Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The $5k Engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Bezerker420
I'm with the donkey...

People either have their sweet little engine, or still pipe dreamin' about it....
The "volume" will come with time, not everyone is buying engines every weekend....

But, Napa huh? Valley or City? Your only like 4.5 hours south of me!

If one would to come down there with a wad of cash for that motor, what could I get outta there for total? I wouldnt have a core for yah, as my stock 1.7L FI is running just fine and is still installed. I could get it back to you in a week or so, or just sell a perfectly running 1.7FI, [just got a sweet tune up like 6 weeks ago compression is only low by 5 on ONE cylinder!!]

I also need a new tranny, mines a tail now, wanna switch out for a sideshift, If you can assist in this procurement at the same time would be incredible...

You can PM me If you like...

-B

McMark
I'm in the city of Napa. wavey.gif

It takes a fair amount of time from the time the order is placed until the time it is ready for delivery. I assume you're talking about a 2056. The longblock price is $5000, the core charge is $750, it sounds like you want either FI or Carbs as well and it's $1000 either way. A distributor is gonna run $350 Exhaust you'll have to find on your own, SSIs are good and I like the Triad muffler. So all of that comes to $7150.

I don't have any trannys that I can sell you. I would recommend finding a good used one.
xlchspor
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 12 2005, 07:46 AM) *

Yet again this group has proven that you can literally give them EXACTLY what they want for the price they want and they still won't open their wallet- not even an ounce!

The only way this was going to work for Mark, or myself was with volume sales and its pretty apparent that the volume won't be worth the effort we (Mark and I) have already put into it.

For Christs Sakes man give it some time! your offering a hell of a good deal but your also offering a motor for more than what most people have paid for thier cars.
Qball
McMark,
sent you a PM
Qball

Mark,
Good talking to you today and very happy we can do business drunk.gif

2056 here I come driving.gif
Ctrout
So it's been said that a 2270 from Mark would likely be very close in price as one that was built by Jake himself. What kind of price are we talkin' for a 2270 "Performer" longblock? $7000 delivered with no core charges? $11,000 delivered with an additional $1200 in core charges? Can anyone throw out a ballpark figure?
McMark
The kit prices are not up right now. I expect it would run around $10k, but I'll repost once I get a kit price from Jake.
patrick3000
Jake and Mark,

Thanks for putting this deal together it is a good opportunity for anyone that does not wish to build their own engine. beerchug.gif

Regards,

Karl
McMark
Pictures of the rebuild heads.

* Cracks are repaired
* New Seats
* New Valves
* New Guides
* 12 mm Spark Plug Modification
* Exhaust Seal Surface is trued to reduce exhaust leaks
* New Exhaust Studs
* New Intake Studs
* New Valve Springs
* New Spring Retainers
* New Rocker Studs
* Sealing Surface is trued
DanT
Mark, maybe I missed it earlier in this thread, but are you having the heads done by Len or someone in Norcal?
How much $$$ to do a complete job like this on a 2.0L head? Or pair?

those look fantastic. biggrin.gif

Thanks
Dan
McMark
Dan, these are being send to Adrian at Headflow Masters in Vista, CA (SoCal). Adrian has less of a wait time and his work is perfect for these engines. I can't give an accurate cost on the heads because the parts come from Jake and are part of the kit, so I don't know how much they cost separate. The condition of your existing heads is also a huge factor. I would say, budget $800 for a pair and you should be safe.
DanT
Thanks...that is what I needed to know.
Once I pull my motor out and apart in the next few weeks, I will check the heads and see if it is worth repairing/rebuilding my old heads or pop for some new LE180s.
Do you have any contact information for Headflow Masters?

Thanks again biggrin.gif
McMark
Here's the info for Headflow Masters.

(888) 340-8979
2466 South Santa Fe #f
Vista CA 92084
Lavanaut
I've been following this thread since I first joined. As I've come to learn more about the costs involved in doing different engine upgrades, this offer is looking more and more attractive. Mark, I'm assuming you've got satisfied customers on the road by now...what's the feedback been like?

Anyone out there with one of these engines care to break it down for the rest of us? chowtime.gif
McMark
Actually, because of a FIASCO with the machine shop I was trying to use for the heads, these engines have been significantly delayed. pinch.gif sad.gif

The people who stepped up already have been very patient. And I have tried to do what I can to compensate the people.

Bottom line, the first set of heads FINALLY came back to me last week and I'm doing valve train geometry on it right now. I will be hand delivering it to the customer later this month.

Heads are coming back to me every two weeks, so I will have all the backlogged engines out around the end of the year.

I have definitely had growing pains with this venture, but now they're figured out and come the first of the year, I'll have everything smooth enough to deliver an engine within 3 months of the order. And eventually I'll have kits on hand so that orders can be filled much faster. I'm looking forward to leaving these growing pains behind and moving forward.
Lavanaut
This type of stuff is to be expected when just getting going on a venture of this magnitude. Stick with it, and I'll continue to follow your progress. Thanks for the reply.
914werke
Heads do look good. smile.gif
Does Adrian Timecert the plug holes down to 12mm, or
are they welded and tapped?
McMark
Welded and tapped. biggrin.gif Done the right way. thumb3d.gif
biosurfer1
biggrin.gif

McMark, I was looking at the picture of the rebuilt heads and thought that was an arrow towards the top of the first picture...after staring at it for a while trying to figure out what you were pointing out and thinking "fuch it, i don't get it", I finally looked at the other pictures and the next thought was "you dumbass, its a piece of wire"

it's too early to think blink.gif blink.gif

i'll be in contact about a motor soon, but don't want to waste your time until I have the funds and an idea of what I want, nice part is you're close enough to pick up...any chance you have a 2056 installed for a test ride?
Grimstead
Drum roll please! Not only is my 5k engine in my car as I type but Mark even brought it down him self and helped with the install (as well as a front sway bar).

I must say, once we got it ready, the motor fired right up and was (loud) music to my ears. I can’t wait to finish the little stuff and get this car on the road once and for all!

If asked, would I do it again? Oh yes!
When it was all said and done, Mark proved to me that he is committed to making this a successful part of his business.

Thank you Mark for making this happen! (PS, Jack misses you)
thumb3d.gif

Lavanaut
Have you been able to drive her yet?!? boldblue.gif popcorn[1].gif
rjames
popcorn[1].gif
Grimstead
I think I’ve gotten about 30miles on her so far. I haven’t had much time with the holidays and all to do much work on the car. When Mark brought the engine, it was at 97% ready, I just need to play with the timing a little and fix a carb issue (both of which have nothing to do with Marks work).

I am still very happy with my decision to have this done, the engine fires up every time (doesn’t drip a drop of oil) and the few times I’ve driven her so far have been really fun. If the weather doesn’t turn to crap I’ll be driving it to Greg’s BBQ this Sunday so I should have a better review of the engine when I return.

One of my major concerns going into this was what happens if I was shipped a hand grenade and this thing blows up after my first drive around the block or if it dies two months down the road (when I signed up for this I did not know Mark at all, except from the posts I had read on the board). While I obviously haven’t had any problems with the engine so far, after getting to know Mark (and I would argue, becoming friends) I am very confident he will not leave me or any 5k customer hanging if a problem does arise.

Mark has definitely had some growing pains getting this project (head work has been his big issue) as a whole, off the ground. From what I haven seen, he is working through those issues and has brought what he can in-house and found a reliable machine shop for the rest. Personally I think this is a great option for those of us that don’t have the knowledge or time (Brian, are you reading this?) to build an engine ourselves. Could I have bought the kit straight from Jake and built it myself? Sure, with the help of my SoCal friends but I would have asked a lot of favors (more than I do now) and with my time spent I don’t think I would have saved much.

What was the question again?
TINCAN914
LOL!!
I'm here.. This is one avenue I am considering.. I am really interested in hearing from you after your drive tomorrow...
Qball
QUOTE(TINCAN914 @ Jan 6 2007, 09:25 AM) *

LOL!!
I'm here.. This is one avenue I am considering.. I am really interested in hearing from you after your drive tomorrow...

popcorn[1].gif
Grimstead
Sorry I haven’t updated lately. I kept planning to start a new thread in the garage but never got around to it.

I took it on her longest drive a couple of weeks ago to hang out with Slits for the day. It was only a 20min drive but I got to take the freeway. First off, I still have some stuff to tweak but Marks motor is doing great. My oil temp never made it half way on the combo gauge and my new CHT gauge was reading about 250 on the streets and maybe hit 290 on the freeway. The motor really did well on the drive and always loves to start when I want her to. I am still very conservative while driving her but when Aaron took it out for a spirited spin a while back he seamed to think it had more torque than his built 2.0. Other than a sticking throttle cable, I think he enjoyed the drive.

I still, full heartedly, think this was a great choice to make and I can’t wait to finish up the little stuff to start driving her on a daily basis
Chris Pincetich
Sweet. Go get yourself the Terry cable throttle cable; yank all the old stuff out and stuff the new one in...I was nervous at first but I've done it twice now (once on a friends 914) and no hitches either time.

The reason I say this is becase I now have AWESOME throttle RESPONSE and the problem was never my engine, it was always the sticky cable and loose cable stop. beerchug.gif
michaelt55
excuse me..but whats a Terry cable? IS this a morse style?

Michael
Aaron Cox
terry cable is a premium brand of cables...
BiG bOgGs
You caught me early. I just found this post today. I have been considering my options for dealing with my 76 2.0 and you have settled the debate in my head. I will be saving my pennies, and when I have them all I will be getting a new motor from you with the Mega Squirt. I can't say exactly when it will happen, but you will be the second to know when I have the cash (the wife will have to know first).

Jim

Yippeeeeeeee, I finally have a plan!! boldblue.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
congrats Jake on a truly affordable high horsepower engine!
Qball
Any updates on a running motor? popcorn[1].gif
Grimstead
The engine is running great, even better after we found out the range hadn't been set on the Mallory (thanks again for the help Mark). I am still fighting a exhaust leak so I haven't had much road time but that isn't a engine issue. I also put in one of those eBay mini starters and I'm really liking that as well.
driving.gif
Qball
QUOTE(Grimstead @ May 22 2007, 09:09 AM) *

The engine is running great, even better after we found out the range hadn't been set on the Mallory (thanks again for the help Mark). I am still fighting a exhaust leak so I haven't had much road time but that isn't a engine issue. I also put in one of those eBay mini starters and I'm really liking that as well.
driving.gif

Good to hear, mine should be rolling in shortly unsure.gif
Grimstead
How long does Mark think it's going to take to get to you?

If it makes you feel any better when I first signed up for the engine I didn't know Mark at all except from reading his posts. But I have to say that after the whole process was done (and it took a while as well), not only did Mark go the extra mile to get me up & running but he also became a friend beerchug.gif . I only mention this cause in the beginning there was that little fear that I was going to get ripped off and obviously that didn't happen. happy11.gif

I'm sure when it is all said & done, you're going to be very happy with this combo. BTW, what exhaust setup are you going with & did you go with the Mallory?
thumb3d.gif
Qball
QUOTE(Grimstead @ May 23 2007, 06:40 PM) *

How long does Mark think it's going to take to get to you?

If it makes you feel any better when I first signed up for the engine I didn't know Mark at all except from reading his posts. But I have to say that after the whole process was done (and it took a while as well), not only did Mark go the extra mile to get me up & running but he also became a friend beerchug.gif . I only mention this cause in the beginning there was that little fear that I was going to get ripped off and obviously that didn't happen. happy11.gif

I'm sure when it is all said & done, you're going to be very happy with this combo. BTW, what exhaust setup are you going with & did you go with the Mallory?
thumb3d.gif

Waiting on the heads which I know have been a thorn in Mark's side. I had a good feeling about Mark and this project from day one and that's why I went with it, no regrets. beerchug.gif Going with the Mallory and carbs. As far as exhaust I have a pair of 2.0 ssi's in the garage waiting to go. Thanks for the feedback, its good to hear.
Lavanaut
McMark, if I were to buy a teener specifically for this engine upgrade, what would be the optimal candidate? Would your answer differ if budget wasn't a concern? (e.g. 73 2.0 w/ no budget defined, 72 1.7 with a budget, as a random example)

Thanks
McMark
My biggest concern is usually SMOG/Emission controls. Secondly would be an early car for the bumpers (backdating costs $). Other than that I don't have much preference. 73/74 cars are going to have the most resale value because of all of the 'buyers guides' out there. People are wanting those cars somewhat blindly. When buying a car, I always look for the best chassis, looking specifically at rust damage and accident damage. I always say, build the best chassis you can (solid & straight) because everything else bolts onto that. You can easily build a nice chassis and bolt used suspension/brakes on, then replace/refresh those parts as $/time allows. If you have a nice chassis (not even finish painted, just straight and solid) and a new motor, you can EASILY have a rolling restoration.

Preference by years would be:

#1: 73/74 - The 'prime' years.
#1b: 70-72 - nothing wrong with these, but resale value may be slightly lower
#2: 75 - backdating costs, extra weight in the body
#3: 76 - backdating costs, extra weight in the body, CA smog rules

But any straight and solid car that's priced well would be a good car to build up.
Grimstead
Big Bumper Bigot!
ar15.gif
McMark
biggrin.gif I knew somebody would take offense. I'm just playing to the popularity. laugh.gif
Lavanaut
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 11 2007, 03:22 PM) *

My biggest concern is usually SMOG/Emission controls. Secondly would be an early car for the bumpers (backdating costs $). Other than that I don't have much preference.

Good feedback, but I was thinking more from a technical standpoint. For example, a set of 1.7 rockers has to be sourced, correct? And I believe I read that 2.0l heads make more power than 1.7/1.8?

It's more from that standpoint that I was asking. Should've included those examples in my original question, my bad. headbang.gif

Lava
McMark
Ahhh, I get it now. wink.gif You absolutely need a set of 8mm rockers (commonly on 1.7s, but found on others). 914 2.0 heads make the most power, but we could build off of 1.8 or bus 2.0 heads. 1.7 heads take some minor work to adapt. Finding a 2.0 engine would be the best solution because you get most of the necessary core items in one place for one price. But if you got a 1.7/1.8, sourcing the 2.0 parts necessary is not difficult.

Maybe that helps a little more. av-943.gif
914werke
icon_bump.gif
silver arrow
I see this thread started several years ago. How much hp could you get out of a complete 1.7 motor retaining FI and how much are we talking?
McMark
Do you mean how much HP keeping it a 1.7? Or turning the 1.7 into a 1911?
scottb
i will post a "seat of the pants" update as soon as i get the car back from our friends at CFR.

mark was always great with communication and letting me know what was slowing things down (yep, heads). i had some issues with selling a house which added to the time but that was all my fault. mark was great to accomodate.

anyway, i hope to have an update in about a week.

cheers....

scottb
scottb
check out my thread in the garage.....

this engine is great!!!!!

BUY ONE!!!!

you know you want it.... your wife will forgive you in time... mine did.
bembry
Whoo Hoo! I'm going for it!

My car has been sitting around dead for way too long.

piratenanner.gif aktion035.gif
alex914
Mark finished putting in a variation of one of these 2056 engines in my 73. It was a special kit Jake Raby put together that had different heads. The car hasn't been dyno'd yet so I can't give any concrete numbers. The goal was 140+hp. The engine has transformed my once tame car into something pretty fierce.
The engine develops lots of torque and it's easy to break the back end loose around corners now.
I splurged and bought a Tangerine header so the 914 sounds a bit like a race car at full throttle.

Mark is a true enthusiast and a thoughtful engine builder. I can't recommend this motor enough!
scottb
a bump and an update. had a lean situation on the 3rd cylinder carb throat that caused a backfire. chased a bunch of dead ends before figuring that out. got that done in the late fall and have had the car out a number of times this spring. total of about 2k miles on the engine and it runs like a champ. the temp on the stock guage never gets past 1/4 even in hot stop and go traffic. i have early tangerine style headers and a non-stock muffler so should be around 140 hp per the literature.

this thing is a blast. i am fortunate to also have an evil built transaxle along with a j-west fully modded shift linkage so my drive train is very solid and sound. i have nothing but praise for the motor, trans and linkage. along with the work from the good folks at CFR in manchester CT.

buy one of these engines. you will not regret it.

if you are in the northeast and considering one of these engines, send me a message an i would be happy to let you take the car out for a spin.

cheers,

scott

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.