Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what was your first car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
eg914
My first car was a '69 Nova, 4 door, 307, auto, "the Tank"
I traded up to my second car - '68 type III variant, slower but noisier.
carreraguy
'53 Chevy. Great memories of drive-in theaters (remember those?) and the big back seat!
So.Cal.914
1955 Oval window Bug smoke.gif
Grngoat
1970 Pontiac GTO - bought in 1989 for $1500. Still own it, wouldn't sell it for the world. I love that car. Love my 914 too. They're different, but somehow very similiar. Just fun to drive.
bondo
My first car was a 66 baja bug. I did alot of wrenching on it, but by the time I got my license I had upgraded to a 67 Mustang (coupe, I have since upgraded again to a fastback). Looks like Mueller and I have more in common than just too many projects. biggrin.gif

First car I drove: 1967 Maserati Quattroporte. Rebuilt the Webers on that beast too... The nice thing was if you forgot where a part went, you had 3 other carbs to refer to! smile.gif
skline
Mine was a 1963 Dodge one ton pickup with 8 lug wheels. The only custom wheel was the old Jackman rims in white. It had a 318 wit the 3 on the tree and with the camper shell, I could take half the school with me. Those were the days.
craig downs
I really wanted a 914 but I was into motocross back in the mid 70s, so my 1st was
a 73 Ford Courier small truck. I beat the hell out it and it just kept going. Then in
10/77 I got my pride and joy a 75 914. I had it for a month and I let my girlfriend
use it while I was at work and she decieded to get drunk and go for a joy ride and rear ended someone. Insurance wouldn't cover it because I wasn't driving. Fixed
it myself and still have it today.
guiltless
1971 Mercedes 250 4-door. I had to start it with a screw driver. I could only have it after I did a valve job first. Did everything in the garage except the machine work. That car had 315,000 miles on it before it got rear ended.

Side note, first engine rebuild... 1968 bug when I was 13. I have been hooked ever since.
Andyrew
First, second, and third (as far as the dmv is concerned)

are 914's..

the second one is in a box in my shed.. the third one was sold with 5 other 914s by Jim Cooper to some guy...

Still got my 914.. yesindeedy...

IPB Image

http://members.rennlist.com/dan10101/914/914picts.htm
Old pics....

Come quite a ways in 3 years...

IPB Image
sj914
First car was a '72 914. RIP sad.gif
pfierb
1949 Ford V-8 coupe with smitty mufflers and red tartan plaid seat covers.....Loved that car and what a sweet sound it made accelerating....so you think 914s rust out!!!!
redshift
1975 Malaga red teener.

M
jim912928
A Datsun Roadster...this is a pic from 74 after I fixed it up....paid 500 bucks for it and my dad thought I was crazy!

VaccaRabite
Hope this is not a double post...

98 VW Golf. I got that car new right out of college when I got my first "real" job.

This is the only pic I have of it at work. Its from a camping trip to Ft Fred state park in sept 03. Special because it was the first camping trip that Erin and I took together when we started dating. It was a good weekend. wub.gif

Zach
72914S
1961 Simca
HarveyH
First car I drove regularly was my parents 61 Studebaker Hawk. First car of my own was a 69 Triumph GT6 driving.gif
Harvey
elocke
'63 ragtop bug off my friends sister for $75. Floors were so rusted both seats sagged till they hit the door posts. Wouldn't pass inspection so I got a '69 bug for $350.
Paid $400 for my '70 914 3 years ago.
Ed
ejm
'57 oval window Beetle for $175
Bertus
74 Audi Fox, then a couple years later 75 914, 1.8L.
blitZ
67 Pontiac Catalina, total barge mobile. Had a lot of fun with it, load it up with friends and take off to the beach for the day. Never left me stranded.
fitsbain
1980 Chevette
ptravnic
A 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme...At least it had a spacious back seat... happy11.gif
robby750
1970 Javelin SST. I can't believe I have no pictures of my first car, but it looked just like this minus the stripes. I bought it in 1974 when I was 19 years old. Sure wish I had kept it when I see what they are selling for now. sad.gif
drewvw

Javelins are great, always liked those cars. Its interesting to see the percentage of 914 owners that started out with a VW.
rmital
Ford Maverick with a '302'...very fast.

....but quickly gave that to my Dad and got a '72 914. It was only about 7 years old then and the battery tray was already gone. What a great design....
watsonrx13
First car I learned to drive was my Dad's '67 Morgan Plus 4 Plus (only 50 ever built). First car I owned was a '69 Karmann Ghia convertible...

-- Rob
dagdal1967
1976 Dodge dart Swinger....

Click to view attachment
Tobra
1979 Convertible Super Beetle. Being in California, no engine mods or it would not pass smog. Put disc brakes on it, sporty springs, poly bushings when I did the ball joints and tie rods. Man did that car handle. When I went to sell it to buy this 914, Mom bought because she liked it so much
rhodyguy
fresh out of the army. i too had a dastsun roadster, 67' SPL311. back into a society that included women, com college, and a sporty little red car. life sure was fun.

k
Spoke
White 1962 Chevy Bel Air handed down from my Aunt to my Dad to me. Car was a rust bucket when I got it. Straight 6 with 3 on the column. I was 15 at the time and didn't know how to work the clutch. Fixed the rust holes with bondo and upgraded the sound system with an 8-track tape player.

Pic below is not my car.

Spoke
markb
55 Ford Fairlane. 272 V8, 3 on the tree. Paid $100.00 for it. Finally had to get rid of it when 2nd gear blew out. I was driving my Mother home from the grocery store when it went, so my Dad couldn't say I was hotrodding it. biggrin.gif Got 65 Tbird from my Grandfater for $450.00 after that. I still miss that car. sad.gif

BTW, my Dad had a 56 MG A, and then a Datsun Fairlady. He was crazy enough to buy these in pairs, so I "had" a 60 MG A, and a Datsun 2000. laugh.gif
jet1
75' 1.8L 914 when I was 15.
GaroldShaffer
Dad's old work truck back in 1983. A 1976 Datusn Pickup, 4 speed, no Ac, no power steering or brakes. I deat the shit out of it and it kept going. It had 400,000 miles on it, more rust than metal but it was fun. Dad sold it and I got a 76 Nova Concourse had it about 1 1/2 years and it was totaled by a lady that ran a red light. Replace with a 1975 Vega, pulled the 327 out of the Nova and well....... biggrin.gif driving.gif

I worked for ITT tech in Ft Wayne while attending their EE program. Spent 8 hours working in the Autoshop tool crib during the day and attend school at night. The Auto tech instructors helped me with the Vega and I would fix eclectroincs for them & their friends.
Rockaria
My first was a 72 914 1.7. That was back in early 1980s sumthin...

IPB Image
Ferg
First car I got when I was 16 1987 Ford Tempo Sport.
First car I actually bought on my own 1992 Geo Metro

barf.gif

It's a wonder girls even talked to me sad.gif

Ferg
spunone
Wow that was alooooog time ago .Mine was a 53 willys milatary jeep .Striped her down and painted it Bright yellow for 19.95 buy good old Earls .Only put in 2 transmissions .
Allan
1958 VW van. 6 windows with hawaiian curtains covering all of them. smoke.gif
TINCAN914
Scout... These things are build like a tank.. Mine was red and white, removable hard top. Wish I still had it...
jasons
QUOTE(bmunday @ Apr 28 2006, 08:02 AM) *

Scout... These things are build like a tank.. Mine was red and white, removable hard top. Wish I still had it...

Here is my Scout II. Wish I could afford gas for it. Since it gets about 9 MPG, it sits except for Home Depot Trips. One in the background was mine also.

IPB Image
Brew
1965 Toyota Landcruiser w/ Chevy 327. LOUD and Quick as hell up to 85 mph.
jgara962
1980 VW Rabbit. Put in a 1.8L GTI engine with a G grind cam and five speed transmission. Had euro bumpers, no back seat, full Autopower cage, suspension, etc, etc, etc. A great autox car wub.gif

Bought a '96 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS which had about the same horsepower as the Rabbit, but weighed at least 1,500 pounds more. Eventually sold the Rabbit a few months later to help pay for my wife's engagement ring.

I used that fact to help with my reasoning to buy the 914 last year mueba.gif
Porcharu
71' Ford LTD 2 door, red. I added huge sway bars, KYB's and big Goodyear NCT's. Amazingly good at freeway on/off ramps. Then I added a mild cam, headers, big carb and a redid the trans and added a shift kit. Silly thing would do 80 in low gear and eject cassette tapes when it grabbed 2nd. It was alot of fun to drop it into 1st on the freeway and pass people.
Then a perfect Vega GT, a 67' Mustang that my dad still has, a cool Fiat 128 coupe.
turboman808
first was a yellow 72 triumph spitfire. Car sat in a feild for years before I got ahold of it. It was plauged with all sorts of problems and I finaly gave up and got a fiero gt.
nocones
1972 Volvo 142S. Mustard Yellow.
BBS-look wheels, koni shocks, swaybars, webers, flowmaster exhaust
That little tank was pretty fun to drive. Lots of interior space and suprisingly quick once it got rolling.
914werke
Im embarassed to say, an 1965 Plymouth Valiant barf.gif Slant 6 punch button auto
Ugly as they come and Slooooow. I inherited the car from my mom and rarly drove it as it dragged down my social standing at HS.
TravisNeff
1971 Datsun 240Z
Demick
1969 Plymouth Valiant
KELTY360
1964 Triumph TR4, great sound through the gears. First time i got the rear end out I thought I screwed up. Then I found out that's what they like to do and i became a slidin' fool. Throttle steering became a survival skill. Very fun car but I wasn't so good a wrench. Switched to a '66 Mustang 2+2 and then bought a new '73 1.7 teener after the Army was done with me.
KaptKaos
'82 Datsun 200SX Coupe, two-tone blue.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Hammy @ Apr 27 2006, 08:17 PM) *

'73 914 biggrin.gif still is

Ditto.

pete
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.