Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '73 2.0, a yellow storage unit find
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
arne
Reassembly has begun. Will have some time to work on it tomorrow, but perhaps not a lot the rest of the week. Then leaving in the 911 for Werks in Monterrey middle of next week. So progress will slow down some shortly.

Click to view attachment
arne
All the lights except the license plate lights in back are on and tested. Horns are back as well. Rear deck lid seals are on, and I spent a fair amount of time today repainting the black on the deck lid and then refitting the refreshed engine grill.

Hoping to have time to start on the door latch hardware tomorrow, but I may have to shuttle a friend down to pick up his just completed 911T targa. If so, may not get very far on mine tomorrow.

Pics...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Very nice and just exciting to see another one going back together. smilie_pokal.gif
arne
Starting to look like a functional 914 again. Still a long ways to go, though. I've been stalling on a couple of jobs, tackling the easy stuff first. But soon I will need to reinstall the rear glass and glue down the sail vinyl. Luckily, there are good how-to threads on both jobs.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
euro911
Read up on how to lower the front suspension shades.gif
arne
Looks worse in the wide angle photos than it is, but yes, it does need to come down about a 1/2" in front. It's on my to-do list.
arne
QUOTE(arne @ Jun 27 2017, 09:14 AM) *

Speaking of things that don't work, it's really a pretty short list.

Odometer - Fixed by scribing the shaft
Clock - Fixed with a new solder fuse
Temp gauge
Parking brake ratchet
Seat belts don't retract well - Fixed with a good cleaning
Passenger exterior door handle - Replaced
Rear defroster

I thought I only had one working horn, since it sounds like a single tone, not high and low. But it turns out that both ARE working, but both are apparently the same, not one high and one low. Will probably want to correct that at some point.

I think that's it. All the lights, everything else I've checked seems to work.

As seen here, I've been working through the list as I assemble things. Today I repaired the odometer, although I haven't completely reassembled the speedo yet as I'm waiting for fresh paint on the bezel to dry.
arne
Easing back into things now that I'm back home from Werks, and got the home stuff caught up.

Both front and rear valances have been refinished and installed, the front main trunk seal glued in, got the gauge cluster reassembled and ready to go back in. Have been gathering more parts, I may be getting close to done there.

Prepping to repair the rear defroster grid while the glass is still out of the car, then reinstall it. Sail panel vinyl sometime next week, I hope.

Dash will get some love too. New top pad is ready, but will need to glue on new basketweave vinyl while the pad is off. Then a new windshield, at which point I can begin putting the bulk of the interior back together.

I'm guessing completion around the end of October. Then driving.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
euro911
Looks like you're making great progress biggrin.gif
arne
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 25 2017, 06:02 PM) *

Looks like you're making great progress biggrin.gif

Yeah, I'm pleased with how it is going so far. Working on de-rusting the lug bolts today, and the defroster grid repair.

Have determined the windshield washer leaks pressure (no fluid currently) at the column switch. Probably hose fatigue just like I found at every fitting so far.
arne
Rear window is back in the car. The defroster grid repair epoxy that I'd had for some years was old, apparently beyond its shelf life, so a few of the repair spots didn't stick. Will have to deal with that later.

Lug bolts are now presentable, not rusty.

Dash top has been removed now, but I need to drop the steering column to replace the face basket weave vinyl before putting the new dash top in.

Got a friend coming over tomorrow to help with the first of the sail vinyl install.

New windshield should go in next week, or the following week for sure.
Eric_Shea
Arne, you kicked this one in the ass. Great job.
euro911
Finding a good, working defrost glass is like finding hen's teeth. Whatever type of conductor they used just didn't hold up over time. I've had two of them and the 'opens' in them were too numerous to attempt repair - if it was even possible confused24.gif

I just carry a rag behind the seat cool_shades.gif
arne
Took a bit more of the dash apart today, to prepare for new basket weave. Still need to drop the column and pull the heater controls. Then I can glue, and finally start putting that all back together.

Then this afternoon, with help of one of my 911 owning friends, I got all the sail vinyl on. piratenanner.gif That black vinyl against the yellow paint looks the business!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 11 2017, 06:06 PM) *

Read up on how to lower the front suspension* shades.gif

*But not before you put all of the trim and fixins' back on.

My car self-lowered quite a bit after reassembly. I think we weighed it before paint and it was ~1590 pounds as something you could still drive down the street. unsure.gif

Car is really looking great. Wow. And love love love the plate!
horizontally-opposed
[quote name='horizontally-opposed' date='Aug 29 2017, 08:09 PM' post='2522237']
[quote name='euro911' post='2516052' date='Aug 11 2017, 06:06 PM']
[/quote]

My car self-lowered quite a bit after reassembly. I think we weighed it before paint and it was ~1590 pounds as something you could still drive down the street. unsure.gif

Car is really looking great. Wow. And love love love the plate! With the right tires and ride height, this car will be a stunner. Already is…
JRust
Looking kick ass Arne! Nice job. I can't wait to see it in person all finished
euro911
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 29 2017, 08:09 PM) *
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 11 2017, 06:06 PM) *

My car self-lowered quite a bit after reassembly. I think we weighed it before paint and it was ~1590 pounds as something you could still drive down the street. unsure.gif ...
Paint, bling and gizmos added 500 pounds?
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 29 2017, 09:19 PM) *

Paint, bling and gizmos added 500 pounds?

More like 300-400. I'd need to go back and see if I can find those scale readings, but 1591 on good race scales sticks with me. Car was STRIPPED out but for suspension, engine, transmission, dash, and one seat. No glass, no top, no interior, no door guts, no bumpers, no lights, etc. Even so, I remember being shocked by the number.
horizontally-opposed
Ok, finding that wasn't as hard as I thought:

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 14 2008, 04:50 PM) *

Finally, just for fun, we decided to weigh the car as is, with all mechanicals (it's a running, driving car but for its lack of a 15-pound driver's seat), both windshields, steel wheels, tar over most of the floors, the engine sound pad, the headlight assemblies less the lights themselves, and about a half tank of gas. Engine lid and headlight bits were in the back trunk.

To my surprise, it came out at 1,591 pounds.

My guess is that, with a light battery, alloy wheels, FG decklids and bumpers, Perlon carpeting, Plexi side windows on 356 GT/911R style strap adjusters but with seats, a top, all rubber seals, lights, and steel sides (fenders and doors), you might be able to build a streetable 914 in the 1650-1750-lb range.

Very tempting, but not what my car is.

pete

What surprises me now is it still had its windshield and back window in. I can't remember if we pulled the windshield before we weighed it, but I left the back window in place for paint.

Thread is here. Hard to believe that was nearly ten years ago... unsure.gif
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...0724&st=120
horizontally-opposed
And you can watch it self lower as parts go back on...

Zero suspension changes in this time. I'd say it dropped 1.0 inch to 1.5 inches as it was reassembled.
horizontally-opposed
arne
Never occurred to me to find a scale and weigh mine while I had it stripped for paint. Mine was also drivable, barely, but I pulled the windshield and rear glass too. Still have no interior in it now, but I can see that it has come down some as I put more parts back on.

QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 29 2017, 08:27 PM) *

Looking kick ass Arne! Nice job. I can't wait to see it in person all finished

Target is late October, at this point. Maybe sooner if all continue to go well. Will make sure to contact you, Morgan and Maren once it is done.

A little more work finishing the targa sail trim today. Very pleased with how this is turning out. It will have its flaws if you look for them, but they won't be terribly obvious for the most part. It is turning out to be a really great looking driver quality car.
arne
Installed new dash face vinyl, dash top from 914rubber.com, reinstalled all gauges after testing each warning and instrument bulb. It's all back in, it all works, and with the new basket weave vinyl and dash top pad, it looks REALLY good.

Click to view attachment

I have a few non-914 things to do over the long weekend, but next items will be to recover and reinstall the glovebox, the recover the radio plate and install the radio. Will try to get the new windshield installed soon.
horizontally-opposed
Looks GREAT!!!

Kind of a strange request, but if you get a chance, can you take some close-ups of the dash pad and its material as seen in differing light cast across its skin? Been wondering how "correct" the pattern is, as my dash pad is gonna need to be replaced at some point.

No hurry at all.
arne
Will get the Nikon out tomorrow instead of the phone and take some shots of both new and original. Will be easier to shoot while the windshield is still out.
arne
Pete, give these a look. The camera is immaterial, to try to image this is all about light and reflections. Here's my best efforts. I tried to take shots from similar spots and angles on the two pads, as close as the lighting would allow..

FWIW, the grain is VERY close, perhaps indistinguishable to my eye.

Original Dash

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

New dash from 914rubber

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 1 2017, 08:31 PM) *

Looks GREAT!!!

Kind of a strange request, but if you get a chance, can you take some close-ups of the dash pad and its material as seen in differing light cast across its skin? Been wondering how "correct" the pattern is, as my dash pad is gonna need to be replaced at some point.

No hurry at all.

Pete, the 914rubber dash was molded from my NOS straight-out-of-the-box dash. The grain is exact.
arne
Today's work - glovebox and radio.

Actually started the car today, because it had been a while. I didn't want to energize everything while the gauges were all missing, but now that the main dash is all back together...

And if you look closely at these pictures, sharp eyes may notice a deviation from stock...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
euro911
Continuous run of vinyl from the steering column to the glove box?
arne
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 2 2017, 06:45 PM) *

Continuous run of vinyl from the steering column to the glove box?

No, the radio vinyl is separate, as normal, although I did try to cut to match the pattern closely. It does look continuous unless you look closely.

But that's not what I was thinking of.
JRust
I got it! No windshield wipers happy11.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(arne @ Sep 2 2017, 02:17 PM) *

Pete, give these a look. The camera is immaterial, to try to image this is all about light and reflections. Here's my best efforts. I tried to take shots from similar spots and angles on the two pads, as close as the lighting would allow..

FWIW, the grain is VERY close, perhaps indistinguishable to my eye.

Original Dash

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

New dash from 914rubber

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Hey, thanks for these, Arne!

Looks very close, indeed. Looks like they did a good job on this dash pad...
arne
QUOTE(arne @ Sep 2 2017, 06:02 PM) *
And if you look closely at these pictures, sharp eyes may notice a deviation from stock...

Here's a hint. Something is missing, and it was probably only there on certain years, not all cars.
horizontally-opposed
Seatbelt light delete. I dig. Always felt it was a bit VW 412.
iankarr
agree.gif

did that on my 73. looks great!
Mikey914
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Sep 2 2017, 04:14 PM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 1 2017, 08:31 PM) *

Looks GREAT!!!

No hurry at all.

Pete, the 914rubber dash was molded from my NOS straight-out-of-the-box dash. The grain is exact.

Yes, A big thanks to Ken. I could not have made this part without him. At least not as exact. It literally is an EXACT copy of the NOS dash.

I will send you a new roll bar pad when done.

Mark
arne
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 2 2017, 09:46 PM) *

QUOTE(cuddyk @ Sep 2 2017, 09:58 PM) *

agree.gif

Yup. I looked at that when I took it out and thought, "Now why would I want to put that back in?"
euro911
thumb3d.gif
arne
Picking away at tasks this weekend, as I try to stay cool and out of the smoke. Door seals (inner and outer), floor vinyl, starting with carpet, new speakers in the new speaker pods, and taking a stab at fixing the slipping grip on the steering wheel. All good so far, although the verdict on the steering wheel won't be in until tomorrow.

Not much to show in pictures yet, just the speakers.

IPB Image
ConeDodger
QUOTE(arne @ Sep 3 2017, 02:25 AM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 2 2017, 09:46 PM) *

QUOTE(cuddyk @ Sep 2 2017, 09:58 PM) *

agree.gif

Yup. I looked at that when I took it out and thought, "Now why would I want to put that back in?"

Send it to me. I want to make an "ejection seat" light! This one no longer functions with the DME.

arne
Let me think on that, Rob. My thought was to leave it in the glovebox in case the next owner might be so silly as to want it.
arne
I have an appointment tomorrow for the new windshield. So I've been making sure that it's ready to drive, and that everything works. Put some gas in it yesterday. Here in Oregon, we still have gas pump jockeys (no self serve to speak of), and the car has not failed to baffle the young kids manning the pumps. Yesterday one asked me if it was a kit car I was building. confused24.gif

I've got most of the interior together now. Waiting to put on the inside windshield trim until the glass is in place, of course. And I'm not going to put the backpad in until I figure out what to do about the interior light. (See Using a 911 dome light? )

Still need to get the glass into the doors, and then the door cards, then refinish and install the rocker covers. That should be it, appearance-wise.

Other bits will be getting all the heater ducting reinstalled, installing the billet taco plate, replacing the upper steering shaft bearing in the column, and anything I find wrong in the test driving phase. On track to wrap this up by the middle of October, I figure.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Turned out very nice. Does the lense on the 911 switch toggle on and off? I bought one, it didn't fit at all and i wasn't willing to cut on the backpad. A generic beetle switch sorta fits if you play with spring tabs.
ndfrigi
Congratulation Arne! One of the fastest restoration! Started March 2017 and before the end of this September, your car is already on twisty road of Oregon!
arne
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 7 2017, 04:09 PM) *

Turned out very nice. Does the lense on the 911 switch toggle on and off? I bought one, it didn't fit at all and i wasn't willing to cut on the backpad. A generic beetle switch sorta fits if you play with spring tabs.
I probably wouldn't consider cutting on my backpad if the light opening didn't already have issues. The vinyl has shrunk, exposing the fiber board. So if I open the opening and re-stretch the vinyl to fit the bigger light I also fix the appearance issue. The 911 light does toggle, the entire lens pivots from side to side.

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 7 2017, 04:18 PM) *

Congratulation Arne! One of the fastest restoration! Started March 2017 and before the end of this September, your car is already on twisty road of Oregon!
It has gone quickly, but I hesitate to call it a "restoration". More of a major refresh. And being retired, I have the luxury of being able to work on a project like this quite a bit during the week. Working on it 4 to 5 days per week goes a lot faster than people who only have weekends.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(arne @ Sep 7 2017, 05:01 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 7 2017, 04:09 PM) *

I probably wouldn't consider cutting on my backpad if the light opening didn't already have issues. The vinyl has shrunk, exposing the fiber board. So if I open the opening and re-stretch the vinyl to fit the bigger light I also fix the appearance issue. The 911 light does toggle, the entire lens pivots from side to side.

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 7 2017, 04:18 PM) *

It has gone quickly, but I hesitate to call it a "restoration". More of a major refresh. And being retired, I have the luxury of being able to work on a project like this quite a bit during the week. Working on it 4 to 5 days per week goes a lot faster than people who only have weekends.

About your back pad, you might consider just doing like this. Borrowed pic from online. several members did this already. Looks clean and space for small items at your rear seat.

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
QUOTE(arne @ Sep 7 2017, 03:41 PM) *

I have an appointment tomorrow for the new windshield. So I've been making sure that it's ready to drive, and that everything works. Put some gas in it yesterday. Here in Oregon, we still have gas pump jockeys (no self serve to speak of), and the car has not failed to baffle the young kids manning the pumps. Yesterday one asked me if it was a kit car I was building. confused24.gif

I've got most of the interior together now. Waiting to put on the inside windshield trim until the glass is in place, of course. And I'm not going to put the backpad in until I figure out what to do about the interior light. (See Using a 911 dome light? )

Still need to get the glass into the doors, and then the door cards, then refinish and install the rocker covers. That should be it, appearance-wise.

Other bits will be getting all the heater ducting reinstalled, installing the billet taco plate, replacing the upper steering shaft bearing in the column, and anything I find wrong in the test driving phase. On track to wrap this up by the middle of October, I figure.

Looking good Arne! The car is so clean, you should already have a few World Members lined up to buy it.
arne
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Sep 7 2017, 05:16 PM) *
Looking good Arne! The car is so clean, you should already have a few World Members lined up to buy it.

No, no one is lined up to buy it so far. But I suspect that it may not be clear to most of the World that I will be putting it up for sale as soon as I'm convinced it is ready. A few of you understand that, as we've chatted about it in person or on the phone.

But as you've gathered, for someone looking for a decent weekend driver, it should end up being a nice car. It will not be perfect, and I may leave a few simple things as minor projects for a new owner. But it will drive nice, and no one is likely to be embarrassed to be seen driving it. And judging from what I've experienced with it even not completed, it WILL attract a lot of attention. The yellow with black accents guarantee that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.