Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1972 914 Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
autopro
My car did not come with a center console but since I really like the look of them I decided to add one. I bought the console from AA and I really like the way it looks and how it is made. My car didn't have the wiring for the instruments or the heater indicator in the harness, so I had to wire all those up also.

Click to view attachment

Wiring on the backside of the instruments

Click to view attachment
autopro
Her it is all wired up. Brackets were made to attach to the existing bolts for the heater lever and the shifter, this way no holes were drilled into the center tunnel in order to mount the console. Sorry I forgot to take pictures of the little brackets that I made.

Click to view attachment

Here just making sure that everything works as it should.

Click to view attachment
autopro
Then after some clean up.

Click to view attachment

The joy of seeing it all nice and tidy didn't last long because I had to remove the console to start working on the center tunnel carpet. Now that I had all the wiring and brackets made, I could fit the carpet. Since I know I might have to take the carpet off again in the future i decided to affix it with Velcro instead of glue.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dstudeba
Very clean!

Yes Spring Valley is very close, I will take you up on your offer when I start work in earnest on mine. Look forward to seeing it when you are done and taking it out in public!
autopro
I got called out by Dion for not keeping up to date on my build thread chair.gif so here goes. I have been working on the car and it's almost finished but I will try and put up the pictures I have in sequence.

For a 72 the correct sill plates should be silver but I wanted to keep with the blacked out look so I decided to purchase the black set from 914 rubber.

Click to view attachment

Then continuing the installation of the center console, I followed some other posts that I found that were very helpful and installed the amp inside the console.

Click to view attachment
autopro
I had to modify my 1.7 engine tins for the new 2.0 heads.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
Here they are all painted and installed, after this I was able to get on with finishing the engine in order to do a test run.

Click to view attachment

Fan shroud and alternator installation

Click to view attachment
autopro
Doing a final valve adjustment and making sure the valve geometry is correct.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
Carburetor installation next.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

autopro
At this stage I was pretty much ready to test run the engine. I extended the wires from the car to the engine that I had mounted on blocks to the side. Hooked up the fuel pump to a gas can and she was ready to go. I was surprised that it fired up right away without cranking the engine over too much.

I had a small oil leak coming from the oil pump so I removed it and put a new gasket in that was a little bit better and it cleared it right up. I kept running the engine like this for a couple of days while adjusting the carburetors and the timing. After I was satisfied that everything was ok it was time to get it into the car.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
But before I put it back into the car I cleaned up the transmission. I had previously sent it to a shop that checked to make sure everything was ok and installed all new seals and gaskets.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

autopro
Sneak peek. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
76-914
QUOTE(autopro @ Feb 2 2023, 11:43 AM) *

@autopro Any updates?
Montreal914
Shows last active February 2023 on his profile... sad.gif

Such a beautiful build, would love to see the car in person. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.