Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914Club Calender
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
bd1308
we honestly should do a calender with member's cars in it..... or something.

Meredith
Care to take on the project?
tat2dphreak
I say the calendar should be the female members with 914s... drooley.gif

cool_shades.gif

I think we talked about that before though.. don't remember why it got shit-canned
bd1308
yeah i wasnt going to start that convo back up, but i do notice we have some pretty women around here
bd1308
well okay, i suppose i would need 12 914 pictures and/or 12 member pics......

and then i could compile them into a calender.

smile.gif it looks sweet...in my head.
Meredith
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jul 5 2005, 02:33 PM)
I say the calendar should be the female members with 914s... drooley.gif

Shoot...I don't qualify. I'm just a lowly 914 groupie. biggrin.gif
bd1308
surely somebody has a 914 you could borrow....
SLITS
QUOTE (Meredith @ Jul 5 2005, 02:52 PM)
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jul 5 2005, 02:33 PM)
I say the calendar should be the female members with 914s...  :drooley:

Your cute enough.....borrow a teener.
bd1308
coldheartly agree..
SLITS
Hah, got ya beat...I'm just a drooley.gif lecher!
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jul 5 2005, 01:55 PM)
...I'm just a lowly 914 groupie.   biggrin.gif

Your cute enough.....borrow a teener.

She should borrow her dad's. It's cute enough, too!!!

(That car makes me drool!! drooley.gif No, dearest attorney--it's just the car! Really!! chair.gif )

--DD
Mueller
what about us guys that want to pose with our cars??? biggrin.gif laugh.gif icon8.gif

a few more situps and I'm ready to w00t.gif
SLITS
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jul 5 2005, 02:59 PM)
what about us guys that want to pose with our cars??? biggrin.gif laugh.gif icon8.gif

a few more situps and I'm ready to w00t.gif

barf.gif

Not unless you can buff up your pecks enough to wear a bra!
Jenny

Fear not, Mer. I was a "lowly 914 groupie" for many many moons before I finally became an owner. I think I was actually dubbed the official rennlist 914 groupie. wacko.gif

Jen
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jul 5 2005, 05:33 PM)
I think we talked about that before though.. don't remember why it got shit-canned

it didn't. it simply never achieved critical mass.

here's the choices: somebody gets to pony up a big chunk of change to get 12-14 high-quality color separations made and then pay a litho house something like $15 each to make a 1000-unit press run. and risk having a shitload of unsold $20 calendars. i don't see a lot of people able *and* willing to take on a $15k initial investment for that approach.

Approach Two: you find someone with a large-format high-quality printer, like a XeroX/TektroniX wax-deposition printer who's willing to do it on a "print-on-demand" basis. that equipment is expensive, as is the high-quality paper, and the "ink" will run you about $2/page. you might be able to find a repro shop like a Kinko's with a sufficiently large printer if you're in a big city, but i bet they'd still cost you $20 a piece to make. add $10 for shipping and you might break even.

great concept, and i'd be glad to contribute some art to the project, but i'm in no position to sponsor it, much less bankroll the whole thing.

if someone can present a financial and production model that doesn't involve someone losing a shitpile of money, speak up here. July is *not* too early to get the ball rolling...
GTeener
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 5 2005, 01:38 PM)

You can make it really easy by using this company's service. (BTW- I'm not affiliated in anyway)

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/customize/prod...lear=true&no=75
Mueller
QUOTE (GTeener @ Jul 5 2005, 03:32 PM)

You can make it really easy by using this company's service. (BTW- I'm not affiliated in anyway)

pretty darn cool there Gwen...thanks smilie_pokal.gif
MoveQik
I can't guarantee that he'll do it, but my uncle does this sort of thing for a living.(and he is usually willing to help out a nephew in need!) His work is awesome. I will talk to him and see what it would involve and what the most cost effective way to do it would be. You can check out his work at:
www.metcalfdesigninc.com
GTeener
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jul 5 2005, 02:39 PM)
QUOTE (GTeener @ Jul 5 2005, 03:32 PM)

pretty darn cool there Gwen...thanks smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks Mike. I thought so too. I just ordered a gift type itme to sample their quality.

They take care of everything except the design work. My creative 914 juices get flowing every time I visit that site cool.gif
scotty b
I thought it a good idea before and I think it a good one now! Who was it a few months back that posted someINCREDIBLE pics of his red teener? I believe he was a professional photographer? Maybe he could take some pics at one of the get togethers. Here is one of his pics
GTeener
If you use CafePress.com services you just need 12 pictures @ 200 dpi and I don't know what the dimensions are but I'm sure they specify that too.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (GTeener @ Jul 5 2005, 08:20 PM)
If you use CafePress.com services you just need 12 pictures @ 200 dpi and I don't know what the dimensions are but I'm sure they specify that too.

200 dpi?

if they're bigger than postage stamps, watch out for pixelation...
300 dpi used to be my minimum for the newsletter, and those were small pictures...
bondo
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jul 5 2005, 05:23 PM)
QUOTE (GTeener @ Jul 5 2005, 08:20 PM)

200 dpi?

if they're bigger than postage stamps, watch out for pixelation...
300 dpi used to be my minimum for the newsletter, and those were small pictures...

If it's per inch why does the size of the picture matter?
GTeener
OK, now you made me go look it up dry.gif

Their Calendar template specifies 13 pictures (one for a cover I guess)

11.4"W x 9"H (trimmed to 11"x8.5") @ 200 DPI or PPI

2300 pixels W x 1800 pixels H

Certainly wouldn't hurt to have higher resolution pictures but they do have to be uploaded, so file size could be a factor.

"CafePress.com recommends shop owners create their images at 200 DPI to maximize CafePress.com product quality and image upload efficiency. We have run extensive end to end tests on all our products and have found that there is no discernable print quality difference gained by exceeding the 200 DPI recommendation."

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/info/sell/imag...ges/help_images

OK, on your marks, get set, go!
morph
I would just use pictures of the cars themselves, without girls and such, I've seen lots of calendar worthy pictures posted on various threads.

HIEDI
bd1308
wow.

Maltese Falcon
If they weren't too costly I'd proll'y take 25 - 50 to send as New Year perks to my warehouse distributor cust'rs rolleyes.gif
I thought of doing up my 914 as a calendar deal-but don't have the time.
MF
VegasRacer
We have talked about a calendar every year. chatsmiley.gif
Now is the time. smilie_pokal.gif Let's do it.

We need to decide if we want just cars or cars + models.
We can have people submit photos and then vote on the best.
bd1308
yeah. we should do that. anybody have pics? Meredith, i know you will be able to borrow a car.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (bondo @ Jul 5 2005, 08:28 PM)
If it's per inch why does the size of the picture matter?

because those "extensive end to end tests" that CafePress talks about typically depend on the "optimal viewing distance" being approximately equal to the diagonal size of the image. we tend to look at small images from farther away than that, and larger images rather closer. the closer you look at a lo-res image, the more pixelation and jaggies you will see.

but it's been a few years since i was a professional photographer, and months since i was a newsletter editor, so WTFDIK?

in the final analysis, someone will check out the samples and decide if the quality and value are acceptable. if so, we go, if not, we look for alternatives.
bd1308
jaggies....is that a technical term?

smile.gif
VegasRacer
Here is another Custom Calendar Printing Company that looks pretty good.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 6 2005, 08:45 AM)
jaggies....is that a technical term?

as a matter of fact ...
Kerrys914
Best of luck guys.

The biggest issue I had when trying to do a calanger was the image sizes. I could only get a handfull of photo's that woul actually look good when printed close to 8x10.

I even tried to add a 1" border to make smaller photos work...Looked cheesy headbang.gif

I also tried to have 2-4 smaller photos for one month to keep the required photo size down...Took alot of work and I am better with a wrench then Graphics sad.gif

There area lot of GREAT phot's out here but they are just too dam small.

BUT..............

If everyone that can takes some high res photo's over the next few months (until Oct) maybe it will be possible. I think I have 2 high res photos from the last (my) calender try.

Cheers aktion035.gif beerchug.gif
Mrs. K
Mmmmmm? How about this lol3.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Mrs. K @ Jul 6 2005, 08:40 AM)

smilie_pokal.gif EXACTLY! happy11.gif

if it's all cars, that's fine too, or if we can get some volunteers for a few of the months, that would be nice too...
ClayPerrine
How about a calendar of the

Joe Ricard
I really just want to buy one no time to do any of the work.
xitspd
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 6 2005, 05:48 AM)
How about a calendar of the

Clay,

I like it! Sounds more like a concept for a monthly magazine or a television mini-series!

Dan
ClayPerrine
I was thinking more along the lines of T-Shirts with the toolwench logo on them for the females in our lives. biggrin.gif

BTW.. the Original Toolwench already has one with this logo on it.

Cano
Since this would be a 914 club calender, I think it is important to accurately represent the true cross section of 914s owned by club members. In other words, roughly half of the photos should illustrate 914s holding down jackstands, or with rotten hell holes and longs, etc. biggrin.gif In fact, I nominate my car, as in its current state it would perfectly illustrate one of the cold and dark winter months as it awaits rebirth in the spring. wink.gif Heavy.
bd1308
yeah rigth man. your car looks CLEAN! I wish you coudl do my car wink.gif
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE (Mrs. K @ Jul 6 2005, 05:40 AM)

that TAIL looks Hawt!!! laugh.gif wub.gif lol2.gif clap.gif
Jake Raby
I'd share part of the costs if one month had a big ole honkin MassIVe Type IV as the pic...
Joe Ricard
Jake I'd rather see a big ole smoky burn out. burnout.gif or a blur of 914 scooting through AX cones with a ridiculously low time on the score board. Howabout you do the burn out and I'll post the low time. all with your 3.0L motor rocking nana.gif
neo914-6
Here are some suggestions if we don't limit the calendar to "pin-up" type.

Set a time period ~ 4-6 weeks of submissions, then the garage can all take a week to vote for 12 images. We could even "create" extra months since we need more time to work on our cars. laugh.gif

Any 914 in any state with or without people/person

Any 914 enthusiast

A 914 gathering

914 related humor

An artistic photo

914 art work rolleyes.gif
GTeener
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Jul 6 2005, 10:10 AM)
Here are some suggestions if we don't limit the calendar to "pin-up" type.

Set a time period ~ 4-6 weeks of submissions, then the garage can all take a week to vote for 12 images. We could even "create" extra months since we need more time to work on our cars. laugh.gif

Any 914 in any state with or without people/person

Any 914 enthusiast

A 914 gathering

914 related humor

An artistic photo

914 art work rolleyes.gif

Great idea Felix.

Should we all send our pictures to you?

Please specify file type & size requirements & picture dimensions...and the deadline smile.gif
joea9146
Keep it Simple Go to Shutterfly can create 12-18 month calanders and I believe u can start the year where ever you want to
http://www.shutterfly.com/calendars/index.jsp
GTeener
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 6 2005, 07:15 AM)
I was thinking more along the lines of T-Shirts with the toolwench logo on them for the females in our lives. biggrin.gif

BTW.. the Original Toolwench already has one with this logo on it.

How about a club wrench? biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
I could handle a sweet pic of the monster burnout- No sweat.... All i need for that is the 2316!

The 3.0 is in the beetle, don't think you guys want a bug on yer calendar do ya??LOL..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.