Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: There sure are a lot of parts in a 901 box
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
DNHunt
I installed the 2 paper gaskets and installed the gear tack in the case. I used an old slider and my biggest pipe wrench to hold the pinion shaft so I could torque 1st gear. I know that looks gruesome but, it worked well.
DNHunt
Gear stack done and intermediate plate installed
DNHunt
Time for reverse. It starts with a roller bearing. The thrust washer remained on the shaft.
DNHunt
Then a spacer
DNHunt
Then a second roller bearing
DNHunt
Reverse gear slips over the roller bearings and spacer. The staight cut gears go toward the case
DNHunt
Another bearing
DNHunt
Another thrust washer. This has a cut out machined into it that will overlap par of the race for the drive shaft in the intermediate plate. It's a bitch to keep on and oriented right. I used some grease to keep it in place.
DNHunt
I removed the bolt from the speedo drive and pulled the drive part way out. It makes it easier to seat the rear cover.
DNHunt
Torqued down the cover nuts and replaced the speedo and speedo bolt . Everything seems to turn really well.
DNHunt
Reconditioning the shift console starts with removing the roll pin holding the fork.
DNHunt
Take it apart and this is what you have. Getting the small seal in the console out is a little tough without a seal puller.
DNHunt
Here is the seal for the rod
DNHunt
The seal installed
DNHunt
The larger plastic washer goes on the shaft before reinserting it.
DNHunt
Inserting the rod in the console
DNHunt
The top washer is the smaller plastic one.
DNHunt
The fork goes on the shaft. The long leg goes toward the bottom and the 3 lugs point the same direction as the lever on the rod
DNHunt
Tap in the roll pin
DNHunt
Change the O-ring and istall the gasket and put it in. [Edit by McMark: No gasket. The gasket that looks like it goes here is for the tailshifter transmissions.]
DNHunt
A couple of casualities. A broken drive flange expansion bolt. I used the wrong torque spec. And a pinched O-ring
DNHunt
Done!! smilie_pokal.gif I just need to add Swepco. I sure hope it works

Dave
LvSteveH
Thanks for putting so much time into documenting the rebuild. It's the best I've seen in terms of photos. Good Luck!
ws91420
Would it be possible to get this into an Adobe file? Would be a great resource while reassembly of mine.
maf914
Dave,

Once again, you've provided a super article. Great photos and narrative. Instant classic. smilie_pokal.gif Thanks so much.

Transmissions are still a mystery to me and will be until I take one apart. Kinda scary. huh.gif
lapuwali
Excellent article, Dave.

The key thing to take away from this is that, unlike rebuilding an engine, a transmission is full of parts that all look the same, but aren't the same. It's very important to do something like what he did with the coat hangers so you dont' mix up the order of the parts on the shafts. Some people use a large table and simply place the parts on the table in the order they remove them from the shaft. The nice thing about the coat hanger is that it takes up less space, and there's less chance of some buddy, child, dog, whatever coming along and messing up the order of the parts on the table by accident.
DNHunt
James

The other thing about the coat hanger is that it keeps the orientation of the parts the same. Some things like the cone washers and gears can't be flipped. Even with that I managed to mix up a couple of gears and I didn't catch it until I was trying to put the drive shaft in the intermediate plate.

Dave
Bleyseng
I label the gears with black felt pen as I take them out, saves on time trying to figure out what is what. wink.gif
McMark
Thank you Dave! Another great article for the Classics. smilie_pokal.gif
ctc911ctc
I just read this entire thread - twice and watched the Dr. Evil video (a few times)

Question @DNhunt , how did the tranny run after all of that work?

Thank you,
CTC911CTC
914werke
HOLY RESURRECTION! pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.