Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine not turning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
markhoward
Anybody out there know if its fine to use an ultrasonic cleaner to loosen up the crud? Thought it might help to get things clean after lots of oil soaking. Don't think its a good idea to go very long with ultrasonic part on but the 125 degree dawn water should help loosen things.
jeffdon
QUOTE(markhoward @ Apr 4 2017, 03:44 PM) *

Anybody out there know if its fine to use an ultrasonic cleaner to loosen up the crud? Thought it might help to get things clean after lots of oil soaking. Don't think its a good idea to go very long with ultrasonic part on but the 125 degree dawn water should help loosen things.

Got an ultrasonic cleaner?
markhoward
sure do. used on my 911 engine build and several greasy things since.
jeffdon
QUOTE(markhoward @ Apr 4 2017, 03:58 PM) *

sure do. used on my 911 engine build and several greasy things since.

There is rust on the pistons that is caked on. Steel wool is taking it off with some elbow grease. I bet the Ultrasonic would take it off.
iankarr
Glad you got them all off!

I have a used set of 96mm pistons that I can give you. They would need some cleaning up and new rings. I also have 2 usable jugs. Pm me if you want em....
jeffdon
And now to get the frozen rings off..... headbang.gif
jeffdon
Gotta a question on re-assembling, and what will also need replacing. I am not splitting the case, but I did pull the flywheel.

Stuff I know will need replacing -
Cylinder shims (buggered them in teardown)
Flywheel lock plate.
CV joint gaskets
Scnorr washers for CV's
Rocker cover gaskets

Stuff I am wondering if it can be reused:
Main seal
O-ring on flywheel

I think my push rod tube seals will be fine.

Anything else I should be shopping for?
iankarr
Since you'll have everything apart, I'd be inclined to replace all seals. Cheap insurance. You can buy a kit that has everything.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Victor-...R039198009.html

Not that Im a fan of AA, but theirs was the easiest link to find. And the price isn't bad.

Hopefully the water / rust didn't make it down to the crank. Once you have the pistons out, you can look inside and see if you need to split the case. If all looks clean and you don't see any signs of rust or oil leaking around the main seals, you could probably leave those as is. But like I said, cheap peace of mind to replace now. Just my .02...

jeffdon
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Apr 5 2017, 09:14 AM) *

Since you'll have everything apart, I'd be inclined to replace all seals. Cheap insurance. You can buy a kit that has everything.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Victor-...R039198009.html

Not that Im a fan of AA, but theirs was the easiest link to find. And the price isn't bad.

Hopefully the water / rust didn't make it down to the crank. Once you have the pistons out, you can look inside and see if you need to split the case. If all looks clean and you don't see any signs of rust or oil leaking around the main seals, you could probably leave those as is. But like I said, cheap peace of mind to replace now. Just my .02...

Good point. Looks ok inside. Some gunk, but I think i will flush it out with a few cans of carb cleaner and call it good.
injunmort
you have the engine torn down that far and your going to reuse pushrod tube seals, crank seal and rear seal. renz gasket kit is about $.40.00, front and rearseal about $30.00. i would
seriously rethink that plan, fwiw. you know the old saying, "never the time or money to do it right, always the time to do it twice. jest sayin'
Mark Henry
QUOTE(injunmort @ Apr 5 2017, 08:32 PM) *

you have the engine torn down that far and your going to reuse pushrod tube seals, crank seal and rear seal. renz gasket kit is about $.40.00, front and rearseal about $30.00. i would
seriously rethink that plan, fwiw. you know the old saying, "never the time or money to do it right, always the time to do it twice. jest sayin'

The upside of not replacing the old seals is the rear end of your 914 will never rust. biggrin.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 5 2017, 06:38 PM) *

The upside of not replacing the old seals is the rear end of your 914 will never rust. biggrin.gif

av-943.gif
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 5 2017, 04:38 PM) *

QUOTE(injunmort @ Apr 5 2017, 08:32 PM) *

It also gives the bad oil a place to get out.
jeffdon
Yeah, all good thinking.
porschetub
So far current advise suggests a bit of work and that's up there,any other short cuts will leave you most unhappy,problem is that's after the engine is fired again for the first time ......
jeffdon
Ok...new seals all around.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.