug.gif
altitude411
Some guys watch it happen, some guys make it happen...and some guys wonder what the hell just happened.

I think you have made us just witness all three. first.gif

Incredible beerchug.gif
Cracker
LOL! Well said...ditto!

Tony

QUOTE(altitude411 @ Apr 1 2017, 09:30 AM) *

Some guys watch it happen, some guys make it happen...and some guys wonder what the hell just happened.

I think you have made us just witness all three. first.gif

Incredible beerchug.gif

KELTY360
QUOTE(fordb132 @ Nov 13 2016, 12:20 PM) *

Click to view attachment Hi everybody from Norway.I'm starting a new project here as I found the remains of a 914 for 300 usd.It was cut into three parts to make it easier to bring it to the scrap yard.I lost my job,so I have plenty of time and less money.
This car has nearly nothing left of the outside body panels,so I feel free to make some fun out of it.There is very much structural rust to fix first and thanks to Brians Machine Service I have a 911 roof I want to weld on top of the 914 chassis.
This is a long term project I want to shear with you.I have a plan....
Lets put on some good music in the workshop and start up the welding machine.

Really?

Edit: after spending 10 minutes staring at door gaps and body contour alignment I had to go back to the 1st post in this thread for perspective. Unfortunately the pic of the 914 hulk didn't come across in this post. See Post #1 for clarity.
sixnotfour
WoW first.gif
JRust
HHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYY Build pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

How did I not see this thread earlier. Just went through all 12 pages. You sir are amazing! This will go in the 914world history books. Not only an amazing build but the time you have done all of this. I am blown away aktion035.gif
fordb132

Thanks for all comments.Working on the last bits of interior as I wait for the trim for the windshield to arrive.

Just asking.....anyone have one center,two point early seat belt spare?
Thinking of using that for a start.
Brian Mifsud
To form the body contours of the 904, did you do this primarily from photos by eye?

Trial and Error?

Or is there a drawing out there?

I build boats for fun, and we use a stack-up of cross-sections like this called the "lines drawing".

Are there equivalents for the 904s? Or other old Porshe werks racers?

Click to view attachment
Brian Mifsud
I guess you did answer this as I found your earlier post:

"Thanks for the words....forgot to tell about my background.
My first job was as a mechanic for a mining company.After that I was a welder/mechanic/electrician for the offshore industry.My last job was tube-fitter in theNorth-sea.
Always been wrenching on something.Started with VW type 1 and old style hot-rods.
I prefer low-budget projects with a challenge.Got a bit tired of the lack of creativity in the
street-rods....Porsche looked fun.
When you google 904, the blue print,side view from 1963 pops-up.I don't have any measurements as this is only based on the 904, adjusted to fit a 914 chassis and 911 top.Just trying to catch the 904 styling.My kind of cheap fun.I could never afford a 904 replica and I don't like glassfibre cars..."

So you have as we describe it in boat building, "the eye"! A man who can estimate a shape, craft it, and tune it to look "sweet". I'll bet you could sketch out a very mean looking Viking longboat!

MrsWannaB
Any news on this one?
Have you been out test driving during these wonderful days of spring?
mbseto
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 31 2017, 01:47 PM) *

If he were working any faster it would have to be project of the month! I have a sneaking suspicion he's already done and too busy carving up curvy roads to post...
fordb132
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Nothing much going on here.Working on some other projects including a carpenter job in the neighborhood.Going to install the windshield again.Difficult to make it fit like it should and no licence plates ,yet.Plenty of time.....
GaroldShaffer
blink.gif Wow, simply Wow. You have some mad skills. pray.gif
JeffBowlsby
Very nice tribute. Incredible skills. Care to tell us what you next project will be?

billh1963
Nothing I can add.

I don't think I can convey my respect for what you conceptualized, designed and built in such a short time.

IPB Image

IPB Image
MrsWannaB
Åj, sjå dær ja... Du e bættere fengernæm. (Norwegian dialect, almost not even translatable into regular Norwegian.)

It's a beautiful car, with beautiful curves. And beautiful details. It annoys me that I can't see the steering wheel though.
It seems to run properly? Mettimotorn that is.
fordb132
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=610
193]

Had a test trip to Germany and the HO 2017.The El Cheapo bastard worked like a charm so there were no wrenching on the whole trip but one speeding ticket.The bastard to blame,not me.
People seemed to like it and a few understood what it was....
The car is even going to be in a book about specials.

So this is the end of my Hardcore Recycling story.
sb914
Wow incredible build pray.gif
Andyrew
Wow, that finished up so well and you did it at a record pace!!! Congrats! Beautiful work!
Coondog
Master craftsmen....... first.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.