Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: There sure are a lot of parts in a 901 box
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
DNHunt
Lots and lots of parts that are hard to keep track of. And lots of cleaning.
DNHunt
What have I done?
DNHunt
This started as a grind in 1st and 2nd. I used Bondo's and Red Beards info to get it apart. One thing I would advise is take it apart before you order parts cause it may be worse than you think and surprises are expensive. I invested in some syncros, dogteeth, gaskets and such before I found this. The price tag just went up.
DNHunt
So here I go. The race for the new big bearing on the pinion shaft needed to be installed in the case. It is positioned by a couple of snap rings. The reason I went ahead with this tranny was because this race is still a press fit into this case. I used piston ring pliers to expand this snap ring and istall it on the race. I haven't reistalled the ring gear and diff yet cause I wanted to be able to verify if the race was seated.
DNHunt
One snap ring on
DNHunt
Seating the race. I used a piece of PVC pipe about the same diameter to drive the race in. I tapped very lightly, slow going. The case wouldn't fit in the oven and the wife was on a terror last night so I couldn't heat it. mad.gif
DNHunt
Here is the race seated and the second snap ring installed. The 1st ring contrats against the bearing race. The second ring expands against the case. These 2 rings on the race trap the bearing race in position. Pretty cool.
DNHunt
New seals. I sure love PVC pipe
Bleyseng
Ran it low on oil huh, Dave.

Watch how you install the gears back onto the shafts, they should be prefectly aligned with each other. They have a shoulder on them so they face only one way (look in the book or do you have the workshop manual?).
Aligning the shift rods is tricky so follow the books carefully.

Looks good!
DNHunt
Time to install this after a few squirts of gear lube and a little lube in the bearings
DNHunt
Installed
DNHunt
I installed a new O ring with a little gear lube and torqued down the cover
DNHunt
Onto the gear stack. I needed to replace dogteeth on 2nd gear. I put the gear in a vice and tap off the dogteeth with a mallet amd chisel. It ruins the chisel but, the gear is fine.
Verruckt
QUOTE (DNHunt @ Nov 5 2005, 08:31 AM)
What have I done?

What manual is that, and where did you get it? I'm looking for one of those. I have a few that I'm going to be digging into over the winter months.
DNHunt
Here's the new dogteeth installed on the gear. 2nd gets a new syncro, new dogteeth and the 4th - 5th slider. 3rd gets a new syncro.
DNHunt
I put the brake band stops (I can't remember if they are called stops or blocks) on the dogteeth of 2nd gear.
DNHunt
Brake bands installed. There are 2 on 2nd through 5 th. 1 on 1st.
DNHunt
This picture shows the new syncro installed and it's relationship with the brake band blocks. Nice sharp new dogteeth biggrin.gif
DNHunt
I installed the snap ring (a bitch) to finsh the assembly of 2nd gear.
DNHunt
I had a hell of a time with the snap rings slipping off of my pliers so I cut off some 6lb finishing nails and filed the heads down until they fit in the holes in the rings. The heads kepth the rings from shooting off.
914werke
Dude I just start this myself!
Planned on just pulling one apart so I could clean the case, and inspect the internals at same time.
Now Im VERY affraid, and In awe at the same time.
Not sure I have the skills (or patience ohmy.gif ) for this.
Allan
Nice work!!!
Tom Perso
Nice trick with the 6 penny nails. I HATE snap rings...

Tom
J P Stein
Ah, good....Dave is doing this.
I have an AX tomorrow then it's....ta da!...."winter project"
time. (sometimes stretching into spring dry.gif )

Amongst the items to be covered is installing a 'B' first gear.
Since Dave will soon be an expert, he can come down & bail me out of the mess I'll make.
If I work a bunch of OT, maybe a 904 mainshaft & a new 2nd wacko.gif
If I hit the lotto, an LSD rolleyes.gif
DNHunt
Onto the pinion shaft. Just got back from a soccer game. This is the roller bearing at the flywheel end of the pinion shaft. It goes in the race I installed in the case. I drove it on with a piece of galvanized pipe on the race
DNHunt
Next come the shims that help set pinion depth.
DNHunt
I had 3 shims in this box. I think there can be different numbers unlike the endplay shims on a type 4. The washer that goes next is on the bench
DNHunt
After that washer is 5th gear. One of the hard things is keeping everything in order. I used coat hangers to run through the center of everthing. Then I could just pull one thing off at a time. it worked really wel except for 1 set of gears. Watch and see if you can find the mistake. I'll let you know when you should be able to see it
DNHunt
There is a ridge on one side of 4th and 5th gear that butts up to the spacing collar between them. You can see it on the top of the gear near the splined shaft. Ah sh*t off to a wedding reception. Yes honey barf.gif
DNHunt
4th gear with the ridge down facing the spacing collar
DNHunt
Another washer
DNHunt
Next comes the race for the roller bearing for the 3rd gear assembly.
DNHunt
Roller bearing for 3rd gear goes on next. It just slips over the race
DNHunt
Here's the roller bearing on the race ready to install the 3rd gear assembly (gear, brake band and blocks, dogteeth, syncro, and snap ring). All of the gears go on the shafts like this.
DNHunt
3rd gear assembly goes over the race and roller bearing with the dogteeth and snap ring up.
DNHunt
Next is the slider hub for the 2nd and 3rd slider. Don't worry about which way it goes. There is no top or bottom so ram it home. sheeplove.gif
DNHunt
2nd, 3rd slider fits on its hub. You can't miss with this.
DNHunt
Next the 2nd gear race, roller bearing and gear assembly go on the shaft. The dogteeth point down toward the slider
DNHunt
Another cone washer goes on next. You have to keep them in order cause they are all just a little different. 2nd gear is on the pinion shaft with the dogteeth pointed toward the slider (in this case down away from the camera).
DNHunt
Finally, the race for the ball bearing in the intermediate plate. Once this is tapped down the pinion shaft is ready to go in the intermediate plate.
DNHunt
The finished pinion shaft assembly
bd1308
wow. so 2nd and 3rd are the only gears with a slider...?

1st and reverse is on the other side of the intermediate plate right?

b
DNHunt
Time to assemble the drive shaft. 2nd gear on the usual box is ground as part of the drive shaft so, so I got a freebie cause there is no way to screw it up. The first thing I put on was the race for the double ball bearing in the intermediate plate. It goes on the side of 2nd gear with the short part of the shaft.
DNHunt
Now I turned the shaft over so i was putting parts on the long end of the drive shaft. 3rd gear next
DNHunt
Next goes a flat washer
DNHunt
Here's the beginning of the one mistake I made (the one I caught at least). Next goes the 4th gear assembly. It goes on over a race and roller bearing just like 2nd and 3rd assemblies on the pinion shaft. Always, dogteeth toward the slider
DNHunt
4th, 5th slider hub. There is no right or wrong side, just slide it on.
DNHunt
4th, 5th slider. I swapped this slider with the 2nd, 3rd slider because the 2nd, 3rd slider had a touch of wear and 4th and 5th don't get used as much as 2nd and 3rd.
DNHunt
I'm still continuing in my ignorance. 5th gear assembly goes on with the dogteeth down toward the slider.
DNHunt
Cone washer
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.