QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ May 2 2021, 02:09 AM) *

Anyone else doing some lite wrenching this weekend? biggrin.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

Chris, is that your VQ35?
AZBanks
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ May 2 2021, 01:09 AM) *

Anyone else doing some lite wrenching this weekend? biggrin.gif

Yes, A couple more bolts and the engine will be out. Fixing oil leaks in the engine and transmission.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ May 2 2021, 02:43 PM) *

That's the original vq30. Pulled the intake to do valve cover gaskets because they leak on my driveway like a VW mad.gif
Flushed some dried coolant grit out of the passages and scored scaly-rust free steel bypass tubes at the PAP today, so I'm optimistic the cooling issue will be resolved. But then the cooling system is all new too. Last drive a week before got only a little high.
The vq35 swap will be practically starting from scratch, but I am taking measurements of the adapter plate while it's this far apart. Going to try to mate it to that WRX trans.
VegasRacer
YES. driving.gif There will be a Vegas Caravan to the event. Isn't there always?!
irish914.jpg red914.jpg white914.jpg blue914.jpg

We leave Las Vegas on Tuesday morning June 22nd. icon_bump.gif
A hook-up can be scheduled in Kingman, (or wherever) to pick up random travelers.
LMK what works for anybody who is interested in participating ? ? confused24.gif

Banzai I-40 run to Albuquerque, NM. evilgrin.gif Finish with Route 66 in Old Town.
Dinner at Scalo restaurant. chowtime.gif (on Rt. 66. Owned by a friend)

I will be staying at the Best Western Airport Albuquerque Inn Suites Hotel.
2400 Yale Blvd SE, Albuquerque, NM 87106.
$90 including taxes and a full breakfast.
76-914
John, I'd like to hook up with ya'll in Kingman or Needles. Kingman is about 4.5 hours for me. Ya'll are much closer to Kingman than I. What would be your ETA in Kingman? driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 7 2021, 07:20 AM) *

What would be your ETA in Kingman?

How does 10:00 am PST sound for a big truck stop breakfast in Kingman ? burger.gif
We then have 6 1/2 hours of driving plus one time zone to our destination.

I will buy dinner in Albuquerque, if my friends don't pick up the bill. smile.gif
76-914
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ May 7 2021, 08:17 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 7 2021, 07:20 AM) *

What would be your ETA in Kingman?

How does 10:00 am PST sound for a big truck stop breakfast in Kingman ?
We then have 6 1/2 hours of driving plus one time zone to our destination.

I will buy dinner in Albuquerque, if my friends don't pick up the bill. smile.gif

That's doable. See you there. driving.gif
scottthephotog
Booked the hotel for my wife and I back on April 23. Seeing the post about no cancellation made me concerned as they said you could cancel as long as it was 48 hours out when I made the reservation over the phone. I just double checked the email and it does say: "Reservations must be cancelled by 3pm local time, 24 hours or more prior to scheduled arrival to avoid a penalty of one night's room and tax. Penalty for early departure may also apply."

So that's really strange @Chris914n6 that you aren't able to cancel your reservation.
RiqueMar
Well.... 914 or no-914 myself and Helena are officially booked!
Chris914n6
QUOTE(scottthephotog @ May 7 2021, 10:21 AM) *

So that's really strange @Chris914n6 that you aren't able to cancel your reservation.

Other way around, I didn't book as the website said I couldn't get my money back if I couldn't make it. @scottthephotog

I should have the 914 back together in a week then it will decide my plans.

Tentatively looking to split a room for El Rey, need to hundy-pinch if I'm going to make all 3 events this year.
mgp4591
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ May 3 2021, 10:02 PM) *

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ May 2 2021, 02:43 PM) *

That's the original vq30. Pulled the intake to do valve cover gaskets because they leak on my driveway like a VW mad.gif
Flushed some dried coolant grit out of the passages and scored scaly-rust free steel bypass tubes at the PAP today, so I'm optimistic the cooling issue will be resolved. But then the cooling system is all new too. Last drive a week before got only a little high.
The vq35 swap will be practically starting from scratch, but I am taking measurements of the adapter plate while it's this far apart. Going to try to mate it to that WRX trans.

How are the head gaskets holding up? I was impressed with how it ran until it gets hot... wanna trade builds??
Chris914n6
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ May 7 2021, 12:33 PM) *

How are the head gaskets holding up? I was impressed with how it ran until it gets hot... wanna trade builds??

No signs of a head gasket leak. Only 20k miles on the motor and they are the metal layer type so unlikely anyways.

Might still have been bleeding air out of the system. The Celica rad doesn't have the cool inline bleeder that the original Corrado rad did. @mgp4591
VegasRacer
Click to view attachment
76-914
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ May 10 2021, 06:08 PM) *

Sweet!
JRust
Its over 900 miles & 15 hours one way driving. I think I am going to just fly to Vegas. Then I either snag an open seat. Get a cheap rental. Or go on Turo to get a Boxster for the weekend confused24.gif
AZBanks
My flat tow bar arrived today. Towing the NARP from Phoenix to Payson where I will drop off my middle son for a training camp and the tow vehicle. My oldest and I will drive the NARP from there.

I really need to finish the AC system and fix the oil leaks before then.
73-914
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ May 10 2021, 09:08 PM) *

Nice pic of a "Hack"
Chris914n6
I guess I could drive you around for a change biggrin.gif

Got the trans resealed today. So far I'm on schedule to have it all back in the car T-40.

I'm planning to do the whole shebang... 33 hours of driving.

You might want to fly to Santa Fe for the main drives/sightseeing and ride back. Day 1 & 2 from Vegas is all highway and a nice dinner @JRust

QUOTE(JRust @ May 11 2021, 09:27 AM) *

Its over 900 miles & 15 hours one way driving. I think I am going to just fly to Vegas. Then I either snag an open seat. Get a cheap rental. Or go on Turo to get a Boxster for the weekend confused24.gif

VegasRacer
I looks like we are now up to 25 for the Banquet in Winslow, plus a handful that will be Santa Fe only.

Please check the first post for updates, details, additions and changes. type.gif
warpig
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ May 10 2021, 06:08 PM) *

Not going to make until next year but, I really, really want a hat!!! piratenanner.gif
RiqueMar
Clearly, I misunderstood the original post, and booked in Santa Fe through Sunday.

For any late additions, please don't make the same mistake I did - Saturday night hotel is in Winslow, AZ!
914 Ranch
Just got off the phone with the hotel in Winslow and got my reservations straighten out. Now I'm all set to go Coast to Coast with stops for Ribs going to and from. Going to go see my Stepmother and sister while in Ca. See y'all on the 26th...
914_teener
Add 1 for dinner with me John if possible.

Sadly I can't make it to NM this trip. Finding a good contractor for remodling is difficult at best but I found a good electrical guy for the Prescott house, so I am stuck in Prescott on the 22nd to the 23rd and I'll meet ya'll in Winslow and try and make it to the Petrified Forrest and the drive into Winslow on Sat.

Bringing a P car which is different than most have here, and a really funny story about it. I'm gonna keep it mute for now. It's a good cocktail story.

So sorry I'm gonna miss Las Vegas NM. It is a really cool little town... my Dad grew up there and is truly the original Old West or Wild West town. The drive from Santa Fe is a taste of wide open expanse of Pinon (insert tilde) forrest you'll ever see. The Gorge Bridge is spectacular. A walk across is in order to fully experience it.

Looking forward to seeing old friends and hopefully some new ones.

VegasRacer
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ May 12 2021, 10:47 AM) *

See y'all on the 26th.

The 26th in Winslow is correct @914 Ranch chowtime.gif
We are also looking forward to seeing you from the 23rd to 25th in Santa Fe. blue914.jpg
914 Ranch
My bad, See ya in Santa Fe.
914_teener
Reservation made in Winslow.... we'll watch the Super Chief flyby.

Se ya'll there.
JRust
Sadly I don't think this year is in the cards for me. Thought timing wise was good as I have a trade show in Vegas the following week. When I get down to it. Coming in Wednesday to join you guys. I'd end up being gone from home for 9 days. So I am 90% sure I am not going to make it. I'd try to make it & join you all Saturday. Just to damn far a drive from Vegas for a one day turn around. So just wanted to keep you all in the loop. While there is still an outside chance I make it for part of it. Odds are not looking good sad.gif
euro911
Like Jamie, I won't be able to make it this year either dry.gif ... Too many irons in the fire, and having a road-worthy 914 in time isn't on the main burner.

Maybe next year idea.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(JRust @ May 16 2021, 10:49 AM) *

Sadly I don't think this year is in the cards for me. Thought timing wise was good as I have a trade show in Vegas the following week. When I get down to it. Coming in Wednesday to join you guys. I'd end up being gone from home for 9 days. So I am 90% sure I am not going to make it. I'd try to make it & join you all Saturday. Just to damn far a drive from Vegas for a one day turn around. So just wanted to keep you all in the loop. While there is still an outside chance I make it for part of it. Odds are not looking good sad.gif

QUOTE(euro911 @ May 16 2021, 12:37 PM) *

Like Jamie, I won't be able to make it this year either dry.gif ... Too many irons in the fire, and having a road-worthy 914 in time isn't on the main burner.

Maybe next year idea.gif

DAMN....

I was looking forward to meeting some of you reprobates.

Clay
burton73
Going to be coming with my bud Mark and we will be in a mid-year water cooled Red Targa 997 or and maybe my 86.5 928 if that would be OK with you guys as my 6, number 41 is still in interior shop with Dale

Bob Burton Bob B
VegasRacer
ACHTUNG ! ! flag.gif

Thirty Day Notice. poke.gif
forrestkhaag
Please recap the schedule for the no-mask 66 drive. I made the 66 in years past but let the 914 go to a new driver / see

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-porsche-914-6-11/

still looking for a drive with Porsche people.

beerchug.gif
914_teener
I.ll be driving the Mogollon Marauder. I.ll try and get with you guys near Gallup on the way to Winslow.

Click to view attachment
VegasRacer
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ May 25 2021, 07:34 PM) *

Please recap the schedule for the no-mask 66 drive.

Wed. 23 - Rendezvous in Santa Fe, NM. Dinner in Las Vegas.
Thurs. 24 - Jemez Mountain Trail Drive. Los Alamos. Bernalillo.
Fri. 25 - Grand Tour. Carson National Forest. Rio Grande Bridge. Taos.
Sat 26 - Caravan to Winslow, AZ. Banquet Dinner at La Posada.
VegasRacer
What are you doing to get ready? bye1.gif

I reinstated my lapsed AAA membership. flag.gif
Was approved for a Chevron credit card to reduce the cost of gas. driving.gif
worn
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ May 31 2021, 04:10 PM) *

I am fixing a few oil leaks. Bled the brakes for new hydraulic fluid. Gonna Rainex the windshield. Only have headers on the 3.2. Deciding on the route. Kansas, Nebraska, or Texas for making up my eastwards travel. I think I want to skirt the Rockies, but that isn’t the true 66. Reservations are made. I really hope my back cooperates. I actually like the stock seats. Wish Slits were coming...
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(worn @ May 31 2021, 07:54 PM) *

QUOTE(VegasRacer @ May 31 2021, 04:10 PM) *

I am fixing a few oil leaks. Bled the brakes for new hydraulic fluid. Gonna Rainex the windshield. Only have headers on the 3.2. Deciding on the route. Kansas, Nebraska, or Texas for making up my eastwards travel. I think I want to skirt the Rockies, but that isn’t the true 66. Reservations are made. I really hope my back cooperates. I actually like the stock seats. Wish Slits were coming...

If you go through Texas you may catch up to us in Amarillo.

Clay
Gint
Thread "highlighted" for your viewing pleasure.
914-300Hemi
Hoping to get the 914 from the shop but if I can’t then it will be the 911.
I will change the oil and fill up the gas.
TROJANMAN
Thinking about attending this event with the ghost of Slits......

He wants to know if Clay still needs a step ladder to get into a 914.
AZBanks
I'm going big on my preparations. I created a thread about the new AC system I am putting in.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Jun 1 2021, 09:15 PM) *

Greg. bandit.gif @TROJANMAN
What a treat to see you posting here. biggrin.gif How are you my friend?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Jun 1 2021, 11:15 PM) *

finger.gif (For the ghost of Slits)

If the ghost of Slits shows up, I am going to beat the sheet out of him.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 2 2021, 04:53 AM) *

QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Jun 1 2021, 11:15 PM) *

finger.gif (For the ghost of Slits)

If the ghost of Slits shows up, I am going to beat the sheet out of him.

If you do that he will be naked, then you will need to be banned for showing offensive content
RiqueMar
Hi All - Might have a work event that will interfere with me going (will still be making the trophies).

Would anyone be interested in a room at a reduced rate? Standard with King-bed, let me know here or send me a PM.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jun 2 2021, 04:35 PM) *

Hi All - Might have a work event that will interfere with me going (will still be making the trophies).

Would anyone be interested in a room at a reduced rate? Standard with King-bed, let me know here or send me a PM.

:-( I was looking forward to meeting you and talking about your 3.6 conversion.

Clay
RiqueMar
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 3 2021, 01:31 AM) *

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jun 2 2021, 04:35 PM) *

:-( I was looking forward to meeting you and talking about your 3.6 conversion.

Clay

Hey @ClayPerrine

Not completely set each way, just trying to forecast out a few weeks. I unfortunately won't have my car ready, though the wiring is all but done after recently taking it to a mechanic, so I have to contemplate a fly-in/fly-out and rental car.
Chris914n6
Unfortunately reality kicked in. I have too much going on at the home front to be gone this long.

Have fun post lots of pics
76-914
I was lucky today. I took Kugel in for an alignment and "Road Force wheel balancing" in preparation for Rt66. Rather than wait 2 hours I walked down to my favorite hardware store and killed a little time there. When I returned they told me that they couldn't balance the wheels because they were afraid they'd damage the center caps. I returned home and removed the center caps so I could drop off the wheels back off to them in the morning. When I removed the wheels I found the r front outer bearing was kaput. I replaced inner/outer & races. That would not have been a fun thing to do in AX or NM.
VegasRacer
Not to give anything away, ph34r.gif but I got to see a preview of the trophies that @RiqueMar is making.

What can I say? first.gif That boy has skills. beerchug.gif

FERG.gif You are going to want to take home some of this hardware.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.