Full Version: Transmission rebuild clinic, VA 12/30-31
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
billsimmeth
Count me in for the Virginia clinic.
rmdinmd
va clinic sounds good.
Dr Evil
OK, list in the bottom of the first post is updated. If your name is on there and you are not wanting to be a paid participant, let me know. If your name is not on there and you want to be a paid participant, let me know. I hope to nail down a date this weekend so we can better plan. Also, let me know what your transmission problems are so I can bring enough parts.
Dr Evil
Spoke with Scotty, he is having his usual crappy luck with phone and computer taking a crap at the same time so he is kind of cut off from the internet at the moment. He says that mid Dec and later works best for him. What say you all? I know Xmas and New Years are in that range, and that can mess things up some. I could do early Dec, or even better for me would be New Years weekend as I get New Years Day off and it is on Monday, and I will already be over at his place as is tradition. Let me know your thoughts!
ThreeV8s
How mechanically inclined does one need to be to come to one of these and do the rebuild? I have no experience of the sort and have never removed/installed a gearbox or major component, so assuming I could find someone to help me through that part of it, this sounds like an amazing opportunity.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Oct 17 2017, 08:24 PM) *

How mechanically inclined does one need to be to come to one of these and do the rebuild? I have no experience of the sort and have never removed/installed a gearbox or major component, so assuming I could find someone to help me through that part of it, this sounds like an amazing opportunity.

You are the perfect candidate for this. You may take more supervision, but you will learn some confidence and gain some mechanical acumen. As long as you have the tools, which I will post up when we get closer and are nothing exotic, you will do just fine. As for remove and install, post up a separate thread and I bet you will find plenty of help.
Dr Evil
Ok, how does New Years weekend sound to everyone? If necessary, I can come out the Friday before, but anticipate that we will work 9a-midnight the first day (possibly end sooner depending on need), and 9a to about noon-1 the second day so you still will have the evening to enjoy a quiet New Years. This is the tentative week at at this point.
BeatNavy
I probably can't make that weekend. I could probably do the next weekend (1/5 - 1/7).

It may be tough any time immediately before, during, or after the holidays, but you gotta pick a date that you think works, especially for you. I'd love to go to this if I can, even if I don't have a tranny in full need of rebuild.

What does everyone else say? The good doctor needs some feedback so he can lock something in...
bulitt
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 4 2017, 02:15 PM) *

I have discussed it with Scotty B and he has graciously offered up his new shop near Richmond, VA as a venue for the clinic.

Scooby Bee got a new shop?

billsimmeth
New Year's weekend works for me. The wife sleeps through it every year anyway. rolleyes.gif I can make most any other weekend in Dec-Jan except the first in December (12/2-3). Thanks.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(bulitt @ Oct 18 2017, 10:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 4 2017, 02:15 PM) *

I have discussed it with Scotty B and he has graciously offered up his new shop near Richmond, VA as a venue for the clinic.

Scooby Bee got a new shop?

Yup
Dr Evil
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Oct 18 2017, 10:11 AM) *

I probably can't make that weekend. I could probably do the next weekend (1/5 - 1/7).

It may be tough any time immediately before, during, or after the holidays, but you gotta pick a date that you think works, especially for you. I'd love to go to this if I can, even if I don't have a tranny in full need of rebuild.

What does everyone else say? The good doctor needs some feedback so he can lock something in...

I will lock in new years unless most cannot make it.

Your post made me think of something, come and drop off your transmission and save $100 on shipping as I will cart it back, rebuild it, and ship it out. smile.gif
flyer86d
I can do New Years. I am flexible though too.

Charlie
ThreeV8s
I am questionable at this point since a lot of stars have to align and I already have a few projects I will be doing to this recently purchased gem over the winter. I appreciate the feedback from your reply to my post and will let you know if I can make this clinic work. Is there a ballpark deadline yet for confirmation?
Dr Evil
QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Oct 18 2017, 04:39 PM) *

I am questionable at this point since a lot of stars have to align and I already have a few projects I will be doing to this recently purchased gem over the winter. I appreciate the feedback from your reply to my post and will let you know if I can make this clinic work. Is there a ballpark deadline yet for confirmation?

Initially posted to wrong thread. This will be NY weekend.
DRPHIL914
add me to the list for VA.
I have a spare box of complete unknown shape or condition and would like to do this to get a stock box as option over the one I have that has the gear changes we did last time .

Phil
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 19 2017, 11:04 AM) *

add me to the list for VA.
I have a spare box of complete unknown shape or condition and would like to do this to get a stock box as option over the one I have that has the gear changes we did last time .

Phil

Added to list
bretth
Damn I wish this was closer to me. 7 hours drive. Hopefully can have another event further north.
jfort
I, too, would like to attend the Richmond one. Has the date been established?
Dr Evil
QUOTE(jfort @ Oct 19 2017, 01:10 PM) *

I, too, would like to attend the Richmond one. Has the date been established?

Dude, you are practically down the road from me. Come over and lets do this. The date for Richmond is New Years weekend.
David in VA
I can't make New Year's, will be out of town. Wish I could.

David
Dr Evil
QUOTE(David in VA @ Oct 19 2017, 02:49 PM) *

David

Major bummer. Date may get pushed back if too many have to drop out, but not likely to move it forward.
LowBridge
so what days are we looking at? is this a 1 day class and if so we are shooting for New Years day?
BeatNavy
QUOTE(LowBridge @ Oct 20 2017, 08:40 AM) *

so what days are we looking at? is this a 1 day class and if so we are shooting for New Years day?

I believe it's listed in post 57: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2538908

David in VA
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 19 2017, 01:45 PM) *

QUOTE(David in VA @ Oct 19 2017, 02:49 PM) *

David

Major bummer. Date may get pushed back if too many have to drop out, but not likely to move it forward.

If the date does get moved please let me know. I am very interested in attending.

David
LowBridge
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Oct 20 2017, 09:14 AM) *

I believe it's listed in post 57: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2538908

pray.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(LowBridge @ Oct 20 2017, 01:29 PM) *

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Oct 20 2017, 09:14 AM) *

pray.gif

rolleyes.gif av-943.gif
LowBridge
so sounds like this is a go... are we going to get a PM/Email with an address and list of tools we need to bring?

I'm looking to book my hotel soon so I don't run into issues on that weekend and I'm so ready for this class... my son and i did this today
Dr Evil
QUOTE(LowBridge @ Oct 22 2017, 06:52 PM) *

so sounds like this is a go... are we going to get a PM/Email with an address and list of tools we need to bring?

I'm looking to book my hotel soon so I don't run into issues on that weekend and I'm so ready for this class... my son and i did this today

What is that a pic of? Never seen one. wink.gif

Nah, no PM or any such. I will update the first post and encourage everyone to check to see that they are either on the list or should not be on the list. As for too list, I will go to one of the old threads linked in my signature and just cut and paste those info. If you havent scrolled through my signature, you should. There is an article in 9Magazine, and links to some old clinics.
LowBridge
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 22 2017, 08:57 PM) *

QUOTE(LowBridge @ Oct 22 2017, 06:52 PM) *

What is that a pic of? Never seen one. wink.gif

Nah, no PM or any such. I will update the first post and encourage everyone to check to see that they are either on the list or should not be on the list. As for too list, I will go to one of the old threads linked in my signature and just cut and paste those info. If you havent scrolled through my signature, you should. There is an article in 9Magazine, and links to some old clinics.

well its 2 dogs, however the second one is hard to see behind that other large thing lol-2.gif
Dr Evil
Bumping for late comers. Ill get in touch with those on the list in the first post in a few days so I can start shaking people down for money biggrin.gif
LowBridge
aktion035.gif
Dr Evil
LOL
Mitox
I'm very interested.

I will be putting the 914 trans on a 3.2 and know almost nothing about transmission.

Is this the course for me?
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Mitox @ Oct 25 2017, 04:04 PM) *

I'm very interested.

I will be putting the 914 trans on a 3.2 and know almost nothing about transmission.

Certainly, but you may wish to re-gear to match your engine. I PMed you.
Mitox
QUOTE(Mitox @ Oct 25 2017, 04:04 PM) *

I'm very interested.

Nixed by the wife's holiday travel plans. Count me out. I may ship it to you for the rebuild.
bahnzai
I believe I am still in. How & when do we need to send funds?
enikolayev
Wish I could join in on this just to hang out and observe. I'm one hour away in Williamsburg and rebuilt my box with the help of your DVD last year. Unfortunately will be out of the country for the winter.
VaccaRabite
I'll be there to observe and drink your beer.

Your beer.

No, no, YOUR beer. Yes you. Don't pretend I cant see you.

Zach
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 26 2017, 10:07 AM) *

Your beer.

Zach

Did Scotty give you the address to the new, new shop? Ill make sure he gets it for you biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(bahnzai @ Oct 26 2017, 08:29 AM) *

I believe I am still in. How & when do we need to send funds?

I will need to order the bearing sets in the near future. I figure beginning of Nov/mid Nov latest for collection of those monies. We can stagger parts/tuition collection if necessary. Just need paid up by shop day and will need some funds for other parts that you will likely need; rings, sliders, teeth, etc.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(enikolayev @ Oct 26 2017, 09:37 AM) *

Wish I could join in on this just to hang out and observe. I'm one hour away in Williamsburg and rebuilt my box with the help of your DVD last year. Unfortunately will be out of the country for the winter.

Bummer. You can swing by OH smile.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 26 2017, 11:56 AM) *

Your beer.

Zach

Did Scotty give you the address to the new, new shop? Ill make sure he gets it for you biggrin.gif

I don't know the address, but I've been there enough to know how to get there from moving the stuff back and forth from the old shop.

Zach
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 26 2017, 12:39 PM) *

Your beer.

Zach

I don't know the address, but I've been there enough to know how to get there from moving the stuff back and forth from the old shop.

Zach

No Zach, a different new shop. You can meet us all there. We may be late.
LowBridge
OK, making progress on this and will have the stack out this weekend with pictures up for your review and after reading all of the posts on the old classes in your link it's clear I need to clean them so you can see "hard" edges to better see the wear marks.

I'm ready to pay now so once you help me figure out what parts I need and tell me how to give you money lol-2.gif , we'll be ready
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 26 2017, 04:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 26 2017, 12:39 PM) *

Your beer.

Zach

Zach

No Zach, a different new shop. You can meet us all there. We may be late.

IPB Image
Movin6
Hello,

I'd be interested, I am in S. NH (An hour north of Boston). My transmission needs 2nd gear synchros, at a minimum. I've owned my 914-6 since 1990, synchros were fine when I got it... ;-)

Timing is good, winter storage so not cutting into driving season. Any possibility of offering it closer? NY maybe? Willing to drive, also noticed someone from Lunenburg going, maybe we can car pool...

Charlie
Amherst, NH
70 914-6 #928
LowBridge
QUOTE(Movin6 @ Oct 27 2017, 12:09 AM) *

Hello,

I'd be interested, I am in S. NH (An hour north of Boston). My transmission needs 2nd gear synchros, at a minimum. I've owned my 914-6 since 1990, synchros were fine when I got it... ;-)

Timing is good, winter storage so not cutting into driving season. Any possibility of offering it closer? NY maybe? Willing to drive, also noticed someone from Lunenburg going, maybe we can car pool...

Charlie
Amherst, NH
70 914-6 #928

sent you a PM
Dr Evil
first post updated.
Red76
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 4 2017, 12:15 PM) *

UPDATE 10/27/17 - Address is
3200 Roxbury Rd
Charles City, VA 23030

Don't stay at the Star Motel! Its close, but nasty.

UPDATE 10/22/17 - This is happening the weekend of New Years, Sat and Sun. Plan for a long session Sat in particular. Since the list is more finalized I will set up PM with info on bearings and such. I can group buy stuff and save you lots of $$.

Original post:
"So, some of you have kept up with my shit show of a personal life and can understand why I was not doing clinics for a while. Also, I have had to adapt and research to changes in our boxes as what worked 10 yrs ago may not work now; ex would be using old bearings. I have secured a source for new bearings and have verified in many builds that they are robust, and to factory spec, so they can be easily installed. Thus, I am able to once again start offering clinics as my time allows.

I have discussed it with Scotty B and he has graciously offered up his new shop near Richmond, VA as a venue for the clinic. It is within half a days drive for me so it is doable without me missing days from my day job that pays my bills. As soon as I get more time off saved up I will look into doing other clinics around the country, and Canada (yo, Mark!).

So, how does this go? Since there are a lot of new folks on here, click on the links in my sig below to see how we have done these in the past. I am keeping the cost the same ($300/head and 18 and below are free, free to spectate, take pics, etc), but expect to buy new bearing sets off of me. If you insist on using old bearings, I will not warranty that they will last. The more people that we get bearing sets, the cheaper for everyone. Not sure what I will cut off the class size at, I haven't been to Scotty's shop yet to see and will talk more with him as we have done them at his old place in the past and he is savvy.

When? Towards the end of the year is the earliest. Early Dec is looking like a possibility.

Lets see what interest we can generate!

Also, I am always willing to do a clinic here at my shop in OH, 43160. However, I am planning to sell the house/barn and move to the city and I am not sure I will have such a luxurious structure to do such things at in the future. (Divorce is a bitch!).

Guys from LA and NorCal have contacted me privately, they are needing/wanting, and I would love to meet that need as soon as I can. I just need to time off of work.

Washington, Mr242 has lit the fire and you are on my radar.

Canada, I can drive it in a day and Mark has a great place to host (and he just basically kicks ass).

Any others wanna throw their location in as a possible?

Post up here if interested, PM me if very serious and I will assemble a list of parts purchasers so I can see about getting a group discount from my suppliers. Man, I missed doing these :)"

VA clinic list update 10/27/17

wndsrfr
nditiz1
flyer86d - from VT!
Billh1963
LowBridge and son - from MA
68911l
bahnzai
billsimmeth
Phill W.
Movin6

Hey Doc,
Count me in and pls tell me how to get a copy of your dvd. I live in east TN and that would be a short drive for me. Let me know how to get in touch w you directly. This method is time consuming to say the least.
Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.