Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1972 914 Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
autopro
Upon test fitting the front bumper the fog lights were not quite centered on the holes of the grill. I had to modify the mounting brackets so that they would be centered.

Here is a picture of the back of the fog light and what the mounting ears look like

Click to view attachment

Here is the modification that was made, excuse the ugly welds I ran out of gas and had to use the flux core wire.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
And this is how I mounted them. But I messed up and now I have to fix it. I need the ears of the bracket from the light to be on the outside of the small bracket that gets bolted to the body hissyfit.gif

Click to view attachment

At least they are centered and look really good for some aftermarket fog lights from ebay.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
I've been working on the war but have been slacking on posting up my pictures so here goes.

Headlight covers before and after. Cleaned them up and let them sit in a bucket with chlorine and water for a couple of days. Hit it with some barkeepers friend at the end and the result was pretty good.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
Painted and installed the trim with new hardware.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Side skirts and bumper valances primed and ready for paint

Click to view attachment
autopro
Making sure they fit well before I paint them.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
I'm going to wait a little while before I paint all those pieces black because I also want to paint my roof while I am at it. For this reason I jumped to the wiring harness. I have been dreading this job for a while but it also has to get done.

Here the installation of the new snorkel.

Click to view attachment

Then working on the new washer pump switch. Installation is pretty straight forward and simple for this switch thanks to all the great info that is here on the site.

Click to view attachment

Then it was time to start running the wiring harness. Started at the tunnel and worked my way to both ends.

Click to view attachment

autopro
Harnes ran through the engine compartment.

Click to view attachment

Then into the trunk

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Out the back for the license plate lights with the new grommets.

Click to view attachment

autopro
Mounted the fuse panel under the dash, some of those fuses are probably still original biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Installing the steering column to check that all my lights and the washer pump work.

Click to view attachment

Then it was a matter of running it to the front of the car.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
Doing the euro conversion. I was having a grounding issue by just grounding to the bucket so I ran the ground wire all the way to the harness.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

New spade connectors and wiring the the harness.

Click to view attachment

Boot installed

Click to view attachment
Dion
Nicely done as usual Pedro. Coming along so well. How did you get the front turn signal buckets to shine so well? They look new!
beerchug.gif
autopro
QUOTE(Dion @ Jul 21 2022, 05:58 AM) *

Nicely done as usual Pedro. Coming along so well. How did you get the front turn signal buckets to shine so well? They look new!
beerchug.gif

Hi Dion, I cleaned them with Bartenders Friend first and then put them in water with chlorine to get them a brighter white. There were some spots were I used some 600 grit sand paper to remove them but that was about all I did.
autopro
Worked some more on the harness and also the windshield wipers

Click to view attachment

Cleaned up and installed

Click to view attachment

New hardware from 914 Rubber

Click to view attachment
autopro
Grimmy and dirty headlight motors and hardware

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Cleaned up and ready for install

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
And some pictures of the installation

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
wub.gif beerchug.gif
autopro
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 4 2022, 09:25 AM) *

wub.gif beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Some before and after pics of the airbox

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

New seals installed

Click to view attachment

All cleaned up and put back together

Click to view attachment
autopro
And thanks to Ian for making this video that made installation much easier:

https://youtu.be/Uhs6pedBOXM

Even though my car did not originally come with a grill for the airbox I decided to add it to prevent stuff from getting down there.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Good call on the grill; should have done that on my build. beerchug.gif
autopro
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 9 2022, 05:45 AM) *

Good call on the grill; should have done that on my build. beerchug.gif

I'm glad a made that call also after all the crap I found inside. beerchug.gif

Jumping to the dash that was all crusty and dirty. Found out I had not ordered the vinyl and the foam for it so I placed my order for those parts from 914 rubber today.

Click to view attachment

Cleaned up looking much better

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
The dash material was still in very good shape, I just cleaned it with some soap and water and it looked great. Using contact cement to glue it down.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
Took the time to add some black to where the air vents come out.

Click to view attachment

Double sided tape for the chrome molding on the knee pad

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
That is as far as I was able to get on the dash until my parts order from 914 rubber shows up. I did get to work on other small detail parts for the dash though.

Soaked the glove box with water and then put a clamp on it out in the sun to get it back into shape.

Click to view attachment

Took the cigarette lighter apart to clean it up.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Knee pad cleaned up also, luckily this was also in very good shape. Just used soap and water, I will treat it with a protectant prior to installation.

Click to view attachment
bbrock
Oh wow! I somehow missed a whole year of your build. What a treat to catch up. Last time I checked, you had a diamond in the rough, and now, FABULOUS!

And I have to say, only real mean take their cigar lighters apart. biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
autopro
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 11 2022, 06:36 PM) *

And I have to say, only real mean take their cigar lighters apart. biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

Thanks Brent beerchug.gif , this made me laugh lol-2.gif
bkrantz
Excellent work, Pedro. Keep up the momentum.
autopro
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 11 2022, 07:29 PM) *

Excellent work, Pedro. Keep up the momentum.

I'm trying buddy, hopefully I will be close to finishing like you are soon. Thanks for the kind words! beerchug.gif
autopro
I'm happy to report that the glove box is no longer crooked. Leaving it overnight to dry while clamped did the job. Now I need to get some flock because the inside is still nasty from all the rat piss icon8.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
Since I will be waiting for parts to arrive for the dash I decided to clean all the air ducts. Off into a bucket of warm soapy water they go. Amazing how much dirt is coming off these, couldn't imagine not taking these apart to clean them properly from the inside.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

autopro
Forgot to take before pics of these but they were just as dirty as everything else.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
Wow a couple of weeks and I am really lagging on my updates yellowsleep[1].gif

The parts I ordered from 914 Rubber showed up in just a few days so I go on the dash to get it finished.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
Ian, thanks for the great video on how to upholster to dash. It made this job quick and easy and it came out looking great. The dash also came from 914 rubber and it looks fantastic. Here are some pictures of the dash installation.

Click to view attachment

This pictures shows the rubber seal between the dash and the windshield.

Click to view attachment

Now to deal with the wiring harness and all the accessories.

Click to view attachment
autopro
Time to pause and clean the air controls. Cleaned up the electrical terminals, surface rust on the metal parts, painted the face, lubed the cable guides, new grommet and new knobs.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
Well, it's starting to look like a car inside now, and I can't wait to finish putting it together. Still quite a ways to go yet though blink.gif Here I installed the knee pad, switches, air controls, air registers and started sorting out the wiring.

Click to view attachment

I'm pretty happy with how things are lining up with little tweaking right now. Will work on it some more to get a better fit on some parts.

Click to view attachment

Couldn't wait, had to test my newly installed light switches.

Click to view attachment
Dion
This car is soooo nice. That front end is sweet.
Just awesomeness Pedro!
autopro
Thanks Dion! Talking about the front end, I need to get up and finish sanding and painting the bumpers and other parts. I have just been lazy doing it and was focusing on putting the car back together.
autopro
Instruments are in and starting hooking up the harness to the back of them. Starting to come alive slowly. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

autopro
Also worked on getting the air ducts in and starting to adjust the cables from the levers in the dash.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
Next was the installation of the air ducts, but first I had to re-work the clamps.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
The air hoses I ordered where from URO Parts in 60mm Part# 644 572 971 00, Part SKU URO-010423 in 1500mm length. The other one was 50mm Part# 911 211 274 00, Part SKU URO-010451 in 720mm length.
I was surprised how close these are to the originals.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
pfreiburger
Wow, just wow! Really enjoying following the progress of your beautiful build. Thanks for taking the time to share your work.
914GTSTI
WOW ! aktion035.gif
autopro
QUOTE(pfreiburger @ Aug 28 2022, 07:46 PM) *

Wow, just wow! Really enjoying following the progress of your beautiful build. Thanks for taking the time to share your work.

Thanks for the kind words pfreiburger beerchug.gif

QUOTE(914GTSTI @ Aug 28 2022, 11:58 PM) *

WOW ! aktion035.gif

Sweet! beer.gif
autopro
Here's another one of those, I should have done this before. But in my rush to get the car painted I decided to wait to do it later. Here I had to make new brackets for the rear bumper so that it would line up correctly. I am also fixing some of the edges so that all the gaps are even and that they are straight. I knew I should have done this before, it's not fun working on a freshly painted car without scratching it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
Got my gas gauge working, the fuel sending unit was stuck so I left it soaking in some gas overnight and it loosened up.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
It's the little things that slowly bring this car back to life.

Trunk light

Click to view attachment

Seatbelt light is fully operational now with the seatbelts.

Click to view attachment
autopro
Getting these put back together without smearing grease all over the place was difficult, lots of paper towels were required. huh.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.