Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Villemi
Hello Mickey
What's new about the roof.
When can we'll order?
Badinfluence1
Yes please... in Astoria
Mikey914
Will post some pics up in the morning. Getting the correct acrylic is problematic right now, I think I have a solution but can't proceed until I have the answers.
Mark
Van B
Well, I don’t see anyone else even attempting such a product so, I don’t think you’ll be losing potential customers any time soon lol!
Mikey914
This project is one of the more complicated ones I've done. With the supply issues as well as bonding and adding the protection for the acrylic it's pretty complicated. It's not going to be a huge money maker for me even though they will not be cheap. The time it takes to polish can buff these is about 3-4 hours per roof, and it's not something I can have anyone else do. That's just the polishing.

Yes I will do this, and I'm in the home stretch on the prototype using the new tooling.

Van B
Parts like this never bring good margin. But, and I’m not saying you need it, the branding power will pay dividends over the long run. Once you crack this nut, any targa from the era will be an easy adaptation and will bring people to your doorstep.
Hell, even a 944 variant would be possible.
Bottom line, I think this is a worthwhile pursuit as long as you don’t wind up in the hole.
Front yard mechanic
Simple math says make money or don't make um headbang.gif
Van B
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Dec 29 2021, 08:26 PM) *

Simple math says make money or don't make um headbang.gif

Sure lol… and why would any of us have a 914 if simple math is the rule?
Mikey914
I will be spending some time with this today I'll post up progress.
Hoppie944s2
I'd be up for one too
Curbandgutter
I was up for one the last time this came up and never heard back? So.....I'm still in line for one. smile.gif
CaymanS
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 30 2021, 11:05 AM) *

I will be spending some time with this today I'll post up progress.

Hi. I'm late to this but I'm interested in a charcoal smoke one for a 1974 914.
Mikey914
Working on the door cards and tooling for the windshield pillars right now. I still need to drill and tap to mount hardware then I can attach hardware.
Van B
C’mon Mike! Where are the photos? You know how the hype game works! We wanna see this bad boy getting built!
Stef914
I’m interested ! Pls DM me smile.gif
Badinfluence1
is a rose colored tint possible?
Mikey914
Yes, it is possible.
Long_ago
Yes please, I'll take one.
Probably with hardware. I'm reviewing the condition of the lockdowns.
Probably smoked color, as a chrome yellow 74.
But considering a color change to blue.
Thanks
Mikey914
Thanks guys.
Ill follow-up shortly. The airline has me really busy til the end of the month.

eric9144
chowtime.gif
Any progress on these? Really want one still! biggrin.gif
gkk
I’m in

George Kerhoulas
1974 2.0
Mikey914
I had hoped to get some time to post up the final product. This has beed quite some time an they take time to get right.

Current status is that I have located material (price has gone up of course) I'm finishing the final specification on the roofs adding a abrasion resistant coating That's where I'm at now. Done in mass these would be significantly easier, and I'm just about ready to do so, it's a big investment in both time and money.

Mark
barnfind9141972
I’m in, charcoal is perfect
Jett
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 12 2022, 08:59 AM) *

I had hoped to get some time to post up the final product. This has beed quite some time an they take time to get right.

Current status is that I have located material (price has gone up of course) I'm finishing the final specification on the roofs adding a abrasion resistant coating That's where I'm at now. Done in mass these would be significantly easier, and I'm just about ready to do so, it's a big investment in both time and money.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I suspect you will try the fit on several cars before going to GA? Can I help?
Warren914

How many are you planning to produce? Will there be a 2nd run?

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 12 2022, 10:59 AM) *

Mark

Mikey914
Looking to do 20 on the 1st run, but the material I located even though it was spec'd correctly again. Was not correct. It has to do with how we form them. I do have a manufacturer that will do a run for me here in the US its just its a significant amount of material.

Just a matter of me corvina off a good Chuck of change to be able to bring the material in, so I had been putting it off. I guess its about time to bite the bullet. I had hoped that I could buy what I needed but seems like the market is being flooded with dubios material.
Funny think is the response is the replacement material is "better". Unfortunately not for my purpose.

jim_hoyland
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 11 2021, 04:43 AM) *

I want to replace mine for sure; please add my name to the list. I originally owned #3 top, but sold it to Wes in a time of need.IPB Image

Any word
Lg914
Still interested when the time comes. Thanks for all you do for us.
Badinfluence1
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 21 2021, 01:09 PM) *

Yes working on that version also.

As far as the tint goes yes we can do a few different variations. Of course we can do just about anything for color but that comes at a price. That is why we tend to stick to stock colors. There is a pretty good palette, so more to follow as we get closer.
mark

Can you do a rose colored roof? My car is Bahia red
relentless
Well I was sick all last year (GBS sucks) but I want one! I'd love a bronze tint but charcoal works too.

Mark, do you have enough orders yet? Where's the tease pix?
vitamin914
Was going to look for a used top but this is a very interesting, albeit expensive, option. I would need hardware for 74 model too.

Will color still be an option (blue)? or just charcoal to keep costs down?

Once the correct materials are located, please update the pricing. I'm 80% there on getting one.
Mikey914
Right now just trying to get correct plastic. I’m hoping that as some of these don’t move as fast (material), I may not have as much issue with the }odd} colors.
Mark
eyeguy
Are these still available?/ I would like one
Villemi
Hello Mike
News of the top please ?
peteinjp
Bumpin this- must have item!!
SO.O.C914er
Is this ever going to happen? I’m down for one smokin targa top!
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(SO.O.C914er @ Jul 6 2022, 10:07 PM) *

Is this ever going to happen? I’m down for one smokin targa top!

A WAS top your car will really finish off a great 914 !
bgegel
Still available? If yes, I will take one with hardware. Thank you.
Brian
Mikey914
I've got one that was our prototype that I've been trying to put the protective coating on, but I'm not a good film guy. Spoke with my nephew Lucas that does this and He's gonna do this for me.

The good news is I have been able to find the correct plastic, but my fiberglass guy is totally backed up now sad.gif
ValcoOscar
beerchug.gif popcorn[1].gif

O
Montreal914
Wow! that is a nice piece! smile.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Mikey914
They will come with all new seals as well.
eric9144
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 25 2022, 02:31 PM) *

They will come with all new seals as well.

piratenanner.gif popcorn[1].gif
Van B
This is gonna be so cool!
bgegel
Good morning, are these still available or will there be another run? Approximate cost? Thanks. --- Brian
Steve
Can I still get a blue one?
kerensky
I've always wanted something like this for my 'teener. Reminds me of the smoked T-tops on my cousin's Camaro back in the day. I'd find a way to get the money somehow, whenever you're ready to pull the trigger on this.
jettonjoshua
This is a very cool project!
Mikey914
Things are starting to come together. I'm looking at getting production up on these in the next few months. Just need to verify we can get the plastic and when.

Mark
sb914
piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.