Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The OFFICIAL Red Rocks Classic 2017 Post!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
SharonG
Another excellent Red Rocks Classic! Sorry to Okteenerfest that this event is the same as that one - I'd love to be at both. Looking forward to Star Trek-esque transporters to achieve that next year!

Hotel:
Our hotel room block is reserved under Porsche 914 group.
Best Western Antlers, 171 W 6th St, Glenwood Springs, CO 81601
Call (970) 945-8535 for reservations. If you want a fridge/microwave, request it when you reserve your room.
Single queen $130
Single king $140
Double queen $150
Beautiful location, walking distance to a lot of stuff including Glenwood Hot Springs Pool.
Make your reservation by Aug 14. These are special rates that expire after Aug 14.

Schedule:

The schedule is do what you want this year. We'll have dinner reservations but the rest is free form. Here are some suggestions.

Thursday: Arrive - walk to dinner from the hotel around 7pm - pick burgers at Grind (701 Grand) or tacos at Slope and Hatch (208 7th) which are right next to each other. Both have non-meat options. If you'd rather not walk anywhere, Tequilas is across from the hotel, or there's a beer garden close with a Mexican food truck. There is a vintage car race at Aspen/Snowmass around 30 minutes down hwy 82 during the day for anyone in town.

Friday: Hotel parking lot dinner around 7:30pm. Suggested activities: Early drive to Hanging Lake - hike to the lake or there's a great bike/walking trail along the Colo River that goes by the Hanging Lake lot. Rent/bring a bike and ride down the Colo River trail. Have some fun at the Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park - a lift takes you up the mountain to explore caves, take the alpine slide and other fun stuff. Ron is leading a drive Friday morning from Glenwood to McClure Pass beside the Crystal River and pass by Carbondale, Redstone and Marble on the way up.
From the end of the drive, you’re on your own to continue on, hike, fish, or head on down to plenty of restaurants options in the towns mentioned. Ron is thinking he'll do a hike in Marble Friday.

Saturday: Walk to dinner at Glenwood Canyon Brewing, 402 7th St, Glenwood Springs, CO 81601, from the hotel around 6:45pm (0.6mi), dinner reservation is at 7pm. Suggested activities - Drive down 82 through Snowmass, Twin Lakes, then up hwy 24 through Leadville and Minturn then back to Glenwood via I-70. Or drive to Marble (82 to 133). Or, attend Porsche Day at Woody Creek in Snowmass in the a.m., and the car show at Snowmass Village in the afternoon. Or, take the Snowmass Village gondola up the mountain and hike down (or gondola down) in the a.m., and the car show at Snowmass Village in the afternoon. Ron is leading a drive Saturday morning from Glenwood to Ruedi Reservoir Basalt and follow along the famous Frying Pan River and back for the Snowmass Car Show.

Sunday: Try to find someone to have breakfast with if you want. And miss us already!

All day every day: Shenanigans!

Jeff from PCA asked me to post this info if anyone wants to join the Snowmass Motoring Classic activities.
Click to view attachment

Awards - probably not - we already know who wins.
Prizes - don't think so - the prize is each other's company!

There is an event link on facebook at This Location.

This is a link to the tshirt order thread.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

I need you to please let me know if you plan to attend and how many for:
1. Thursday dinner
2. Friday parking lot dinner
3. Saturday dinner

I know there's a lot of TBDs right now but you all know it will be great regardless. I hope to see you all there!!!

biggrin.gif drunk.gif driving-girl.gif driving.gif

Attending:
SharonG and Gint
Brant
Wills
Ernie DeVries
Mike DeVries
Mike Moorman
Jim Watters
Jim McIntosh
Toastie!
Ferg
Ron D and Linda
Eric Shea
VegasRacer
Jason Cobb
Matt and Jen Z
Rob Risen (aka MojoRisen)
Colby Taylor
Larry Phillips
Ray Keeney
michael7810
JRust
Jim Hoyland
Kelly (echocanyons)
Ed Marrow
Greg Silva
Ray Silva
Elliot
Everett (snakemain)
green914
Had great time at last year's RRC hope we can work it into our schedule for this year.
Car is running great, and would be even more fun driving.gif
snakemain
The facebooks doesn't seem to be working tonight. I would love to attempt, once again, to attend since my new engine seems to be not exploding currently. Prolly just me, because I can party way harder on my own. Maybe I can find some ABQ types to caravan.
Kansas 914
You said Shenanigans!
Kansas 914
I will be there, and my brother from Florida might fly in, the hotel is booked Friday evening through Sunday morning.

There will be at least one more car (non-NARP) from Durango (his hotel is booked) and possibly more since they are interested in the Aspen-Snowmass Rally. I will let you know totals as we get closer.
jim_hoyland
I'm in the planning stage
michael7810
I'm planning to attend ThursdayPM - Sunday, solo. I'll make hotel reservations later today. Thanks
SharonG
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ May 25 2017, 06:18 AM) *

I will be there, and my brother from Florida might fly in, the hotel is booked Friday evening through Sunday morning.

There will be at least one more car (non-NARP) from Durango (his hotel is booked) and possibly more since they are interested in the Aspen-Snowmass Rally. I will let you know totals as we get closer.

Sounds good. Thanks Mike!
StratPlayer
Not this year, maybe next year.
michael7810
Hotel reservation made...it's going to be a long drive from Phoenix smile.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ May 25 2017, 09:53 AM) *

This will drastically reduce the shenanigans. dry.gif
mgp4591
Annd.... I'm going to Octeenerfest this year instead of only driving a few hours away. A good chance to see my kids who only live an hour from the venue so I'll get to show them what goes on at these events. They're looking forward to the car show on Saturday so they'll know what dad constantly raves on about...!! w00t.gif
SharonG
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ May 26 2017, 08:11 AM) *

QUOTE(StratPlayer @ May 25 2017, 09:53 AM) *

This will drastically reduce the shenanigans. dry.gif

No doubt about that. Who's going to bring the Little Kings?!
rhodyguy
And the GREAT morning coffee.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(SharonG @ May 24 2017, 06:52 PM) *

I need you to please let me know if you plan to attend and how many for:

1 - For all meals / snacks. Any time, day / night. chowtime.gif

1 - For all drives. Any distance / speed. driving.gif

1 - For all hikes / walks. Under 1 mile only. smoke.gif
RonD
Reservations made. All days, any amount drive, hike or bike. Linda and me.
Kansas 914
Just a morning BUMP - so some folks in Durango could see the event - there could be as many as 4 non-NARPs coming.

icon_bump.gif
JustinMeier
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 26 2017, 01:32 PM) *

And the GREAT morning coffee.

And morning doobie.. sad.gif
StratPlayer
Ahhhh I love the smell of WEED in the morning....
SharonG
SO excited to see everyone! We are working on a plan to attend some Snowmass race stuff on Saturday. Stay tuned!
green914
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ May 30 2017, 01:07 PM) *

Ahhhh I love the smell of WEED in the morning....

laugh.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
Love the first high of the day - and the last.
rhodyguy
You got that right justin. Your pops, me and jim 'talking' and drinking kona coffee before he cut out from escalante 2 years ago @ 0 dark 30. I cleaned your dad's headlights after he raised them for departure. "Wait a minute ron..."
RARE 6
You might consider a Glenwood Springs-Minturn-Leadville-independence Pass-Aspen-Glenwood drive. The pass is one of the most spectacular paved roads in Colorado and Leadville one of the most historic cities.
shelby/914
Would love to make another RRC and may still register, but can't seem to get the rebuilt engine to run. So frustrating, car was running fantastic until it blew a capped air injection tube out of the head. So after a set of rebuilt heads plus investing in new flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, injectors, and SS fuel lines it won't run. Think it must be a ground/ele short somewhere. We'll eventually find it or talk to Ross about a transplant!

Dan
SharonG
QUOTE(RARE 6 @ May 31 2017, 09:17 AM) *

You might consider a Glenwood Springs-Minturn-Leadville-independence Pass-Aspen-Glenwood drive. The pass is one of the most spectacular paved roads in Colorado and Leadville one of the most historic cities.

That is a beautiful drive! We're looking at shorter options. Driving that much cuts into my recreational activities. :-)
SharonG
Please make hotel reservations by Aug 14. That's when our reduced rates expire.
JRust
Add me to the list biggrin.gif
SharonG
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 5 2017, 07:21 PM) *

Yay!! Will do. And added Michael7810, Ron and Linda, and VegasRacerrrrrrr!!!!
TINCAN914
I think I might be able to make it this year... Thanks for thinking about me adding me to the list...
Rebuilding motor with my son, fingers crossed...
Kansas 914
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 5 2017, 07:21 PM) *

aktion035.gif
SharonG
QUOTE(TINCAN914 @ Jun 10 2017, 03:58 PM) *

I think I might be able to make it this year... Thanks for thinking about me adding me to the list...
Rebuilding motor with my son, fingers crossed...

It would be great to see you!
Elliot Cannon
1000 miles. 15 hours driving. I'd like to be there but I'm gonna have to give it some thought. Pretty sure my car could make it. Not quite so sure I can. av-943.gif
SharonG
Hey Folks, I updated the initial post with additional planning (or lack thereof) information. This year is going to be pretty free form in terms of schedule.
piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif cheer.gif
michael7810
Does the Facebook event work? I keep getting a " Event can't be loaded it may have been cancelled " message
jim_hoyland
I'm planning on going; gotta fly in. To Denver or Grand Junction.
jim_hoyland
I'm planning on going; gotta fly in. To Denver or Grand Junction.
SharonG
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jun 26 2017, 04:53 PM) *

Does the Facebook event work? I keep getting a " Event can't be loaded it may have been cancelled " message

It works for me! Sorry if one of us didn't add you to the FB thread Michael! I will add you when I'm home.
michael7810
Thanks Sharon
jim_hoyland
Room Booked. Flying into Grand Junction Thursday around noon
SharonG
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 1 2017, 03:42 PM) *

Room Booked. Flying into Grand Junction Thursday around noon

piratenanner.gif
SharonG
This is the tshirt link! Thanks JP and Ross! Click here for shirt link
SharonG
I should have added the photo of the awesome shirt. piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Toast
For all you peeps that say you cant make it because of a non-running car, financials or whatnot, let me tell you about my experience getting there last last year....

I hitched a ride with a 914 guru there. Shared cost of travel and room. Got to ride shotgun on the runs with teener peep we all love and even got to work on ye said teener again. wink.gif

Hitched a ride to Grand Junction with some more great 914 peeps, then hitched another ride to Green River with even more awesome 914 lovers.

Had to be picked up and taken to Price by my family for Mom's surgery, but the day after that I took Greyhound to SLC Airport and caught a pre-paid flight back to Las Vegas.

So There!! tongue.gif

toast.gif
jim_hoyland
agree.gif In addition to meeting up with a great group of 914ers, the Colorado scenery is worth it ! smile.gif
This will be my 3rd RRC...
StratPlayer
If I change my mind about going Jim, you get to drive my car while I operate the camera.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Jul 5 2017, 06:34 PM) *

If I change my mind about going Jim, you get to drive my car while I operate the camera.

It would be an honor to drive it.....its one of the finest 914sixer around
JRust
I plan to be there in my car. Which still has no drivetrain in it. Finally getting settled into my new place. Hope to start getting the shop organized this weekend. I do have the lift in there with my car hovering over it. I'll get it up in the air this weekend. My first project is going to be doing the Hydraulic clutch setup. My cradle should be done soon which will make things speed up greatly piratenanner.gif

Damn 1200 miles for me & about 18 hours one way sad.gif .
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Toast @ Jul 5 2017, 04:54 PM) *

I hitched a ride with a 914 guru there.

toast.gif

Aww, I've been promoted to Guru smile.gif Does that happen to include getting my own smiley? poke.gif

QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 5 2017, 08:25 PM) *

I plan to be there in my car. Which still has no drivetrain in it. Finally getting settled into my new place. Hope to start getting the shop organized this weekend. I do have the lift in there with my car hovering over it. I'll get it up in the air this weekend. My first project is going to be doing the Hydraulic clutch setup. My cradle should be done soon which will make things speed up greatly piratenanner.gif

You're twice the man I am. I'm half that and I really really don't want to do I70 again. Plus 9 hours talking to myself is unpleasant company to say the least av-943.gif

But it is Birthday month, so maybe if I have the 914 going good and can split room costs.
brant
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 5 2017, 09:25 PM) *

18 hours?

I came back from 16' RT66 in 14 hours
3 snowstorms over 3 passes
1000 miles...

You don't need 4 extra hours

(An inch of water slushing in the floor boards and both truncks)
snakemain
I'm in!

Wife's schedule changed so she won't be traveling that weekend and can stay home with the kids!

Just me, so I should be in for all the activities.

E
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.