Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dt4's 914 journey
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Bleyseng
Where did you source that vinyl?? Been looking for that late rough pattern for awhile.
dt4
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 26 2020, 09:07 PM) *

Where did you source that vinyl?? Been looking for that late rough pattern for awhile.

A place in the UK called Martrim, they said it was Ford roof vinyl
I wanted something that resembled the targa top finish and this was closest
falcor75
Looking great, keep up the progress. smile.gif
dt4
I’m glad that’s over
Sail panel and roll bar covered
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
dt4
Also added my Dads old Automobile Association badge
He had it on all his cars up to passing away in 2018Click to view attachment
wysri9
Lovely work - my vinyl time approaches....similarly apprehensive!

beerchug.gif
dt4
Added the seat belts and interior seals and trim so the roof can be fitted and not clutter up the garage etc ...
Click to view attachment
Also fitted the headlights and wired up all the lights
The headlights aren’t functioning yet and whilst the Side lights are working fine the indicators aren’t flashing so there’s more to do there
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
dt4
My Mrs made me a tool roll and a bag for the jack
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
dt4
I now having functional lightsClick to view attachment

Although the red lights should be on on both sides not the amber Click to view attachment
Frankvw
compliments for the progress, but for sure compliments to your Mrs for that nice toolbag she created !
dt4
Thanks Frank
The tool bag is great, her hobby is sewing and making aprons and bags for craft fairs so it has turned out really nicely.
The tools were my Dads, he never got to see this car so by using his old AA badge and the tools in the tool bag it keeps his memory going
dt4
Removed the dash so I could fit the dash cover and the windscreen seal Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
dt4
I did some work getting the dash in shape, I cut down a seal for the screen to dashboard and used some remaining vinyl for the back of the dash
I tidied up the gauges and the surround and refitted it along with my repaired dash top
I made a plate up to fit the DIN slot as the radio I picked up needed something to mount to
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=747
773]
Frankvw
Great progress....this thing is coming together in no time :-)
Do you not have a job that you can build this fast ?? :-)
porschetub
QUOTE(dt4 @ May 29 2020, 06:34 AM) *

Also added my Dads old Automobile Association badge
He had it on all his cars up to passing away in 2018Click to view attachment

We had the same badge here in New Zealand,very cool.
Cars looking great by the way smilie_pokal.gif .
dt4
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Jun 9 2020, 06:41 PM) *

Great progress....this thing is coming together in no time :-)
Do you not have a job that you can build this fast ?? :-)

I have been working from home for 12 weeks so I am done and dusted by 5pm each day and can get in the garage for a couple of hours
dt4
I managed to lift the tank into the front without having to disconnect the fuel lines
It was hard work with half a tank of fuel
Click to view attachment
I put the air box together using some contact adhesive to keep the grill in place and then went for it
It took about 15 minutes of pushing and levering but went in pretty easy
Click to view attachment
dt4
It was harder to put the parts in than it was to get the air box in
Click to view attachment
dt4
Another job completed that I wasn’t looking forward to
I need the seals for the outside but I wanted to figure out how it goes together Click to view attachment
dt4
Got the ventilation control unit sorted out in the end
Click to view attachment
dt4
Got the centre console fittedClick to view attachment
dt4
Managed to get the windscreen wash all piled up and working plus the door open sensors wired up to the buzzer in the relay
Also used the left over vinyl from the tool roll to cover the exposed sections in the cabin Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
dt4
Fitted the back pad and light today
Also picked up some 996 mats for $10 as a temporary measure Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Nacho
She's looking really good! first.gif a lot better since I last driving.gif her here in Cali. Ironically it's the only 914 I've ever driven. beerchug.gif I have a rule "Never drive other people's cars" peer pressure kicked in on this one av-943.gif

-Nacho
dt4
Hey @Nacho was that on the WCR in June last year with chi-town?
how did it drive?
I have only driven it in and out of my garage so i have a lot to look forward to
Nacho
@dt4 she drove great! and like a typical rookie I shifted into 4th instead or 3rd lol-2.gif chi_town only knows how to build cars the right way! You have a solid car to enjoys for many years!

-Nacho
dt4
With the exception of a rear bumper top and a few bit’s and pieces to be ordered from 914rubber it’s just about complete
I can’t have it inspected and register it over here until the bumper top is fitted as it houses the license plate lights plus I need to figure out the rear lights for the uk requirements Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
porschetub
How do you go about getting it on the road in the UK ? over here we have the same as your MOT but ours is called a WOF (warrant of fitness ) which is stricter than that for a registered car,any modifications have to be inspected by a engineer and if up to spec for the compliance engineer a modification plate is riveted on,in my case it will be engine,brakes, suspension and wheels and the kicker is that each item has to be checked off separately so it is more $$$.
Hope you have an easy time getting on the road,great work done in a short time and nice car by the way beerchug.gif .
dt4
I made a new flap for the passenger side visor, I had to hinge it at the top Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
dt4
I made a couple of brackets to take a side light bulb and fit them into the front light buckets
Don’t know what the tester will make of the amber side markers
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Frankvw
"Don’t know what the tester will make of the amber side markers"
In the past that was an issue as well in the Netherlands, not allowed. Then I think Volvo came with these sidelights on their new cars, and they were approved and after that it was allowed.
My VW T2b has original red illuminated rear side markers. That was not allowed back then, so I had to cut the wire during the test and then it was just a reflector smile.gif
Now that is also allowed over here.
dt4
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Aug 9 2020, 10:56 AM) *

"Don’t know what the tester will make of the amber side markers"
In the past that was an issue as well in the Netherlands, not allowed. Then I think Volvo came with these sidelights on their new cars, and they were approved and after that it was allowed.
My VW T2b has original red illuminated rear side markers. That was not allowed back then, so I had to cut the wire during the test and then it was just a reflector smile.gif
Now that is also allowed over here.

The MOT guy is some one I have known for 40 years, we played in the same pub football team and he has done my MOTs for all that time so he allows me some lea-way especially when I he is advising me on what needs fixing and what is advisory.

The side markers didn't receive comment, the amber in the front lights did.
My main issue was the parking brake / handbrake - it was at 100% on the drivers side but not releasing fully due to the cable pushing back into the outer sheath and was only at 20% on the passenger side

I have just received replacement cables so I'll fit them and see how it performs
dt4
New cablesClick to view attachment
Frankvw
welll...'just' the handbrake at the test is a great score after all the work you did !
After your work, the handbrakecables are not the biggest job to finalize !!!
Good luck.
wysri9
Agreed - that is a great result! Well done. I also have a "friendly" MOT man - I hope he is as sympathetic as yours...... smile.gif
dt4
Lost a circlip and the targa latch kept flying apart
A quick, for pennies, replacement star push washer has rescued the dayClick to view attachment
Frankvw
good. Did the new handbrake cables solve your handbrake issue ? did you end up with Porsche or Dansk cables ?
dt4
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Sep 14 2020, 07:29 PM) *

good. Did the new handbrake cables solve your handbrake issue ? did you end up with Porsche or Dansk cables ?

havent taken it back for retest yet as I am waiting for the registration documents to come through but the drier side releases now so thats sorted one side out
They arent Porsche cables but not sure what make they are, they were identical to the cables that came off the car
dt4
Not registered and can be driven on the roadClick to view attachment
ndfrigi
yehey! congratulations! I saw your car at the seller’s house here before it was ship.
dt4
if you speak to Dylan, let him know it will be being driven in the UK this weekend approximately 15 months since it was driven on the WCR last June
ndfrigi
QUOTE(dt4 @ Oct 1 2020, 12:16 PM) *

if you speak to Dylan, let him know it will be being driven in the UK this weekend approximately 15 months since it was driven on the WCR last June

Sure! I think he will see this post also. Although lately he’s been quiet in this forum.
dt4
Went out for a drive
Click to view attachment
dt4
Why do the photos always get turned through 90 degrees WTF
Gint
QUOTE(dt4 @ Oct 11 2020, 06:37 AM) *

Orientation issues between various platforms.

https://www.ivertech.com/Articles/Image-Rot...Windows-10.aspx
bkrantz
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 11 2020, 07:52 AM) *

QUOTE(dt4 @ Oct 11 2020, 06:37 AM) *

Orientation issues between various platforms.

https://www.ivertech.com/Articles/Image-Rot...Windows-10.aspx

What works for me is to open the jpeg file before posting, rotate the photo through 360 degrees, save and close.
dt4
went on a run to the coast, the longest run to date at around 150 miles round trip
the car ran great although the speedo stopped working, there is an annoying squeak behind my head and the passenger visor drops down and knocks the rear view mirror out of position and wont stay up
dt4
Heater tubes are back from powder coating Click to view attachment
Dobbsy
Nice to see your progress, where did you get the flexible ducting hose from, I will be need some soon.
dt4
QUOTE(Dobbsy @ Jul 7 2021, 05:38 PM) *

Nice to see your progress, where did you get the flexible ducting hose from, I will be need some soon.

I got it from my auto supply shop, the best round here - Auto Spares Kippax (ASK)
They had it in 55mm and 60mm so perfect for the hoses from the fan to the tubes and from the flapper boxes to the tubes in the longs
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.