Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Alternator replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cazz
I just bought a 914 that has been converted to a 914-6 with a 2.7 engine

Can the alternator be replaced with the engine in the car or do I need to drop it down/take the engine out
mepstein
In the car is possible. There’s a thread or two. I think Clay wrote one.
Retroracer
agree.gif yes, should not need to drop the engine.

SOme dependency on what intake you are running - carbs are a little easier to get unbolted, injection systems can be more involved. Good luck!

- Tony
Cairo94507
It is do-able. It is a tight fit and a pain in the rear but you can do it. I did it on my last 6 about 30 years ago when I was young, flexible and willing. Today, I would have someone else do it for me. I just can't bend like that anymore. Now I sweat tying my shoes..... beerchug.gif
IronHillRestorations
If you also need to do a valve adjustment, I'd probably drop the engine. To leave the engine in the car you have to take off the induction and fan shroud, which can be as much of a hassle as just dropping the engine.
Luke M
Like Perry just said... It's easier to drop the engine and do it. While there do the valve adjustment. It's way easier then in the car. I can drop my 6 engine by myself in 45 minutes to an hour. Once on the ground the fan housing/alt can be removed in 15 mins. I bet in that 1.5 hour time frame you will still be working away and swearing up a storm.

Here's a few link to view :

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=10187

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=8098

porschetub
Yep,will drive you nuts but it can be done,make sure you re-torque the fan strap to factory specs as it easy to overtighten it and your fan will touch the housing ...ask me how I know,also make sure you have a good ground strap altenator to crankcase as this is important,good luck.
cdn914
Easier to do a thorough job by dropping the engine. You likely will regret trying it with the engine in the car.
PanelBilly
Done it several times. Wouldn’t try unless you have a hole in the firewall to access the front.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.