Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what was your first car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
1bad914
1971 Mach I Mustang, 351C built motor, about 6 mpg, traded it even for a 72 Beetle, could not afford the gas back and forth to college. If you can believe it they were even in value at the time. Bright yellow, the back window was 4 feet long, but was like looking out a 4 inch window when lookng thru the rear view. Fun to drive!
John
Everyone was so old when you guys got your first car.

My first car was a Kettcar. I must have been all of 4 or 5 when I got it.

It was a pedal car....
tyler
Me Too: 1949 Ford convertable - Dual exhausr - Douglas steel pacs - milled heads - triple strombergs w/progressive linkage - reverberator rear speaker - spinners - nosed & decked - all primer - fender skirts - rear seat open to trunk for $1 per carload drive in movies.
Price in 1958, $150 (earned for picking New England apples at 25 cents a bushel).

QUOTE(pfierb @ Apr 28 2006, 03:48 AM) *

1949 Ford V-8 coupe with smitty mufflers and red tartan plaid seat covers.....Loved that car and what a sweet sound it made accelerating....so you think 914s rust out!!!!

i love porsche
1964 plymouth barracuda
273 V8 with the pushbutton auto,
got it at 13, for mowing a friends lawn for a year, sold it on ebay for 1200 a year later, so i never really drove it other than parking lots, then i got a 93 integra from my uncle with a stick, that i drove...
/L.
My 1st car was a 1961 VW bug and that was in 1966. But my step brother got a 1962 yellow 356, he was in jr college. Of course I was jealous mad.gif I know what a brat happy11.gif
Aaron Cox
ok first car. the 914
second car... another 914
third car - flared roller from jenny's brother.
fourth car. 90 vW passat (der Crappenwaggen!) POS
now i have a 2001 nissan frontier quadcab.

oh! and i had a 59 edsel wagon with a 400 cube v8 that i sold to get the 914 painted
JmuRiz
First car or first car I bought?
First car - Geo Prizm GSi
First car bought - Audi A4 (second car was the 914!)
lapuwali
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Apr 28 2006, 11:43 AM) *

1964 plymouth barracuda
got it at 13, for mowing a friends lawn for a year, sold it on ebay for 1200 a year later, so i never really drove it other than parking lots, then i got a 93 integra from my uncle with a stick, that i drove...

Ebay existed when you were 14!!?!

(slinking off, feeling very old...)
sjhowitson
1976 Plymouth Satellite Wagon. Back in the good old days when cars were metal and you could put 10 of you friends in it and you could still get a keg in the back. Big 383 Sky blue with fake wood on the side. beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
Goge
Yellow 72 bug. Sheet of plastic in the passenger footwell to hide the hole, sealed with that black asphalt gunk, whats-it-called... Roof Patch??

Followed by a '63 Ghia, then another bug, then a '72 squareback along with a '63 Notchback 1500S (or was it a '65, I forget). After that my current '72 914 and various boring waterpumpers.

I could kill myself for selling the Notchback... was I brain-dead at the time? It had a freakin' factory sunroof! What a dumbass I was/am.

-Todd
mharrison
Let's see....

The first driver was a 1974 Electric Blue Plymouth Volare station wagon. It was my Mom's before I got it.

The first car in my name was a 1974 Porsche 914!
Brian Mifsud
'69 Beetle "hand me down"
'70 1.7 914 First Car I bought....
shelby/914
1966 Ford Fairlane GTA. 335hp, 390 4bl dual exhaust, C6 auto rocking nana.gif
Gary#
1956 Chevy Bel Air - 283 & slip & slide -
Sold it for a 1967 Camaro RS - 327 - Muncie 4 on 'da floor.
Sold it for a 1969 Volkswagen van; what was I thinking??? Oh, now I remember...
(getting laid w00t.gif )
i love porsche
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Apr 28 2006, 10:57 AM) *

QUOTE(i love porsche @ Apr 28 2006, 11:43 AM) *

1964 plymouth barracuda

Ebay existed when you were 14!!?!

(slinking off, feeling very old...)

well im only 19 now..so it wasnt too long ago...not like i HAD the car in 64 hehe
anderssj
first car--72 914--still have it . . . .

second--'62 ford econoline former telephone company van, originally OD, "laced" with surplus CO highway department yellow paint. Drove it between CO and MN 4 times in summer of 73; I'd get pulled over and searched within 30 miles of crossing any of the state lines. Sold it to a guy in a band in MN that fall.

funny, my kids (both in college) think I'm making this up . . . .
JFJ914
1959 Alfa Romeo Guiletta back in '65!
Elliot_Cannon
1960 VW bug. Blue with slide back sun roof and still had the turn signal sticks that popped out when signaling. Chrome reverse rims and wide oval tires. If I hadn't wrecked it in 1968 I'd probably still own it.

cheers, Elliot
BigDBass
My first car was grampa's 2-door '78 Ford Granada. It was rustier than anything I've seen. You could look into a saucer-sized rust hole on the fender behind the front wheel, see right through the car and out the matching rust hole on the other side. It was actually pretty fast tho. And it was the only car in the family with a tape player. I would cue up the Doors' "The End" and try to get to school (~4 miles city) before the song was over.
Marv's3.6six
Mine a 1965 VW Squareback, white.
Gas was 23 cents a gallon
My 5'6" shortboard fit in the back with the rear seats up.
Many epic California surf trips were made in that car. biggrin.gif
SirAndy
my first car ...

don't remember the model, but it was red!
and a convertible!
and a chick-magnet! smilie_pokal.gif

that thing was *fast* burnout.gif

cool_shades.gif Andy
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 28 2006, 04:04 PM) *

my first car ...

don't remember the model, but it was red!
and a convertible!
and a chick-magnet! smilie_pokal.gif

that thing was *fast* burnout.gif

cool_shades.gif Andy

I had one of those except it was a coupe.
Elliot
ClayPerrine
1969 Pontiac Firebird named "Fred".

I got it in 1979. It had an engine block under the hood, a blown transmission, and it came with boxes of parts. It was avacaco green. I got it running after school in just 3 months.

By the time I sold it, the 350 had become a 400 Ram Air III motor, highly modified. It went through 14 automatics and 4 manual transmissions before I got one to hold up to the engine I built. Then I blew the driveshaft out of it 3 times. Lakewood U-Joints solved that. Blew the rear end out 4 times. Finally ended up with a Ford 9 inch rear end in it.

12 seconds flat in a 1/4 mile on street tires and a full interior.

Sold poor old Fred to a highschool guy a week after I met Betty.

I really miss that car..... sad.gif
rktmn247
1971 Dodge Challenger, 225 slant six with a three speed manual on the floor.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 28 2006, 04:11 PM) *

I had one of those except it was a coupe

that was my second car ...

w00t.gif Andy
Pat Garvey
barf.gif
"65 Dodge Dart. 273 CI, bored,balanced, peened, mod'd to 315 hp (dyno), Edelbrock, Crane...all that crap. Spent a fortune, had a lot of drags, won some pinks I never collected....traded for a '65 Beetle (lost my ass!) in '67. Stupid me, I put a super-high velocity stack on a single barrell carb, retarded the timeing & could pull the front end off the ground for drags (well, in Kansas it was exciting). Drove it until '72 & traded it on my 914 (still own) & it became a dune buggy...too bad, I'd like to have it back. Though I love auto-x, could(will) never get the drag racing thing out of my system. Lots of other "hot" cars through the years, but guess what's still around - the 914!
campbellcj
My first car was a booger green 72 Chevy Vega!!! laugh.gif

On the positive side, I learned my first car repair basics on that POS. You basically had to work on it every weekend just to make it to school/work thru the week!

Second car was a Toyota Tercel...night and day reliability wise but still a slow, lame handling POS too...
Trekkor
1961 Plymouth Valiant 2dr hdtp. 198 SIX

I often wish I still had it idea.gif

KT
Trekkor
Just scanned the pic.

Whose that skinny kid?

KT
dion9146
1952 Ford 2 door Kustom - top banana yellow with candy apple flames. Lowered, cruiser skirts, side pipes, straight six with a split manifold. Pretty cool for a 16 year old in 1983.

Then I went to college and learned about going fast around corners....it's never been the same since. smile.gif

jimtab
QUOTE(Headrage @ Apr 28 2006, 07:51 AM) *

1958 VW van. 6 windows with hawaiian curtains covering all of them. smoke.gif

Yeah, my '58 was a "hippie van" in '65 when I went to sjsu and I had a bumper sticker that said "Don't laugh asshole, your daughter is probably in the back"...dads didn't seem to like that ..... biggrin.gif
jimtab
QUOTE(trekkor @ Apr 28 2006, 08:07 PM) *

Just scanned the pic.

Whose that skinny kid?

KT

Reminds me of my buddies 61 desoto wagon...so ugly he named it Melvin.... I've never been much for naming my cars but that name really made real good sense.
J P Stein
58 Chebbie Impala, 2 door hardtop, black. 348, Turboflight (?).
50 k miles...a puff...in 19&64.
Wish I still had it to sell at Barret-Jackson biggrin.gif
Dead Air
'67 falcon wagon
$100
rickyhgarcia
1982 Renault LeCar...metallic dark blue
wbergtho
1977 VW Scirocco
*kennyd*914
Silver '65 Valiant, 6 months later ... '73 914 1.7L, 3 months later '83 Subaru.

2 months later .... moved home.... couldn't afford rent + 3 cars.

Oh to be 19 again!
Katmanken
First car I ever owned was a 1964 Seeblau blue VW Beetle.

Had white pinstripes, metallic blue rolled and pleated interior, wood steering wheel, black wrinkle finish dash, Empi woodgrain dash overlay, wood knob, custom door and window handles, and a rebuilt 1600 engine with headers.

Car got hit by teenagers. After a fight with a crooked claims adjuster, I bought a 1966 beetle with no engine, and a 1967 Karmann Ghia convertible with the proceeds. Bought the "wreck" back, swapped the engine and upholstery to the 1966 and sold it. Sold the 1964 shell to a couple of racing friends to become a race car ( for $1.00).

With the cash from the sales, the Karmann Ghia convertible was built into a 16-18 mpg fire breathing monster with help from my racing buddies. Raby would have been proud of that engine..

Ken
BKLA
'70 Austin america - Purchased for $800 in 1974. (not my pic, but very similar) Sold in '75 when I bought my first 914.
BMXerror
97 Mitsubishi Eclipse that I bought from my father.... Yes, I'm a young ladd... Still got it. It's my get me to work every morning car while I've got the Porsche for fun. I don't think the neighbors would like me starting the Porsche (with the blown out exhaust) up at 3 o'clock in the morning to go to work. biggrin.gif
Mark D.
erikstoll
91 Plymouth Acclaim - drove it into the ground till multiple belts snapped (300,000 miles on it when it kicked the can)
now have 03 Mitsubishi galant, huge pos
looking for 914 or 62 Falcon
elwood-914
1970 Opel GT.......lots of electrical fires.....drove that everywhere...... driving.gif
Mrs. K
1966 stock VW bug with an 8-track stereo...... driving-girl.gif
bought with my own money too smile.gif

Some friends of mine were VW mechanics, so they would fix my car for me (teach me in the process) and I would either clean their house or sew them cool shirts...nice bartering system I had going there thumb3d.gif

Lisa mrs.K.gif
pete-stevers
an old vw notch back...rusty and full of bondo.....
swl
62 356B Hardtop. It was so full of rust that my dad just shook his head and walked away. I'd give vital parts of my anatomy to have it back today - rust and all!
jd66921
1967 Austin Healey 3000 MK III. Rolled over wreck I "rebuilt" with '63(?) body
panels with carefully matched colors. Drove it for two years and then got sucked
into a 914!

Picture didn't post? Gotta figure that out...
914rrr
1966 VW bug. That 1300cc engine outlasted the bug body, a '66 camper bus, and '64 Samba (21 window bus w/ sunroof). It finally died in a '66 13 window bus. It was missing / down on power. I drove it for a week or so before I took it to my mechanic. Turns out that the #3 piston broke at the ring grove and just got stuck at TDC! I've owned about 40 aircooled VW's since then.
Seagrave
1959 AH Sprite. Bought it from the original owner (my father) in 1964 and had it until 1978. Great little car. Not much speed but high velocity, if you know what I mean. This photo was taken in 1969, a month after I got done with my service with Sam. The location is CA 101 near Bodega Bay.
reddog
One of the first 1965 Mustang GT's 289ci high performance 271 HP with a 4 speed... man... 16 years old an a brand new car.... rocking nana.gif
szuccaro
1968 California Special GT/CS
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.