Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED Foglight Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Spoke
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Nov 11 2019, 11:12 PM) *

Those look great. Should make the drive a little safer. Should I PayPal you the $ now or?

Let me get back to you on this. I need to have the LED fogs completely assembled before asking you to send you lens/bezels to me. this will minimize the disruption in your daily commute.
Tbrown4x4
Sounds good!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 11 2019, 10:06 PM) *

@mepstein
@DRPHIL914
@bahnzai

One other thing with these V2 boards, you'll have to send the glass lens and bezel to me so I can fit these boards myself. I had so much of bitch of time getting Mark's boards to fit that I cannot have you go through this. This will also help me understand how to ease the mounting of these boards in the lens/bezel.

What I will do is replace the gaskets with new 914rubber gaskets and mount the boards. It will ease your installation greatly. If you want as well I can paint (gloss black) the bezel for you if you want.

I can pull my bumpers and fog lights this will and send you what you need, do I send you the whole fog light assembly ?

Just let me know where to send and what to send- or I can wait for the V3 set coming up, either way- also have to pay you too!!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 12 2019, 11:00 AM) *

@mepstein
@DRPHIL914
@bahnzai

One other thing with these V2 boards, you'll have to send the glass lens and bezel to me so I can fit these boards myself. I had so much of bitch of time getting Mark's boards to fit that I cannot have you go through this. This will also help me understand how to ease the mounting of these boards in the lens/bezel.

What I will do is replace the gaskets with new 914rubber gaskets and mount the boards. It will ease your installation greatly. If you want as well I can paint (gloss black) the bezel for you if you want.

I can pull my bumpers and fog lights this will and send you what you need, do I send you the whole fog light assembly ?

Just let me know where to send and what to send- or I can wait for the V3 set coming up, either way- also have to pay you too!!

ready when you are, just PM address etc. have a show on Dec 7 so I would like to ei have you send it to me and let me install it myself if possible.
Phil
Spoke
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 22 2019, 11:28 AM) *

@mepstein
@DRPHIL914
@bahnzai

ready when you are, just PM address etc. have a show on Dec 7 so I would like to ei have you send it to me and let me install it myself if possible.
Phil

I've been waiting on crimp connectors and shrink wrap tubing to finish off the wiring. I need to order some gaskets from 914rubber too. I'll need just the glass lens, reflector and clips from the foglights. I can either leave the bezel rings as is or paint them for you. I should be ready to go this weekend.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 22 2019, 04:51 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 22 2019, 11:28 AM) *

@mepstein
@DRPHIL914
@bahnzai

Phil

I've been waiting on crimp connectors and shrink wrap tubing to finish off the wiring. I need to order some gaskets from 914rubber too. I'll need just the glass lens, reflector and clips from the foglights. I can either leave the bezel rings as is or paint them for you. I should be ready to go this weekend.

Very good, I will pull those today and box them up , PM me with a shipping address and will drop them by UPS store tomorrow.
Phil
DRPHIL914
Jerry,

Pulled my fog light lenses and bezels . I assume you do not need my bulb socket and bulb. I have them packed and ready to go.
Thanks. Please PM me the ship to address.

@Spoke .
Spoke
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 24 2019, 08:38 PM) *

Jerry,

Pulled my fog light lenses and bezels . I assume you do not need my bulb socket and bulb. I have them packed and ready to go.

@Spoke .

PM sent.

I just need the bezel, glass lens, and reflector. I don't need the bulb or socket.

I finally got all the quick disconnect spades ordered and received. The first batch of boards are now done including @mepstein 's.
mepstein
Awesome!
Driving at night on my rural roads, there is no such thing as too much light.
Spoke
Each kit will include 4 quick disconnect spades to be crimped onto the wire that was connected to the bulb socket. The bulb socket is held onto these wires with a small straight screw. Loosen the screw and the bulb socket comes off and leave the wires shown below.

The OEM 12V wiring goes from the cabin to the driver side foglight. Then a separate wire is soldered to the end of the cabin wire (at the driver side foglight) and runs over to the passenger side. Thus the gauge of the 2 soldered wires on the driver side is 2x that of the passenger side.

The yellow sheathed connector is for a heavy gauge wire and goes on the driver side. The blue sheathed connector is for the passenger side. 2 extra connectors will be included just in case there's an issue with the first connectors.
ClayPerrine
How do I get a couple of sets??????

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 24 2019, 09:48 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 24 2019, 08:38 PM) *

Jerry,

@Spoke .

PM sent.

I just need the bezel, glass lens, and reflector. I don't need the bulb or socket.

I finally got all the quick disconnect spades ordered and received. The first batch of boards are now done including @mepstein 's.

PM received, lights boxed and ready to ship today, will get you PP sent this afternoon.

Phil
Spoke
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 25 2019, 08:33 AM) *

I have some V3 boards coming back from the fab house now. These boards are a bit larger (by 0.15 in) and thicker (1.2mm vs 0.8mm) than the first boards. I'll possibly make 5 sets available of the V3 boards. I should have these around Christmas time.

Stay tuned... beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 25 2019, 10:04 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 25 2019, 08:33 AM) *

I have some V3 boards coming back from the fab house now. These boards are a bit larger (by 0.15 in) and thicker (1.2mm vs 0.8mm) than the first boards. I'll possibly make 5 sets available of the V3 boards. I should have these around Christmas time.

Stay tuned... beerchug.gif

I have a couple of Euro front turn signal buckets to send you.

Clay
Spoke
Received @DRPHIL914 's fog lights today. His are a mix of early bezel with late lenses. The gasket used is much different from the 914rubber gasket and went completely around the glass and reflector.

Between the glass and reflector where the 914rubber gasket goes, someone had applied some sort of sealant. Took a razor blade, naphtha, and acetone to get the remnants off. One light had 3 clips and the other had 4 clips.

While scraping off the sealant, I scraped the plastic film off of the glass lens. I was wondering why the lenses looked hazy.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 27 2019, 08:05 PM) *

Received @DRPHIL914 's fog lights today. His are a mix of early bezel with late lenses. The gasket used is much different from the 914rubber gasket and went completely around the glass and reflector.

Between the glass and reflector where the 914rubber gasket goes, someone had applied some sort of sealant. Took a razor blade, naphtha, and acetone to get the remnants off. One light had 3 clips and the other had 4 clips.

While scraping off the sealant, I scraped the plastic film off of the glass lens. I was wondering why the lenses looked hazy.

Sorry about all that extra work, I didn’t know about the sealant etc. bought them as a restored unit. I thing the film on the lenses was for protection against stone chips but probably cut down a lot on light transmission
Should be a lot brighter!!
Spoke
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 27 2019, 08:18 PM) *

Sorry about all that extra work, I didn’t know about the sealant etc. bought them as a restored unit. I thing the film on the lenses was for protection against stone chips but probably cut down a lot on light transmission
Should be a lot brighter!!

Not a problem. For fitment, it's good for me to see what condition some foglights are in. For sure the gasket between the reflector and the glass lens should be new and the type sold by 914rubber. I'm not sure what type of gasket was used on your fogs. It seemed to be made for this application but doesn't work like the original gasket.

You bezels have been painted and I should have everything in the mail by Monday.
Spoke
The foglights for @DRPHIL914 are ready for shipping. The fit was much better than I had expected and the install went smoothly. The bezels were wet sanded and painted and new 914rubber gaskets were installed.

The spacer/alignment piece for the later glass lens is very thick (7mm) which allows the metal clips to hold them instead of the PCBs since these V2 PCBs are about 150mil too small. The thicker spacer doesn't deform with the pressure of the metal clips like the thinner ones printed for the early (deeper) glass lenses. Perhaps I'll stick with the thicker spacers even for the early glass lenses.
DRPHIL914
Wow those are spectacular!!! Really super!! Eventually I will be doing my tail lights but this was more needed, I am sure they will improve visibility immensely! And reall above and beyond touching up the bezels! Thanks so much!

Phil

@Spoke
Spoke
I have the V3 foglight boards back from the fab house and started assembling them.

I plan to make 5 sets of these. I still want to assemble them myself so it would require folks to send me the bezel, glass, and reflector. I'm doing this so I can see for myself if these fit in the enclosure.

For pricing with these V3 boards is this:

$125/pair + $20 shipping includes:
New set of 914rubber gaskets (worth $20)I
You send the bezel, reflector, glass lens to me.
I'll paint the bezel, install the boards and return.

When I feel comfortable with the assembly in these first foglights, the foglights will be generally available for $150/pair.
mepstein
Wow! Thank you Jerry beerchug.gif
bahnzai
Jerry,
Components are packaged and will send out today. I have the bezels, both type lenses, and the reflectors & clips. you should see them in a few days.
Thanks,
Danny
DRPHIL914
Package received today! I will install these tomorrow after work and take some more pictures,

Thanks again Jerry!
Tbrown4x4
Those look great! I sent mine Monday. You should get them Thursday.
I was bummed I forgot to take "before" pictures. sad.gif

And Jerry, I cleaned my lenses and painted the rings. My lenses have the 914Rubber chip guards on them too.
DRPHIL914
This is just the fog lights ... just perfect , now I need the vintage LED headlights!!!
mepstein
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Dec 7 2019, 01:48 PM) *

This is just the fog lights ... just perfect , now I need the vintage LED headlights!!!

agree.gif I plan to use mine like high beams. I’ll turn them off if cars are coming at me.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 7 2019, 03:41 PM) *

agree.gif I plan to use mine like high beams. I’ll turn them off if cars are coming at me.

Used them as driving lights today and I know as I came up behind several drivers moved over as they saw me coming up from behind- that has not been the case even with other fog light and headlights on before, so I think with either then GE nighthawk or Vintage LED will give better visibility for me and to be seen by other drivers.
I know you have the GE ones right? That’s my next purchase after new front strut inserts
mepstein
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Dec 7 2019, 03:54 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 7 2019, 03:41 PM) *

Used them as driving lights today and I know as I came up behind several drivers moved over as they saw me coming up from behind- that has not been the case even with other fog light and headlights on before, so I think with either then GE nighthawk or Vintage LED will give better visibility for me and to be seen by other drivers.
I know you have the GE ones right? That’s my next purchase after new front strut inserts

Yes. They are bright and have a sharp cutoff. 5 minute install. I would buy the again. My day said they were a big improvement on his 2013 Jeep.
mb911
I need to get on these.. I only have 1 fog light so I need to buy another for a core..
Spoke
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 7 2019, 08:40 PM) *

I need to get on these.. I only have 1 fog light so I need to buy another for a core..

I was contacted by another member looking for a set of 914 foglights. Seems there should be a lot available but maybe not. I told him to contact @mepstein or @GaroldShaffer . Maybe Brad @914ltd would have a set or 2.

With the LED foglights, all you need is a decent rear enclosure, glass lens and bezel. The reflector and bulb socket are not used.

Luke M
QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 2 2019, 08:04 PM) *

I have the V3 foglight boards back from the fab house and started assembling them.

I plan to make 5 sets of these. I still want to assemble them myself so it would require folks to send me the bezel, glass, and reflector. I'm doing this so I can see for myself if these fit in the enclosure.

When I feel comfortable with the assembly in these first foglights, the foglights will be generally available for $150/pair.

Hi Jerry,

I want to get in on a set of these led fogs. I have a set of restored fog lights here and 2 or 3 sets that are apart. Which set is best to send you the early round or late round style fogs? Pm me if you like.
Thanks,
Spoke
QUOTE(Luke M @ Dec 9 2019, 01:57 PM) *

Hi Jerry,

I want to get in on a set of these led fogs. I have a set of restored fog lights here and 2 or 3 sets that are apart. Which set is best to send you the early round or late round style fogs? Pm me if you like.
Thanks,

I prefer the early fogs only because the glass lens is deeper inside. However using the best lenses you have would be best.
Luke M
QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 9 2019, 12:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Dec 9 2019, 01:57 PM) *

Hi Jerry,

Thanks,

I prefer the early fogs only because the glass lens is deeper inside. However using the best lenses you have would be best.

Jerry,

This is what I have. I have a set of new tn4 lenses, seals, and clips.
I know I have a few more someplace but can't seam to find them.
I can send a set of tn1 lenses if those are better to use.
LMK
mb911

@spoke all I have is 1 good enclosure and 2 bezels.. I need to find 1 more enclosure and buy 2 new lens..

Let me know if anyone has an extra.
bahnzai
Ben,
I think I have an extra enclosure for you. I may have an extra set of yellow lenses too. It will be Monday before I am back in where I can check.
mb911
QUOTE(bahnzai @ Dec 13 2019, 05:35 AM) *

Ben,
I think I have an extra enclosure for you. I may have an extra set of yellow lenses too. It will be Monday before I am back in where I can check.

@bahnzai thanks let me know..
Spoke
Danny's @bahnzai foglights are done. Lenses are amber and in great shape with new gasket; bezels were already painted. Only took a few minutes to install. These smaller V2 boards are barely secured by the clips. The boards are screwed into the spacers so not a big deal if the clips don't touch the boards.
Spoke
This is the color of the light through the amber lens. The lens is an early 914 lens.

Spoke
I burn in each set for at least 1 hour before shipping. Total current draw for both foglights is 1.2A @ 13.8V or 8.3W per foglight. They're brighter than the 35W bulbs and draw much less current.
914forme
@MB911 if you don't have one, I have spare pieces both early and late, just let me know. @spoke , get my set out this weekend.
Spoke
Todd's @Tbrown4x4 foglights are done. The lens is early amber, the gasket is new and the bezel has been painted.
mepstein
I like the amber lens. smilie_pokal.gif
I wonder how it would look with a chrome trim ring. idea.gif
Spoke
I'm assembling the V3 version of the foglight. These ones have all the surface mount parts on the same side as the LEDs for one-step assembly. Also the PCB is 150mil larger to match up with the spacer ring giving more PCB coverage for the spring clips.

Spoke
The V3 PCB is also a little bit thicker for more rigidity. Here's the V3 mounted in an early bezel. The spring clips do not secure the board very well.

Turns out the thickness of the spacer (needed to clear the LED lenses in the later glass lens) and the larger PCB makes it harder for the clips to secure the board.
Spoke
So making the PCB larger and thicker made it incompatible with the spring clips. Fixing one issue created another issue. So the solution is to notch out the boards where the clips go and rely on the screws to hold the board to the spacer ring.
Spoke
This is how the boards will be made with 4 notches for the 4 retainer clips. I made a jig to mark how the boards will be cut and use a Dremel tool to make the cuts. This set of foglights is for @Luke M. When I run out of the V3 boards, I think I'll reduce the new board's diameter by 150mil to the original size and add in the notches.
Luke M
QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 21 2019, 07:52 AM) *

This is how the boards will be made with 4 notches for the 4 retainer clips. I made a jig to mark how the boards will be cut and use a Dremel tool to make the cuts. This set of foglights is for @Luke M. When I run out of the V3 boards, I think I'll reduce the new board's diameter by 150mil to the original size and add in the notches.

Hi Jerry,

I got the new early/tn1 lenses in from 914rubber. I still need to locate my other set of late/tn4 fog lights. Once I find them I'll box and ship them out to you.

santa_smiley.gif Merry Christmas
Spoke
Just received @eric9144 's foglights to convert to LEDs. This set is the best I've ever seen. Almost no wear and the lenses are quite clean.
eric9144
piratenanner.gif
Spoke
@eric9144 's LED foglights are ready to ship. Only thing to do now is a 1+ hour of burn in just to make sure everything is good.

This was the last prototype 914 foglight I planned to make. Seems everyone was able to get them installed and they work well so I will make this available on my website.

Because of the tricky nature in getting the clips off and especially back on with the LEDs inside, I'm going to keep requiring folks to send the lens/bezel/reflector to me so I can put the LED assembly together. This way installation on the car will be much easier for the owner.

Likely I'll have 2 options: one with new 914rubber gaskets and one with user provided gaskets. The gaskets must be like new and be the type 914rubber sells. For no charge I'll paint the bezel if desired.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.