Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 914 1.8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
wonkipop
QUOTE(Van B @ May 25 2022, 05:45 PM) *

Well, it may be inductive reasoning, but given the stack of records I have, I doubt my copy is a replacement. In other words, I am confident that when the orig owner took delivery, this was the book.

As far as the other aspects you mentioned. I’ll probably live the rest of my life not knowing the answer lol!

thats right @Van B .
it is inductive reasoning on my part based on what evidence we have.
thats all it is. its about as close as you can get based on what we popped up.

but......we did get the evidence - more than anyone has been able to collect before-hand.

at least we are no longer dealing with previous assertions and non factory diagrams that assert the engine bay can cars had the same plumbing as earlier model year and 74 cars with frunk cans. we know something happened and we know it was changed. and i pretty much pinpointed that production date when the frunk cans change to engine bay cans. i'm 99% on that one with the examples i found that got within 8 karmann numbers of each other. so that is very reasonably reliable info. and we know the emissions warranty changes from one edition to another over that same time period.
so none of the reasoning is out of whack.

your car is in the smudgy territory in between that lasts a month or two where it becomes an administrative act in the sales chain as to how the warranties are actually included with the car.

as to why its got an oct dated edition warranty with a post Nov 20 engine bay layout i can only guess at some explanations. i tend to think its explanation 1 which is its the warranty that came with the car and because we don't know how and when warranties were included, it is open to the possibility that an older warranty is included with a newer car. i include the other explanation because thats also true 50 years on.
we have people restoring cars and seeking documents missing from the car they have restored. thats why emissions warranties are for sale on ebay. we now know as a result of this research thats a fraught exercise for a 74 MY car, because there were at least three of these warranties throughout the model year and those three different warranties apply to different variations of the car. its all tricky stuff. but at minimum the conversation has now been moved past the blanket assertion that there was one way only that the hoses were hooked up and anything else is wrong. that notion can now be refuted.

it would have been nice to have someone volunteer a 75 emissions warranty.
its pretty clear from engine bay photos of original cars that the battery tray mount cans were hooked up in a way that matched the 74 engine bay cars as well.

i think the big area of interest is for owners of 74 2.0 L models.
i'm not sure its ever been raised before but it does look extremely likely to me there is one hook up for the earlier 74 2.0L with the frunk can and another for the later 74 2.0L with the engine bay can. thats a matter for those with an interest in restoring 74 2.0L and a bit of information they need to resolve.

if you were not a member of this website we probably wouldn't even know there was an Oct edition of that warranty! we probably still would all be going around in circles.
beerchug.gif at least we got to something that approaches logic and filled in the big gaps in explaining things.

in the end i am in the same position as you. i know the emissions warranty i have came with the car and i know the hoses in the layout they were in was also original. i've owned it since 89 and am the second owner. so its nice to finally know i was right about the car and those telling me the hoses were incorrectly plumbed were straight out wrong.
or suggestions that the emissions warranty was a misprint were a little off the mark.
its amazing after 50 years since the cars were made that this bit of detail seems to have slipped past people and been forgotten and lost.
JeffBowlsby
Wonk,

You deserve an award for this charcoal can research, it’s well documented and clearly presented.

Can’t speak for others but changing the airflow direction thru the can, especially knowing how the can is actually constructed without the long internal supply tube as depicted in the booklets basically creates a short circuit nearly eliminating the intent and actual functional efficiency of the system.

Don’t understand the factory logic for the change. What did they know that is not obvious to us? Did they not see the internal plumbing within the can? I’m inclined to keep with the early air hose routing scheme because it seems like the best technical solution.
wonkipop
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ May 26 2022, 08:52 PM) *

Wonk,

You deserve an award for this charcoal can research, it’s well documented and clearly presented.

Can’t speak for others but changing the airflow direction thru the can, especially knowing how the can is actually constructed without the long internal supply tube as depicted in the booklets basically creates a short circuit nearly eliminating the intent and actual functional efficiency of the system.

Don’t understand the factory logic for the change. What did they know that is not obvious to us? Did they not see the internal plumbing within the can? I’m inclined to keep with the early air hose routing scheme because it seems like the best technical solution.

thanks mr b.

i'm not even going to attempt to explain the function of the cans.

only thing i can think of is- something to do with carbs when it comes to why porsche did it the way they did starting in 1970, using the exact same components as VW.
........don't ask me to explain why. confused24.gif
i'm just a disinterested historian with an interest in my 1.8 L jet. smile.gif beerchug.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ May 26 2022, 08:52 PM) *

Wonk,

somewhere in my research last year i did come across the details of the actual EPA test procedure for the evap emission system.

this is from memory but i could probably find it again.

but it went something like this.
drive the car for a prescribed period of time, it was a fairly long period of time and i think a certain number of miles were involved and it was a kind of simulation of a typical commute drive.

car then driven into special sealed room and switched off. the room contained hydrocarbon sensors. (70s primitive tech sensors?).

car left in there for prescribed period of time. something like an hour or two.

hydrocarbons detected in the atmosphere of room had to be under a certain threshold of x ppm.

pass or fail.

so the test was for the static phase of the operation of the canister system after switch off. the test was not for a dynamic phase (ie purge). manufacturers were expected to keep a fleet of test cars and monitor the system for 50,000 miles or 5 years. at the time the tests were introduced cars had not had the system installed for 5 years. so that was in the future. but if systems failed in the long term manufacturers would have been expected to replace faulty components under warranty. VW or porsches view would have been replace the canister.

i know how it works in my industry. anything required to be certified is designed to pass the test. nothing to do with the real world. ie a fire rated window that has to be certified to be 1/2 hour bushfire rated is that. if it lasts 31 minutes it passes. if it lasts 29 minutes it fails.

i think the canister is all about that. cobbling up a system, using shared universal parts, to get very different types of cars through the test.

getting a cabied 914/6 or 911 through the test would have been a nightmare? they would have exposed as much cross sectional area of charcoal as they could between the carb connected hose and the fan feed (atm vent) hose. so they plugged that carb hose line into the end of the can with the small plenum created by the spring - there is hot fuel in a carb bowl after switch off thats gassing like no tomorrow?

getting a fuel injected 914 or VW through would have been a breeze.
some fuel vapor coming down a tiny hose from the fuel tank which would have been far less heated or subject to heat after switch off. they would have positioned the open hose to atm (fan) with as much charcoal between it and tank vapor line as possible with a view to the long term life of the can as it would have walked through the EPA test. the hose to the air cleaner has the filter between it and the atmosphere to help it and to "seal" vapors in. the EFI cars just would not have been dumping in anything like the vapor load of a carb car at hot shutdown.

i think the early 4 cylinder 914s just got the system porsche tuned for the 914/6 by default? then someone at the factory woke up and said, hey we are not building 914/6s anymore and we can get the cans to last longer the other way around. one thing is for sure, VW had the penny counting overlords going over everything. they would never have missed a trick where a $ was concerned.

i think there is an element of cynicism involved? in the sense of getting through the certification process number 1 rather than necessarily operating well over 5 years.
and they were cynical.
everyone is.
thats why the EPA caught them out in 73?
and again more recently?

pollution gear is funny stuff. all about very specific govt. authority tests conducted within almost laboratory parameters.

beer.gif
wonkipop
After all that research and thanks to all members with 74 L jets who contributed generously -

hose diagrams.
some clarity now how it went in 1974.

- all hose specs come out of the PET.
some sizes will be difficult to get these days.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

additionally.
video by @Van B showing vac hose layout for 74 1.8 EC-B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToxifurNXXg
JeffBowlsby
Niiiice. I see that architects hand... drooley.gif

Was the EGR system an overlay to this system for the cars that had it or integrated with it?
wonkipop
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jun 6 2022, 06:50 AM) *

Niiiice. I see that architects hand... drooley.gif

Was the EGR system an overlay to this system for the cars that had it or integrated with it?

i did them in the style of your drawing of the 2.0 beerchug.gif
a nice way to spend a wet and very cold sunday.
dusted off the drawing board. good to get away from the CAD screen.

the EGR for calif in 75 was more an integration rather than an overlay.
it used the TB of the 74 EC-B to operate the EGR vac valve and it fed the recirculated exhaust into a line that replaced the PCV valve hose with a Y branch metal tube fitting.
tells you that the EGR only operated with engine vacuum at steady state part open throttle - ie cruise. to some extent the 75 with EGR (calif) was mimicking the 74 EC-B (49 states car) with vac advance, going for fuel economy and cooler running at cruise.

the 75 EC-a 49 states was virtually identical to the 74 EC-A Calif except that the decel vavle was of a different design.

which i think explains the mystery of why VW use the upper case A in 74 and lower case in 75. it had us confused if you recall when we started this research last year. you know - how come the 49 states car in 74 was a (B) and then a (a) in 75? similarly the 74 calif is (A) and then a (b) in 75? initially we were all thinking why would they not be consistent using the A and B classification and would apply it to the state/territory the car was equipped for.

In an odd way they are consistent.
if you consider that the 74 EC-A goes on to be the 75 EC-a and its the layout that is consistent - it just happens to be it fits calif regs in 74 and then complies with 49 states in 75, to more or less the same design.

and if you squint with one eye, the 74 EC-B (49 states) kind of goes on to be the prototype of the 75 EC-b (Calif) with the vac advance timing function on distributor transformed into an EGR operated by the same TB port and with the EGR bringing the same benefits in a different way (and more expensive way) as the vac advance.

if that makes sense.
i think its the best explanation for why the A and B classification get swapped around from 74 to 75 and is altered from upper to lower case.

confused24.gif

i could probably do some diagrams for 75 if there is another very cold and wet weekend this winter and i need to sit by the heater rather than drive my 914.
StarBear
@wonkipop @Van B At this weekend’s NE Gathering I met a fellow from Buffalo NY that travelled to South NJ. He has an early 74 with the charcoal canister in the front. It is and was a NY state car; he’s the third owner. Configured just like the blue and orange ones on page 3. Pics below.
VIN 4742908253; DOT 11/73
K chassis #4619568 (mid Nov 73, Monday)
Dual vacuum can and dual TB
Only 2 weeks before mine (VIN …2909…; chassis 483… Nov 28)
So, this really narrows down just when that changeover from front to back happened.
I didn’t think of capturing the engine tin, emissions sticker, or TB number as not a CA car. Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
wonkipop
great stuff @StarBear

looks like you guys had a good get together judging by the photos up in the thread about the gathering. am envious.
you car looked great in the photos steve.
where you responsible for the special beers?
beer.gif

handy to have that K number.

so that ones a monday week 46 car (12 Nov) and definitely frunk.

the derelict one with an engine bay can in the backyard unfortunately did not have a K number. it was vin --08765. thats 512 cars after the monday car you have posted.
the monday car looks like it was 68th car for day and they were building approx 100 per day at that point so.......maths says the derelict car might have been a friday 16 Nov or Monday 19 Nov car as previous guess.

but just to throw things out.
there is the blue car which shows evidence of being a frunk car on the basis of the fuel tank. and its a later vin. ---09096. but no K #.
and member ferg's car. later vin ---09104. but no K#.
using other cars with nearby vins and known k#s these two might have been Tuesday Nov 20 cars but they could just as easily be earlier commencement build cars with later completion dates when they got their Vins.

so we got some overlap still.

i suspect you can't go off Vin #s for this change, but have to use K# to get the day and date.

what is interesting is the red car you have posted up has a K# 4619568 which is day before R. Rietman's car K#4629552, (RR's maybe 100 cars at most later = a days production?) but the red car is Vin ---08253, which is 537 after R. Rietman's car V# ---07716. !!! we can see how much the K numbers (commencement of build) are out of synch with the vin numbers (completion of build). the red car is a great bit of information for showing the degree of that out of synch-ness
so you would definitely expect there could well be what looks like a smudge or overlap if you went off Vin numbers.

you could pinpoint a date for sure with K#s.

pity there was no K# with that derelict car. or those two later frunk can cars that come after the derelict car.

its still all pointing toward the end of week 46/start of week 47. 16/19 Nov 73.
but can't get much closer than that still.

beerchug.gif
StarBear
Yep; darn close to pinning it down, I’d say. Great minutia.
Yes with the beers. May post images of the full bottle labels later today. A blast of a time. While I didn’t win any of the oil change auction items, got a sweet pair of led headlights!
StarBear
@rod911964 Rob - Here's the info we were discussing at the Gathering. Yours was produced only 2 weeks before mine (with the charcoal cannister in the back)!
wonkipop
@StarBear @Van B @JeffBowlsby

some more data i pulled down from a car just up for sale on BAT.
05/74 914 1.8.
VIN# 4742918254
K# 2019552 = mon 13 may 1974
fair condition car - mostly original.
no shots of tune up sticker or emission sticker.
but sold new in california - palo alto.
engine shots show that original distributor is gone and vacuum lines for retard and advance plugged and removed.
has engine tin paint stamp #606.
607 and 606 previously found to be EC-A engines.
also has no temp gauge sender lid or console with gauges - consistent with speculation that 606 means standard EC-A engine for 1.8 without console option fitted at factory.
i'll enter this data into the schedules on page 1 of the thread and update when i get some time.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

of interest it has metal expansion tank on fuel tank.
still using metal expansion tank in early may 74

Click to view attachment

i have VIN ---18255 , one car after it, already on file from research last year but no images of frunk of that car in the file, so don't know what tank type it had.

by june 74 they were using the plastic expansion tank.
example VIN 4742920438.
no K# for that car but 17 cars from another on vin database here with K# indicating 28 June 74 build.

Click to view attachment

i've not looked previously at this with the 1.8 research we did.
i have only a first edition of b. johnson book - restorers guide.
he may have updated the information regarding the plastic tank update.
in the first edition he gives a date of mid 1974.
unclear if he means calendar year or model year.
if he means calendar year he is close.
looks like it happens somewhere between may 13 and june 28.
if any more late production 74s show up post may 13 build date this might be pinned down as a date or vin if it has not already been done.
so far in our research a car has not shown up between these two examples.

the PET catalogue is very vague (incorrect!?) on both the charcoal cannister update and the plastic expansion tank update making it seem that both occur at end of 73 MY.
reality is quite different.

EDIT JULY 22 2022

turned up the stuff on example 1 VIN after blue car above - has metal expansion tank.

1.8 L jet likely EC-B (tune up sticker)
VIN 4742918255
K# 1959559 build commencement friday 10 may 1974

Vin is one number after blue car above, K number indicates build commences on the friday before the monday blue car above starts.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Van B
Our cars really were like a beta test for the L-Jet system and the changing emissions regulations.
Obviously it performed well, but they also didn’t waste time on refining the L-Jet in a 914 since the were on to the 928 and 924.
StarBear
QUOTE(Van B @ Jul 12 2022, 11:21 PM) *

Our cars really were like a beta test for the L-Jet system and the changing emissions regulations.
Obviously it performed well, but they also didn’t waste time on refining the L-Jet in a 914 since the were on to the 928 and 924.

agree.gif
StarBear
Found another 74 (?) this morning behind a garage. Couldn't get the VIN but have asked the owner to dig in under the tie-down tarp to capture it. Might be a 73 as he said it came with a 1.7 engine, now out of it. Not in the VIN database, he says. Stay tuned.
wonkipop
came across another plastic expansion tank 74.
closer to the blue one with a metal expansion tank posted above.

this one is a 05/74, VIN 4742919034.
K# 222956(8?) last number hard to read.
build inception date = tuesday 28 may 1974.

puts date for change to plastic tank between mon 13 may and tuesday 28 may 74.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

EDIT 21 JULY 2022
just noticed thread up in garage section.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...360511&st=0
member harlespeed bought this car and has already half transformed it in to a beast of a machine. ha ha ha. research is barely one step ahead of the god of speed. biggrin.gif
StarBear
@wonkipop BTW, what color is yours, and what type of wheels? Don’t recall ever seeing a photo of yours.
wonkipop
QUOTE(StarBear @ Jul 18 2022, 06:52 AM) *

@wonkipop BTW, what color is yours, and what type of wheels? Don’t recall ever seeing a photo of yours.

white with some patina.
no wheels. concrete blocks.
Click to view attachment

biggrin.gif

its a relic like yours.

Click to view attachment
wonkipop
just been scratching through my files here a bit more.

and there is this.
there was some controversy about this car,
it was up for sale on BAT a few months back and had some dodgy stuff where the original chassis number in frunk on top of wheel arch had been covered with a chassis plate from another car as well as the windscreen vin having been tampered with.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-porsche-914-2-0-58/

general conclusion in the end was that the vin sticker and the chassis number engraved under the false plate as well as the real plate on the headlight bucket were in fact the real numbers.

had some photos of it on file - i relooked at them,
it has a plastic expansion tank.
VIN 4742918919
K # 2119545. = mon 20 may 1974.
narrows the gap to the change from metal tank to plastic tank to window of
mon 13 may to 20 may 1974. looking like its sometime in week 20 1974.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

i've gone back over all the examples i had on file and checked through them, and that was all i had.
but the green car above is a 2.0L car and we have been concentrating on 1.8 cars.
so there might still be some 74 cars on BAT archive that are cars built between these dates. when i get time i might try and pick through BAT looking at 2 L cars and see if anything else is there. beerchug.gif
StarBear
@wonkipop Something special made - for you from the friendly folks at 914 Brewing!
Click to view attachment
wonkipop
QUOTE(StarBear @ Jul 18 2022, 10:46 AM) *

@wonkipop Something special made - for you from the friendly folks at 914 Brewing!
Click to view attachment

lol-2.gif

thanks mate.
i'll print that out and glue it to a bottle.
wonkipop
@StarBear @JeffBowlsby @Van B

1.8 L jet research was kind of worth it.
did a 914world search - i see dr. 914 asked the question recently in 2020
(info for revised dr. b johnson book?)

he was close with his initial historical info -- but not quite.
had all 74 1.8s pegged as engine bay charcoal cans.
and plastic expansion tank change as late 1974 - meaning i think late MY 74?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=346667

now we know
1) at least 3 weeks of 1.8s with frunk charcoal cannister up to approx nov 20 1973.
2) plastic expansion tank change is between mon 13 may (metal) and mon 20 may (plastic). week 20 of 1974. last metal tank i found is a 1.8. first plastic tank i found is a 2.0.

subset of 1) is that evap emissions plumbing is revised from porsche design to VW design at inception of engine bay cannister - approx nov 20 1973,

what i have been really looking for with any cars that come up on BAT is that elusive
EC-B emissions sticker with only USEPA approval. i'm starting to think that the sticker might apply to EC-B engines after a certain date in late 74 model year. likely perhaps the CARB put their foot down and made porsche/VW declare the EC-B as not approved for california. difficult information to find as not many BAT photos home in on the sticker, it is always hidden in most photo sets. sad.gif

in dr. 914's thread Maltese Falcon entered a post noting his 02/74 had a frunk charcoal can from new. given the wild drift in Vin numbers and K#s that has come up in the L jet research that does not surprise me now. i reckon there is a good chance Maltese Falcon's car might have been started in Oct 73 in the first batch of 914 2.0s and not finished and given a VIN until Feb 74. i will try and look through the Vin data base here and see if he has entered a K#. that will tell a story if the info is there.
Van B
@wonkipop how many US spec ‘74 1.8s do you think we’re made? Ball park
wonkipop
QUOTE(Van B @ Jul 18 2022, 05:54 PM) *

lol-2.gif aktion035.gif

6 months ago i would probably not be able to work it out.
there is production info on the website here in the 914 info section.
its been broken down into calendar years not model years.

and the problem is that the 74MY 1.8s are mixed in with the 75MY 1.8s for calendar year 74.

but given our research i am pretty sure that for 75 MY the 1.8 L jet is going in no other VW car except the 914 as the 412 ceased production. so i reckon a figure on 75s might be possible going off engine numbers. there is a separate number for 75 1,8s made in calendar year 75 so the maths is possible. that would get me to the subtracted number of 74 1.8s made in 1974. so i reckon i could get a real number. when i get time i might give it a try.

i think approx just over 20,000 MY 74 cars get made.
i'd guess its probably 2/3 1.8 to 1/3 2.0. say 13,000-14,000.
but i reckon i can get an actual figure for the model year which i have not seen elsewhere in my travels researching.

@Van B and @StarBear . i'm still laughing at the label. wallabies are real slow.
they just stand in the middle of the road and wait to get run over. don't even hop off.
was down in tasmania 4 years ago doing a combat drop job mission and had an audi a-3 sportback to drive. there are no roos in tasmania, just wallabies. i was hooking it back from lake pedder right in the middle of tas, a fantastic high class road that tasmania hydro built that goes nowhere except to the dam in the middle of the wilderness. one of the best drives in the world you can still do. no police. no speed cameras. lets just say i had the audi wound out. i could see a black spot on the road ahead. then i realised what it was. a fricken wallaby. the ABS was outstanding. i pulled up about 6 feet from the wallaby. it looked at me and stood there for about 10 seconds then slowly loped off the road doing that weird walk that roos and wallabies do where they put their little short arms down and kind of move their back legs through. couldn't even be bothered hopping off the road.
wonkipop
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jul 18 2022, 04:48 PM) *

Click to view attachment

lol-2.gif

thanks mate.

EDIT
ps you have a very famous surname in australian architectural circles.
kevin borland was the architects name.
amazing post war architect. i met him a few times.
i had the honour of designing a tiny little staircase and passage structure that joins two buildings of his at a very special alternative school he designed in the 60s and 70s.
all under historical protection. guy was a legend.
wonder if you are related?

kev b exclusively drove citroens his whole life.
i got my first ride in a citroen in his car when i was a student in the late 70s.
blew my tiny little country boy brain as i was fresh in the big city riding in the passenger seat of a weird super sophisticated french luxury car.
his business partner at that time had a 75 911S. that guy still has the 911 to this day.
a bit you like you. never parted with his porsche.
Van B
I don’t know how I missed that label lol! You know, I would buy a six pack I think beerchug.gif

Your car is such a classic looking car too Wonki. Prob never gets old walking up to it.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Van B @ Jul 18 2022, 08:08 PM) *

I don’t know how I missed that label lol! You know, I would buy a six pack I think beerchug.gif

Your car is such a classic looking car too Wonki. Prob never gets old walking up to it.

its peppered in dents. 50 years worth. mostly small dings. but i cannot bear to remove the original paint which has made it this far.

fortunately i never got tempted to repaint it or mess with it too much apart from having to do the conversion to rhd. once an absolute necessity by law. if only i had been able to wait a decade. but thems the breaks.

it spent 16 years until recently dry stored, i kind of had to get life back on track after some arbitrary disasters around the turn of the century. kind of helped with the body work / interior staying static and not decomposing. not so the mechanicals but!!!!
recommission was a fair bit of renewal. still ongoing thanks to your interests in perfection which has helped me get further in full functionality.

nihill44's cars are much better. his look fantastic in the photos he showed me. fully restored. he is a perfectionist. i'll drop in on him when i make it up to brisbane one day. nihill's got a special one. a 76 that seems to have been made on the last day.
he has rescued it from oblivion and wanton destruction.

i'm going to knock up a slab of beers with starbears labels.
i'll take a photo.
wonkipop
@Van B + @StarBear

speaking of walking up to the car and never feeling tired of it.

something out of the blue just happened which is worthy of report.
its been unbelievably cold here.
record low temps. other side of global warming???!!
last night dropped down to well below freezing (under 0 deg C).
never happens.
been cold and clear all day. my garage is as cold as a tomb.

i decided to take the 914 out for an errand - didn't get to run it on the weekend.

started it up and.........
it went to fast idle. around about 1400 rpm.
it stayed that way for about 3-4 minutes and settled down to 1000-950.

had a pleasant drive. roof off. heater on. clear blue skies and rugged up.

WTF

all i can think is the super cold weather must have somehow opened up the AAV or caused it to contract past a position it must be stuck in due to perhaps always having been sitting in one position for 16+ years and maybe there is a bit of surface corrosion it sticks on.
i did pull it out and clean it properly when i recommissioned 2 years ago but it didn't seem to do much except close when you warmed it up with current.
but this is something else - its never done it before since recommissioning.
a perfect warm up. it had to have opened up to a much larger orifice that it normally is resting at?

the more i think about it, this is what it used to do. hard to remember clearly, but i do think it was more or less just as it did today.

----guess all it took was for it to think it was back in maryland or chicago in the middle of winter and it came back from the dead. no doubt when its warmer it will go back to its old aussie habits and stop thinking its an american.

confused24.gif but biggrin.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(Van B @ Jul 18 2022, 05:54 PM) *

ok i could get close with 74 but not exact using annual production figures from this website. it surprised me. fewer than i thought.

i could get an exact number for 75*.

reason i can't get an exact number for 74 is the production totals given here on the website are including euro spec 1.8s and no matter what cannot determine how many of those there were.

here is the breakdown for the 1.8.

74MY (made 73CY) = 3903

74MY + 75MY (made 74CY) = 11415

75MY (made 75CY) = 2455.

--------
can work out total 75 MY cars as 1.8 engines were only in 914s*.
number of EC 1.8 75 engines = EC0 037552 ---> EC0 045072 = 7520 cars.
number of AN 1.8 75 engines = AN0 008798 ---> AN0 008899 = 101 cars.*

total = 7621 cars.

7621 (TOTAL) - 2455 (75CY) = 5166 75 MY 1.8 made in CY74.
---------
for 1974.
11415 (TOTAL) - 5166 (75MY) = 6249 (74MY) made in CY74

total 74 MY = 6249 + 3903 = 10452 1974MY 1.8 in total.

don't have a way to break down between EC engines and AN engines in 74.
a total of 37551 EC engines were made for 74 MY and the bulk went into USA VW 412s.
a total of 8797 AN engines were made for 74MY and again the bulk went into euro VW 412s.

but what you can say is there were less than 10,452 74 1.8 L jets made.
probably around the 10,000 mark.

its only about 2/3 of my over optimistic guestimate.

of that how many survive reasonably intact today.
i'd say well less than half.

the VIN numbers for 74MY run up into about the 21,000 number looking at the members VIN list here.

its roughly 50% 2.0 and 50% 1.8 numbers for the 74 MY.
unless my maths is wrong.

i do think the bulk of 1.8s went to the USA.
you can see the hint in the 1975 production numbers for euro 1.8s.
they barely make any and its probably a similar story for 1974.
the europeans by and large bought the 2.0 L cars.
so USA numbers on 2.0 L to 1.8s is probably a 1/3 to 2/3 split.

*footnote.
there is a question mark around that.
i wont go into it.
but VW legend is there was a odd batch of 412s produced in 1975.
disconnected from the production run after the car was terminated.
but its shrouded in fog.
i can recall the stories from the 1980s.
a 411/412 VW enthusiast from new zealand had the info.
that might throw numbers out on AN engines.
we are only talking 100 cars at most.
who knows?
StarBear
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jul 18 2022, 09:35 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jul 18 2022, 04:48 PM) *

Click to view attachment

lol-2.gif

thanks mate.

EDIT
ps you have a very famous surname in australian architectural circles.
kevin borland was the architects name.
amazing post war architect. i met him a few times.
i had the honour of designing a tiny little staircase and passage structure that joins two buildings of his at a very special alternative school he designed in the 60s and 70s.
all under historical protection. guy was a legend.
wonder if you are related?

kev b exclusively drove citroens his whole life.
i got my first ride in a citroen in his car when i was a student in the late 70s.
blew my tiny little country boy brain as i was fresh in the big city riding in the passenger seat of a weird super sophisticated french luxury car.
his business partner at that time had a 75 911S. that guy still has the 911 to this day.
a bit you like you. never parted with his porsche.

@wonkipop Very interesting. Steven Borland is my wife’s nephew and used to work in a brewery so picked up some home brewing skill. His older brother is Kevin Borland but not an architect. He’s really into his family history so will ask him. Probably not as much of his family history is Poland.
Will try changing label font to white - might show up better. If you’d like the actual full file just pm your email to me. I’ll send both versions.
StarBear
@wonkipop As promised, here's the white font version; I think the text shows up much better.

Click to view attachment
StarBear
"L" is for L-Jet, obviously.....
Van B
First off, you two are ridiculous lol...

Second, there's a reason for my numbers question: I'm wondering if we can figure out a reasoned number for surviving L-Jetronic cars. I was hoping that the vin database could be filtered by engine type, but it looks like it's not so. But, if we could export to xls and read by the remarks for 1.8's that are original FI or carbed, then we could prove out a market for companies like URO to make some replacement FI components. The AAV, CSV, and TTS are all NLA in their original form and could be easy to reproduce.
StarBear
Good move, Van.
My thought is that 1.8s may be the most rare except for the two LE cars. 6-cylinders might originally on par but many rescued and many converted, leaving 1.8s produced only 15-18(?) months and many not salvaged or have been converted to 2056, as are the 1.7s that were produced 2+ years.
wonkipop
QUOTE(StarBear @ Jul 19 2022, 01:06 PM) *

Good move, Van.
My thought is that 1.8s may be the most rare except for the two LE cars. 6-cylinders might originally on par but many rescued and many converted, leaving 1.8s produced only 15-18(?) months and many not salvaged or have been converted to 2056, as are the 1.7s that were produced 2+ years.

correct.

twice as many 2.0 D jet were made.
4 times as many 1.7 D jet.

approx 30,000 1.8 L jets in 412s
with mostly identical components.
close to zero still running?
be more 914s preserved.

all parts for this L jet version 1 would have been warehoused in the USA.
sold nowhere else.

wonkipop
QUOTE(StarBear @ Jul 19 2022, 10:44 AM) *

@wonkipop As promised, here's the white font version; I think the text shows up much better.

Click to view attachment

thanks.

the red and black version is the one i love.
same as the car.
essendon football club colors (the bombers).

Click to view attachment

red and white is the sydney swans. barf.gif
StarBear
Great! Works for you so go with it. Can appreciate the “colors”.
Van B
Well, I straight up missed this page...
http://www.914world.com/specs/productionnumbers.php
wonkipop
QUOTE(Van B @ Jul 20 2022, 09:57 AM) *

Well, I straight up missed this page...
http://www.914world.com/specs/productionnumbers.php

yep.
but the figures are for calendar years not model years.
so it gets mixed up from that point of view.
Van B
Not really. You said you could figure exactly the number of ‘75 models, right? So the remainder would be ‘74 1.8’s produced in 1974.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Van B @ Jul 20 2022, 05:18 PM) *

Not really. You said you could figure exactly the number of ‘75 models, right? So the remainder would be ‘74 1.8’s produced in 1974.

i've already done it for you mate.
its on page 4 of this thread.
got you the exact number of 1974 1.8s 10,452.

the figure was inclusive of euro 1.8s which i cannot separate out.
(you can waterboard me to interrogate the maths, its all up there for airforce scrutiny).

i got you exact breakdown figures for 75 1.8 L jets and 75 1.8 euros which i could do off engine numbers.
my kremlin source leaked a dossier on those.

steve's smokescreen of beer labels distracted you.

now you can order an airstrike on URO parts.

EDIT
a bonus for you, since i failed to provide military grade intelligence on 74 L jet numbers - and i know you want to slip some 1,8 euro pistons in yours.
glove box manual for uk 75.
respected owners enough to tell them to lubricate the distributor.
don't think those of us with USA cars were trusted to do that?
(no retard on vac can! - poms still loved NOX and pea soup fog).

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

check out the use of the word "bonnet" in guidance to lubricate the rear trunk lid rollers.
thats a pure bit of pommy lingo.
our USA booklets call it a rear lid hinge.
these booklets are so tuned to the language of their markets. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

i must admit i can still remember my mothers' datsun 180B handbook written in Japlish - which she would put in front of me at the dinner table and ask me what it meant. smile.gif
wonkipop
@davep

i mentioned in pm that i had also seen an example of karmann rivetted tag on rhs of front trunk similar to what you brought up.

digging through files accumulated on ECA/B research i located them.

here they are. more surprising than i recalled.
perhaps you already have these examples.

1)
VIN 4742918254
K # 2019552
= mon 13 may 74 build commencement.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

2)
VIN 4742918255
K # 1959559
= friday 10 may 74 commencement

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

cars are 1 VIN # apart.
tags gone in on the lhs on friday car and rhs on monday car.

after that date examples i have (2 weeks later and a june car) the tag goes back to rhs.
a momentary abberation.
StarBear
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jul 22 2022, 04:00 AM) *

@davep

after that date examples i have (2 weeks later and a june car) the tag goes back to rhs.
a momentary abberation.

Hans was on vacation; Wilhelm filled in that day. blink.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(StarBear @ Jul 22 2022, 05:34 AM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jul 22 2022, 04:00 AM) *

@davep

a momentary abberation.

Hans was on vacation; Wilhelm filled in that day. blink.gif

they transferred wilhelm to the right hand drive beetle convertible line on tuesday. dry.gif
wonkipop
new data
entered into tables on page 1 of thread.

05/74 low miles original condition 1.8 L jet.
VIN # 4742917931
K # 1939542 Wed 8/MAY/74

no emissions sticker visible.
2 hose tune up sticker = EC-B
distributor vac hose hook up consistent with EC-B
Sold new in West Virginia.
engine stamp = 604. consistent with EC-B, no temp gauge option installed from factory (EC-B engine with standard sump lid).
metal fuel expansion tank. (to note fuel tank was replaced with new part but original expansion tank appears to have been re-used, see original sticker). 8 may consistent with cut off date of approx may 10 for metal expansion tank.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
StarBear
@wonkipop I’m planning on redoing a sheet of tune up stickers. Could you remind me which ones had the single vacuum hose sticker (EC-A Caalifornia?) and which the dual hoses (EC-B non California?).
I think I need to make a scorecard sheet to keep these variants straight. dry.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(StarBear @ Jul 30 2022, 06:49 AM) *

@wonkipop I’m planning on redoing a sheet of tune up stickers. Could you remind me which ones had the single vacuum hose sticker (EC-A Caalifornia?) and which the dual hoses (EC-B non California?).
I think I need to make a scorecard sheet to keep these variants straight. dry.gif

biggrin.gif

you got it right above steve. beerchug.gif

it was all a lot simpler 30 years ago living in ignorant bliss.
StarBear
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jul 30 2022, 09:07 AM) *

biggrin.gif

Got it! Will let you and @Van B know when they're done so if you want you can sport a correct 2-hose tuneup sticker. piratenanner.gif
Just revisited the 12/25/2021 entry above which indicates the reverse (EC-A are 49 states and EC-B are California). blink.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(StarBear @ Jul 30 2022, 10:00 AM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jul 30 2022, 09:07 AM) *

biggrin.gif

Got it! Will let you and @Van B know when they're done so if you want you can sport a correct 2-hose tuneup sticker. piratenanner.gif
Just revisited the 12/25/2021 entry above which indicates the reverse (EC-A are 49 states and EC-B are California). blink.gif

not sure what entry you are referring to.
perhaps @JeffBowlsby at the start of it all suggesting EC-B was california and A was 49.
jeff was using the logic of the 1,7 engines and later 75 cars.
as we discovered it is german logic of a different order. biggrin.gif

EC-A = 74 california.
EC-B = 74 49 states.

its all there on page 1 of this thread with the photos to demonstrate.
and as we know our cars are EC-B and are 49 states from new.

in 75 it goes EC-a = 49 states. and EC-b = california.
not capital letters.
however that engine labelling only happens in a service introduction guide for dealers and mechanics to the 75 model. the engine emissions labels on all 75 cars is done in an updated manner that refers to engine families and engine type and no longer uses the EC format.

i do believe there is a reason that happens with the capital A and the small a but i won't go into it here. suffice to say that basically a 74 california engine is in fact a 75 49 states. hence A becomes a. and in a more complex way the EC-B of 49 states becomes the EC-b of california a year later. but i will save that up unless someone really wants to know. its just an observation rather than something you can document from any contemporary technical documents.

beer3.gif
JeffBowlsby
I was thinking about the charcoal can air supply and vapor exit lines again, and how switching them cleans up the 1.8L engine bay a bit. Might even do a better job of cleaning up the vapors. Eliminates the crossed S-hose in the middle of the engine bay.

It looks so right for all the wrong reasons and so wrong for all the right reasons. aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.