Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Virginia Teener
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Gatornapper
Area PCA 9/14 Event - looking forward to it!

Hope some other forum members can make it too - anderssj is coming.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/fsr-fa...settlers-920339

GN
bbrock
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Aug 18 2019, 07:01 AM) *

TO MODERATOR:

Since it's been almost 2 years since I joined this great forum, can you change the title of my thread to "Virginia Teener" or something like that?

THANKS!

GN

What? You don't want to be a perpetual nube? biggrin.gif You can change the title yourself and as often as you like by going back to your first post on the thread and selecting edit, and then full edit. In full edit mode, you can edit both the title and description of the thread. beerchug.gif
Gatornapper
Brent -

Thanks! Well, since I'm technically NOT a newbie any more, the title is no longer accurate or true.

And I'm a stickler for both.

GN

[/quote]

What? You don't want to be a perpetual nube? biggrin.gif You can change the title yourself and as often as you like by going back to your first post on the thread and selecting edit, and then full edit. In full edit mode, you can edit both the title and description of the thread. beerchug.gif
[/quote]
Gatornapper
NOTE TO THREAD FOLLOWERS:

Title changed for accuracy! smoke.gif

GN
Gatornapper
Appears loss of power - and likely overheating - was due to loss of spark plug wire on cylinder 2 - for the 2nd time. Just came off. New wires going on this week.

You'd think I would have noticed missing, but no, engine was still surprisingly smooth. And still ran 70+......

Yes - I feel like an idiot.

GN

JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Aug 12 2019, 06:57 PM) *

Mark -

Wow. Everything I needed - and more. Thank you.

See two places for fuses on the relay board - one has a blue fuse in it; the other is empty. What is the 2nd empty fuse holder for? Can't find anything that describes layout of relay board.

Thanks a million - for the hundredth time????

GN

The other fuse is for the optional rear window defroster..
Gatornapper
Thanks Jeff!

[/quote]

The other fuse is for the optional rear window defroster..
[/quote]
Gatornapper
Ok, friends and family. It's time you all find out where Gatornapper came from. NOT my own invention! Major US newspaper gave me and a friend the name after we "borrowed" a full-grown 6' alligator.

No - not in Florida or Louisiana. NOT in the South. Indiana. 1965. I was 20. And no, I wasn't totally sober. Miracle we did not get hurt. See my notes after the articles:

IPB Image

Half the details are flat wrong. Only I and one other guy were involved, and he is deceased, so I'm the only living Gator Napper left.

I wasn't drunk, but my buddy was...I was 'designated driver'. But I wasn't sober either.

After 2 prank attempts, we released Alberta in a pond in the middle of a thick forest, thinking we'd never hear of her again.

What we did not know is that a creek went from that pond into the largest lake in Indiana, 5 x 2 miles. And when the lake folk began to see a full-grown alligator in their resort place, they got just a little upset for some reason.

And called for the cops to find out who put the alligator in the lake, and to of course, hang them. We were facing 6 years in jail and $6,000.00 in fines. That's a lot for 1965.

The judge tore into us making me think he was going to give us LIFE. But he then showed mercy.......my first - of many - taste of the mercy of God......

And BTW, rather than Gator, I prefer "Napper" - cause we "Napped" the Gator....but my name is Richard. But whatever works for you is cool too.

GN

Gatornapper
Well, it's been almost 2 years since I posted to this thread, and my sweet 914 has come a long, long way. So I thought I'd try to do an update. Golly - where to start?

Good news on the car after being seen by a number of 914 experts (Scott Burnett for one) is that the car is amazingly rust free, maybe 8 small spots and 2 that could be deep.

Car is amazingly tight in every way, friend with fully restored '72 (both a Porsche & 914 expert) says mine is much tighter than his, and my new shift linkage is tighter than his.

Found on car when I got it: New 911 Master Cylinder, BMW 320i front brake calipers, new rack & pinion steering. MSD ignition. Had 60,600 original miles with documentation to prove it.

I added: PMB rear brake calipers & new rotors, 050 distributor, new plugs & wires, .060 idle jets in Webber 44's, powder-coated engine tins, almost all new body/door seals.

Dropped engine in May of last year for thorough cleaning and media-blasting, new Tangerine T'stat, new cooling flaps & assembly, cleaning oil cooler and cylinder fins, new alternator, new cables, replaced relay board, cleaned & repainted engine bay to original Malaga Red, new engine seals, bundled engine bay wiring.

Put in new LED headlights from 914rubber, wired original Fog Lights for DRL's and put LED's in them; All exterior lighting is now LED except for front side marker lights. Interior light on seat is LED. Planning on 2w LED indicator lights in dash - colored. The LED Fog Light DRL's turn that ugly black front bumper into a thing of beauty. IMHO.

Car has never looked better: 3 steps of buffering badly oxidized paint with commercial buffer with help of pro, coat of Meguires Carnuba Wax. For latest pics, see here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2928481

Car has never run better: Weber's dialed in another notch last Saturday. Delighted at the power this little 2.0 has. 3 hour ride in foothills of mountains Saturday produced 27mpg to boot.

Car has never handled better: did not know torsion bars were way out of adjustment, loose; now handling it tighter and more precise than ever.

Tomorrow, Lord willing, I'll get a new set of tires on my like-new just powder-coated Mahle's and pull off the beautiful black EMPI's that came on the car, but have the wrong offset for a 914.

Done? Never. Still plan to get car back to its original Malaga Red - among other things. Hopefully next time it won't be 2 years between updates.

Oh - yes. I'm in love. Like the rest of you - with my sweet 914. What a car!

GN
Gatornapper
For anyone running Dual IDF-44's on a 2.0, here is the jetting I used to get my 44's dialed-in and running great on another thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2931348

Highly recommend Bob Tomlinson's book, especially on how to Troubleshoot problems and Dial-in your idle mixture screws on pp. 49 - 52.

HTH

GN
Krieger
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Aug 19 2019, 03:25 PM) *

Ok, friends and family. It's time you all find out where Gatornapper came from. NOT my own invention! Major US newspaper gave me and a friend the name after we "borrowed" a full-grown 6' alligator.

No - not in Florida or Louisiana. NOT in the South. Indiana. 1965. I was 20. And no, I wasn't totally sober. Miracle we did not get hurt. See my notes after the articles:

IPB Image

Half the details are flat wrong. Only I and one other guy were involved, and he is deceased, so I'm the only living Gator Napper left.

I wasn't drunk, but my buddy was...I was 'designated driver'. But I wasn't sober either.

After 2 prank attempts, we released Alberta in a pond in the middle of a thick forest, thinking we'd never hear of her again.

What we did not know is that a creek went from that pond into the largest lake in Indiana, 5 x 2 miles. And when the lake folk began to see a full-grown alligator in their resort place, they got just a little upset for some reason.

And called for the cops to find out who put the alligator in the lake, and to of course, hang them. We were facing 6 years in jail and $6,000.00 in fines. That's a lot for 1965.

The judge tore into us making me think he was going to give us LIFE. But he then showed mercy.......my first - of many - taste of the mercy of God......

And BTW, rather than Gator, I prefer "Napper" - cause we "Napped" the Gator....but my name is Richard. But whatever works for you is cool too.

GN

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif holy crap! What an adventure! Glad you did not get 6 years.
Jett
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Aug 9 2019, 04:33 PM) *

Ok, discovered leaking piston O ring on front right caliper - which is from a BMW 320i (assuming PO would not lie to me about this).

Delighted to find out from Pelican that there are only 2 - 320i calipers - 2 piston ('79 - '83) & 4 piston (later) - mine are 2-piston, so I ordered a rebuild kit for both calipers.

Too bad PMB doesn't rebuild them - asked Eric but never heard back from him......

Anyone know if the original front 914 calipers were noted for being a weak design?

GN

I sent my BMW calipers in to PMB and they took them in trade for a stock set. These folks are amazing!

Great Gator story!
Gatornapper
930cabman asked on the IDF 44 thread if I was finished and had another project ahead. Not hardly.

There is still still TONS of stuff to do to my 914.

There are about a dozen small rust spots that need to be fixed, most where upper body meets lower body. Scotty Burnett looked at the car and said it indeed was a rare one for lack of rust, but some of the small rust spots could be deep. Won't know until we dig into them.

Trunk and frunk lids are both hail damaged and the paint is badly oxidized - beyond recovery. What's weird is the tops of the four quarter panels are all fine. Not sure what to do with the lids - open to suggestions. Might find & paint ones from another car.

Rocker panels bent and need attention.

Dash is badly cracked in many places. Anderssj gave me a nice dash with no cracks except one that has been nicely repaired in the center of the crown above the tach - hardly noticeable & hidden by steering wheel. Someday that has to go in, and that is a multi-day job.

I want to take the car back to its original Malaga Red. The Scarlett Red paint job is a top-notch CA job, very thick. It needs to be removed. Want to get down at least to the original paint. No idea how/when that will happen, especially due to lack of funds.

Problem is while I'm pretty good at wrenching, I am hopeless at body work. And I cannot afford to pay an expert to do an expert job. And I hate body work - love wrenching.

A number of little things to address, though everything works.

So I'll be piddling on the car for some time.

But in the meantime, I'll just enjoy driving it. Over 2,000 miles in the last 6 weeks!

GN
Gatornapper
I cannot believe it's been over 3 year since I posted on this thread! MY BAD for not logging 3 years of history like others do - just too many other things going on I guess.

I know I posted somewhere, but first is the new look of my Mahle's......about 3 years ago.....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

More coming......
Gatornapper
Put about 6,000 miles on her and started having engine trouble a year ago.

Decided to do top-end rebuild of engine with new heads, P's & C's from George, and a tranny rebuild so I dropped the engine in August....

IPB Image

My best Porsche friend Rick Berkowitz helped (72 - 914, 79 - 911 SC, 85 - 944)
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Gatornapper
And decided while I was rebuilding the engine, it would be a good time to take the Scarlet Red beauty to my restoration painter (who gave me a slot in his schedule a year ago) to have a 1st class repaint & body resto to like new in her original Malaga Red. His slot opened up before I even got started on the engine.

WHY? Because I was working on the 924 Turbo to sell it......and find a nice 944!

Restoration shop just got started on her this week! Oh - one detail: the sails will not be black vinyl, but Malaga Red. Can't wait to see how that looks......

IPB Image

IPB Image

So now I'll start a new thread on my selling my 924 Turbo that I did a 90% restore on - and what the good Lord dropped out of heaven on me!

GN
Gatornapper
Well well! My body shop restoration painter tells me that my 914 is ready except for installing the "Porsche" rocker panels I got from Auto Atlanta and I should pick it up this Thursday.

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Can't wait. Photos will be forthcoming when I get the car. Will look like new.

Sad part is top-end rebuild on engine is mid-way, but good news is tranny rebuild is complete. So the car will have to sit on my lift with my sweet 944 S (my daily driver) underneath it so both cars - and my 928 - can be out of the weather. Like in the 3rd pic on Post #165 above..........

Stand by for a beautiful Malaga Red 914.....

GN
flipb
Did you refinish the Mahles? They look great in the photos from November. Mine look pretty tired by comparison.
Gatornapper
QUOTE(flipb @ Apr 25 2023, 07:06 AM) *

Did you refinish the Mahles? They look great in the photos from November. Mine look pretty tired by comparison.

Mahle's were professionally powder-coated about 4 years ago I think. They look new.

BTW, I was going to paint them myself and even got so far as putting primer on them. I have Wolfsburg original color (L91?) - 4 - spray cans worth over $30/each available if anyone can use them. Will sell at a discount.

GN
Gatornapper
FINALLY! BACK TO HER ORIGINAL MALAGA RED! Love this color so much more!

All areas done superbly by top area restoration shop including trunk, frunk, engine bay. Vinyl on sails deleted. Shop even did lots of restoration work on bumpers making them look new as well. Posting a ton of pics here......

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Gatornapper
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

GN
BillJ
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jul 17 2021, 10:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Aug 19 2019, 03:25 PM) *

IPB Image

GN

Three leged gator????
Gatornapper
Yea, lost one in the Glades I guess, probably to another gator. If it had had 4 legs, we mighta been hurt......

Lotsa errors/untruths in articles - as normal with media even 58 years ago. One article said Alberta was from Florida, the other from Louisiana....only the Lord knows...

Only Chris Wooling and I were involved, and he's passed so I am the only living Gatornapper on the planet.....my claim to fame........

Of course this is my biker name - many in the Harley world only know me as Gatornapper......too many shorten it to "Gator"........

biggrin.gif

GN

[/quote]
Three legged gator????
[/quote]
r_towle
Well,
Great story and I hope your new engine build goes smoothly.

Rich
Gatornapper
Thanks Rich - I hope so too.

Kinda down now - found out docs can do nothing to help my brother in south FLA who is dying from liver failure - cirrhosis. He's in and out mentally due to high ammonia in blood - hepatic encephaly. I'll never see him again.....a good guy.

GN

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 4 2023, 08:59 AM) *

Well,
Great story and I hope your new engine build goes smoothly.

Rich

Cairo94507
GN - Sorry to hear about your brother; I hope he passes peacefully in his sleep.
87m491
I replaced the transmission mounts on my 74. Of course on butting up the second one I noticed that the mount had an indexing pin on them to positively locate them to together with the metal "hat/saddle"
IPB Image

So of course it comes out as does the first to make sure they were indexed correctly. That said the two nuts for each anchor bolt of the mount also have a shoulder that sits in the holed to center the bolts and keep it from shifting. 2 of mine were on wrong so I'm guessing my mounts were old replacements.
Gatornapper
"914 - 2.0" Decal Location

Went through this before and thought I posted about this when I put my first decal on a couple years ago - but if so I cannot find it.

As car has just been repainted, I'm putting on a new "914 - 2.0" sticker that the '75/'76 914's had. But as I'm a detail freak - I'd like some precise details about the location of the decal.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Precise measurements to .1mm would be great!

I think I remember that vertically the decal centerline is aligned with the centerline of the trunk button.

If so, all I need is horizontal dimensions to taillight on right, trunk button on left.

TIA!

GN
930cabman
Thanks for giving up the napper!!

may your brother go peacefully

with all those machines in the stable, how can you decide which one to pilot?
flipb
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ May 15 2023, 09:53 AM) *

"914 - 2.0" Decal Location

Went through this before and thought I posted about this when I put my first decal on a couple years ago - but if so I cannot find it.

As car has just been repainted, I'm putting on a new "914 - 2.0" sticker that the '75/'76 914's had. But as I'm a detail freak - I'd like some precise details about the location of the decal.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Precise measurements to .1mm would be great!

I think I remember that vertically the decal centerline is aligned with the centerline of the trunk button.

If so, all I need is horizontal dimensions to taillight on right, trunk button on left.

TIA!

GN

Mine's a '74 so it has the solid badges (as opposed to sticker) but if the placement is the same, I can take a photo and/or try to measure for you.
Gatornapper
Thanks. My younger brother passed peacefully at 9pm on June 16th. I miss him, can't believe he's gone.

The 944 S is my daily driver. Try to split driving evenly between the other 3, but it's interesting how each day seems to select the car by conditions & circumstances. Longer drives or bad weather require the Cayman.

Think I should start a new thread on Phase II of my 914 rebuild.

GN

QUOTE(930cabman @ May 16 2023, 01:31 PM) *

Thanks for giving up the napper!!

may your brother go peacefully

with all those machines in the stable, how can you decide which one to pilot?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.