Full Version: Fiberglass Sheridan front end - P 7 /8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
914forme
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 31 2020, 01:54 AM) *

QUOTE(PlaysWithCars @ Aug 30 2020, 11:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Aug 28 2020, 06:01 PM) *

Did you weight the carbon hood and trunk? I gotta know.... chowtime.gif

What's the difference compared to stock steel? Assuming its a meaningful amount for the factory to do it on the GT cars.

l have getty carbon fiber and real factory GT lids..the factory ones are lighter..super thin and delicate..

Yeah I transported that exact set of Factory GT hoods from Dayton Ohio to Atlanta, I know them well. Extremely light and you can see pictures of them distorted at speed.

Remember picking them up and thinking they weigh less than a gallon of milk.
Matty900
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 1 2020, 01:33 PM) *

We have completed the 1st round of the light weight ones and unfortunately Matt painted them before we got them weighed. but will have that when I get back Wed. We are also doing a reinforced "heavier" panel that is a little more rigid. More to come this week

These are the weights before anything done to them
Matty900
10.20-10.25 on the rear
Matty900
11.45 -11.55 on the front
Matty900
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 2 2020, 03:10 PM) *

11.45 -11.55 on the front

Mikey914
Hate to say it but the carbon fiber ones will actually be lighter I was working on these today and found that when the carbon fiber got laid up it got bonded to the fiberglass substructure not a carbon fiber one. I will have final weights tomorrow.
-Mark
Mikey914
OK
So the weights are as follows -These are nominal and may very slightly with amount of bonding material used.

Front hoods

Haltbar Glass -
Front hood with headlights - 12.2#
Front hood headlight delete - 12.4#

Carbon fiber -
Front hood with headlights - 10#
Front hood with delete - 10.1#

Rear deck lid

Haltbar Glass -
Rear hood - 10.9#

Carbon fiber -
Rear hood - 9.8#

There a a full write up I'm doing on the Haltbar glass panels we are making. We have committed to a very large quantity of materials to be able to make these, and will be using them for all of our products moving forward. We will have these in this next week to be able to start production.
Garland
cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
pete000
Stock lid weights?
Mikey914
Unfortunately I don;t have a stock hood laying around to weigh, but I have a front on a parts car that I can check later today.

We are just working on finalizing prices now. There will be a few options -

1) Skins only -no substructure. These were how Sheridan made them. Will require Dzus screws and putting metal mounting tabs on your body. This is more of a race application. Will NOT bolt on with stock mounts.

2) Ultralight version - Has a substructure like factory and bolts right on. If you want to cut and buff these hard you will want to use a "bean bag" to support them as they will flex with pressure, but are the lightest version (both Haltbar and carbon fiber).

3) Stock with support rib - Mounts like stock, we are adding an additional support rib in hard foam that will not add a lot of weight, but is an additional cost as well as rigidity.

4) GT using balsa made to look like a GT hood

We plan to produce in either a white gel coat or grey prime gel coat. The carbon fiber will be visible on the underside. Support structures we plan to do in black gel coat.

There will be an option for a cosmetic carbon fiber surface, this will be the most expensive as it can be very labor intensive.

As you can see it's not just a matter of front or back, but other choices that create costs. So this is why we are offering a "menu" on these

We will be finalizing this this week.
Mark

PS we have a new process and materials that will make the "fiberglass" option much more durable
We call it -

Haltbar Panel - They are more durable than standard fiberglass panels. We are actually switching ALL of our fiberglass over to this. We are also setting up test beds to actually show you why it's better. This process will be a month or so out, but this should change the way you look at fiberglass.
914forme
dry.gif Nothing like Germaning it up.

Haltbar is durable to all you English speakers out there. More direct translation would be keeps for a long time.

And what I hear you saying is it will be a Group buy sometime in November so I can add it to my Christmas List for Santa.
Mikey914
Actually not.

It will be sooner. We are cutting more support structure metal (for mounting) now and WILL be in production this month. We have also added some new spoilers and parts too.

We had hoped to be making these now but we are within a week of being able to produce in mass.

Also on the Haltbar, it's not just a name change, but different materials, and layup techniques that make it stronger. We are switching out all of our production to this version moving forward as it a significant improvement in strength and flexibility.
frankiec@outrageous.net
Bump
Jetsetsurfshop
poke.gif
Mikey914
Ready to make parts just not listed yet,
Either way tomorrow I will open this up.
Mark
914forme
QUOTE(pete000 @ Sep 4 2020, 12:22 AM) *

Stock lid weights?

Front Steel was about 33# bare

The Rear Decklid was 31# bare

Might be a pound or two off due to having to hold it to keep it on the scale.

arvcube
I'm looking for a rear trunk lid. Perfect timing smile.gif
Alain V.
patiently waiting here too.....
going to need at least one front and one rear lid,,,,,,,possibly two
Mikey914
As promised I have PM'd everyone on these with the pricing. Unfortunately some of the packaging details and shipping have yet to be finalized. The crating if we can make something that complete is less than 75# for a set (and I think we can), will keep out of the overweight category, The size we need to minimize to get into 1st oversize for Fedex otherwise LTL may be cheaper (or Greyhound) We have some research to do on that one.
So getting these listed up correctly on the website has been a hassle. I will have it up late this next week. I know a few of you want these fro events so I fired off the PM's.

We were able to get the price point down on the carbon fiber, and the Haltbar program is not far off the carbon fiber so It didn't make sense to really make a product that was similar in performance that was only a little less expensive.

A few questions to answer

You do not need pits to hold down the ones with substructure as the will use the front latch.

We are also working on a lighter duty spring to open the lighter hoods with much less force as it's a bit crazy with the light weight hoods.

More soon

But we are ready for production on these now!
And a few others are coming on line too

tazz9924
Ooo are those door skins i spy? i could be in the market for those, im also eargly awaiting the deck lids with the spoiler if you have any plans to make them.
daytona
Just found this thread. I would be interested in front and rear set GT style depending on the price. Don't know if anyone has asked about shipping cost. Any idea on that?
Bill.
JamesM
Also in the market for front and rear carbon or fiberglass. Depending on price.
Mikey914
QUOTE(daytona @ Sep 26 2020, 07:00 AM) *

Just found this thread. I would be interested in front and rear set GT style depending on the price. Don't know if anyone has asked about shipping cost. Any idea on that?
Bill.

We have to build them 1st to determine exactly what the costs are. They are in the next round. We decided to scale up production for these 1st. It will be about 2 weeks before I will have a definitive answer.
-Mark
Jetsetsurfshop
Working on what to order. Had some questions.

I assume this looks like our factory steel lids?
2) Ultralight version - Has a substructure like factory and bolts right on. If you want to cut and buff these hard you will want to use a "bean bag" to support them as they will flex with pressure, but are the lightest version (both Haltbar and carbon fiber).

Whats this look like and what does it weight?
3) Stock with support rib - Mounts like stock, we are adding an additional support rib in hard foam that will not add a lot of weight, but is an additional cost as well as rigidity.

Thanks
driving.gif
PlaysWithCars
Hey Mark, awesome progress and incredible that you will be able to offer so many variations to meet individual customer needs. Question, there was mention that there will also be a 'GT' version coming. Can you elaborate on how that will differ from the other offerings described above? (skin only, lite and reinforced)
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 3 2020, 04:57 PM) *

OK
So the weights are as follows -These are nominal and may very slightly with amount of bonding material used.

Front hoods

Haltbar Glass -
Front hood with headlights - 12.2#
Front hood headlight delete - 12.4#

Carbon fiber -
Front hood with headlights - 10#
Front hood with delete - 10.1#

Rear deck lid

Haltbar Glass -
Rear hood - 10.9#

Carbon fiber -
Rear hood - 9.8#

QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 24 2020, 06:09 PM) *

Front Steel was about 33# bare

The Rear Decklid was 31# bare

Might be a pound or two off due to having to hold it to keep it on the scale.

^ Pretty attractive.

So there's an opportunity to lose 40~ pounds with no loss of utility and little aesthetic downside as well. Add another 15-25 pounds lost with an Odyssey PC680 or PC925 and roughly 50% of the added weight of a six conversion can be offset by three pieces, and in good places (high up) to do so.

One thing I do wonder about is the wavy look of fiberglass GT lids of old (which is cool on the right kind of 914, usually with GT flares) and the paint "bleed-in" seen with carbon-fiber (seen on Ferrari F40s and, lately, Carrera GTs), where the pattern of the panel starts to become apparent. Might be worth it for the weight savings (!), but curious for inputs. The Alfaholics "hidden" carbon lids for its Guilia GT hot rods has me wanting to do a pair of these for my 914—body color on top and bare CF on bottom. Or just all body color.

Very, very cool development.
forrestkhaag
I am interested in a stock hood however, i have learned that after crating an existing metal hood, the shipping cost was outrageous / your thoughts on shipping costs when you get your price fixed would help define actual demand.

beerchug.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(PlaysWithCars @ Sep 27 2020, 09:13 AM) *

Hey Mark, awesome progress and incredible that you will be able to offer so many variations to meet individual customer needs. Question, there was mention that there will also be a 'GT' version coming. Can you elaborate on how that will differ from the other offerings described above? (skin only, lite and reinforced)

The GT lid will be as true of a construction to the original as possible. Think of it as a true tribute.
Costs will dependent on the costs we incurred in making them. We have to work on these to release price and are waiting on some material.

The lite version is just that. The lightest possible product in each material.
The only issue with these are finishing them. If you want to cut and buff them it has to be done on a buck ( basically a bean bag) to put the pressure on the surface.

The reinforced have a reinforcement rib to make them like the stock hood. It weighs a little more but also has a cost. So you can choose your options.

I hope this helps clear up some of the questions
Mikey914
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Sep 27 2020, 12:18 PM) *

I am interested in a stock hood however, i have learned that after crating an existing metal hood, the shipping cost was outrageous / your thoughts on shipping costs when you get your price fixed would help define actual demand.

beerchug.gif

We are currently working on packaging that will help reduce some of the cost.
We also have commercial rates on shipping and are exploring other shipping opportunities too.
Unfortunately these are not finalized yet
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 27 2020, 12:41 PM) *

We are currently working on packaging that will help reduce some of the cost.
We also have commercial rates on shipping and are exploring other shipping opportunities too.
Unfortunately these are not finalized yet

^ Not much to be done about the size of the item, but ~10lbs plus packaging should be a lot more palatable than ~30lbs, and unlike steel these shouldn't dent. I wonder how minimal the packaging can be made.

What I've never understood is how PAG and an art company I have worked with get windshields and windshield-sized art from Germany to California via FedEx for $60~ and whether that's a Germany thing? If not, could be helpful here…
914forme
Volume Contracts and good negotiations work wonders.

Worked with a company that we negotiated a shipping contract for everything overnight due to what we shipped it was about 10 per unit.

Also worked with another group where we needed to ship items all over the country, medical transplant related. We could ship anywhere with in 4 hours, for $12.94 a run.

Wonder how they working with the reduced number of commercial flights.

The offset to these great deals is other accept rates that are much higher, and forget about it if you are a consumer walking into the store front.
Mikey914
1st partial run will be complete this next week. More pics soon
Craigers17
I'm in for one of the fiberglass rear deck lids. Thanks.
flat4guy
I like the front spoiler - any pics with that installed?
Mikey914
1st production parts are scheduled out Monday. I will be crating and sending out. @Matty900 has some pictures installed on my red car as a test bed.
jb6000
I am interested in prices of front and rear truck lids, fiberglass, stock with headlights and no rear spoiler.

Mikey914
Ok we are getting to actually getting parts out the door. I will have these listed up on the site this week.

One of the biggest problems that was a variable was the shipping.

We have a 56x49x7 crate that is needed to house both front and rear hoods.

We packed this one with HF blankets and lots of bubble wrap. The Carbon fiber hood with packing and crate cam to 83# for all. I may be able to get down to 75 without the blankets using more bubble wrap The problem is the size. Shipping via Fedex for the 75# rate was $228, and $235 for 83#

We are checking to see if we can get some better Greyhound or LTL rates now. But the 1st 3 sets will be shipping out this week.

There are a lot of moving pieces on this project. We are starting to solidify this finally.
Thanks all for your patience I will PM everyone with the codes as soon as Blake gets them together.
-Mark
Mikey914
More
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 9 2020, 09:53 PM) *

1st production parts are scheduled out Monday. I will be crating and sending out. @Matty900 has some pictures installed on my red car as a test bed.

@Mikey914

@Matty900

In an effort to help on first batch coming to LA/OC/SD areas. Crate up as many as you need in one crate and ship it to my business address (90255). I have docks, forklifts, and storage. I can then coordinate with your buyers for pick up or delivery. Cost savings for all. piratenanner.gif

Let me know....

Oscar
Mikey914
Thanks looking at a consolidation model. It's not that they are really heavy. Mostly bulky and we are working to bring down shipping costs.
Mark
PlaysWithCars
Mark, are you also making progress on the balsa wood reinforced GT version? Still interested if you have figured out pricing.
pete000
QUOTE(PlaysWithCars @ Oct 21 2020, 09:27 PM) *

Mark, are you also making progress on the balsa wood reinforced GT version? Still interested if you have figured out pricing.

Ditto...
Mikey914
QUOTE(PlaysWithCars @ Oct 21 2020, 09:27 PM) *

Yes we have the pattern figures out. I plan to open up the GB for these to all and after we have our production run on these I will be able to tie up the molds longer.
As far a pricing I will not know how long it takes to build until I do one, so the answer is not yet.
jmalone
Wow, absolutely beautiful!
Mikey914
Got the other 2 sets I've run through coming out Monday.

-Mark
JamesM
popcorn[1].gif

Any news? love seeing the progress on these.
Mikey914
We have the 3 orders we opened up this GB on. We had not listed on the site yet as the issue is crating. I have finally figured out how to crate so they can ship Fedex not LTL. Unfortunately it means 2 crates. Cost more to crate but less to ship. Blake should have these listed on the site some time this week for all to buy. There were 3 guys that REALLY wanted these so I did a a case study before we open these up to all.

Mark
JamesM
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 3 2020, 09:41 AM) *

We have the 3 orders we opened up this GB on. We had not listed on the site yet as the issue is crating. I have finally figured out how to crate so they can ship Fedex not LTL. Unfortunately it means 2 crates. Cost more to crate but less to ship. Blake should have these listed on the site some time this week for all to buy. There were 3 guys that REALLY wanted these so I did a a case study before we open these up to all.

Mark

Looking forward to shaving 40 lbs off the autox car this spring.... 80lbs if I can get my fat a$$ on a diet!

Alain V.
Looking forward to installing them. Hoping to finally make some progress on my project this winter.
JamesM
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 3 2020, 09:41 AM) *

Mark

EEeeek!! just checked my paypal, didnt realize you sent the shipping invoice a couple days ago.. just paid it.

Now im more excited!! Just in time too as im running low on pandemic projects.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.