Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spoke's Green 914 Progress Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
IronHillRestorations
There are supposed to be two straps that bolt to the aluminum crossmember and rear mounting bosses. I couldn't see them in any of the pics. Rarely do you get them with the aluminum crossmember. I've cut the ones off the steel rack, and I've fab'd them too, but you gotta have them.
914werke
QUOTE(9146986 @ Dec 2 2006, 04:43 PM) *

There are supposed to be two straps that bolt to the aluminum crossmember and rear mounting bosses. I couldn't see them in any of the pics. Rarely do you get them with the aluminum crossmember. I've cut the ones off the steel rack, and I've fab'd them too, but you gotta have them.

Perry Do you have pics of that setup?
I did the same thing but they dont EXACTLY fit.
Just curious what you did.
cooltimes
QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 2 2006, 04:33 PM) *

Front is done.

Road test was good. No looseness in the ball joints, tie rod ends, or bearings.

Brakes ok, rotors true.

Big time handling improvement with the 911 torsion bars, shocks, and swaybar.

Had to say this Spoke. I really like what you have done to your 914's.
Owners like you are really what makes the 914club click.
Great info you shared as well as the electical help you walked another thru tonight.

Thanks for sharing your 914 information and know how with us.

beerchug.gif

MikeCool
Spoke
Paul,
Suspension I was told was 88-89. It has 3.5in bolt spacing metallic body calipers. Are these "A" type calipers?

I don't think the donor 911 led a very long life. On all the suspension parts there was a yellowish undercoating that looked like it was done at the factory or dealer when new. It was sprayed on everything. Even the pad wear sensor wires on the pads had the undercoating meaning that these were the original pads. And the pads have maybe 10% wear. Zero rust (besides storage rust) on all parts and nice finishs which is why I didn't repaint anything.

Perry,
I did install the straps which also hold the swaybar after the pics were taken. A mistake in assembly I didn't instal the swaybar with the A-Arms and crossmember. I thought the swaybar can go on with the A-Arms in place. After about an hour of pissing with the bar with A-Arms in place, I finally unbolted the crossmember and detatched one A-Arm to install the swaybar. Took only minutes to do. What a dumb ass.

Mike,
Thanks for the kudos. Not having found this site until after 8 months of 914 ownership, I'm hooked on the 914club. Parts, help, entertainment, even found my green 914 on the club. Just glad that I can help someone out a little.

Spoke

IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Dec 2 2006, 09:10 PM) *

Perry Do you have pics of that setup?
I did the same thing but they dont EXACTLY fit.
Just curious what you did.

No, sorry I don't have any pics, maybe Spoke can post one. I don't have the car anymore. I did bolt up the crossmember and cut the "straps" off the old one and fit them in place though.

PK
Spoke
Here's a pic of the strap that supports the sway bar.

Spoke
The rear suspension is ready to go.

Calipers painted. Wasn't going to paint but original paint was worn off and some rust appearing.

Rear bearings repacked; trailing arms painted

Using driveshafts from the green car. They had less play in the CV's than the ebay ones. Cleaned out old grease from CV's; repacked, reassembled, and painted shaft.

Shocks and springs originally on the green car.

Spoke
Driver side wheel well cleaned out. Used purple stuff to remove dirt, grease, and for the most part, the dried, hardened undercoating. Cleaned heat exchangers.

Spoke
Passenger side cleaned out.
Spoke
And presto! Driver side suspension installed.
Spoke
Nuther on the driver side.
Spoke
Passenger side suspension installed.
Spoke
Nuther passenger side.
Spoke
Finally sitting on 5-lug wheels.
Spoke
I think I want to lower the car. Have stock springs on the rear. Think I want to go with 180LB springs. Anybody have a set they want to part with?
Spoke
Close up of the driver rear. The fenders where quite a task to form but the most work went into un-pancaking the rear quarterpanel. Still have more work to do around the taillight.
Spoke
Left front shot.
Spoke
Right front.
Spoke
Fat ass ends are nice!
Spoke
Right rear.
Spoke
Left rear.
Spoke
OK, a little OT.

My buddy's Saturn Sky.
Spoke
OK, more OT.

Last Sat. night we had some friends over for cocktails. About 10pm, my buddy gets a call from his daughter at home across the street. "Dad, someone is spotting deer behind our house".

My buddy jumps in his vehicle to investigate but no car seen on the lower road.

Then about 10:45pm, my buddy gets another call from his daughter. "Dad, they're spotting deer again and I heard a gunshot."

My buddy jumps in his car again with a neighbor while I ran down to his house. I could see an older SUV sitting on the road with his lights on. My bud pulls up behind the vehicle and runs up to it and yells at the guys.

They pull out like a bat out of hell and drive off, my buddy in tow. After about a 5 mile chase, my buddy breaks off as 911 is called and the licence number reported.

My bud goes back to the field behind his house and finds a nice 8-point buck laying in the field. Police said he could cut up the deer; they want the head for evidence. There goes a nice little trophy.

Latest info on the shooter: police found the driver and gun. He hasn't given names of the other 2 people. Police confiscated his gun and vehicle. This guy is in a hurt of trouble. Let's see:

Shooting deer from a vehicle: Illegal
Shooting deer at night: Illegal
Shooting deer with a spotlight: Illegal
Shooting deer within 100 yards of houses: Illegal
Shooting deer out of season: Illegal
Eric_Shea
That sucks sad.gif

Car is looking awesome... gonna take me a few minutes to get over the deer thing though. Happy as hell they caught him.
Spoke
OT: Update on the Deer Shooter.

As happy as we were to catch the guy (actually just got his license number), we didn't catch him with the goods. The deer that is.

My buddy did pick the guy out of a line up of pictures so we placed the guy at the scene.

However, no deer in hand; no eye witnesses that he actually shot the deer; no one heard the guys saying something like "Lets go get the deer"; the guy denies shooting the deer.

My bud did get the slug out of the deer and gave it to the police. Ballistic tests I'm sure cost time and money. Question now is how much work do the police want to go through to nail this guy?

Until they prove that he shot the deer, they can't charge him with the counts listed above.

The police did confirm that his gun was fired very recently, so they did charge him with discharging a gun at night and discharging a gun from a vehicle.

So far, he doesn't have any deer related charges. This episode was sorta like catching a couple of guys in front of a bank with guns and masks on before they rob it. They didn't rob the bank yet so can't be charged with that.

If we would have slowed down a bit and realized that the guy was still sitting in his car and just drove by to get the license number, perhaps they would have gone and retrieved the deer. But then, hindsite is 20/20 and we were happy just to get the guy at the scene.

Spoke
Spoke
OK, back to the green car. I've driven it for a couple of weeks. There is still more work to do on the rear of the car. The passenger side rear wheel bearing needs replaced. Also, the passenger rear hub has at least one stud that is not straight. This causes the wheel to wobble very slightly and the rear rotor to go out of round when the lugs are tightened.

So I'll get some new rear wheel bearings and some nice Eric Shea 5-lug hubs. The bearing and wheel wobble are not extreme so the car can be driven for a while until I get the bearings and hubs.

Time has come to investigate a fuel odor coming from under the gas tank. This has plagued the car since I bought it. I found that the lower the fuel level in the tank, the less it smells. Never observed an actual gas leak or moist areas.

The green car is now back in the corner spot in the garage for this gas leak work. I'll be driving the red car again as my DD when it doesn't rain or snow.

Spoke
To empty the tank, I jacked up the driver side and siphoned as much gas out as I could. Then I jacked up the passenger side to get the leftoever gas away from the gas lines. Tank came out with no spilled gas.

Tank looks ok on the outside, no signs of leaking. I haven't looked inside the tank yet although I can hear something inside as I tilt the tank from one side to the other.

Spoke
The gas fumes seem to be coming from the driver side of the gas tank. With the tank out, I could see that the fuel pump has been relocated along with the fuel filter. I'll change the filter while I'm here.

Spoke
Pic of the fuel pump from the drivers side. Still not obvious what is leaking.
Spoke
With the fuel pump removed, I can see a moist area in the corner of the wall. Now to figure out what is leaking.

Anyone have experience with these kinds of leaks? Hopefully it is not the fuel pump. Hoses and filter will be easy to change. I don't want to change the fuel pump unless necessary.
rjames
My guess is that if you replace the hoses you'll be rid of the smell. I have the same exact thing happening, and the fuel pump and filter are new. The only things not new are the fuel lines up front- I'll be doing that when I go to remove the tank to install a sway bar this spring.

martinef1963
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 13 2006, 11:17 PM) *

Before and After I added a little wheel bling. Wheels from my red car.

Spoke

Damn - I was going to ask if you were getting rid of the 4-lugger.... biggrin.gif
Spoke
OK, took the gas tank apart. Outside of the tank looks good.

Spoke
When I pulled the fuel gauge sender out, it came out in pieces, as the little nut on the bottom had unscrewed itself and dropped to the bottom of the tank.
Spoke
Inside of the tank looks very good. The only rust that I could see is in the bottom left of the pic. Don't think I'll be resealing the tank.

What can I used to clean out the gum out of the tank?

rjames
I'm sure others will chime in here, but do a search as I think there've been a few past threads regarding cleaning up the inside of a tank. beer.gif
Spoke
In the #26th post in this thread, Sir Andy pointed out that a dent in the front trunk was the sign of impact damage.

He, being Sir Andy, was 100% correct. As I took the car apart, I've seen other damage or repairs from at least 1 front end impact.

The driver side A-arm that I replaced as part of the 5-lug was bent such that the position of the ball joint on the arm was about 1/2 inch more rearward than the passenger side arm.

The front panel below was replaced in its entirety. I'm assuming the piece was welded on but its obvious now that the seam is rusting on both sides.

The other thing is the piece doesn't have the bolts to hold on fog lights. There's a flat spot on the front where the bolt should go. How can I determine where the bolts should go for fogs?
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 9 2007, 10:07 PM) *

In the #26th post in this thread, Sir Andy pointed out that a dent in the front trunk was the sign of impact damage.

He, being Sir Andy, was 100% correct. As I took the car apart, I've seen other damage or repairs from at least 1 front end impact.

The driver side A-arm that I replaced as part of the 5-lug was bent such that the position of the ball joint on the arm was about 1/2 inch more rearward than the passenger side arm.

The front panel below was replaced in its entirety. I'm assuming the piece was welded on but its obvious now that the seam is rusting on both sides.

The other thing is the piece doesn't have the bolts to hold on fog lights. There's a flat spot on the front where the bolt should go. How can I determine where the bolts should go for fogs?

Just a thought- put the bumper back on w/out the grills & mark where you think the fogs should be. Use the circle as your guide by just placing the grills in place. Then, take off the bumper, grab a fog light w/ bracket, hold in place & mark out where the hole should be. thumb3d.gif cool_shades.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 9 2007, 03:00 PM) *

Inside of the tank looks very good. The only rust that I could see is in the bottom left of the pic. Don't think I'll be resealing the tank.

What can I used to clean out the gum out of the tank?

Kerosene, diesel fuel, laquer thinner
Spoke
A little rear end bling. Eric Shea hubs, 180LB springs, and new bearings. The hubs are very nicely done. Quite a difference from the converted hubs on the car. The hubs on the car do not have the extra bosses around the studs thus some studs are longer than others. Plus not all are straight and they have been welded to the hub.

Eric, do you want the hubs that are on the car? As mentioned, the lugs are welded to the hubs. I believe the hubs are the later style.

Once the gas tank is cleaned and fuel hoses replaced, I'll finish up the 5-lug rear end including installing the rear factory swaybar.

Spoke
OK, I finally started to work on the 914 again after the winter freeze. Also changed the name of this thread since I've now had the car for 1 year.

Cleaned out the gas tank cavity. Removed the undercoating and cleaned out all the junk. Looks a little nicer now.

Putting in the electric washer pump now.

Bought a generic pump from my FLAPS and decided to mount it out of the way under the cowling.

Spoke
I wanted to mount the washer pump out of sight and didn't want to drill holes into the car to mount.

So I got a long tiewrap and fastened it to the cowling upright. As briefly as this pump is used, this fastening will be fine. I couldn't mount it where SirAndy did since the inlet and outlets were not in the same positions.

The wires for the pump nicely route into the interior directly behind the pump.
Spoke
Found this bolt lodged in the seam sealer and painted. Unless the PO dropped this bolt and then painted the area, this bolt came from the original manufacture.

Eric_Shea
Eric, do you want the hubs that are on the car? As mentioned, the lugs are welded to the hubs. I believe the hubs are the later style.

I do need cores but... probably not those, since you sent those arms I think we be good.

There was a certain 914-6 (2233) that has a 10mm nut in the seam sealer in the rear trunk biggrin.gif

That car is Saturn (Chrome) Yellow no?
Aaron Cox
nice work! you turned those wheels into real beauties....!!

love the flares!
Part Pricer
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 7 2007, 12:04 PM) *

That car is Saturn (Chrome) Yellow no?

No. It is Ravenna Green.

Eric_Shea
No. It is Ravenna Green.

Gottcha wink.gif

I went back through the thread and saw that... it's so weird though... some of those pictures are spot on for Saturn and others look green. Post 87 looks like Saturn. The first pic in post 91 too... wacko.gif
Spoke
Intalled the washer tank. The pump can be seen at the bottom of the cowl brace. Drilled out the cap as per Sir Andy's thread. Also connected all wires to the washer arm on the steering column. I decided to put the switch on the ground side of the pump.

Spoke
Cleaned out the tank and sending unit with degreaser from my FLAPS. The stuff did a job on the built up gum and residue in the tank and the sending unit. I mixed the degreaser with hot water in a about 1:4 (degreaser:water) ratio. Compare these pics with the ones a few posts ago for before and after cleaning.
Spoke
Pulled the front trunk gasket so to fix the rust on the passenger fender. Rust also on the driver side but hasn't worked its way up to the exposed fender.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.