Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ivory 1970 914/6 Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
gms
Our Blaupunkt radio guru @Mike Fitton tested the radio and made model year corrections to the knobs and face plate.

Click to view attachment
gms
.Click to view attachment
gms
end cap

Click to view attachment

squeegee and fuzzy

Click to view attachment
Targa70
I think I bought that windshield from Garold about 5 years ago. I fractured the original when I was trying to pull it out of the car in the mid 2000's. Seems like yesterday but at the same time feels like forever ago. Glenn, you do amazing work.
Targa70
@Garoldshaffer
JOEPROPER
Is that an original window end cap? Where did you get it???
gms
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Apr 30 2020, 07:59 AM) *

Is that an original window end cap? Where did you get it???

end cap is a repro from 914rubber
Cracker
Great to hear, sir...I forgot I gave you one of those! Ha.

Tony

QUOTE(gms @ Apr 9 2020, 09:13 PM) *

@Cracker this has become one of the most useful tools i have...Thanks again thumb3d.gif

Click to view attachment

krazykonrad
QUOTE(Cracker @ May 5 2020, 03:26 PM) *

Great to hear, sir...I forgot I gave you one of those! Ha.

Tony

QUOTE(gms @ Apr 9 2020, 09:13 PM) *

@Cracker this has become one of the most useful tools i have...Thanks again thumb3d.gif

Click to view attachment

Headlamps make every job so much easier. I use mine for everything but eating breakfast.
gms
added the replacement handle on the driver's seat

Click to view attachment
gms
sand blasted the new radio face plate

Click to view attachment
gms
Also had issue with the new Porsche trim, so the ends were re-contoured to give a better fit.

Click to view attachment
gms
drilling holds and mount muffler shield

Click to view attachment
gms
gms
I am not so happy with the door pocket, time to call @GaroldShaffer

Click to view attachment
gms
feeding the wires thru the scrunchies and thru the carb manifold.
Sadly the ignition switch is not working on the "Run" position so no start up this week and at least 5 days to get a new replacement. mad.gif

Click to view attachment
UROpartsman
Looks like our Ignition Wire Holder 901 609 591 00 there?
gms
QUOTE(UROpartsman @ May 11 2020, 01:11 PM) *

Looks like our Ignition Wire Holder 901 609 591 00 there?

Yes
Targa70
@uropartsman I can't tell you how pleased Glenn and I have been with the URO parts we have been using for this build. It has all fit very well and is close to stock in appearance. I know you probably have multiple suppliers with varied levels of quality and fit, but thus far we have not been disappointed.
UROpartsman
QUOTE(Targa70 @ May 14 2020, 06:43 AM) *

@uropartsman I can't tell you how pleased Glenn and I have been with the URO parts we have been using for this build. It has all fit very well and is close to stock in appearance. I know you probably have multiple suppliers with varied levels of quality and fit, but thus far we have not been disappointed.

Thank you for your feedback Targa70, we're thrilled to be a part of your amazing restoration!
gms
oil hose and air duct

Click to view attachment
gms
New ignition switch has arrived

Click to view attachment
gms

gms
gms
Electricity is coursing thru her wires

Click to view attachment
gms
I received an email with questions:
Wanted to know the color light ivory what brand of paint was that ? there’s so many brands.

Although I did not paint the car I know they used PPG (some prefer Glasurit paint)
OEM code 131,L80E - HELLELFENBIEN

also the under body and fender wells I see the texture on it what type did you use on that under coating then painted over it with the ivory ?
The texture is achieved using Wurth Body Schutz
Tman914
Hello nice build btw I just have a few questions on the paint light ivory what style paint / brand there’s so many brands out there now
Also the under coating texture paint

Thanks for your time
Tman914
Tman914
Ok thanks for the response
Tman914
RoadGlue
pray.gif

Amazing build Glenn!
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ May 18 2020, 01:36 PM) *

pray.gif

Amazing build Glenn!

You! All you have to do is turn on the lights and start it up.
gms
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ May 18 2020, 01:36 PM) *

pray.gif

Amazing build Glenn!

Thanks Randy
beerchug.gif
gms
Last week I encountered a very strange malfunction while assembling the final switching and wiring. The “start” mode of the ignition switch would turn on the headlights and when in “run” mode the headlight switch engaged the starter…yes you read that correctly! I said the STARTER!

My first assumption was a faulty ignition switch because I did not think the wiring harness would be at fault, I was wrong. After installing the new ignition switch the symptoms remained.

Sunday I found that the ignition switch connection that was supposed to go to the relay board was in fact connected to the headlight switch somehow.

Yesterday I enlisted the help of Mark Kinnaman @Bartlett 914 After a couple hours we were able to find the wire that connected to the relay board, it was erroneously connected to the turn signal switch. While running thru the fuse panel a couple other wires were found to be incorrectly connected.

I will put together a report and hopefully Kroon can prevent this from happening on future harness builds.

Thanks Mark!
gms
Just need to swap these 2 wire ends
confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
Luke M
Hi Glenn,

I'm glad you figured out the issue. When was your harness made?
I hope that my new Kroon harness doesn't have this issue.
gms
QUOTE(Luke M @ May 19 2020, 08:38 AM) *

Hi Glenn,

@Luke M I can walk you thru a check of your harness
Luke M
QUOTE(gms @ May 19 2020, 06:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ May 19 2020, 08:38 AM) *

Hi Glenn,

@Luke M I can walk you thru a check of your harness

Sounds good. I'll send you a pm.
gms
Ignition Switch #50
Click to view attachment

Turn Signal 12 pin connector
Click to view attachment
Bartlett 914
I would add that when you turned on the lights. The starter would engage. Real fun!
gms
@Bartlett 914 and I got after the wiring fix last night, headlights work and starter only work when ignition switch is in "START" position. Tracking down the horn issue and then wiring in fog light switch because they setup to run only when high beams are on.

Click to view attachment
gcrotvik
This is good to know. My Kroon 6 harness is still in the box it was shipped in. I purchased it at least 2 years ago. I will have to open it up again and take a look.

Thanks Glenn.

Greg
raynekat
When I built my 71 914-6 conversion, I used a NOS 914-4 wiring harness. I went through the entire harness with a multimeter on my living room floor and checked every wire.

I found 2 that were incorrect. I was able to correct the issue before the harness went in the car and had no electrical issues upon startup.

Those wild and crazy Porsche AG assembly line guys must have hit the Haufbrau Haus early once a week and let their quality slide just a smidge.
gms
@Bartlett 914 custom made a bushing for the hand throttle control.
Thanks Mark!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
gms
The shift lever was too rusty to put in this car so I switch it out.

Click to view attachment
gms
finished installing the last air hose under the dash

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
gms
I was all ready for start-up and then I found a seal on the fuel pump went bad, fuel poured out on the floor.

Click to view attachment
RoadGlue
QUOTE(gms @ May 26 2020, 02:23 PM) *

I was all ready for start-up and then I found a seal on the fuel pump went bad, fuel poured out on the floor.

NOS pump?
gms
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ May 26 2020, 05:24 PM) *

QUOTE(gms @ May 26 2020, 02:23 PM) *

NOS pump?

No it was used, probably dried out over time
Targa70
Glenn, your work is mind blowing. No doubt this baby is in better shape than when it rolled out of the factory.
gcrotvik
QUOTE(gms @ May 24 2020, 08:17 AM) *

@Bartlett 914 custom made a bushing for the hand throttle control.
Thanks Mark!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Are these available? If so, I'd take 2. Glad to pay for custom work.

Greg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.