Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoration Literati914 Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Literati914
Here’s a shot showing how I had to reroute the wiring loom in the engine compartment because it got too bulky for the traditional route and was fouling the trunk hinge on the driver side (because of extra wiring off the battery - more on that later)
Literati914
And I’ve started the dash remodel
East coaster
Looking good!
dstudeba
I am intrigued by your dash remodel. Are you making it up or are you following/modifying a previous example?
Literati914
QUOTE(dstudeba @ Dec 15 2023, 11:09 AM) *

I am intrigued by your dash remodel. Are you making it up or are you following/modifying a previous example?

I guess you'd say I'm making it up, for the dash face: I've basically just taken the existing stock pieces that were covered w/basketweave (and double side taped to the face at the factory) - stripped those and upholstered them with a very thin foam and new vinyl. TBH, I would so much rather just find a matching "saddle" basketweave to use without foam as original. This will look good but the basketweave is just a little more subtle and right. For the top, I've just done the same but with slightly thicker foam.

Then my original upper dash will get a cover-lay shell (original black) and get installed with the original knee pad section below.

Literati914
Quick update :
Got my master cylinder installed, fuel pump mocked up next to the steering rack, installed the pedal box and floor board
Literati914
I installed my upper dash (w/ dash cap), refaced the front after changing my mind on the vinyl.. this wool herringbone material with be on the seat insert also
Literati914
Installed my AF gauge
Literati914
CHT gauge and a voltmeter too
Literati914
I took the main gauges apart and added the strip LEDs for illumination, painted the needles and exterior rings- and of course got them installed (no small feet that), oh and added a silver dot to the combo gauge

Literati914
I’ve also installed some sound deadener to the firewall and floor. I got more to do to the floors and doors but you get the idea. For the stuff on the floor I doubled it up back to back or (sticky side to sticky side) so that it’s not actually stuck to the floor at all and can easily be lifted out to monitor moisture and rust in the future
Literati914
I got the head light buckets etc completely installed as well as the front hood
Literati914
I installed an old stock set of positive side stripes that had dried out in a few spots (didn’t realize it before I started the install).. needless to say they’ll need to be replaced
Literati914
I rebuilt my axle shaft / CV units a few month back and finally got around to getting them installed on the trailing arms.

Before:
Literati914
After:
Literati914
And installed piratenanner.gif
Literati914
Not sure why I never posted that the front suspension had been installed, I did it a couple months ago. These are the later wedge bolt style but I’m contemplating switching over to early struts so I can use my aluminum brembo calipers. I went with the later set cause I had a usable set of late rotors on hand. Turbo Tie rods are present and accounted for too:
Literati914
I also got around to cutting and edging up my blue wool square weave carpets. This pics is before I finished off the edging but gives a good in process shot

Literati914
Here’s a shot of the set installed. Notice I did a little something different at the passengers firewall area.. that area actually has a linear vertical curve, I like it highlighted by the trim and that’s how I did these.
Literati914
I still have some automotive jute style underpayment to cut up and install, haven’t gotten around to it just yet.

The rear and long sections:
gereed75
Beautiful carpet set. Nice work there!
slowrodent
Very impressive restoration thus far. Some personalization which seems to fit your car quite well. Thanks.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Apr 4 2024, 04:45 PM) *

Not sure why I never posted that the front suspension had been installed, I did it a couple months ago. These are the later wedge bolt style but I’m contemplating switching over to early struts so I can use my aluminum brembo calipers. I went with the later set cause I had a usable set of late rotors on hand. Turbo Tie rods are present and accounted for too:

Zims offers a service where they replace the bottom of the early pinch bolt struts and put in the wedge bolt style connectors. The wedge bolt struts are a safer, better design.

Oh, and why do you need to put in the early strust for the Brembo calipers?

2mAn
Went through this whole thread and WOW... from where it started to where it is today, amazing. Nice work!
Literati914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 5 2024, 01:41 PM) *

Zims offers a service where they replace the bottom of the early pinch bolt struts and put in the wedge bolt style connectors. The wedge bolt struts are a safer, better design.

Oh, and why do you need to put in the early strust for the Brembo calipers?

I had no idea that Zims did that alteration .. but I’ve seriously considered making the changes myself. Shouldn’t be too hard, plus I could raise the spindles at the same time idea.gif

Btw - Eric at PMB did a caliper weight brake down sometime back and mentioned that the aluminum Brembos (Alfa GTV6) were only compatible with early struts on the 4 lug cars. I think there’s an offset difference at the caliper mounting point confused24.gif

Literati914
QUOTE(2mAn @ Apr 5 2024, 04:01 PM) *

Went through this whole thread and WOW... from where it started to where it is today, amazing. Nice work!

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement!

Literati914
I messed around and reupholster my seats over the last couple days

Literati914
They’re not bolted to the sliders yet, but I couldn’t resist setting them in the car for a look see biggrin.gif
Literati914
I somehow acquired a partial Tangerine Racing SS fuel line replacement kit .. it only had the tunnel lines and I’d installed them several months ago. I knew eventually I’d have to do something about the shorter pieces that go up thru the engine shelf and to and from the fuel rails. So I happened to have some 3/8” tubing and custom bent up the feed line. For the return side (get this) I used the metal part that was fused to the front of the original return fuel line (CSOB lol-2.gif ). I just had to put a few bends in it, and good to go!

Literati914
Small job completed today - replaced the bushings for my shift rod coupler… well replace is not exactly accurate since there was no sign of any bushing at all to begin with.. didn’t take a bunch of pics, but this one shows the new bushings as I’m about to press the pin back into the assembly. Little steps, but it’s something.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.