Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '73 2.0, a yellow storage unit find
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
914_7T3
QUOTE(arne @ Jun 23 2017, 02:29 PM) *

Got it! It runs again!

When dropping the engine, I must have bumped the new steel fuel lines, pushing the supply line forward a bit, which kinked the hose. I went ahead and put a longer hose with a loop in it to prevent this in the future.

Now I appear to be back where I was prior to the engine drop, except without the oil leaks!

Looks like you have caught up. Running, driving driving.gif and no oil leaks! Congrats!

piratenanner.gif
arne
QUOTE(Calvinator2016 @ Jun 23 2017, 03:20 PM) *

Got it! It runs again!

When dropping the engine, I must have bumped the new steel fuel lines, pushing the supply line forward a bit, which kinked the hose. I went ahead and put a longer hose with a loop in it to prevent this in the future.

Now I appear to be back where I was prior to the engine drop, except without the oil leaks!

Looks like you have caught up. Running, driving driving.gif and no oil leaks! Congrats!

piratenanner.gif

Yours still looks better so far. I have a ways to go on that part.
euro911
Got it! It runs again!

mueba.gif
arne
Took it out for a short drive. It is running good, with a touch high idle speed. Clutch and transmission are nice. The old Koni reds are firm, but not harsh when paired with stock front bars and 100 lb. springs. Still rather smelly, the right heat exchanger is still burning itself clean even after all the degreasing I did on it. Brakes now feel good, but still a bit short of grab. But all in all, not too bad.
JRust
I've got the pedal board in my truck now Arne. I'll have it at work on Monday & will leave it in my office. that way you can swing by whenever is convenient. I found a complete set of new FI hose in my stash. Did you replace any hoses?
arne
Yeah, I've replaced all the fuel lines, don't need that. The only hoses that are not new are a few of the evap hoses.

Got any heat flappers? One of mine was "modified".

Shoot me a PM with the office address and I'll swing by Monday.
arne
Had the car out and about yesterday, a couple of trips. Running quite well, very pleased. The ride with those way-old Koni reds is quite firm, but not harsh. I think once I get things all tied down inside so that every bump doesn't rattle it will be less noticeable.

Still no oil leaks seen, so it is looking like I may have that issue handled.

In any case, drove it over to see JRust and pickup the pedal board he had for me (thanks again for that, Jamie), and then out to talk to a couple of painters. The first one (who I've used on before with my 240Z) has shifted his business model and doesn't want to take on any full repaints. Since I am a repeat customer, he didn't want to say no, but the ballpark price he quoted made it obvious he didn't want the job.

Talked with a second painter, looks promising, going to be checking out some customer references over the next couple of days. Will probably start pulling all the trim, lights and glass soon.

Lastly, it was obvious that the fuel sender or gauge was bad. No matter what the situation, it showed a half tank. Even after I siphoned it out for the fuel line work. Half full. I had a spare sender from my 911 on the shelf, which a quick part number check showed was interchangeable. Connecting it up made the gauge show empty with warning light on with the sender vertical, and went to Full if I turned the sender upside down. So the gauge is good. Swapped in the sender last night, gauge now shows 3/8 and is probably close to correct now, so one less thing on the car that doesn't work.
arne
Speaking of things that don't work, it's really a pretty short list.

Odometer - Fixed by scribing the shaft
Clock - Fixed with a new solder fuse
Temp gauge
Parking brake ratchet
Seat belts don't retract well
- Fixed with a good cleaning
Passenger exterior door handle - Replaced
Rear defroster

I thought I only had one working horn, since it sounds like a single tone, not high and low. But it turns out that both ARE working, but both are apparently the same, not one high and one low. Will probably want to correct that at some point.

I think that's it. All the lights, everything else I've checked seems to work.
Cevan
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 26 2017, 08:05 PM) *

Get 12mm copper plated exhaust nuts. They are easier to install than 13's.
You might also want to replace the ss soft brake lines with new rubber ones. SS don't last forever - the rubber inside can still collapse. It might help your brake issue.

I concur. Now is the time to replace those rear brake lines with the engine out.
euro911
QUOTE(arne @ Jun 27 2017, 09:14 AM) *

Odometer
Clock
Temp gauge
Parking brake ratchet
Seat belts don't retract well
Passenger exterior door handle
Rear defroster

I thought I only had one working horn, since it sounds like a single tone, not high and low. But it turns out that both ARE working, but both are apparently the same, not one high and one low. Will probably want to correct that at some point.

I think that's it. All the lights, everything else I've checked seems to work.
Non-working odometers and clocks - very common on a lot of German autos.

Here's a write-up I did on how to fix the ODO issue: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2500537

... and here's a thread on the 912BBS for the clock repair: http://www.912bbs.org/vb/showthread.php?38...ht=Clock+solder

Someone on this board did a write-up on the seat belt issue ... you'll have to do a search for it, unless someone remembers where to find it.
arne
Thanks, Mark. I have dealt with the odo issue on prior German cars. Hardest part is to get the bezel off without ruining it. I repaired a clock on one of my 240Zs in the past, figure this is probably similar. And I had already seen the seatbelt fix thread, will be doing that shortly.

Actually, the one that bothers me most is the parking brake handle. I've looked at that already, fear I'm going to need a replacement.
JRust
QUOTE(arne @ Jun 27 2017, 09:14 AM) *

Passenger exterior door handle
Rear defroster

I've got an extra passenger door handle. I also have 2 rear defrost windows if need be. For paint I used a guy in Junction city. He repainted my passenger side on my car after my snafu with hydroplaning into guard rail headbang.gif . My synergy green metallic I thought would be impossible to match. Guy absolutely nailed it. He does more molar restorations besides usual insurance work. He isn't cheap but does excellent work. I want to say a full repaint of a 914 he quoted me 10k. That is for an Excellent paint job. After having 2 different 5k paint jobs that sucked. Dbl that for a pristine one is damn cheap idea.gif
arne
I'll send you a PM on the handle, Jamie. Not sure yet if it's the handle or something disconnected/broken inside the door. Will know for sure in a few days.

The painter I'm talking with is well known around here in the British car community, but not much beyond that. There are many MGs, Morris Minors, early Minis and the like running around these parts that he has painted. The owners of those cars are universally happy with his work, and his prices are realistic.
euro911
Tim (timothy_nd28) is the gauge guru on this board ... you might ask him how he removes and re-crimps the bezels
arne
Disassembly has begun. This appears to be a recurring theme - I buy a car that doesn't run, then I make it drivable, then I take it apart, then I make it drive again, then I take it apart...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
arne
More...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
euro911
That's precisely why one needs two of them ... one to drive while restoring the other one dry.gif
arne
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 29 2017, 06:34 PM) *

That's precisely why one needs two of them ... one to drive while restoring the other one dry.gif
Well, I guess since I only have one 914, I'll have to console myself by driving the other P-car.

Click to view attachment
euro911
Nice. Just lifted my '66 up in the air this afternoon ... getting ready to send some calipers up to Eric for 'restoration' wink.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
arne
Dropped off both front and rear deck lids to be base/acid stripped. Handy that these guys are local. http://metaldipping.com

This will eliminate any rust in the crimped seam between the frame and skin. Highly recommended by body and paint people.

Also, have soaked both seat belts in a bucket of hot, soapy water, rinsed and let dry. They work amazingly well now. Very happy with this.
arne
Disassembly and paint prep continues. Aiming for mid-week to get into paint shop. Can't work on it tomorrow because we'll be in the 911 on a PCA drive. More work on Sunday, though, and the windshield should come out on Monday.

Both lids back from the stripper. Impressive! No filler found in either lid. Had the heater parts stripped too, way easier than me cleaning all the built up oil crud off of them.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
arne
Front lid.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Nice lids for sure.
arne
Pulled the final bits out yesterday, then had the windshield removed today. Good news there, no new rust found under the glass. Goes to the painter tomorrow morning.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
euro911
Nice. You're making a lot better progress than me thumb3d.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(arne @ Jul 10 2017, 05:02 PM) *

Pulled the final bits out yesterday, then had the windshield removed today. Good news there, no new rust found under the glass. Goes to the painter tomorrow morning.

Looks like you are going to drive it there. driving.gif
arne
QUOTE(Calvinator2016 @ Jul 10 2017, 06:30 PM) *
Indeed. The tail lights are now held in place with just a single nut, and the license plate a single bolt. I will drive it there and remove those bits, the shop will have a very bare canvas to work on.

I'm pleased that I haven't found much other rust to deal with, just a little in the front trunk seal channel. Add to that the fact that the car is VERY straight, so perhaps this will go fairly quickly.
914_7T3
QUOTE(arne @ Jul 10 2017, 06:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Calvinator2016 @ Jul 10 2017, 06:30 PM) *
Indeed. The tail lights are now held in place with just a single nut, and the license plate a single bolt. I will drive it there and remove those bits, the shop will have a very bare canvas to work on.

I'm pleased that I haven't found much other rust to deal with, just a little in the front trunk seal channel. Add to that the fact that the car is VERY straight, so perhaps this will go fairly quickly.

The progress you are making on this car in such a short time is remarkable. This is going to be a great car for the lucky person to acquire it once you have completed the restoration.
arne
Agreed on both counts. It is progressing much faster than I planned/expected, and it is shaping up to be a nice example. Not pristine or show quality, but a really great weekend driver.
arne
Dropped it off with the painter today. Initial discussion went well. Side marker wart holes will be welded up, everything else fairly standard. I will be checking back with him later this week.

In the mean time, I've got a lot of parts to clean, and a whole pile of new rubber and such to order. "Hello, 914rubber.com?"
arne
I've been on the road for a few days, but some stuff was done before I left. In general, I'm going through the piles of removed parts, sorting, cleaning, refurbishing and then setting them aside for later. I've repaired the clock (running fast for now, slowly backing off the adjustment), had the rip in the driver's seat repaired, and spiffed up the headlight mechanisms and the engine lid grill. Will be working on the tail light housings next. Also have begun ordering the parts I will need for reassembly. SMC has a nice sale on the windshield trim parts now, so that is already ordered. Will be placing a good sized order with 914rubber.com in a few days, as soon as I finish compiling the list of needed parts.

Not many pictures of the stuff. A before-after of the seat repair, and a boring picture of the clock ticking away.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
arne
No surprises so far...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
arne
More progress. Should be back in my garage in a few days.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
Outstanding!!!

shades.gif
JRust
Nice! Looking good Arne
Ed_Turbo
QUOTE(arne @ May 6 2017, 11:57 AM) *

Drove it to the local PCA monthly coffee gathering today. (For any of you near Eugene, 1st Saturday of each month, 10:00 at Market of Choice at 29th & Willamette. Park way at the north end in back.)

Click to view attachment

Admitting that it still has some needs, especially in the suspension, I can see that these cars are a riot to drive, even with just a stock 2.0. This is getting fun.

Click to view attachment

Tell Aunt Tuty to move that friggin Corolla out of there man chair.gif
arne
Finalized a good sized order with Scott at 914rubber. Much new stuff. Rubber, carpet, vinyl, etc.

Reassembly will be slower than progress so far, both due to the need to be careful and do it right, and also because I will be on the road for a few days in the middle of the month at Werks in Monterrey.
rgolia
love that color....just a little biased of course beer3.gif
arne
QUOTE(rgolia @ Aug 1 2017, 03:02 PM) *

love that color....just a little biased of course beer3.gif
It IS a great color. While many of the '70s colors are cool, this is one one my favorites. It is going to attract a LOT of attention.
euro911
... and a lot of little flying bugs poke.gif
arne
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 1 2017, 04:12 PM) *

... and a lot of little flying bugs poke.gif
Oh yes, I'm building it to be a driver, not a show car. It will be a great bug killer.

Speaking of, the painter used tinted sealer before paint, rather than white. The sealer coat is yellow too, so rock chips aren't going to be as obvious.
arne
Also have noted I still have a small oil drop from the taco plate, so I ordered a billet replacement from Boatyard Buses (Jonesy) in the UK. Will dump the oil and install it sometime prior to getting the car assembled.

Click to view attachment
porschetub
Going really well ,you are going fast,nice solid car well done, beer.gif .
euro911
QUOTE(arne @ Aug 1 2017, 05:07 PM) *
Also have noted I still have a small oil drop from the taco plate, so I ordered a billet replacement from Boatyard Buses (Jonesy) in the UK. Will dump the oil and install it sometime prior to getting the car assembled.

Click to view attachment
Racer Chris and I sponsored a group buy from Neil (Tuna Cans and Taco Plates) back in 2013 (my how time flies). Summit Racing sells the correct (shorter) VDO temperature sensor for that taco plate for about $20. ... I'll see if I can dig up the part # for ya ...
arne
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 1 2017, 08:03 PM) *
Racer Chris and I sponsored a group buy from Neil (Tuna Cans and Taco Plates) back in 2013 (my how time flies). Summit Racing sells the correct (shorter) VDO temperature sensor for that taco plate for about $20. ... I'll see if I can dig up the part # for ya ...
Please do, Mark. My current sensor is suspect anyway, a correct replacement would be great.
euro911
Looks like the price has gone up a little in the past 4 years.

VDO # 323-055

IPB Image

Looks like Amazon might have the best price at the moment ... https://www.amazon.com/VDO-323-055D-323055-...r/dp/B00029XDSU
arne
Out of the booth...

Click to view attachment
arne
And a big box from 914rubber arrived today. Carpet, seals, other misc. stuff. Assembly set to begin soon.
euro911
Your car looks great already aktion035.gif

Wished I could afford a nice new paint job dry.gif
arne
Brought it home from the paint shop today. Haven't had time to really inspect it closely yet, but what I've seen so far is really good. Very pleased.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.