Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fred's Backyard LE Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
friethmiller
QUOTE(930cabman @ Apr 16 2024, 11:05 AM) *

Great progress and great photos. Will you be removing the /4 mounts?

We are slightly ahead of your project, just a rebuild of my 40IDT 3C carbs is all that stands in the way of her barking.

@930cabman - No, I've already removed, rebuilt, and reinstalled the passenger side engine mount. And just to be clear, this isn't a /6 conversion so the /4 mounts will remain. biggrin.gif I don't think I could live with myself doing that with an LE. I'm still trying to finish tasks like the engine hood pull tube and a few other small items in the engine bay.

Finally purchased a real sandblaster to clean things up that I just can get or can't get to. My next post will start to show this.

Great to hear about your /6!
Freezin 914
Such a cool build thread! Very inspiring! Keep up the great work……. popcorn[1].gif
Drex
Wow, what a great job!!

This is the 1st thread i reviewed since i came back

it really looked like a hopeless case
but your skills are bringing it back to life.

i feel bad that my parts car ended up at the dump
you coud have used several parts off it
and seeing what your doing now
i'd have brought it down to you free!!

Dave
73-914
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Mar 20 2024, 06:03 PM) *

Relax and take a DEEP breath!

It's an H6, not a V6!

I'd change it quick before anyone notices....

Progress looks GREAT!

TOO Late lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif stirthepot.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
73-914
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Mar 20 2024, 06:03 PM) *

Relax and take a DEEP breath!

It's an H6, not a V6!

I'd change it quick before anyone notices....

Progress looks GREAT!

TOO Late lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif stirthepot.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
friethmiller
QUOTE(Drex @ Apr 18 2024, 06:16 PM) *

Wow, what a great job!!

This is the 1st thread i reviewed since i came back

it really looked like a hopeless case
but your skills are bringing it back to life.

i feel bad that my parts car ended up at the dump
you coud have used several parts off it
and seeing what your doing now
i'd have brought it down to you free!!

Dave

LOL! Right. My wife would have LOVED you for doing it, too. No worries. I work with what I've got or can source. biggrin.gif

Thanks Dave and welcome back!

Fred
friethmiller
Driver Side Jack Post Area: (4/20/2024):

Shifting gears just a bit here. I decided that in order to continue sandblasting the engine bay, I needed to weld-up the 2 foot wide hole in the driver side longitudinal / jack post area. Starting with the piece that I removed back in January and hit lightly with the sandblaster last weekend, I began by outlining the metal that I'd needed to replace and figuring out which patches I wanted to do first. Ultimately, I decided on the top and middle pieces first, followed by the angular pieces around the jack post. Using panel clamps to help hold things flat, I was able to quickly tack-in each patch. My hope here was that I could just go with the original jack post tube and not have to deal with cutting/replacing the pipe from its recessed area. After further review.... no way. The pipe was just too rusty. Luckily I have some left over 1 1/4" inch pipe from the rotisserie that will work perfectly. The pics here show the progress of the repairs. The weather was threatening rain all day and I was able to get the last patch in place before things got wet. With the rain coming down, I decided it was wise to wait and grind the welds in morning. The last two photos are from the next day and show the "patched" panel cleaned up and ready to go on the car.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

friethmiller
Driver Side Jack Post Area - Part 2: (4/21/2024):

After grinding the welds down (see previous post above), I moved on with getting this metal welded into the car. My plan was to install the part and then later hit the jack post area with the sandblaster before moving on with other related tasks. Well, sometimes you forget how long it takes! This took me pretty much all day to do. So many holes! The wind wasn't helping me at all either and I'll need come back through later and touch up some spots/pin holes.

You can see I had to start with the 90 edge at the firewall where the Rest. Design part was too short. You may also have noticed the two small holes just above the repair area. This is the wiring tab that helps hold the wiring loom going to the circuit board inside the engine bay. I've been replacing a lot of these worn out tabs as I've went along. While my welds got a little ugly here, I did manage to get part is in. I'll work on cleaning up the area next weekend.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.