Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Taylors new project thanks to Wes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
cary
Monday the right fender will get a close inspection. No holes per say, but quite a bit of degradation. Might be ok.
cary
Labor Day 2017

Taylor will be laboring to remove the remainder of the inner fender from our pedal box firewall patch panel.
Click to view attachment
cary
Started Labor Day doing my least favorite task, outdoor media blasting. mad.gif
I blasted the lower portion of the front firewall that we'll be using for our patch panel.
Hopefully it made it easier for Taylor to remove the spot welds.
Click to view attachment

I got the fender patch welded in. I did it from the inside so I wasn't fighting the cowl.
I did a couple test sections of smoothing the weld from the top side. Looks like they finish up real nice.
Click to view attachment

Taylor did a nice job of removing the trimmed off fender portions and hammered out a wrinkle that we didn't see originally.
Click to view attachment

cary
Here's a shot of where we're at on Taylor's car . Your looking thru the targa bar down into the front firewall and into the frunk. The panel had to be seperated to be installed.
Click to view attachment

Everything is kind on hold till I finish up Doug's project and or add another welder to the shop. Super In Law gave Taylor a MIG welding lesson and he's been tuning up the spot weld cutter holes on the parts we're going to put back in the car.
Click to view attachment

Andyrew
QUOTE(cary @ Oct 4 2017, 07:13 AM) *

Here's a shot of where we're at on Taylor's car . Your looking thru the targa bar down into the front firewall and into the frunk. The panel had to be seperated to be installed.
Click to view attachment

Wow, You dont see that too often! Rarely does the front firewall have to be removed...

Great looking project!
Mikey914
Yes this was a almost rust free car. Otherwise this would be a parts car.
bbrock
Man, this is not your ordinary restoration. Keep up the great work! beerchug.gif
wes
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 4 2017, 09:04 AM) *

Yes this was a almost rust free car. Otherwise this would be a parts car.

Ah you forget it was a parts car, a very good parts car at that. With the amazing work going into her she’s looking more everyday like the day will come that she’s reborn as new. Great amazing work you’re going to end up with a very nice car to be proud of.
cary
With Super In Law awaiting his release, its time to get back to work.
Kind of stuck finishing up Mike's transmission swap and engine freshen up.
The mounting stud on the Pertronix was loose so Mike took it home for a JB Weld repair in a heated house.

So it's time to bring Taylor's project out Front and Center. It's a little chilly in the Non-Heated portion of the shop, but I'll push thru it. Cools the tack welds faster, LOL.
cary
Getting off to a chilly start ..................brrrr
Click to view attachment

Started with grinding and sanding the seam welds. Then onto welding up all the spot weld cutter holes.
Click to view attachment

Needs a little and dolly work. But turned out pretty good considering where we started.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

As long as was there I tuned up the door frame / tub wall.
Click to view attachment

cary
After a little more inspecting ..................

I found the left front sway bar mount is missing a nut and torn. mad.gif
Click to view attachment

Used my Tangerine backing plate to center it up and weld on an 8mm flange nut to
put it back in business.
Click to view attachment

Then it was time to take a look at the front trunk channel.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
I'll probably move this repair to a separate thread because I'll be using the 914 Rubber's weatherstripping channel repair strips.
cary
Next it was time to cut out the right fender pee pee holes.
Click to view attachment

Here's a few shots of the pee peed metal.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Mikey914
Thanks Cary,
Looks like it was a little worse there than we thought, but a t least we will have it fixed.
cary
Got all bundled up and got back to work. Still 40 degrees ...............
Click to view attachment

Out came the right fender..............
Click to view attachment

Trimmed off the excess on the new patch piece. Then clamped it up and cut out the patch to fit.
Click to view attachment

Got a nice tight fit on the patch. I was thinking that I made the patch too big. But I still ran into some thin spots along the seam. sad.gif
Click to view attachment

Let the fun begin ..................
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Welding was pretty uneventful ............ other than the thin spots I'll need to tackle in the morning.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I love my MillerMatic 141 .................... welder.gif
Mikey914
Good news is it's supposed to be warmer tomorrow.
Mark
cary
Started with tidying up the thin spots created by the round material and over finishing.
Tough sledding on the round surfaces.
Click to view attachment

Then on to filling all the spot weld holes and 40 years of PO sheet metal holes.
Had to make a couple patches on the cross member arch.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Handy tool

Click to view attachment

Took a while but got them ready for the next step. Didn't over finish too much. They'll get spot or rosette welded again.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mueller
^wow, great sheet metal work there!
jimkelly
man, i love to see a car being blasted right down to metal, nice aktion035.gif
cary
It costs. But it's the only way you find everything.
Mikey914
This is my gift to my son. He puts in the time, I put up the cash ...and parts.
cary
Next was the tune up of the hinge support and dash tie in.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Yes, the blasting glass continues to fall out of the long ...............

After close inspection I decide the floor/firewall/chassis tie in braces need new flanges rather than trying to fill in the damage done by the spot weld removal.
Click to view attachment
Went to Rothsport today and stomp sheared some 1/2" 20ga strips.

Then it was time to start the fitting of the replacement fuel tank/firewall lower portion.
It's going to take some time determining the cut out. Nothing was left of original section. It came out in pieces.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The lower section of the fender/fuel tank will be installed after the section above.
Click to view attachment
cary
Forgot to post Sunday's work.

Started the day by seeing if I could shrink the 1/2" strips I sheared at Rothsport.
Click to view attachment

We'll come back to those later ................

cary
Next onto the seriously dented cross-member mount.
I decided the mount would have to come off first so I can pound out the dent.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
That's supposed to be flat .....................
I'm surprised Jack didn't catch it when he dropped the front suspension.

Off she came.
Click to view attachment

Ended up with an oil can dent inside the orange lines. Tried to move the metal too fast.
Needs to be in the car and solidly attached. Shrinking hammer was enough. I'll fire up the shrinking disk after the patch panel is solidly welded in.
Click to view attachment
cary
Then it was time to start fitting and trimming .................
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here's the bottom of the cross-member mount dent.
It will take some tuning to get the edge to line up correctly.
Click to view attachment

Then it was time to fill all the spot weld cutter holes.
Click to view attachment
cary
Let the fun begin. Tuning and tacking ................
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Got a good start before I headed home ................

Mikey914
Thanks Cary,
See you Wed with some cash.
cary
Friday didn't quite go as planned so I went back to work on Taylor's car.

Finished the stitching and got the front seam welded in. Didn't over finish the bottom. It will be under coated. The top side finished up real nice and its ready for the wall section.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Then it was back to the oil canned section next to the fuel tank access hole.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
The little shrinking disk takes quite a long time to get the metal heated up. Or maybe its just cold outside. With the front attached I got about 80% of it out.

On to the passenger floor seam .................
With the front tied down it allowed me to pound it down flat. As it flattened out I trimmed a couple more mms out between the 2 pcs as I went along. Saw blade width.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I even retained the drain slot ...............

6 inches to go on the back side. I have a piece to trim down to replace the section that got scalped during cut out.
Click to view attachment

Getting an early start. Want to get this section finished up. Plus waiting for a reply on a wood/metal upright band saw on Craigslist. biggrin.gif
cary
Got the tip welded back on ...........
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

After test fitting Doug's old cross member it looks like we have a little issue.
I'll do some measurements tonite to see where we're off. I have the car on the frame bench to measure against.
Click to view attachment

Yes, I could make it fit. Bigger Hammer. But I don't want to use up our given +/- tolerance with a hammer.

Doug's mount fits into my project car, like butter.
Click to view attachment
Taylor brought out his cross member and it fits like Doug's so we'll go with that.

Odd thing though. The cross member we'd set aside for the frame bench fits into Taylor's car as is. Who knows ......... They should all fit the same ............. Strap(s) tweaked.
Click to view attachment
cary
Click to view attachment

Well I went to the geometry expert for some input. Rick 918-S.
Best guess is that the car took a bump to the right torsion bar tube end.
I'll take some more measurements in the am to confirm. While we're measuring and coming up with a plan I'm going ahead with the front channel rust repair.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I'm going to cover this in a separate thread. Because ................
Mark and the team at 914 Rubber are going to make the replacement pieces available.
But looks like I need to get some measurements to get some complete channels made up.
rick 918-S
Nice work Cary. It's always interesting and challenging when it comes to chassis diagnosis. Specially with 2000 miles between us. Looks like we figured out what happened. I have a few ideas how to set it right. I will send another email then we can talk again.
tygaboy
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 11 2018, 01:06 AM) *

Nice work Cary. It's always interesting and challenging when it comes to chassis diagnosis. Specially with 2000 miles between us. Looks like we figured out what happened. I have a few ideas how to set it right. I will send another email then we can talk again.

Such a great community.... cheer.gif
cary
Well after all the measurements, pictures and emails Rick and I came to the consensus that the car took a hit on the right control arm end cap and tire wheel.
Click to view attachment

pretty significant whack..................
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

But after all the geometry, it looks to be 2-3 mm both back and to the right. Which is just a smidgen out of tolerance. So back to work ...............

First order of business. I'll fix the split in the tire well.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Needs a little more hammer and dolly work when I have a second set of hands.

Blasted the cross member and gave it a couple coats of cold galvanizing.
Click to view attachment
After just a smidgen of tuning and she slipped into place.

Next onto welding in the right rear cross member mount.
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Always enjoy a challenge. smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif beerchug.gif
cary
Here's all the geometry ..............
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
For prosperity's sake, I'll double check my notes on the 498.

Back to work ............
cary
Spent the morning weldng on the right rear cross member mount and re welding the arch. A little dicey ........... The flange took quite a beating coming out. But it came together nicely.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Checking the backside ............. a couple pin holes to fill

Click to view attachment
Gooder as new .......

Left last night with the bottom side of the cowl getting an Ospho treatment.
Best guess is the rust freckles are from the Dustless Blaster media left hanging.
Prior to the treatment, Taylor spent about 3 hours removing blasting media from the tub.
Round and round on the rotisserie. Plus some tapping with rubber mallets.

cary
Finished up the left side arch yesterday.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Next is the bottom 1/2 patch piece on the strut/fuel tank trunk wall.

cary
Catch up on Taylor's car.
1st. Treated the bottom side of the cowl with OSPHO. It had quite a bit of over spray or condensation from the paint stripping. After the OSPHO dried Taylor scrubbed it down with a red pad.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Then I gave it two coats of cold galvanizing in case it gets missing during paint.
Forgot to shoot a photo. I'll be back.

2nd. Onto the patch at the base of the cross panel.
Click to view attachment
cary
Took a little tuning to get it ready to weld in. It's a pretty tough removal. It's wedged in there pretty good.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Ready to go ................
Click to view attachment

Decided that the left inner fender needed a patch on a fairly thin spot.
Click to view attachment
Taylor.914
Have not been very active on the forum but still making progress. Don't have any pictures of before or during, but spent the weekend tearing out the rotted suspension. Now for some patch work and the me part us ready for install. Click to view attachment kooClick to view attachment
Taylor.914
Click to view attachment
cary
I feel bad. I've been so busy in the other room working with Matt. I haven't taken any pictures when go out and answer Taylor's questions. He did a great job on the suspension console removal. Looks like we'll have a little skin transfusion on the outer layer of the upper long.
Taylor.914
Some good progress was made this weekend on firewall patches. Click to view attachment
Taylor.914
Click to view attachment
Taylor.914
Click to view attachment
Taylor.914
Click to view attachment
Taylor.914
Prepping the donor. Click to view attachment
Taylor.914
Click to view attachment
Mikey914
just ordered up the passenger side engine tray section from Restoration design. Next week ready for install, maybe???
wes
Amazing work, turned out the car had more rust than I found when decided it was a Parts’s car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.