Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The $5k Engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
ConeDodger
QUOTE(alex914 @ Oct 29 2008, 05:06 PM) *

Mark is a true enthusiast and a thoughtful engine builder. I can't recommend this motor enough!

And he has a big brain! biggrin.gif
Cevan
QUOTE(scottb @ May 11 2009, 04:07 PM) *

a bump and an update. had a lean situation on the 3rd cylinder carb throat that caused a backfire. chased a bunch of dead ends before figuring that out. got that done in the late fall and have had the car out a number of times this spring. total of about 2k miles on the engine and it runs like a champ. the temp on the stock guage never gets past 1/4 even in hot stop and go traffic. i have early tangerine style headers and a non-stock muffler so should be around 140 hp per the literature.

this thing is a blast. i am fortunate to also have an evil built transaxle along with a j-west fully modded shift linkage so my drive train is very solid and sound. i have nothing but praise for the motor, trans and linkage. along with the work from the good folks at CFR in manchester CT.

buy one of these engines. you will not regret it.

if you are in the northeast and considering one of these engines, send me a message an i would be happy to let you take the car out for a spin.

cheers,

scott

Hey Scott, I put a 2.0 in my car this past winter to replace the 1.8 and I'm happy with the modest increase in power. When the 2.0 eventually needs a rebuild, I'll probably build a Raby kit. I'd love to go for a spin in the mean time.

Chris
JazonJJordan
QUOTE(Cevan @ May 21 2009, 05:10 PM) *

QUOTE(scottb @ May 11 2009, 04:07 PM) *

a bump and an update. had a lean situation on the 3rd cylinder carb throat that caused a backfire. chased a bunch of dead ends before figuring that out. got that done in the late fall and have had the car out a number of times this spring. total of about 2k miles on the engine and it runs like a champ. the temp on the stock guage never gets past 1/4 even in hot stop and go traffic. i have early tangerine style headers and a non-stock muffler so should be around 140 hp per the literature.

this thing is a blast. i am fortunate to also have an evil built transaxle along with a j-west fully modded shift linkage so my drive train is very solid and sound. i have nothing but praise for the motor, trans and linkage. along with the work from the good folks at CFR in manchester CT.

buy one of these engines. you will not regret it.

if you are in the northeast and considering one of these engines, send me a message an i would be happy to let you take the car out for a spin.

cheers,

scott

Hey Scott, I put a 2.0 in my car this past winter to replace the 1.8 and I'm happy with the modest increase in power. When the 2.0 eventually needs a rebuild, I'll probably build a Raby kit. I'd love to go for a spin in the mean time.

Chris

idea.gif
$41/month to $83/month to have a 50% more powerful-cooler engine.
Cost shared over life of the engine five or ten years. Getting to drive it (fast!) 8,000 to 10,000 miles a year as a daily (fun) driver.
Gad, it would save $83 a month on wear and tear on my regular car every other month anyway. Miles I don't put on my new car. 4,000 miles a year vs. 12,000.
It adds up with a newer car at resale time. And maintance time. And repair time.

Heck, its' your duty to your wife and family to save them this cost and buy a 2056 engine.
Its' the right thing to do...$10 dollars a week has never been so fun...
?what excuses?
shades.gif
JazonJJordan
santa_smiley.gif I will be in line shorty. Skipping $10 lunch at work and $50 a week closer. + extra (work) shifts. Now saved $3100...Thanks for the great work! jzn driving.gif
scottb
went for a tear today and am still very happy with the motor. pulls like a fiend well past 6k. with dual webers and a header, sounds awesome with a very even acceleration. i remain a very happy customer.

cheers....

scott

914rat
So the 125 hp motor with a Tangerene Header produces 140+ hp?
McMark
Somewhere in that range, with the high end HP cam and the tangerine headers. But that cam does have a bit of a 'lumpy' idle, so a lot of the 2056s get a cam that gives up a little top end HP in favor of better low speed drivability.

And it necessary to note that the HP estimations are just that, estimates. I'm not selling a HP number, and no HP number is guaranteed. wink.gif
914rat
I understand that a longblock engine only has horespower potential up to a certain point.The true power has to be tuned in by the final installer.I just wanted to clarify in my own understanding of how these engines get power and the potential of their state of tune under the best circumstances, build quality with professional labor using quality parts that work as a combo,proven ignition,proven induction,and proven exhaust.Then final tune on a dyno to optimize the system to verify results.

So the potential of the $5000 engine is 0-143.75 based on the Tangerine adding 15% more power.Under the scrutiny of ignition,induction, exhaust, and final tuning.

I never really got the full potential of a 2056 until now.
That is friggin awesome.

I might be able to get 100 HP with my tuning abilities. biggrin.gif
McMark
Additionally, every set of heads is slightly different and compression ratio varies from engine to engine, as well as the slight differences between intake/exhaust port flow. So two engines with the same setup on paper can perform differently when they're actually built.
Gint
Hey Mark! If this build is what we talked about today, then I don't have any other expectations. Can't wait. I've got a set of ACE built 40 IDFs, and a Mallory lookin for a new home. I'll pm some questions about core, etc... icon_bump.gif and cheer.gif
benine
Mark, I was wondering what the fuel requirements would be for the 2056 specifically and others you commonly build. Does the high ethanol content of fuel today have any effects on these cars carbed or FI.
ovation919
Are these engines still available. Very interesting.
mepstein
QUOTE(ovation919 @ Jul 25 2015, 11:53 AM) *

Are these engines still available. Very interesting.

10 year old thread
McMark
Yes they are.
JmuRiz
If I were smart, I'd have gone that route and be driving my car by now biggrin.gif

Still in the $5k range?...if so, if would be a miracle.
McMark
They were at $5500, but I need to look at all the costs again and reassess the whole situation. I don't foresee a huge change though.
ovation919
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 25 2015, 05:56 PM) *

They were at $5500, but I need to look at all the costs again and reassess the whole situation. I don't foresee a huge change though.

I am definitely interested then. Should I PM you to follow up?
thanks
Mblizzard
Mark did a custom version of a 2056 for me and I would highly recommend his work. Despite my best efforts to kill the engine by dropping bolts in the intake it has been flawless. Every dollar you pay McMark now will save you many dollars in the future!

Yes I really did lose a bolt in the engine! Yep those are the threads pressed into the head!

Click to view attachment
2mAn
any update on this? dont tell me its a 10 year old thread!
McMark
Getting ready to start building 4 engines in the next couple weeks. Want in?
ConeDodger
Highly recommended! I've built two of my engines along side Mark and with is assistance. The 2056 and 2170 are two very reliable engines. Especially the 2056. Satisfying power and reliability and driveability. Go with Mark!
billh1963
QUOTE(McMark @ May 17 2016, 07:37 PM) *

I sent a PM back in March...please let me know.

Thanks
JmuRiz
Really should have bought one long ago, if I had a 2nd car not undergoing a /6 conversion I'd buy one for sure!! Best $/hp value out there.
2mAn
Around how much power do these make?
db9146
If I have a good stock '74 2.0L now, will I be able to get back the same engine to maintain numbers matching?
McMark
QUOTE(2mAn @ May 18 2016, 10:57 AM) *

Around how much power do these make?

Depends on a few options, but somewhere in the 100-125hp range. But it's not so much about the numbers. Especially because the torque is what makes these motors great. WAY less shifting when driving around town, no more downshifting for every corner.
McMark
QUOTE(db9146 @ May 18 2016, 12:02 PM) *

If I have a good stock '74 2.0L now, will I be able to get back the same engine to maintain numbers matching?

Absolutely. I keep track of all components to make sure they stay with the motor they came with.
capitolatim
QUOTE(McMark @ May 17 2016, 04:37 PM) *

Hi,

I have a 2.4/4 that ran strong but leaked oil. We have the engine a part. One barrel is bad, needs a new cam and cam gears, heads are great and opened up. Case is good and done right.

Exchange possible?

Weird one, eh?

Cheers
Tim
Gplracer
I know this post is really old. MCMark are you still doing this? I am about to get a 1973 1.7L that is the exact car I grew up with. We sold it with a tired engine with about 80,000 miles on it in 1986. It was put on a concrete slab with a roof over it and a cover. Nothing was ever done to the car so now I am buying it back.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.