Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dt4's 914 journey
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
dt4
Rather than having a separate thread for the dash pad I have added the photos here
dt4
Thats better
A reasonable finish and neither too mat or too gloss
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Dion
Car is coming along nicely.
I don’t recall anyone doing a dash repair like that. That looks great in the pics.
Well done. beerchug.gif
daytona
Looks like a great job on the dash. As previously posted; I have never seen a dash repair using this method with seam sealer. Seems like a great idea.
I have two or three derelict cracked dashes that I think I will try your repair method. But what in the world is "dolphin glaze"???
Great work.
Bill.
dt4
Thanks chaps
Bill, dolphin glaze is a product over here which is also called stopper
It's the finishing filler, basically a ready mixed self levelling filler
dt4
I picked a set of letters up for the engine lid
Unfortunately they were gold anodized, a little scratched and the P had been sanded
I used a strong oven cleaner to strip the anodising
Then stuck them on a board to sand then with 1000 and 2000 grit paper, finally polishing them with autosol paste, a polishing head and a dremel
dt4
Click to view attachment
dt4
I had the screen trim and sail panel trim plus other bits and pieces stripped and polished
Also a couple of parts stripped and chromed
No doubt I will have plenty more for them to do in due course but wanted to see what the local supplier could do
dt4
Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
Great job....keep the photos coming.

BTW...love your dash repair and refinish!!!! beerchug.gif

Oscar
dt4
thanks Oscar

I have sourced some fabric to make up a tool roll, so I am collecting the tools to go with it and will also make up a bag for the car jack

I awaiting a sample of hood vinyl to match against the sail panel fabric to see if that can be used

I also have the rear bumper top at a local fibre glass company to see if they can produce a replacement top from the floppy rubber part I have left with them
dt4
Just a bit of fiddling about today

Plus a garage ornament Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
dt4
Since getting car running following the miss connected battery screw up I have given the internal compartments a first coat of paint
dt4
Cabin
dt4
Got the home made wheel covers on and the car on dollies and also masked the car off for additional coats of primer
dt4
Masked for primer coatClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
dt4
First fresh coat of etch primer appliedClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
dt4
I’m still flatting back and primmering the shell, doors and hoods
But had a break today to set up a spray tent Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
dt4
So I have had issues with particles in the paint that weren't there when I painted the interior compartments, I have spoken to my paint supplier and he recognises the particles as yellow pigment that has settled out and then disturbed in mixing the paint.
I will add a straining process to make sure the filter in the gun can cope

I also noticed some mapping on the front and rear trunk lids, this is a big time pain in the arse.
The front lid has had to be totally stripped back to metal due to the location of the mapping, the rear may be salvageableClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
dt4
The rest of the car has had 2 light coats and now needs blocking to remove the paint contamination Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
Your paint supplier thinks its OK ? idea.gif popcorn[1].gif
dt4
I am going to see if the particles dissolve in thinners (I think you call it reducer?)
If they do then there is a case to say I haven't mixed it properly, if they don't then there is a case to say that the paint is questionable.
I know a guy who has a spray paint business and will ask him for a view but with the lockdown as it is over here that's not really viable

I can add a straining process to the overall paint mixing for a couple of £'s and be able to continue
dt4
So, backward steps taken
I had to strip the front and rear hoods back to metal as the filler was mapping, you could see the outline through the primer and the top coat wasn’t fixing it
Basically as I had applied very light amounts of glaze filler over the etch primer in places where the initial filler hadn’t been sufficient the filler was sat on top of the primer and even though additional coats had been applied the filler wasn’t isolated
So back to the drawing board
dt4
On a brighter note, even though there are only 2 coats of colour on the body it polished up quite well in only a few minutes with a DA polisherClick to view attachment
Frankvw
Looking great. you are doing it step by step and over and over :-)
Nice to see the pictures of the progress, thanks !
dt4
Found the time to do a little more painting at the weekend
The rear trunk has turned out OKClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Inspiring as I will need to paint my 914 hopefully this year.
dt4
A little more painting carried out over the weekend Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
dt4
Completed the painting of the shell and put the panels back on
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=744
280]
dt4
On to the targa top, rocker covers and valances tomorrow Click to view attachment
Frankvw
wow, great progress (and color!) .
i am very curious how you will tackle the targatop ....standard black with structure in the paint or in the color of the car ?
dt4
QUOTE(Frankvw @ May 16 2020, 07:48 PM) *

wow, great progress (and color!) .
i am very curious how you will tackle the targatop ....standard black with structure in the paint or in the color of the car ?

I have struggled getting the finish I wanted on the targa top
It had some flat spots as well as texture to the finish, as though it might have been flatted off at some point
I tried to recreate the textured finish by stippling some high build primer when it was still tacky, it was better but not a lot
I then applied some textured truck bed liner paint, that evened things out but the finish was very gritty
Next step was to flat it off slightly with 400 grit on a 6" orbital sander and then spray 3 coats of semi gloss black.
It looks ok for now but I expect I will have another go at it at some point

I painted the rockers covers and valances with the semi gloss black and they came out well right up to the point where I knocked one off the paint stand so that will need repainting mad.gif
Dion
David that’s some tremendous work there.
The paint turned out great. beer.gif
Yes, looking forward to your approach on the targa. Sorry bout the rocker mishap.
Cheers
02loftsmoor
dang what a paint job !!!
dt4
Adding bits each day
The hardest part is finding the parts in the mountain of boxes and figuring out what goes where
Fitting the engine deck was a bitch of a jobClick to view attachment
ValcoOscar
Man on a mission..... first.gif

LOVE that Color!!!! irish914.jpg

Oscar
dt4
Thanks Oscar
One step at a time smile.gif
dt4
Today’s effort
Sill covers fitted plus new front indicators Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Frankvw
looking better every day ! your effort pays off !
Any plans for a PORSCHE script on the sides ?
dt4
Hadnt planned on putting on the side script, I cant decide if its a bit too much.
dt4
Adding bits and pieces each day
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
dt4
Needed to make a bracket for the passenger side Vitaloni mirror that I am using as a temporary measure
dt4
Targa top finished
Rear bumper and valance minus rubber top fitted
Side glass and door mirrors fitted Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Frankvw
Looking really good, a lot of work is in these little things.
I think you have to change the signature from:
1975 1.8 914 trying to get it into primer before the winter
to
1975 1.8 914 trying to get it more beautiful every day
kroelofsen
smile.gif serious progress there... Color looks great and the paint job is well done!
dt4
QUOTE(Frankvw @ May 26 2020, 09:57 AM) *

Looking really good, a lot of work is in these little things.
I think you have to change the signature from:
1975 1.8 914 trying to get it into primer before the winter
to
1975 1.8 914 trying to get it more beautiful every day

Thank you, good pint about the signature
dt4
QUOTE(kroelofsen @ May 26 2020, 10:55 AM) *

smile.gif serious progress there... Color looks great and the paint job is well done!

Thank you
The adhesive for the sail panel vinyl and roll bar top turned up today - gulp - no excuse not to do it now
dt4
Got the vinyl cut and checked for fit
Anxious times
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.