Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCC 2006 in Portland OFFICIAL
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
boxstr
We will do what we can Doc. Another thing I would like to throw into the mix is th eidea of a 914 for a raffle. Someone mentioned it earlier in another thread. I will look into that with some of the vendors on the site.
CCLINWCCPDX2006
Bleyseng
Miles has a 914 he would love to raffle off!
Eric Taylor
Sounds great craig! I can't wait to go! Let me know if their is anything I can do to help
Eric
drgchapman
Hey Craig, Pamela and I were thinking Edgefield would be a thought. 114 rooms ranging from suites to hostel accomodations. Brewery, distillery, wine. 30+ acres of land, golf course, places to have group functions, display the cars, etc. Good road run up the mountain, throught the gorge, not too bad to the track. BEER, BEER, BOOZE, WINE, BEER.

Gary
red914
Craig, you rawk!! thanks to JP also, and any others making this work. i guess i can't sell my teener just yet, eh?
Korijo
yee-haw smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif clap.gif clap.gif

i can help, too! maybe deal with the sponsering division confused24.gif
J P Stein
I'll do my bestest to get the track for the following Monday. Youz guys do your best to get 75-80 (or more)pre paid bodies there, K?
boxstr
We now have a protected forum for the 2006 WCC planning. For those of you who are willing to help, please send me a PM and I will see that you are included in the forum.
Please be prepared to help, not to just be a casual observer. We can get enough of those right here. The pay is great and the rewards are plenty. A rust free Porsche 914 is just part of the spoils that will go to those who help. Trips aboard the 914club jet are promised and food and lodging will also be included.
With that said, PM on. biggrin.gif
CCLINWCCPDX2006
Howard
QUOTE (drgchapman @ Apr 30 2005, 07:21 PM)
Hey Craig, Pamela and I were thinking Edgefield would be a thought. 114 rooms ranging from suites to hostel accomodations. Brewery, distillery, wine. 30+ acres of land, golf course, places to have group functions, display the cars, etc. Good road run up the mountain, throught the gorge, not too bad to the track. BEER, BEER, BOOZE, WINE, BEER.

Gary

I swear to God I'm a 22. $20 skins? laugh.gif
drgchapman
I wanna sit in the front right seat of the jet. I' m a bonfied volunteer. Pamela and I can help.
boxstr
Gary and Pam, That is a good idea. If not for the hotel stay, then maybe a run out and back or a pit stop, then on up the gorge.
PM me for P. forum.
Soryy Howard it is a pitch and putt course. biggrin.gif But then maybe that is your kind of golf? Don't need a cart.
CCLINPDXWCC2006
Jeroen
g-darn... what's wrong with you guys... this year it's april, now it's july for next years...
why not may or june headbang.gif

oh well... they're just gonna have to do with out me at the office
We're not gonna miss another one...
ThinAir
QUOTE (boxstr @ Apr 30 2005, 05:47 PM)
Another thing I would like to throw into the mix is th eidea of a 914 for a raffle.

Take a look at Arizona Bus Club to get an idea of what another car club does. If you look at the Jerome 2004 Bus you'll get an idea of what the club put into the vehicle to get it ready for the raffle. In the early years the busses that were raffled were much rougher and not restored much, if at all, but it's become more sophisticated over time.

www.arizonabusclub.com
ThinAir
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Apr 30 2005, 09:19 PM)
oh well... they're just gonna have to do with out me at the office
We're not gonna miss another one...

You aren't alone - I'm trying to figure out how to also make the family reunion in Michigan that I promised I'd attend. WCC2006 is far more exciting! I'm not gonna miss another one...
boxstr
Ernie thanks that is a great site to get ideas. Very much what I would like to accomplish. I think something a little more done and with a lot of goodies.
CCLINWCCPDX2006
J P Stein
Ah, gud, the international jet set checks in.

That's Portland, not Poland....go to France & hang a right, pass 2 coastlines & just before the next one hang another right. Go till ya hit a big river....not one of them candy assed Califorina creeks either.....a BIG mo fo....Rhinesized. Land.
ThinAir
QUOTE (boxstr @ Apr 30 2005, 09:31 PM)
Ernie thanks that is a great site to get ideas. Very much what I would like to accomplish. I think something a little more done and with a lot of goodies.

The raffle bus is quite a production - not only in getting the vehicle ready, but the whole raffle itself.

It is the concluding event of each year's Jerome Jamboree. You have to be present to win. Everyone gathers around the bus and they read off the first 3 of 6 numbers. If you match those, you step up and put your hand on the bus. As they read each of the succeeding numbers, folks walk away if they don't have a match, until hopefully there is just one person left. If they don't get a match on all numbers, the process starts over again.

Last year's winner was the last person at the bus with 1 number left, but didn't match. They drew again and she ended up being the last person again - only this time the last number matched!

After the drawing, it's a tradition that all the "losers" toss their tickets into the bus to give the winner some "fun" with having to clean out the bus!
Bleyseng
Hey July is good, the kids all over are out of school so no excuses this time Jeroen.

Howard
QUOTE (boxstr @ Apr 30 2005, 09:16 PM)
Sorry Howard it is a pitch and putt course. biggrin.gif But then maybe that is your kind of golf? Don't need a cart.
CCLINPDXWCC2006

Pitch and putt is like AX to Track. Like 'em both. Since you're so much younger, give me 3 a side? biggrin.gif
scotty914
i will be brutaly honest here. personally i dont think portland will do near as well as an event in california, due to several reasons... one there are people who would not drive there 914 3 hours to the wcc 05 let alone 10 or so. lets face it most 914s are in california. also portland does not have a big ticket item like vegas near by as an additional draw.

portland might be nice but you dont ever hear about portland like you do california, with mulhuland ( sp ) drive the PCH, vegas 2 hours hours away, LA to see for the first time etc.

now teri and i had a blast going the wcc but we had many things to make it better, like family to see while traveling both ways, crashing at joe's house ( both sharp and 914rs, thanks to both of ya ) getting the stand on the famous sklines drive way and vegas for the first time. for me to drive to portland is just 4 days of driving with stops at hotels. granted i might be able to stop at a few members houses but it does not have the big draws for me.

i think the worse thing to do for some thing like the wcc is to put it at any corner of the US, it just make it a longer drive for more people... and some of those wont go because of it. i would think putting the wcc in SD would be just as bad as portland. lets face it the best place is in the center of any coast not the top or the bottom.

sorry about this post but i just dont think it would be near as many people, and all the extras i got to do with the wcc 05 are not there so i would bet for others it will be the same
boxstr
Howard, if you come up here for the WCC 2006 I will pay your greens fee and we will play the big guys course. I would like this to be the first year for a WCC golf tournament.

Scott, I guess we won't be seeing you and your lovely new bride in Portland in 2006??
CCLINWCCPDX2006
TurtleGirl
QUOTE (drgchapman @ Apr 30 2005, 08:21 PM)

Gary

Nico and I stayed at McMenamins Edgefield in February. The complex is great, off the beaten path, and secure... if parking lots are issues for you. They have their own winery, distillery, brewery, several restaurants, cinema draft-house, massage... And it's really affordable, as well. My $.02, this would really be a place to look into.

Liz biggrin.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (scott thacher @ May 1 2005, 11:15 AM)
i will be brutaly honest here. personally i dont think portland will do near as well as an event in california...

where is it written that each year's event MUST have a bigger draw than the one before to be "successful" ?

...most 914s are in california

sorry, that's just not true. there are many 914's in California but "most" are in the whole rest of the world. i for one don't think that those people should be excluded from a local event now and then. it is similarly not written that everyone must attend every event every year. sometimes it'll be worth making The Big Trip to a special venue, and sometimes it's nice having one in your (figurative) back yard.

portland does not have a big ticket item like vegas near by as an additional draw.

you can go to Las Vegas any time - that stuff is always there...

you dont ever hear about portland like you do california

i've been to both; i consider that a good thing...

i think the worse thing to do for some thing like the wcc is to put it at any corner of the US, it just make it a longer drive for more people...

and it makes it a much shorter drive for some others...

lets face it the best place is in the center of any coast not the top or the bottom.

i just don't agree. lots of events fail when they are placed so as to be equally inconvenient to all...

...i just dont think it would be near as many people

they will have cycles. this year's event -- and the ones in 2000, 2002, and 2004, DIDN'T have much participation from the Pacific NorthWest. give them a chance to host a local event. some people won't come from far away, and i don't think any WCC planner is seriously anticipating a big inrush of people fro anywhere on the Atlantic coast. give 'em a shot. this whole process is very new. if it sucks, we'll think seriously about doing it again. i think they're going to put on a great event, and i'm much more excited about the Portland area than i was about this year's venue (i lived in SoCal for 30 years, it's a nice place to be from...)

are you coming to this year's East Coast Ramble in VT ?
rhodyguy
the draw is the draw scott. some people have driven 17 hours and some for longer periods wink.gif . it's simple, they show or they don't. pnw owners have driven it out twice to cal. if folks can't plan 14 months out wacko.gif , feel their cars are untrustworthy, or if it's just too far, they can look at the pictures. i take it you have never been to our region. with canadian contingent, and the 30 odd members in the puget sound area, getting people to portland is not an issue.

k
Joe Bob
For me....doable....if they let me over the border... cool_shades.gif

But 14 hours is based on 70 mph avarage...towing a car...figure another 3-4 hours for slower speeds and pee stops...double that if I have the kids....

1: Start out going SOUTHEAST on ANACAPA ST toward E ORTEGA ST. 0.2 miles Map

2: Turn LEFT onto E HALEY ST. 0.1 miles Map

3: Turn RIGHT onto GARDEN ST. 0.1 miles Map

4: Merge onto US-101 N. 287.5 miles Map

5: Merge onto I-680 N toward SACRAMENTO (Portions toll). 71.3 miles Map

6: Merge onto I-80 E toward SACRAMENTO. 15.1 miles Map

7: Merge onto I-505 N toward WINTERS/REDDING. 34.3 miles Map

8: I-505 N becomes I-5 N. 543.7 miles Map

9: Take the I-405 exit- EXIT 299B- on the LEFT toward CITY CENTER/US-26 W/BEAVERTON. 0.2 miles Map

10: Take EXIT 1A on the LEFT toward NAITO PKWY./JAPANESE-AMERICAN HIST. PLAZA. 0.1 miles Map

11: Stay STRAIGHT to go onto SW HARBOR DR. 0.5 miles Map

12: Turn RIGHT onto SW FRONT AVE/SW NAITO PKWY. 0.6 miles Map

13: Turn LEFT onto SW ASH ST. 0.2 miles Map

14: Turn RIGHT onto SW 4TH AVE. <0.1 miles Map

15: Turn LEFT onto NW COUCH ST. <0.1 miles Map

16: End at Portland, OR US Map

Total Est. Time: 14 hours, 48 minutes Total Est. Distance: 954.77 miles
bondo
QUOTE ("Z" @ May 1 2005, 09:49 AM)
For me....doable....if they let me over the border... cool_shades.gif

But 14 hours is based on 70 mph avarage...towing a car...figure another 3-4 hours for slower speeds and pee stops...double that if I have the kids....

You can save a toll and traffic if you cut over to 5 at 46 to 41 (Paso Robles to Kettleman City). 5 moves much faster of course, but man is it boring! wacko.gif
rhodyguy
mike, why beat yourself up? first day to Weed or Yreka. early departure the next day will put you in Portland early in the afternoon and you will be fresh as a daisy. well, at least fresh. biggrin.gif 101 may not be the fastest for you. it might seem like back tracking, but down to 126 and jet over to I-5 might shave quite a bit of time. but i'm a worshingtonian, what do i know. wacko.gif

k
bernbomb914
I will be there

Bernie mueba.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif monkeydance.gif
spare time toys
Its 2131 miles from DFW I figure if I take the best line on all the corners I can shave it down to 2130 miles lol2.gif Just need two things to happen 1 Get the car done, 2 Something other than the Suburban for a tow car beerchug.gif Now that I think of it this is a cake walk. Mom, Dad, and I did 2800 miles in 2.5 days driving to Costa Mesa and back to get the 928 and we took in the AX in San Bernideno while we were at it. driving.gif driving-girl.gif driving.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (bondo @ May 1 2005, 12:08 PM)
5 moves much faster of course, but man is it boring!

you want boring?

NEBRASKA is boring !

(2863,7 mi 5 da 4 hr 43 min)

although i expect i might travel a bit quicker than that in the 911...
xitspd
cool.gif 1: Start out going SOUTHEAST on DENIZEN HEIGHTS RD toward VALLE HEIGHTS RD. 0.1 miles Map

2: Turn LEFT onto VALLE HEIGHTS RD. 0.1 miles Map

3: Turn LEFT onto MARSHALL AVE. 0.4 miles Map

4: Turn LEFT onto CA-74/FLORIDA AVE. 2.2 miles Map

5: Turn RIGHT onto RAMONA EXPY. 1.2 miles Map

6: RAMONA EXPY becomes MOUNTAIN AVE. 1.9 miles Map

7: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto N RAMONA EXPY. 5.3 miles Map

8: Turn RIGHT onto N SANDERSON AVE/CA-79. 1.1 miles Map

9: Take the GILMAN SPRINGS RD ramp. 0.3 miles Map

10: Turn LEFT onto GILMAN SPRINGS RD. 9.7 miles Map

11: Merge onto CA-60 W. 37.5 miles Map

12: Merge onto CA-71 N toward POMONA. 5.3 miles Map

13: Merge onto CA-57 N. 3.2 miles Map

14: Merge onto I-210 W via the exit on the LEFT toward PASADENA. 44.4 miles Map

15: Take the I-5 N/GOLDEN STATE FWY exit on the LEFT toward SACRAMENTO. 0.5 miles Map

16: Take the AUTOS exit on the LEFT. 0.2 miles Map

17: Merge onto I-5 N. 925.5 miles Map

18: Merge onto I-205 N/VETERANS MEMORIAL HWY via EXIT 288 toward I-84/THE DALLES/SEATTLE. 21.9 miles Map

19: Merge onto I-84 E/US-30 E via EXIT 22 toward THE DALLES/MT. HOOD/COLUMBIA RIVER GORGE. 6.9 miles Map

20: Take the 238TH DR. exit- EXIT 16- toward WOOD VILLAGE. 0.2 miles Map

21: Turn RIGHT onto NE 238TH DR. 0.2 miles Map

22: Turn LEFT onto BIRCH AVE. 0.1 miles Map

23: Turn RIGHT onto NE HALSEY ST. 0.4 miles Map

24: End at Troutdale, OR 97060-1026, US Map

Total Est. Time: 16 hours, 14 minutes Total Est. Distance: 1069.85 miles

I'm in with wife, transporter and (914-6 this time)
FriarJohn
I think I might actually be able to make it to this one. Of course I'll probably be on my scoot. I doubt I'll have either of my 914s running by then...
markb
Marcie & I are in! mueba.gif

I've got lots of time to get the Blue car painted. If I can convince the Cap'n to let me move Dad's Car to the shop, I can probably have it real close by WCC06.

Less people would not really be a bad thing. I barely got a chance to meet a fraction of the folks at WCC05 (would have met more, but we didn't find our way to Neverland). I'm quite looking forward to getting out of CA and seeing some other part of the US. I have complete faith in Craig & Company to give us a memorable event.

Wow, can you imagine the caravan we could have moving north across the border. w00t.gif
anthony
There's also no reason that you need to bring a 914 to a WCC. I always see cheap flights to Portland on Southwest.

If it's too far to drive, then fly, rent a car, hang out with the people and have fun. You can drive your 914 anytime.
spare time toys
QUOTE (anthony @ May 1 2005, 01:18 PM)
There's also no reason that you need to bring a 914 to a WCC. I always see cheap flights to Portland on Southwest.

Great idea support my company smilie_pokal.gif I want to have Ricks and My cars in the same place one time when done. What better venue could there be? cool_shades.gif
JohnM
I've brought the idea up to another forum member already about the possibility of getting a SoCal group transport up to Portland and then just flying in on Southwest. The rig could start picking cars up in San Diego and work its way up to LA or even further up CA if enough people were interested. Yes it would cost and no I don't know how much or even if it is budget feasible-- it is just an idea at this point. Think about it-- the time involved driving, possible mishaps, backaches from driving a stiff performance car 1000+ miles, etc... , you could drive the hell out of the car in Portland on the ax, track etc... and not have to worry that it is still running well enough to get you home! Just need someone to pick us up at the airport and a place to deliver the cars. Just an idea. It might make be a sensible option to those who have a few extra nickles. I stopped tracking early at WCC05 to make sure I had enough car to make it the 3-400 miles home (gotta get some temp guages!). That said a 914 caravan up North from CA would be a heck of alot of fun, too! An adventure in itself. Just brainstorming. John
rick 918-S
Bruce (GWN7) and I discussed meeting up in Canada shipping our cars out by train early and flying in. Sandy said the July date is better. Lookes like were in again........ beerchug.gif
dan10101
QUOTE (boxstr @ May 1 2005, 08:21 AM)
Howard, if you come up here for the WCC 2006 I will pay your greens fee and we will play the big guys course. I would like this to be the first year for a WCC golf tournament.

Is this an invitation only tournament?

user posted image
Joe Bob
Do we have to wear ugly polyester pants?
mike_the_man
The Canadian's are in! Well, me for sure. If it's in Portland, we may even show up in 914s. Dan's car made it from Camp914 to Regina succesfully, so I'm sure we can make it back. I wonder if we can fit kegs in the trunks and have enough room left for clothes. Ah well, beer is more important. I think Portland will be a great area. We spent a bit of time on the way down, and I was more impressed with the Portland area than California. I may have to come down a few days early and do some windsurfing at the Gorge. I'm so excited! biggrin.gif

GaroldShaffer
For me the date of the last two WCC was the problem, now with a July date for 2006 this could be doable idea.gif we could drive, umm 2147 miles with, at that time 4yrold, while trying to pull my 914 behind the truck screwy.gif Then again we could fly out idea.gif

Start out going WEST on CENTRAL AVE toward VIVIAN ST. 0.3 miles

2: Turn RIGHT onto WILLOWCREEK RD. 0.5 miles

3: Merge onto I-80 W (Portions toll). 1374.6 miles

4: Merge onto I-84 W via EXIT 168 toward OGDEN. 770.3 miles

5: Take the I-5 S exit on the LEFT toward SALEM/BEAVERTON. 0.3 miles

6: Take the exit toward CITY CENTER/MORRISON ST.. 0.3 miles

7: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto MORRISON BRIDGE. 0.2 miles

8: Stay STRAIGHT to go onto ramp. <0.1 miles

9: Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto SW WASHINGTON ST. 0.1 miles

10: Turn RIGHT onto SW 4TH AVE. 0.2 miles

11: Turn LEFT onto NW COUCH ST. <0.1 miles

12: End at Portland, OR US

Total Est. Time: 31 hours, 48 minutes Total Est. Distance: 2147.39 miles
Bruce Allert
QUOTE (dan10101 @ May 1 2005, 05:58 PM)
QUOTE (boxstr @ May 1 2005, 08:21 AM)

user posted image

a golf tourney would be fun clap.gif

Craig, where's the Big Guys Course...? The Three Nines Resort on the Mountain???

........b
mike_the_man
Golf would be sweet. If I'm bringing golf clubs and a keg in the 914, all I'm gonna be able to pack is thongs. I hope it's warm! cool.gif
carreraguy
Count me in for Portland! May end up going more than once if I go to Parade too!

Anyone considered one or more WCC06 914 "tech sessions" regarding a topic of common interest? That's something I would attend for sure - not much of a golfer; I had to give it up years ago for mental health reasons.
drew365
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Apr 30 2005, 07:57 PM)
I'll do my bestest to get the track for the following Monday. Youz guys do your best to get 75-80 (or more)pre paid bodies there, K?

IMHO; if you separate the track fee you won't get 80 cars unless you have a bigger showing than we did. We were supposed to have 75 and I thought it would drift up to 80. We had 65 914clubbers plus 5 invited POC instructors show up. I think a lot of the guys went to the track because it wasn't costing anything extra and were glad they went, but if they had the choice ahead of time to not go and save some money then CSOBitis would have prevailed. .02c, adjust for inflation.
boxstr
Blue Heron golf course is next to PIR, open to all 914 attendees.
CCLINWCCPDX2006
Aaron Cox
only a 15 hour drive from here blink.gif
Carl
There are always tradeoffs in one venue or another. I think the PNW people showed great support for the two events held in California. Now is the time to return the favor and I'm really looking forward to it.

Being a frequent visitor to the state (in-laws live in Salem) Portland will be blast. Craig and his enthusiastic crew will put on a great event. Be prepared for spectacular scenery and a fun event.

I think Mer and I'll head up the coast. That's 914 roads all the way. driving.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ May 1 2005, 08:36 AM)

...most 914s are in california

sorry, that's just not true. there are many 914's in California but "most" are in the whole rest of the world. i for one don't think that those people should be excluded from a local event now and then.

Most of the "active" 914 owners...

There were 5 914's from PNW/CAN and 12 from the SFBA on our caravan.

I agree with Scott and don't understand why Art is rebutting, but I believe the draw is existing and new friendships. It doesn't have to be fair, more 914's, or better location. We use the common thread as an excuse to enjoy others unique experience of the car. I'll go to Portland just to hang out with Craig, Kevin, Jim, and the OR guys...hope to see all the characters and "regular" members...from the last WCCs.
double-a
being about five minutes from portland, i'm in. i can help with stuff as needed, though i'm not sure what i could do.

~a
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.