Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCC 2006 in Portland OFFICIAL
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
boxstr
Okay let's get the ball moving here. Portland is the official site for the 2006 WCC #3 July 7-8-9.
It is going to piggyback on the Portland Historic races, go here for more information on the historics... http://www.portlandhistorics.com/
I have spoken to the operations manager on thursday, and she is very supportive of our group using the Portland Historics as a piggyback event. She is open to suggestions and will discount group ticket sales.
Hotels are plentiful and close to the racetrack, but we need to get them booked early. Shopping and restaurants are closeby. Indoor go kart track, just up the freeway. Golf course next to the track.
The weather in July will be fabulous, warm and sunny, but not sweltering.
Volunteers will be needed and I will ask for all the help I can get.
So plan on the beautiful Pacific Northwest for the WCC 2006.
CCLINWTFHAVEIDONE
JoeSharp
Thanks Craig. I'll be glad to help.
biggrin.gif Joe
ArtechnikA
sounds great!

are you stepping forward to chair the event (ably assisted by a team of delegates i am sure...) or is that a decision yet to be determined ?

just for planning purposes (i looked on the PCA National site and found nithing...) when is Parade ? we MAY be able to attend one event out there, but two could be iffy...

ArtechnikA will, of course, support the event as a minor sponsor if asked ...
neo914-6
Craig,

What are the track fees? laugh.gif

Seriously, will there be any type of track participation?

Thanks for assuming the responsibility, I had a feeling you would...
lagunero
smilie_pokal.gif way to go Craig! I knew you'd come through!
xitspd
I will support the event with $ and products again as well. Will we be able to get some track time?

Thanks, Dan
McMark
You'll find a lot of helpers here. But three words, delegate, delegate, delegate. wink.gif Tell us what you need done and people will jump all over it.
J P Stein
The only way to get track time would be to rent the track the Monday following the Historics. The expense would be considerable. The last number I heard was 6K.....but I can look into it. The Historics has "parade laps" but I don't think that's what you had in mind biggrin.gif
Allan
boldblue.gif Road trip!!!! This is gonna be fun. Get to see both blood and 914 kin folk.
lagunero
QUOTE (Headrage @ Apr 30 2005, 09:27 AM)
boldblue.gif Road trip!!!! This is gonna be fun. Get to see both blood and 914 kin folk.

It will take 2 weeks to get there if Joe is driving his Neverland drunk.gif
boxstr
This is a little premature, before we start telling everyone we can or cannot get track time. We need to look a little further into our options. JP has stepped up to take that lead and when we have more information it will be posted on the site.

The Portland Historics "will" have an autocross course set up. i will be attending this years races so I can observe first hand the setup and I am sure that alot of the 914 owners in the PNW will also be there to help critique the course.
CCLINWCCPNW2006
anthony
The last number I heard was 6K.....but I can look into it.

Seems cheap. That's only $80/head for 75 participants.

bondo
Sweet, thanks Craig! More than a year to prepare.. aweseome! Now I can reset my countdown clock! smile.gif

432 days left!
ThinAir
QUOTE (anthony @ Apr 30 2005, 09:56 AM)

If that figure turns out to be in the ballpark, I'd sure go for track time on Monday.

I'm so excited about this event that I can hardly wait. The only thing bad about it is that because it's the same weekend as the Sisters, OR outdoor quilt show it means that instead of driving my teener to Oregon, I'll be towing it behind our VW Eurovan Camper. I think I can handle it!
EdwardBlume
Where is Portland? biggrin.gif
jonwatts
That's only 14 months away! I better get working on the car!

J P Stein
QUOTE (anthony @ Apr 30 2005, 08:56 AM)

It's really a pretty gud deal.
The track supplies workers, EM, insurance (we think...my contact says).....subject to availability of the site, of course.
If guys really want the track, there will have to be a committment in advance. Not enuff bodies in advance, no track.

The AX equiptment is OK....been doing some phone calling.
Their AX is a charity event. 5 bucks a run, but we may be able to bundle runs into a package price for the WWC contingent.
Having said all this, there are some issues. I wouldn't have anyone in the group run that clusterfuck they had last year.
It was short and unsafe.....I came slithering around a sweeper to find some guy driving parallel to me bout 10 feet away w00t.gif I gots some work to do here.
bondo
QUOTE (Rob Ways @ Apr 30 2005, 10:10 AM)
Where is Portland? biggrin.gif

Right here:

bondo
Just kidding, the one we're talking about is here: smile.gif

rhodyguy
jp, did you ever check out, run on, that other (new,newer) track that was south of the portland area? you post regarding it last year.

k
Gustl
QUOTE (Rob Ways @ Apr 30 2005, 06:10 PM)
Where is Portland?   biggrin.gif

you may find this funny, but I really have no idea where it is blink.gif

so, could anybody point it out on a map idea.gif
I do know some of the big West Coast locations like San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego ...
Gustl
oooops ... sorry, just saw bondo's help pray.gif
boxstr
Wolfgang, think of it like this, Portland is above the rest, when you look at it on the map.
Gustl
QUOTE (boxstr @ Apr 30 2005, 06:27 PM)
Wolfgang, think of it like this, Portland is above the rest, when you look at it on the map.

nah ... in this case I'd find Anchorage biggrin.gif
xitspd

agree.gif I like to watch AX, but I like to drive on a RT......
J P Stein
QUOTE (xitspd @ Apr 30 2005, 09:34 AM)

Lotta track guys are like that.......it looks easy....right untill they get their time slips laugh.gif

I've done one track day. My initial reaction was "Damn, look at all this room!" 3 laps and I had PIR wired.....cones at the apex's helped... Weren't even pointer cones, but I figured it out biggrin.gif
grasshopper
Portland would be awsome! my dad goes there on business all the time, but i've never been there.
xitspd
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Apr 30 2005, 09:46 AM)
QUOTE (xitspd @ Apr 30 2005, 09:34 AM)

Lotta track guys are like that.......it looks easy....right untill they get their time slips laugh.gif

I've done one track day. My initial reaction was "Damn, look at all this room!" 3 laps and I had PIR wired.....cones at the apex's helped... Weren't even pointer cones, but I figured it out biggrin.gif

It was not my intention to demean AX. I have only done one AX event and that was many years ago. My results were at best mediocre. I have raced at PIR many times and I still have a lot to learn about the track in the heat of door to door competition.
J P Stein
QUOTE (xitspd @ Apr 30 2005, 10:09 AM)

It was not my intention to demean AX. I have only done one AX event and that was many years ago. My results were at best mediocre. I have raced at PIR many times and I still have a lot to learn about the track in the heat of door to door competition.

I figured that, but I thought I'd give you a hard time anyway biggrin.gif
I'm too old & broke to ever take a serious run at track racing.
DEs are like masturbation.....fun but not the real thing biggrin.gif
I compete at AX because I can.
drgchapman
Craig, since I was the first to open my mouth to volunteer, sort of, about setting up a Portland meet, I'll volunteer to help, alot. I was waiting to see what dumbass would step up to the plate. Thanks. I'll be a dumbass and help as well.
SLITS
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Apr 30 2005, 11:20 AM)

Now at least we know why your damn near blind huh.gif

At this year's "WCC05 DE", we may not have been able to pass at will, but sure could run nose to tail for repeated laps....( smilie_pokal.gif Thanks Sean...that was really enjoyable )
neo914-6
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Apr 30 2005, 08:11 AM)
The only way to get track time would be to rent the track the Monday following the Historics. The expense would be considerable. The last number I heard was 6K.....but I can look into it. The Historics has "parade laps" but I don't think that's what you had in mind biggrin.gif

JP,

Actually I would prefer the parade for my concept show car. If I brought the V8 the track would be cool. The problem for people with track cars is hauling all the tools and spares.

If you add the track event on a Monday, I'd suggest you separate the fee(s). I know you want to encourage everyone to stay for the full duration but you may discourage some participants.
J P Stein
QUOTE (SLITS @ Apr 30 2005, 10:26 AM)

At this year's "WCC05 DE", we may not have been able to pass at will, but sure could run nose to tail for repeated laps....( smilie_pokal.gif Thanks Sean...that was really enjoyable )

You were runnin nose to tail with Aaron? I'm glad no one got a pic of that biggrin.gif

I *can* see time trails, but DE? Too many folks not looking in their mirrors, not waving by, doing stupid shit...just like on the freeway. AX is a much better way to learn to control your car.
I know lots of guys that I respect who love DE, it's just not for me.....nor is my car set up for it, tho I still have my track tires.

Yoei66
Cool!

Since I'm a local I'd be happy to volunteer some of my time for this event. beer.gif
SLITS
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Apr 30 2005, 11:46 AM)
QUOTE (SLITS @ Apr 30 2005, 10:26 AM)

You were runnin nose to tail with Aaron? I'm glad no one got a pic of that biggrin.gif

I *can* see time trails, but DE? Too many folks not looking in their mirrors, not waving by, doing stupid shit...just like on the freeway. AX is a much better way to learn to control your car.
I know lots of guys that I respect who love DE, it's just not for me.....nor is my car set up for it, tho I still have my track tires.

JP....At this event, "newbies" were put with instructors, first on a skid pad, then on the track. The idea was to teach them limits of their cars on the pad. The track sessions showed them the racing line....At all times, it was pounded into their heads.."Stay on the line and WATCH your mirrors." There were two passing areas designated and they were told that if a faster car was approaching ('cause they watched their mirrors), to lift, signal the side to pass and let them pass. No one was turned loose until the instructor was satisfied that they fully understood. Yeh, I was an instructor.

The only two infractions I saw were not from the "newbie" groups, but from the purported "real racer" group. Two of them would signal for a left pass on the straight and then pull to the left blocking the pass.

For the remainder of the participants, who understood and followed the "rules", I can only give many KUDOs for a very safe job well done.

EDIT: I almost forgot...The Track workers were awesome and contributed greatly to the safety also.
bondo
Will there be an official hotel and group rate? smile.gif I was really pleased with the Hampton Inn, is there one of those up there?

(I'm not trying to be pushy, but with all the people saying "book early" I'd like to do so, and I would like to be at the place most others are staying.)
Gint
Kudos to volunteers for steppin up in Portland! I'm in and hope to have my 914 ready and DRIVE it out there. Over a year to go, it should be do-able.
xitspd
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Apr 30 2005, 10:20 AM)
QUOTE (xitspd @ Apr 30 2005, 10:09 AM)

It was not my intention to demean AX.  I have only done one AX event and that was many years ago.  My results were at best mediocre.  I have raced at PIR many times and I still have a lot to learn about the track in the heat of door to door competition.

I figured that, but I thought I'd give you a hard time anyway biggrin.gif
I'm too old & broke to ever take a serious run at track racing.
I compete at AX because I can.

ohmy.gif I am getting old too! AX or Track, I look forward to running with you and beerchug.gif with you in Portland....
Trekkor
JP, I'd love to see an A/X on Sat or Sun, open day to watch the historics and the track day on Monday.

That would be amazing and would give all attendees some options.

I have a nice a/x course you might like to see.
Randal has many.

KT
dan10101
agree.gif

Yes, we got it bad... more track time!! driving.gif
mpjedi23
I think the idea of a split registration would be a very good idea. I did nt make it to 05 because my friend and i did not have the funds to pay the full registration. Guess we could have just showed up!?! driving.gif
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE (lagunero @ Apr 30 2005, 09:31 AM)
boldblue.gif Road trip!!!!  This is gonna be fun.  Get to see both blood and 914 kin folk.

If Joe drives Neverland up, who cares how long it takes. beer3.gif I'll be right begind him running interference. driving.gif
Cheers, Elliot
pete-stevers
ya hoo for WCC 06 smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
nice and close to home!!
5-6hour drive biggrin.gif
Howard
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Apr 30 2005, 01:29 PM)
boldblue.gif Road trip!!!!  This is gonna be fun.  Get to see both blood and 914 kin folk.

If Joe drives Neverland up, who cares how long it takes. beer3.gif I'll be right begind him running interference. driving.gif
Cheers, Elliot

Memo to Elliot (call sign Loose) Cannon. You should be just about at retirement then. How many teeners can we fit in that UPS pos you fly? It's not like they'll fire you beerchug.gif
airsix
Very excited. Definitely plan to be there. This will be great.
-Ben M.
VegasRacer
I hope the bulk of the holiday travelers decide to celebrate the 4th of July the weekend before. I will do everything in my power to get off work so I don't miss this sure to be great event.

As GWN7 said in another thread - it was the planned meals and parking lot free time to BS and look at cars, that balanced the other activities, and made the WCC05 a success. That is not to say that 'I really hope we can get some track time'.
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE (Howard @ Apr 30 2005, 01:36 PM)

Cheers, Elliot

Memo to Elliot (call sign Loose) Cannon. You should be just about at retirement then. How many teeners can we fit in that UPS pos you fly? It's not like they'll fire you beerchug.gif

I would love to do something memorable for my last flight but check this out. We had a 767 captain on his last flight do a high speed pass over the runway in Anchorage (300 knots), 60 degree bank turn for the over-head break. UPS fired the co-pilot and the international relief officer. Word was they tried to take the captains retirement but couldn't. Nice huh? I've threatened to fly my last trip NAKED! That should be good for a few laughs.
Cheers, Elliot
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Apr 30 2005, 03:29 PM)
QUOTE (Howard @ Apr 30 2005, 01:36 PM)

Cheers, Elliot

I would love to do something memorable for my last flight but check this out. We had a 767 captain on his last flight do a high speed pass over the runway in Anchorage (300 knots), 60 degree bank turn for the over-head break. UPS fired the co-pilot and the international relief officer. Word was they tried to take the captains retirement but couldn't. Nice huh? I've threatened to fly my last trip NAKED! That should be good for a few laughs.
Cheers, Elliot

That would be really "interesting" for the other crew members. And If I were the relief pilot, I would bring some lysol for the seat. biggrin.gif
boxstr
A full out track day on Monday would be good. Although those of you who have traveled a long distance, are going to have to drive that long distance again. The PNW guys can tell you all about this.
I agree the split registration for the Monday track is a very good way to see if we are goin gto be able to make it work or not.
The Portland Histroics autocross should be run on all three days. It should give you plenty of time to get the fix that you need.

One of the things that I kept hearing at this years event was the fact that people could stop and talk and look at the people and the cars. Something that was lacking in the first WCC. I know that the 2006 event will continue this because there are alot of people how haven' attended one of these, that will be joining us from up north.
CCLINWCCPNW2006
dekman
One request: if I have to drive ...14 hours to Portland...could I please have some time on a "real "local race track!(don't care which one). Don't need to be timed ....just enjoy driving the 914 on the "big wide fast track". Please.............................................. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.