Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCC 2006 in Portland OFFICIAL
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
dgw
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ May 1 2005, 09:18 AM)
QUOTE (bondo @ May 1 2005, 12:08 PM)
5 moves much faster of course, but man is it boring!

you want boring?

NEBRASKA is boring !

(2863,7 mi 5 da 4 hr 43 min)

although i expect i might travel a bit quicker than that in the 911...

Hey, I've done both multiple times! sad.gif

5 is more boring than Nebraska, but a lot faster trip. smile.gif
ThinAir
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ May 1 2005, 05:55 PM)
Sandy said the July date is better. Lookes like were in again........

Cool, Rick! You'll get to see my '73 for real instead of just hearing about it over lunch. Linda & I are definitely in for 2006.
LuckieO
Joe (O'Brien) and I are in. We were thinking of taking a two week road trip and making some fun stops along the way. Maybe we will head to So Cal first to make sure that Joe Sharp is in attendance, like it or not. Hopefully, we will be traveling in three 914's this time (instead of one). I do not think that I can watch another day at the track without a car to drive...thanks Leo for the offer, you rock! I hope to see all of you there. We had a blast this year and made some really great friends!

Luck
ablose58
After all it 's not where we have wcc2006, it's all about the cars and the people and the common interests and getting there is half the fun smilie_pokal.gif the pacnw contingent made the wcc2005 somewhere to the tune of around 3000+miles, you will see some very spectactular scenery . Given the choice I would do it all over again smilie_pokal.gif
xitspd
QUOTE (LuckieO @ May 1 2005, 10:50 PM)
Joe (O'Brien) and I are in.  We were thinking of taking a two week road trip and making some fun stops along the way.  Maybe we will head to So Cal first to make sure that Joe Sharp is in attendance, like it or not.  Hopefully, we will be traveling in three 914's this time (instead of one).  I do not think that I can watch another day at the track without a car to drive...thanks Leo for the offer, you rock!  I hope to see all of you there.  We had a blast this year and made some really great friends!

Luck

Very cool! Make it to SoCal and we will hook up with your freight train to Portland. We can all follow the Neverland express. beerchug.gif It was nice meeting you Luckie....
Yoei66
QUOTE (mike_the_man @ May 1 2005, 06:30 PM)
Golf would be sweet. If I'm bringing golf clubs and a keg in the 914, all I'm gonna be able to pack is thongs. I hope it's warm! cool.gif

Would this be a keg of canadian beer, or homebrew beer?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (mike_the_man @ May 1 2005, 09:30 PM)
...all I'm gonna be able to pack is thongs.

izzat footwear or swimwear?
i need to decide if i'm going to be anticipatorily grossed-out ...

i haven't hit a golf ball since 2001...
Dan_F
Mark another Canadian on the list.
Way to go Craig! smilie_pokal.gif This will cut our drive in half. It will be alot more "bearable" to drive a 914 through the mountains than sitting in the Audi. driving.gif
AZ914
From the eastside of Tucson to PDX:

Distance: 1462.8 miles
Approximate Travel Time: 22 hours 30 mins ohmy.gif

Caravan anyone?
merrill
I am all over this one! If any one wants to meet in Truckee and cruise the cool and winding roads North jsut let me know. I used to drive a demo van for snowboards and would always take the back way. So much better.
TravisNeff
QUOTE (AZ914 @ May 2 2005, 10:27 AM)

Caravan anyone?

I'm game..
MarkG
Portland is a nice area, I will sure try to make it in my 914 (provided I don't get snowed in.....but July SHOULD be o.k.)!
AZ914
This has me thinking about a nice long road trip.. never been to Yosemite.. Stop in Tahoe in the summer would be nice biggrin.gif
TravisNeff
I'm afraid if I go up, I won't come home. Portland is a 2nd home to me.
Chris914n6
Summer'06 will be my big break between campusses. I'm thinking like Joe(914rs)... make the trip 2 weeks long and hit some sites, like redwoods in Norcal and Crater Lake. I've got relatives in Seatle that I might go see... I'd better give por15 a call laugh.gif

Anyone got website work needing to be done? wavey.gif biggrin.gif

even-stevens... '02 '04 '06.
rhodyguy
if you plan on taking some time, do ave of the giants to eureka, the coast to cresent city, c.s. to grants pass, g.p. to crater lake. come up the eastside of the cascades to mt hood and on to pland. fun drive.

k
mike_the_man
QUOTE (Yoei66 @ May 2 2005, 09:20 AM)
Golf would be sweet.  If I'm bringing golf clubs and a keg in the 914, all I'm gonna be able to pack is thongs.  I hope it's warm!  B)

Maybe some microbrew. We'll have to see what we can fit in a couple of 914s.

As for the thongs, it'll be both foot wear and swim wear. If I'm bringing a weekends worth of beer, and golf clubs, there ain't gonna be no room for clothes! I sure hope its warm out! smile.gif

rhodyguy
you guys will be coming down just for the BIG BEAR BURGER!! "the only person i've seen take a sandwich like that is my mother". "can i have a spoon for the gravy?". even markdmarc would have trouble with one of those.

k
BMartin914
QUOTE (MarkG @ May 2 2005, 11:08 AM)
(provided I don't get snowed in.....but July SHOULD be o.k.)!

I thought you were leaving this 'godforsaken place' Mark. screwy.gif

I love the PNW. Hopefully I can make it next year. beerchug.gif
ThinAir
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ May 2 2005, 02:24 PM)
I'm afraid if I go up, I won't come home.

Take the chance! We need as large a group from AZ as possible!

Every time I go to PNW, I almost don't come back - I particularly like Oregon: They have Dutch Brothers Coffee!
ThinAir
QUOTE (AZ914 @ May 2 2005, 02:18 PM)
Stop in Tahoe in the summer would be nice

I'm sure Linda & I will stop at Tahoe. I love Tahoe, but it will be particularly great to take the 914 around the lake and leave the VW camper at the campsite.
mike_the_man
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ May 2 2005, 03:31 PM)
you guys will be coming down just for the BIG BEAR BURGER!! "the only person i've seen take a sandwich like that is my mother". "can i have a spoon for the gravy?". even markdmarc would have trouble with one of those.

k

Ahhh, the Big Bear Burger. We saw another one on the way home and had to restrain Dan. He seems to be in love with them. Not a healthy realtionship at all! biggrin.gif

boxstr
All of those people driving up through Calif, be sure and stop in Willows at the Black Bear Restaurant.
You will find the drive much more bearable after the Big Bear Burger and a piece of Bearry Pie.
Or if you are there for dinner the "Cluck and Buck", my favorite.
If you miss the one in Willows you have a second chance at the one in Grants Pass, Oregon.
CCLINBEARYBEARYBADBOY
VegasRacer
QUOTE (LuckieO @ May 1 2005, 10:50 PM)
We were thinking of taking a two week road trip and making some fun stops along the way.

I haven't missed a WCC yet, and I sure don't plan on starting now.
Go up on the PCH and come back thru Tahoe? With lots of zig-zags in between.
redshift
idea.gif

Is Portland closer to me, than Vegas? aktion035.gif

ohmy.gif

headbang.gif

hah

M
Bruce Allert
QUOTE (redshift @ May 2 2005, 10:04 PM)
idea.gif

Is Portland closer to me, than Vegas? aktion035.gif

ohmy.gif

headbang.gif

hah

M

Figuring on trajectory and being compromised with the angle of the dangle it's only closer if done via the round trip situation beer.gif w00t.gif drunk.gif

........b
Root_Werks
QUOTE (bondo @ Apr 30 2005, 09:03 AM)
Sweet, thanks Craig! More than a year to prepare.. aweseome! Now I can reset my countdown clock! smile.gif

432 days left!

laugh.gif

Yep, I'm going for sure! Right on Craig! smilie_pokal.gif Need any help, please let me know.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (mike_the_man @ May 2 2005, 09:19 PM)
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ May 2 2005, 03:31 PM)
you guys will be coming down just for the BIG BEAR BURGER!! ... even markdmarc would have trouble with one of those.

Ahhh, the Big Bear Burger. We saw another one on the way home and had to restrain Dan.

if it's big burgers you want, you may have to consider PA ...

Pa. Eatery Offers New 15-Pound Burger  AP - Tue May 3, 8:05 AM ET

CLEARFIELD, Pa. - The burger war is growing. Literally. Denny's Beer Barrel Pub, which lost its crown as the home of the world's biggest burger earlier this year, is now offering a new burger that weighs a whopping 15 pounds.
Yoei66
QUOTE (mike_the_man @ May 2 2005, 03:20 PM)
QUOTE (Yoei66 @ May 2 2005, 09:20 AM)
Golf would be sweet.  If I'm bringing golf clubs and a keg in the 914, all I'm gonna be able to pack is thongs.  I hope it's warm!  B)

Maybe some microbrew. We'll have to see what we can fit in a couple of 914s.

As for the thongs, it'll be both foot wear and swim wear. If I'm bringing a weekends worth of beer, and golf clubs, there ain't gonna be no room for clothes! I sure hope its warm out! smile.gif

Mike:

I assure you, you don't need to worry about bring micro brew with you. Portland is the capital of North West micro-brewing. There is a wide local regional, and international selection available here. We are very beer spoiled here in Portland. You may also have an easier time getting through customs at the US border, without trying to run across the boarder like Burt Reynolds in the movie Gator.
rhodyguy
the cute waitress at the willows store is looking for a ride in a 914. her sights were on craig i think. smile.gif

k
Dan_F
The key to eating a big bear burger is getting only cheese and lettuce.
It allows the burger to stay together and doesn't fill you up on filler, the bun was the hardest part though. I'm glad I decided to not drink the gravy for the free dessert.

As for that 15 pound burger... wow! pray.gif to anyone that eats that.
mike_the_man
Well, maybe the Canadians will just have to buy a couple of kegs from the area. That would eliminate the transport problem, and allow me to bring some clothes with. Sounds like a win win situation for everybody involved. biggrin.gif

Kevin, which waitress are you talking about? The young one, or the old one that kept calling Craig Honey? smile.gif

grantsfo
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Apr 30 2005, 08:19 PM)
g-darn... what's wrong with you guys... this year it's april, now it's july for next years...
why not may or june headbang.gif

oh well... they're just gonna have to do with out me at the office
We're not gonna miss another one...

May and June are still rainy months in Portland. July and August are typically best months for no to little rain, but youre never safe there. I had a couple rainy 4th of July's when I lived in Portland.

A couple things to remeber with Portland and July time frame. For most of us Californians it means going up I 5 to make time. July and California Central Valley all the way up through Southern OR during that time of month will likely be a blast furnance. Not a problem for you people who plan to tow, but 914's without air will be in for a interesting trip. Something for you V8 guys running hot Chevy engines to think about too. Guess some of Nor Cal people could drive it during the evening or take much longer coastal routes. Lets just hope we have a cool July next year! Regardless I'll be there I still have lots of good freinds in that town and would love to see them.

Portland on the other hand will be beautiful in July. I'd love to see a drive around Mount Hood on one of the days. Getting onto the Track in Portland would be a blast as well.

drgchapman
We are tentatively planning a loop of Mt Hood. Up the mountain, through Hood River and the Gorge, stop at Edgefield(maybe) for microbrew and then back to base. An awesome drive. Could go up to Timberline as well for the view, and to see the glacier. One of my favorite drives!
Bruce Allert
a drive like that would be totally awesome... an all day trip especially stopping at Edgefield for some juice! beerchug.gif

..........b
ArtechnikA
i'd love to actually do a drive lilke that. the 1980 Parade rallye was all around Mt Hood with the dinner at the big ski lodge at the top. i understand the scenery was beautiful -- i was the navigator on that event and it all just looked like a clipboard to me...

i have some extended family in Troutdale/Corbett, overlooking the Gorge -- beautiful area !
MoveQik
QUOTE (AZ914 @ May 2 2005, 10:27 AM)

Caravan anyone?

I think I'm in. More than likely I'll tow the 914, however. The 5-6 hour stretch from Phoenix to San Diego doesn't sound like much fun in a 914 in July!
GWN7
I did a Google search on Portland.....most important bit I found was there are 21 brewerys in Portland. wink.gif biggrin.gif
mike_the_man
That is important! Great research Bruce! You think you'll have a 914 ready to drive out for next year? Stop in Regina, and we can convoy from here!

boxstr
Yes Bruce just might be driving a V8 914 to WCC 2006. WOOHHAAA We will see.
CCLINGUYINCHARGE
GWN7
Gees Craig.....keep it secret.....next you will be telling everyone about our plans to kidnap Miles and bring him to the WCC06 (Winnipeg to Savannah - 1833.80 miles Savannah to Portland - 2849.39 miles Total: 4683.19 miles)

wink.gif biggrin.gif

P.S. He can find his own way home cool.gif laugh.gif
jimtab
QUOTE (boxstr @ May 2 2005, 08:38 PM)
All of those people driving up through Calif, be sure and stop in Willows at the Black Bear Restaurant.
You will find the drive much more bearable after the Big Bear Burger and a piece of Bearry Pie.
Or if you are there for dinner the "Cluck and Buck", my favorite.
If you miss the one in Willows you have a second chance at the one in Grants Pass, Oregon.
CCLINBEARYBEARYBADBOY

OR, go to the original Big Bear in Mt. Shasta, ca. I'm in, and my car will be nice enough for a number this time....
bernbomb914
for all of you that are going north to get there, go hwy 101 thru Sonoma wine country. It has some of the beautifulest twisty roads I have ever seen. just spent a week there and was dumbstruck with all the beauty everywhere from the old redwoods to the 500 year old oaks. you wont be dissapointed.

PS I will be there

Bernie
smooth_eddy
If I'm bringing golf clubs and a keg in the 914, all I'm gonna be able to pack is thongs

I hope he is talking about the kind that goes on feet. Not the ones seen at the beach in Rio de Janeiro. monkeydance.gif Eddy
smooth_eddy
I for one am excited about Portland. The city has a lot to offer and some spectacular drives just miles from the city. Being a global club, there is no perfect place for a gathering. I like the fact that other states get a chance to host the event. After all, California has had 2 WCC's now. July is the best time weather-wise in the NW and Portland is a relatively inexpensive city. I'll be there. Eddy driving.gif
914werke
lol2.gif Grant great Avatar! smilie_pokal.gif
I'm glad I decided to not drink the gravy for the free dessert.
Dan I forgot about drinking the Gravy beer.gif ROFLAMO w00t.gif
Im gonna do my level best to get the 74 done before the event so dont feel slighted if you dont see a lot of posts from me ...
Ill be Workin on the Teener!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (MW 914 @ May 17 2005, 10:34 PM)
The 5-6 hour stretch from Phoenix to San Diego doesn't sound like much fun in a 914 in July!

done it, survived. did it in a '53 coupe, too. cools off a bit once you hit the mountains. still, i'd do it v-e-r-y early in the morning.

heading for Portland i think i'd take 10 to the 210 to 5 unless you have another reason to go to San Diego...
MoveQik
I really want to go to WCC 2006 AND I really want my car there. However, driving there basically adds 3 1/2 - 4 days to the trip as it is about 20+ housrs of driving from Phoenix according to Mapquest.

How about this for an idea:

We get a couple of us from the Valley that want to go. Ship the cars up to Portland. Perhaps have them delivered to a local members house? Then we fly up, taxi over get our cars and let the fun begin. Then just reverse the whole process coming home.

I do love it up there. We go up to Ocenaside Oregon every year for vacation. Beautiful country I tell ya.

Any takers on my idea?
double-a
excellent idea. just have them delivered to my house in vancouver, wa. if you're shipping a sixer, i'll need it here a couple weeks in advance so i can work out proper, uh, storage until you get here. wink.gif

~a
rhodyguy
timberline lodge is prob one of the most interesting buildings i've ever been in. both historically and architechturally. we should consider adding it to the intinerary on the loop. nice drive up the side of the hill too.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.