Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 RC body
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Bleyseng
Count me in for 2, one 914 and one 914/6GT
Geoff
MadMike
De-lurking for a second here, I have the perfect project for this body! If someones buying some count me in for one and let me know who to send the money to!!

Thanks!
Mike
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Feb 10 2003, 10:40 PM)
Now lets see who figures out first to make a large "Jello shot" 914.

OK, that does it! I'm in for one. 914 Jello Shot, here I come!!! boldblue.gif
(I have some freinds who have figured out how to get vodka + jello to set up properly so the result isn't as runny as you usually find.)

Heh, that sucker'll be more than a shot, though. rolleyes.gif

--DD
djm914-6
Demick, You are right that the M chassis is a beginner car, but not all are front wheel drive. The Carrera, Boxster and S2000 is rear wheel drive and mid engined.

To reach 30+mph you need...
Ball bearings
Oil filled shocks
Electronic Speed Controller
Hot Stock or mild Modified Motor
Stickier tires... Yokohama A032Rs?
There may me more options for this chassis too.
Demick
Along the same lines here, there is a company in Germany called White Point that makes 1/24 scale slot cars. They make 2 914 bodies as shown here:

IPB Image
IPB Image

The bodies are less than 10 euros each. Come unpainted (clear lexan), and without any decals. You can also buy the whole slot car kit for less than 60 euros.

Web sites are:
914/6 Gruppe 4
914/4 and supposedly 914/8

There is a whole variety of inexpensive 1/24 scale RC cars out now that these would probably fit on. Otherwise, they would make great jello molds being only about 6 inches long instead of more like 14" for the 1/10 scale ones. Would it be possible to get some of these shipped along with the 1/10 scale ones? I'd take a couple of them!

Demick
'74 2.0
mikerose
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Feb 10 2003, 07:52 PM)
I've got two more from rennlist, so make that 9 biggrin.gif

who's next?

cheers,

Jeroen

Jeroen, I would like one (1) to.

Mike
gm9142l
Ill take one of the 914 bodies. Would look so much nicer then the mini cooper on my m-chassis

Greg
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Demick @ Feb 11 2003, 12:22 PM)
Otherwise, they would make great jello molds being only about 6 inches long instead of more like 14" for the 1/10 scale ones.

Yeah... If I can get one of those as well (might as well have a back-up plan) that would be kewl. smile.gif Stock-type bodies, if availble, please!

--DD
Aaron Cox
Ill definetly take 1...ya that german page is hard to read...(huh?) how much for shipping ya think
huh.gif
Mueller
Shipping shouldn't be too bad....I just sent a box to Jeroen today that wieghed 15 pounds with dimensions of 20*28*20...total cost was 28 dollars
Alfred
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Feb 10 2003, 10:44 PM)
OK found it.

18.13284  this part number is it the body or just the mold?
I will need the stickerswhich ones do you need?
these 18.69206  or These

18.13208 I am also interested in this 356 body

69215 and these stickers for the body

Can someone post a picture of the 914 body 18.13284 here? I can't get the web page http://www.witkowski.de/shop/index.html?ta...Karosserie.html to load completely.

Thanks,
Alfred
Jeroen
Alfred,

The picture in the first post of this thread is the body (unpainted)
There's also been a pic of a blue one posted

cheers,

Jeroen
Jeroen
Looks like the decals have to be ordered seperatly...
I have no idea how much they are
Once I have a good idea of how many to order, I'll get some details from the seller

cheers,

Jeroen
Rouser
Put me down for one (1) 914 body.

Are there 2 different bodies available, a "regular" 914 and a 914-6GT/916? I couldn't find the two, just the one label "916".

IPB Image
echocanyons
IPB Image

this is the picture of 18.13284

Meuller also posted it on one of the other pages
Chuck Null
New member here, but an old RC racer. I would like to join the bulk order for the 914 bodies. Any idea what scale car they fit? I would want to get 6 if I can. I am in the Los Angeles area.
Mueller
Demick wrote:
Standard touring car chassis have a 256mm wheelbase and either 190 or 200mm width. This body was designed for a series of cars made by Tamiya called the M series (M-02L, M-03L, M-04L). They have 239mm wheelbases and between 170 and 180mm width.

Once we have one of those bodies we have one CMM'd and then scaled up to create a body for the standard touring car chassis...I'd also like to see a smaller body for the new Kyosho Mini-Z remote cars.

A non-GT flared version would be nice to have as well, but I do not believe those are availble from the same company.
These too could be made at the same time since the same data from the CMM could be used to create the non-GT flared body pattern.
Chuck Null
I was involved in the approval of RC bodies for the US ruling body and know several of the companies in this area that pull the lexan bodies from the molds. Let me know if I can help.
Demick
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 12 2003, 11:57 AM)
[.I'd also like to see a smaller body for the new Kyosho Mini-Z remote cars.

A non-GT flared version would be nice to have as well, but I do not believe those are availble from the same company.

Mike - look at one of my earlier posts about 1/24 scale slot car bodies. These may very well fit the Mini-Z cars which are 1/28 scale (but a 1/28 scale of a larger car might fit a 1/24 scale of a 914 since the 914 is a small car). Depends on wheelbase and track. They even have a flared and non-flared version (look for the pics).

Demick
Mueller
There are a few of us here that can model up a body in any of the popular Solid-modeling programs...I just need a smaller version than my own life size car to get dimensions from. (my calipers only go to 12", LOL)

Do you know what format these companies work with?
Can they import electronic files to create the mold?
Chuck Null
The cars are carved by hand as scale is not the issue. A mold is made and an epoxy is used to create the unit that will go onto the vacuum base. Holes are place in the buck so that the lexan will get sucked down when heated up. The molds cost about $500.00 each to create once the carving is done. The mold could be CNCed, do we know someone that can do that? It has to smooth as glass to obtain the finish needed.
Mueller
hmmmm? I happen to have a CNC sitting idle in my garage smile.gif

It needs a few hundred bucks worth of work to finish it up correctly....I've been too busy playing with the 1:1 914 right now........this weekend I hope to work on it for a few hours to get the backlash out of it

So is the buck wood? That would be perfect since my mill is not really suited for big heavy metal items...I have cut some aluminum and once I finish upgrading it, mild steel should be okay.
Chuck Null
Wood and clay as I understand. Does someone have the tool to read in the current body and tweak it? That may be easier than starting from a clean sheet. Is someone getting a few of the bodies from Europe? If the wheel base is good, a section can be taken from the center to change the width.
Mueller
Brad has a CMM....

It would be easier on a more modern CMM that would map out the outlines of the model....I think his only does point to point and referance.

A better solution would be to get a 3D laser scan of the body and then modify it to suit. Not sure how much that would cost or not. I do know for my small mill they sell a package that allows me to "trace" over a part using a special tip that goes back and forth over the object and gives you an electronic version of the object.
richardL
Perhaps you could use a plastic contruction kit body to get the measurements you need (or at least a first set that can then be refined)?

R
Mueller
The only plastic model I have is the Richie Ginther model...

no windscreen or targa top smile.gif
richardL
I have the Richie Ginther model and also the basic 914 2.0 model. Both are still in the box, pieces are all still attached to the plastic flash - not made up

R
Aaron Cox
we Need to start a poll on how many are buddy jeroen needs to order. the things weigh absolutely nothing...so shipping is pretty much just box dimension costs. Can the bodies be taken out of plastic bags and stacked on top of each other like plastic cups? then put in one box to the "us ditributor" to then be mailed to others? them the box charge would be more. 1 big box from jeroen to US. Bizillions of little boxes to the us recipients right? Im still down for one (*1*)
How much would estimated total cost be to socal?

we should have a custom painting contest or something. HEHE tongue.gif

Aaron
Chuck Null
The problem is that RC cars are not to scale on width vs lenght. It takes some art to make it look right. Do we know anyone that sculpts in clay? Back pouring bodies to get a base is also done at times.
Aaron Cox
So...when shall be the cutoff date? currently these are firm offers....
seanery 2, mueller 2, gary 3, Rennlist guys 2?, johnwatts 2, carera916 2, a914luvr 2, mike9142.0 1, echocanyons 1,
jkeyser 1+, justin fischer 2, porsche pony 2, acox914 1, ojm 5, rhaas 1, demick 2, seanery 1 more, bleysing 2, madmike 1, dave d. 1, mikerose 1, gm9142l 1, rouser 1, chuck null 6,

currently 45 firm. + rennlist peoples....

how much for shipping and when is confused24.gif cutoff date?
kafermeister
cool.gif Well....I'm going to throw the numbers off. I want one too. The price is fine with me. I just need to know where to send the money.

Rick Harris
If anyone is keeping tabs on the locations I'm in 41051.
echocanyons
OK Im gonna have to splarge and get TWO 914 bodies

And I should prolly get TWO 356 bodies too.

Kelly
racerbvd
How much are they?? I'm interested one!!, Maybe two!! mueba.gif aktion035.gif
Jeroen
I'll count all the "orders" here plus the ones I received by e-mail this weekend, so I have an idea where we stand

Then I'll e-mail the shop in Germany, asking for a decent discount
I also believe the decals are separately sold, so I'll have to get a price on those too

I'll forward that info here and on rennlist and see how many people will stand up and REALLY want to order one biggrin.gif

I am NOT gonna order 100 of these bodies and be stuck with 75, if you catch my drift...

cheers,

Jeroen
djm914-6
If you get stuck with a few, let me know. I may be able to buy a few extras if need be.
Jeroen
I don't wanna get stuck with any. Period!
biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Gint
I've already conspired with Dave to purchase one and have him paint it, but I'd like another in case I want to do Jello shots.

Put me down for one Jeroen. Thanks for the work you're putting into this effort. pray.gif
seanery
You shouldn't have to get stuck with any!

I say get the $ before you order. Period.

It's not fair for someone to do something to help others and then get stuck because of it!
echocanyons
I agree set it up like a bulk buy and pay in advance.
kafermeister
Byron, I believe they're 16.5 Euro.

IOW, Just under $20 USD (depending on the daily exchange) + shipping costs.
PorschePony
Guys, I fave found a wholesaler in CA who deals with these people. I am working with Jerone, and we are getting confirmation to day if they can get us the 45+ units, time frame. THey really don't import them to the states, that he can find, so it is a rare item if we get them! The cost breakdown is as follows.

If we buy in bulk, as we are, and send to one person, he will sell them @19.95 each sitting in CA. My quick cost analysis is as follows:

Shipping from Ohio, (centrally located) I checkedUPS, USPS, and Fedex on a 12"x12"x18" box (standard size) and found the cheapest was Fedex @about 7.00 Ground, and that was based on size,not weight.

First Car body w/shipping, packaging $30.00 each.
Each additional Car body (up to 5) $22.00 each.

Breakdown: $20 Car body
$ 1 Shipping to me
$ 2 packaging, box, stickers, etc
$ 7 Shipping to person

The packaging price can be adjusted by region, but the shipping cost is the big hit on the price.

Jeroen and I are discussing the ways to pass the money along, and I do have Paypal, which allows everyone to pay quickly, and easily.

How does that sound?
Jeroen
I'd say we go Ed's route

First of all, it would be a lot simpler (and save me a lot of hassle too biggrin.gif )
If the orders go through me, I'd have to receive payments for the bodies and the bulkshipping from each person who wants one.
I have a paypal account, but can not cash checks or money orders from those who don't
Then there would have to be a second payment to whom ever is going to distribute these things in the US (Seanery or Richard L.) for shipping within the US

Second, I think it's cheaper for you guys...
You save:
bulk shipping from germany to the netherlands
bulk shipping from the netherlands to the US
prolly additional taxes and duties on import as well

Ed's guy "only" got 45 bodies, and I my estimate is that there is interest for about twice that. But I'm sure that if he can get 45 he won't have any trouble getting more...
If it turns out he can't I'll be happy to help anyone who missed out

So, if it's alright with you, I'll pass things on to Ed...

cheers,

Jeroen
seanery
Ed's idea works for me.

Remember, Ed, that Paypal is gonna charge a 3% premium on monies transfered.
So we should add an appropriate amount so it doesn't cost him $.

my 2 cents
si2t3m
Count me in for one.

I've looked on tamiya's site for the M-series RC cars.

Any idea of how much $$$ for one of those?

TIA

Marc-André
djm914-6
I've been buying products from Tower Hobbies (www.towerhobbies.com) for over 18 years without a problem, I highly recommend them if you need a chassis for your new 914 body.

For price examples the Tamiya Boxster is $94. It is available in a combo (all needed components) with prices ranging from $170 to $234 depending on equipment quality.

Don't forget you need to paint your new 914 too. It is a clear body and should be painted on the inside in a color of your choice with paind made for this type of plastic. Remember YMPAF! (Yellow Model Porsches Are Faster) biggrin.gif
Demick
There are 3 Taymia M-series kits that will fit this body. The M-02L, M-03L and M-04L. The M-02L is sort of a cheesy design with a single horizontal shock for both front and both rear wheels, and will probably handle fairly crappy because of that. Unfortunately, that is the chassis that the 911 and Boxster sit on (the 911 and Boxster would otherwise be good choices because they come with Porsche wheels - Turbo Twist). The M-03L chassis is front motor, front wheel drive - which should be OK, but I prefer rear wheel drive. I'm also not sure about body fit on this chassis since this chassis can only take the new Mini Cooper body and not any of the other M-chassis bodies. The M-04L chassis is by far the best of the three. It comes with 2 different kits: The Honda S2000 (kit #58236), and the BMW M-Roadster (kit #58240). Only drawback to these would be the non-Porsche wheels. But you can buy the Porsche Turbo Twist wheels separately if thats what you would prefer (or dozens of other styles for that matter).

I also highly recommend Tower Hobbies.

Demick
'74 2.0
jtf914
Here is a link to the different chassis styles: Tamiya
djm914-6
Well, after some double checking, it looks like the M-04L is the one to get. The Boxster and Carrera chassis are too short.

Looks like I'll be buying the BMW M roadster for myself. It's not that too expensive at $95. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...p?&I=LXNU29&P=0
Demick
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Feb 19 2003, 08:37 AM)
Well, after some double checking, it looks like the M-04L is the one to get. The Boxster and Carrera chassis are too short.

Boxster and Carrera chassis are not too short (they are based on the M-02L chassis, not the M-02 or M-02M which would be too short). It just turns out that the M-02L, while it will fit, is sort of a sucky chassis design.

Demick
'74 2.0
PorschePony
Guys,

My contact says he should have the details today. He is traveling from a Toy show in NY and left me an emial that is trying to follow up with them.

Note: I asked about the chassis on the car pictured, and he says they sell it too.

RTR (Ready to Race with radio motor all you have to do is paint the body
$350.00) Two Speed 55MPH out of the box.

Your $95 car needs bearings, controls, battery, etc.

Something to consider if this all pans out. I am going for his chassis, if possible. My thought is this, why crash something at 30mph, and do major damage, when I can crash it at 55mph, and leave no trace of the original shell....

ed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.