Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1972 914 Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Root_Werks
It's really coming together! What a great color as well!
autopro
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 6 2022, 01:47 PM) *

It's really coming together! What a great color as well!

Thanks there bud, it is coming together but if I remember correctly it came apart much easier and faster WTF.gif
autopro
Started polishing my windows, I found a product at Walmart that is used to clean and polish glass cooktops. I used it with my sponge polishing pad and it worked great.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
I was rebuilding the door stays and to fix the difference in the diameter from the pin to the hole in the arm I used the metal end of a glass fuse.

Click to view attachment

The diameter fit exactly.

Click to view attachment

Glued it in with some GB Weld and then grinded the end off.

Click to view attachment

And the finished product.

Click to view attachment
autopro
Cleaned up my door window lifts and lubed them with garage door lube.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
WOW! so much fun seeing it all come together, you're nearing completion! so many fun small details, looks like you havnt overlooked anything for sure. Is the motor ready to go back in? Axel rebuild is messy for sure!. you'll be back on the road soon.

Phil
autopro
Ok, so seeing all the recent stuff about the door quarter glass seals in the threads lately made me a little bit scared about tackling this job. Luckily I still had my original seals that were in ok shape and they helped me see how I needed to modify the 914 rubber seals.

First I extended the groove for the frame, here you can see it at the bottom.

Click to view attachment

Then came the recess for the front bracket. I trimmed both recesses with an x-acto knife.

Click to view attachment

Recess for the rear bracket

Click to view attachment

Then I had to do some trimming at the front of the seal so that it would sit properly over the metal edge on the door. Just a tiny bit with the x-acto and it was fitting nicely.

Click to view attachment

autopro
Made sure the seal was fitting well in the door before trying to install it with the frame and glass. The trimming was necessary to get it to fit correctly from the begining.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
nice work on those window seals it can be one of the least favorite jobs installing those and the triangle glass and seals, its up there next to air box installation and having your teeth pulled! Hard to believe its been 4 years since your first post!!
DRPHIL914
*deleted- double post*
sorry somehow on refreshing my screen it double posted,
autopro
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 7 2022, 09:48 AM) *

WOW! so much fun seeing it all come together, you're nearing completion! so many fun small details, looks like you havnt overlooked anything for sure. Is the motor ready to go back in? Axel rebuild is messy for sure!. you'll be back on the road soon.

Phil

Hi Phil, the motor still isn't ready, I need to finish setting up the valve geometry and I haven't bought my adjustable pushrods yet. I need to talk to George at European Motorworks so he can send me a set. Other than that I should have everything else to finish it. beerchug.gif

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 7 2022, 10:03 AM) *

nice work on those window seals it can be one of the least favorite jobs installing those and the triangle glass and seals, its up there next to air box installation and having your teeth pulled! Hard to believe its been 4 years since your first post!!

Yes, 4 years is a long time. I did stop working on it for about 1 year because I had another project and then I moved also. LOL tell me about the airbox and these seals, at least it hasn't been as bad because I was well prepared from all the great threads on this site.
autopro
Even after the initial trimming, when I put the window into the frame with the bracket I still got a bulge. Took it apart for some more trimming until the bulge was gone.

Here in this picture you can see the bulge right above the bracket.

Click to view attachment
autopro
After all the trimming was done, I was able to get the windows into the frames and the brackets installed, this was about 2 hours worth of work to get them to this stage.

Click to view attachment

Installed the window lift, door stays and inside door handle.

Click to view attachment
autopro
Kept going with my doors yesterday and got quite a bit along. The quarter window and frame went in without too much trouble using some soap for lubrication. Per instructions on here I wrapped it in packing plastic so it wouldn't slip out of the seal.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
From there I moved onto the door window installation. Cut and trim all the new 914 Rubber parts, the aluminum channel, window scrapers and seals.

Click to view attachment

I had to do a little bit of adjustment on the end cap because it wasn't lining up with the aluminum channel.

Click to view attachment
kerensky
Wow, I just skimmed this thread from work, but had to reply so I can find it later and refer back. Wish I had the time and funds to go this deep on mine.
autopro
Then I added a couple of strips of sound deadener material.

Click to view attachment

Next install door windows and make sure they roll up and down without binding. The garage door lubricant I used seems to have worked out well. Pretty happy with the window fitment but I really can't do any more adjustment on it until I get the top on and all the seals installed.

Click to view attachment

Here is a shot of the outer seals installed and trimmed.

Click to view attachment
autopro
QUOTE(kerensky @ Sep 8 2022, 12:44 PM) *

Wow, I just skimmed this thread from work, but had to reply so I can find it later and refer back. Wish I had the time and funds to go this deep on mine.

Well I started buying all the parts for my car from the beginning slowly so it wouldn't hurt as much. Once I had most of what I needed then I really started working on the car. Now it's just a matter of putting time into but doing it myself has really helped with the budget. Hope to see your car on here beerchug.gif
autopro
Couple last ones at the end of the day.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
Moving forward, door seal installed.

Click to view attachment
autopro
Onto the targa seal, good thing 914 rubber had a how to video on this. Had to trim a bit of the metal in order for the seal to fit.

Click to view attachment

Fitting nice

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
Well getting the targa seal on wasn't that bad, the most difficult part was getting the sides in the metal rails to sit properly. That is what took the longest as I was being careful not to scratch the paint on them. I wanted to check the fitment with the window and at first this is how it was.

Click to view attachment

I started playing with it and my solution was to push the window up and then lean it backwards a little bit. This gave me a much better seal but I will play with it some more once I put the car back on the ground.

Click to view attachment

The rear seal is just in place to check the alignment of the window, I'll do a final fit and trim when I get my targa top on. One down, one to go smile.gif

Click to view attachment
autopro
Well I got quite a bit done this past week, first I finished the body work on the bumpers and side skirts and then I painted them. Forgot to take pics after I painted all the parts sad.gif
Mounted all the parts to make sure everything still lined up well.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
Then came the big moment after 4 years on the dolly it was time to put the 914 back on the ground.

Click to view attachment

Wheels on

Click to view attachment
autopro
Finally back on the ground beer3.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
All the painted parts back on. Didn't paint the rear balance because I still don't have the muffler I will be running and I will need to modify it for where the pipes will come out.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
More

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Not sure if I am going to paint these black or not idea.gif

Click to view attachment
autopro
New seals and headliner installed.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
From there I jumped on the engine lid, first I had to paint black under were the grills will be

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
There's many pieces and trims going on with the engine lid, it actually took me all day to put it together.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
All done and ready to go on the car.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

It latches and everything biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
autopro
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
NICE panel gaps! Great work... wub.gif
slowrodent
Excellent work... Beautiful car. Love the paint work!
autopro
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 7 2022, 11:04 AM) *

NICE panel gaps! Great work... wub.gif

Thank you very much, quite an honor coming from you! beerchug.gif

QUOTE(slowrodent @ Nov 7 2022, 11:21 AM) *

Excellent work... Beautiful car. Love the paint work!

Awesome, glad you are liking it beerchug.gif
autopro
Then it was time to add the rain tubes and while I was in there I installed the torsion rods for the trunk lid, not fun and very difficult to do without worrying about damaging something.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
Now it was time to start working more on the interior. I was waiting until I had my windows in and the top installed just because everything gets very dusty here in the shop. Started with the sound deadener.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
Don't know why I didn't take more pictures of the vinyl coverings, but this is the only one I found.

Click to view attachment
autopro
Carpet installation

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

ndfrigi
amazing build!
autopro
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Nov 7 2022, 12:56 PM) *

amazing build!

Thank you very much beerchug.gif

Here are some shots for the installation of the brake lever.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

autopro
Then I installed the back pad and the seats.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
New seatbelt stickers from 914 rubber

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
autopro
For some reason I liked this shot

Click to view attachment
autopro
Seat belt and coat hook

Click to view attachment

Don't know the name of this but I got it installed and the little screws are a real pain, then I had to take it out because I installed the latches the wrong way around headbang.gif

Click to view attachment
autopro
Test fitting the shifter and heater lever to start trimming the carpet for the center tunnel. Also needed to fit them so I could see how I was going to attach the center console.

Click to view attachment
dstudeba
Looking good! Have bookmarked this thread and look forward to reading the entire thing later. I might hit you up for some of your suppliers as I am in IB which is probably close to you.
bkrantz
Looking great!
autopro
QUOTE(dstudeba @ Nov 7 2022, 03:28 PM) *

Looking good! Have bookmarked this thread and look forward to reading the entire thing later. I might hit you up for some of your suppliers as I am in IB which is probably close to you.

Yes, let me know if you need any help, I am in Spring Valley so not far from you.

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Nov 7 2022, 06:06 PM) *

Looking great!

Thanks, I have to say that I follow your thread very carefully and it has helped immensely. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.