Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '73 2.0, a yellow storage unit find
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
914_7T3
QUOTE(arne @ Sep 28 2017, 10:06 PM) *

PPI found no new issues, all is as expected. Will resume finishing the loose ends tomorrow.

Not sure that you would have expected anything different after already dismantling and rebuilding the entire car.
arne
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Sep 29 2017, 03:30 PM) *
Not sure that you would have expected anything different after already dismantling and rebuilding the entire car.
No, I didn't expect much different. But I could have missed something, I'm far from perfect.

Wrapped the steering wheel today. Heater blower fan ETA is Monday. Will recheck valve adjustment early next week, and complete the detail stuff by end of the week.
914_7T3
QUOTE(arne @ Sep 29 2017, 04:29 PM) *

QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Sep 29 2017, 03:30 PM) *
No, I didn't expect much different. But I could have missed something, I'm far from perfect.

Wrapped the steering wheel today. Heater blower fan ETA is Monday. Will recheck valve adjustment early next week, and complete the detail stuff by end of the week.

smilie_pokal.gif

Congrats & GLWTS!
arne
And yesterday it died. Looking into this now, see http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=317230
arne
And now it lives again. Troubleshooting data in the thread linked above, but the short answer was "dirty trigger points".

Now, where was I? confused24.gif
arne
Once running again, I took advantage of having everything all apart to verify valve adjustment and timing. The car starts a lot quicker and smooths out faster now. No idea which of today’s work helped that.

Will do some final clean up and detailing over the next few days, also will put a few miles on it to make certain no new bugs turn up. I’ve been planning on recovering the center console, but the kits for that from 914rubber have been delayed. Not certain that kit will arrive in time. The pending buyer is planning on flying up to see and drive it in person, probably next week. Then there will likely be a short time before transport is arranged and the car collected. So even if the console kit doesn’t arrive for another week or so, I should still be able to get that done prior to handoff to the transporter.
914_7T3
QUOTE(arne @ Oct 2 2017, 07:42 PM) *

Once running again, I took advantage of having everything all apart to verify valve adjustment and timing. The car starts a lot quicker and smooths out faster now. No idea which of today’s work helped that.

Will do some final clean up and detailing over the next few days, also will put a few miles on it to make certain no new bugs turn up. I’ve been planning on recovering the center console, but the kits for that from 914rubber have been delayed. Not certain that kit will arrive in time. The pending buyer is planning on flying up to see and drive it in person, probably next week. Then there will likely be a short time before transport is arranged and the car collected. So even if the console kit doesn’t arrive for another week or so, I should still be able to get that done prior to handoff to the transporter.

If your car will indeed be going where I think its going, I have no doubt our cars will eventually meet-up for a canyon run one day. Pretty cool.

beerchug.gif

arne
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Oct 2 2017, 08:17 PM) *
If your car will indeed be going where I think its going, I have no doubt our cars will eventually meet-up for a canyon run one day. Pretty cool.

beerchug.gif

I suspect you are correct, Jeffery. I’m pretty sure you are restoring yours to a higher standard than I did for this car. But still, this yellow car looks really sharp, its few shortcomings are not obvious unless you get right up close and personal. For a normal walk-by, it really attracts attention. My goal was to build a fun driver that looks good enough that no need feel embarrassed to show up at a Porsche event or cars and coffee somewhere. I think I’ve got that part down.

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
QUOTE(arne @ Oct 2 2017, 08:33 PM) *

QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Oct 2 2017, 08:17 PM) *

beerchug.gif

I suspect you are correct, Jeffery. I’m pretty sure you are restoring yours to a higher standard than I did for this car. But still, this yellow car looks really sharp, its few shortcomings are not obvious unless you get right up close and personal. For a normal walk-by, it really attracts attention. My goal was to build a fun driver that looks good enough that no need feel embarrassed to show up at a Porsche event or cars and coffee somewhere. I think I’ve got that part down.

You certainly do! Ironic that we both got these cars around the same time. You are all all finished and I'm just getting started, but at at least had a couple thousand miles of fun!

driving.gif
arne
Almost there. The final few trim bits were shipped today, probably arriving tomorrow. Should be complete by Friday.

Drove on some errands today, and met Jamie (jrust) at work to let him look it over. Had a nice chat.

Here’s a few pictures from today.

Overall

Click to view attachment

Right side door gap

Click to view attachment

Down the side

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Whomever gets that car is going to get a great car. smilie_pokal.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 4 2017, 06:48 PM) *

Whomever gets that car is going to get a great car. smilie_pokal.gif

agree.gif
napasteve
Looks great Arne. Well done.
914_7T3
pray.gif
arne
QUOTE(arne @ Oct 4 2017, 03:33 PM) *

Almost there. The final few trim bits were shipped today, probably arriving tomorrow. Should be complete by Friday.

Well, maybe not by Friday. I now expect the remaining bits to arrive late Friday afternoon, or possibly Saturday. In either case, should be plenty of time to finish it before my probable buyer arrives for a look-see next Wednesday.
arne
Gathering all the included bits now.

Click to view attachment
arne
The only air-cooled at our monthly gathering today. It was very popular, however.

Click to view attachment
arne
On this day, 9 October 2017, I am declaring this project to be complete.

I'm satisfied.

Today's tasks that led to that declaration were installing the threshold plates with the correct plastic rivets, recovering the sides of the center console, and replacing the pair of rear transmission mounts with fresh 911 Clubsport mounts. Oh yeah, I changed the bulb in the rear trunk light. So that works now also.

Obviously, there are always more things that could be done, but for a driver-quality car I believe I have reached the point of diminishing returns.

Overall, I'm pleased with how it turned out. The car looks good, drives good, and everything works. It attracts attention and draws compliments everywhere I take it. It is a fun car to drive. What more can you ask?
914_7T3
QUOTE(arne @ Oct 9 2017, 03:11 PM) *

On this day, 9 October 2017, I am declaring this project to be completed.

I'm satisfied.

Today's tasks that led to that declaration were installing the threshold plates with the correct plastic rivets, recovering the sides of the center console, and replacing the pair of rear transmission mounts with fresh 911 Clubsport mounts. Oh yeah, I changed the bulb in the rear trunk light. So that works now also.

Obviously, there are always more things that could be done, but for a driver-quality car I believe I have reached the point of diminishing returns.

Overall, I'm pleased with how it turned out. The car looks good, drives good, and everything works. It attracts attention and draws compliments everywhere I take it. It is a fun car to drive. What more can you ask?

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Once on the subject of threshold plates, my car is a late '73 and wanted to know if mine should be black plastic or aluminum? They came with black plastic and I would like to put back the correct ones. Let me know and good luck on Wednesday.

Thanks
arne
My car is 6/73, threshold plates are black plastic.
Mikey914
I may be incorrect, but I thought 75 was the start of the plastic. One of the cost cutting measures that went into production as part of the model change.
arne
Nope, apparently the change was mid-year '73. PET shows part #914.551.419.11 as "cover strip, inner, plastic material, from 4732918919"
Jamie
My Feb. '73 has aluminum plates.
914_7T3
QUOTE(arne @ Oct 9 2017, 06:57 PM) *

Nope, apparently the change was mid-year '73. PET shows part #914.551.419.11 as "cover strip, inner, plastic material, from 4732918919"

Thanks that makes sense as my 05/73 Vin ends in 21258.
arne
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Oct 9 2017, 07:51 PM) *

And mine is 24138. Both well past the change.
jmitro
wow, great job, and a fast restoration.
I love the before and after pics! beerchug.gif
mbseto
That's a beautiful car!
turk22
QUOTE(arne @ Oct 9 2017, 11:04 PM) *

QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Oct 9 2017, 07:51 PM) *

And mine is 24138. Both well past the change.

and mine is 25935 (also 6/73) and it had black plastic sill plates. I replaced them with aluminum...

Click to view attachment
porschetub
Mine is 74 but according to our countries rego database is a 73....that's the way the clowns do it smile.gif .
Plastic trims but carpet strips missing when I bought it,have new set of both plastic ones to go on.
arne
And as of today, it is officially sold. Transport being arranged for next week.

Time to start looking in earnest for the next project!
arne
Time for some closing credits.

Thanks to the following 914world members (in no particular order) for their help, parts, advice, knowledge, moral support and general encouragement.

JRust
JB620
mepstein
euro911
914 7T3
mstein95
Mike Fitton
Garold Shaffer
914sixer

And the following vendors were instrumental in making this car complete.

914rubber.com
Pelican Parts
Tangerine Racing
Camp 914
Sierra Madre Collection
Boatyard Buses, UK
Stoddard

Click to view attachment
porschetub
Are you going to do another 914 ?....I think you should do a "6" conversion with your skills...just saying beer.gif .
arne
QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 12 2017, 03:17 PM) *

Are you going to do another 914 ?....I think you should do a "6" conversion with your skills...just saying beer.gif .

I might do another 914, depends on whether I find the right car. Whether I’d do a 6 conversion would also depend on the car. The one I just finished was too original to mess with. A different car might go a totally different direction.
914_7T3
QUOTE(arne @ Oct 12 2017, 03:29 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 12 2017, 03:17 PM) *

I might do another 914, depends on whether I find the right car. Whether I’d do a 6 conversion would also depend on the car. The one I just finished was too original to mess with. A different car might go a totally different direction.

Have you considered a Super Project! Bidding opens today.

poke.gif

Click to view attachment
arne
I don’t think so, Jeffrey. I’ve never been a big 356 fan, buy in price will likely be higher than I want to go, and the rust is too extensive for my comfort. Strike 3...
914_7T3
QUOTE(arne @ Oct 14 2017, 10:23 AM) *

I don’t think so, Jeffrey. I’ve never been a big 356 fan, buy in price will likely be higher than I want to go, and the rust is too extensive for my comfort. Strike 3...

That’s why it’s a “SUPER” Project!

Cool car though, even if it’s “SUPER” slow!
arne
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Oct 14 2017, 10:26 AM) *

QUOTE(arne @ Oct 14 2017, 10:23 AM) *

That’s why it’s a “SUPER” Project!

Perhaps. But for my recreation projects, I need to look at them a lot closer than I would if they were cars that I planned to keep because I wanted them. A car that I might keep for a few years at least gives me more flexibility to overlook some condition shortcomings, compared to a car that I want to sell when finished. The resale car needs to meet a higher standard, I can't afford to overlook something and get underwater.

Cool car though, even if it’s “SUPER” slow!

Not as slow as you might think. I've seen a couple of well driven 356s on spirited PCA drives up here, they keep up just fine for quasi-legal twisties.
euro911
Yeah, a big-bore motor will bring it to life. I have two 1720s here biggrin.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 14 2017, 12:59 PM) *

What don’t you have there? It’s better than Disneyland.

lol-2.gif
arne
One of my friends has a ‘67 912 with a 1720 in it. He also has a stock ‘66 912. The difference is impressive.
euro911
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Oct 14 2017, 01:33 PM) *

lol-2.gif
One is on an engine stand, ready to go into the '66 ... the other is currently unassembled biggrin.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 14 2017, 03:31 PM) *

lol-2.gif
One is on an engine stand, ready to go into the '66 ... the other is currently unassembled biggrin.gif

Since the 914 is going to a 2056, seems only fitting that my future ‘66 should have a 1720.

poke.gif
arne
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Oct 14 2017, 05:00 PM) *

lol-2.gif

Since the 914 is going to a 2056, seems only fitting that my future ‘66 should have a 1720.

poke.gif

If you are after a 912, the one with the big motor up here is for sale. Nice car. Danish delivery, so all euro bits - lights, gauges, etc. Silver over black.
914_7T3
QUOTE(arne @ Oct 14 2017, 05:11 PM) *

QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Oct 14 2017, 05:00 PM) *

lol-2.gif

poke.gif

If you are after a 912, the one with the big motor up here is for sale. Nice car. Danish delivery, so all euro bits - lights, gauges, etc. Silver over black.

Need to slow down after the 986 acquisition and 914 resto within 6 months.
sad.gif

By the time Euro911 finishes the car and if I can wear him down at some point in the future, maybe......just maybe.
beerchug.gif
arne
On its way to the new owner. Sitting above an Aston Martin DBS. Probably the most affordable car on the transport.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
arne
I’ve received word that the new owner now has possession. The torch has been passed successfully.
arne
Oops! Duplicate post!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.