Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The official Mike Wills 3.2 Conversion Thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
MoveQik
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Jul 28 2006, 11:03 PM) *

Are you really using those valve cover gaskets? I tried those once and went back to the stock type valve cover gaskets. I had troubles with them wanting to squish out and not feeling comfortable that I had the nuts tight enough.

You like them?

Ok.....I give. I am not the most mechanical guy you'll meet on this board(reason number one that Joe is doing the conversion!). But please tell me how you can determine the valve cover gaskets that are being used from the pics posted here.

I'm just a brotha lookin' to learn.......
GWN7
Joe's Garage?
John
In the picture with the two gauges shown, in the background, there is a set of orange silicone 911 valve cover gaskets. I recognize them as I have had a set in the past.

They are "forever" gaskets. You are supposed to be able to re-use them and only replace the hardware during a valve adjust.

I recall they were made by "real gasket company" (or something close to that).

John
John
BTW, the 901 can hold up for light duty use with the 3.2. (That's what I'm using in my street car).

If/when it fails, I have the 915 that came with my 3.2 just about ready to convert to 914 use.

The track car (also a 3.2) started eating 901 boxes for snacks (4th gear would loose all the teeth on both gears). After the 4th box, we went with a converted 915.
MoveQik
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Jul 28 2006, 11:22 PM) *

In the picture with the two gauges shown, in the background, there is a set of orange silicone 911 valve cover gaskets. I recognize them as I have had a set in the past.

They are "forever" gaskets. You are supposed to be able to re-use them and only replace the hardware during a valve adjust.

John

ahhhhh....you see, there you go. I thought you were looking at the pics of the engine and you were SO skilled that you could see the valve cover gaskets! As for the ones in the pics, you'll have to wait for Joe's input. biggrin.gif
TurtleGirl
Those are actually for my car. They are one of the few things left that need to be handled at Joe's house... My garage isn't as well equipped as Joe's.... Slowly but surely!

QUOTE(MW 914 @ Jul 29 2006, 12:29 AM) *

QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Jul 28 2006, 11:22 PM) *

John

ahhhhh....you see, there you go. I thought you were looking at the pics of the engine and you were SO skilled that you could see the valve cover gaskets! As for the ones in the pics, you'll have to wait for Joe's input. biggrin.gif

MoveQik
QUOTE(TurtleGirl @ Jul 28 2006, 11:47 PM) *

Those are actually for my car. They are one of the few things left that need to be handled at Joe's house... My garage isn't as well equipped as Joe's.... Slowly but surely!

wavey.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif

Hey Liz! I can't wait 'till Moab! Hopefully Nico will make it and we can enjoy PLENTY of Turtle Mountain Brew!
Series9
This is an expensive tank, but it's very nice:

Series9
Holes cut for the tank and undercoated:

Series9
O2 sensor bung welded up. Yes, I said bung.

Series9
This stuff is going to ceramic coating today:

Series9
This stuff is going to Rich Johnson tomorrow:

Series9
/4 fuel lines completely removed:

Series9
5-bolt front end. Unfortunatley, I had to contact the seller about not including the spindle nuts and the dust caps for the hubs:

Series9
Last. The gas tank out so I can run new fuel lines:

GTeener
clap56.gif Look'n good. Thanks for sharing the progress!
Series9
......mmmmmmmmm......digital 914....

The 914 and DME are now one.

Here's the DME, Altitude switch and spot for the DME relay:

Series9
The 3.2 pump fits in place of the original:

Series9
Here's a mock-up to check the size of the cooler/fan assembly I'm going to use:

16x6.5x6

Series9
Setrab:

LvSteveH
Nice cooling fan setup, do you have a part number by any chance?
thesey914
I have a question...what's Rich going to do to the 911 throttle linkage (or is that just in the picture with the cooler by chance)?
Series9
QUOTE(LvSteveH @ Aug 15 2006, 01:50 AM) *

Nice cooling fan setup, do you have a part number by any chance?

http://www.hrpworld.com/SetrabCPFanPackOil...;action=product
Series9
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Aug 15 2006, 04:08 AM) *

I have a question...what's Rich going to do to the 911 throttle linkage (or is that just in the picture with the cooler by chance)?

He puts new bushings and reorients the pins as part of his kit.
thesey914
Joe, kit for what? confused24.gif
enquiring minds want to know
Series9
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Aug 15 2006, 03:47 PM) *

Joe, kit for what? confused24.gif
enquiring minds want to know

The throttle linkage kit.
Series9
Engine mount installed. It might seem simple (I thought it would be), but it required some mods to fit correctly:

Series9
Ceramic coating home:

Series9
Two hour job....the custom piece-of-paper-template to make the metal to cover this hole:

Series9
Since multiple pictures still refuse to work for the Mac, here's the paper:
John
You know I make the whole piece:
Series9
You should sell those for less than $120.......
seanery
I like the ceramic coated engine tin....very slick. I'll have to remember that one clap56.gif
John
Joe they are $50

Where did you get $120 from?
Series9
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Aug 15 2006, 10:54 PM) *

Joe they are $50

Where did you get $120 from?

2 hours of work for me.
xitspd
Hi Joe,

The ceramic coating on the engine tin is very cool and an innovative idea! Keep up the good work. Tell Luckie I said, "Hello". Are you guys coming to GAF?

Dan
MoveQik
I talked to Al Reed yesterday about my wheels. Conversation goes like this...

Me - So Al, are they done? How do they look?
Al - They are done. You are going to love them...they look like jewelry.
Me - drooley.gif

They ship out Monday to Joe.
Series9
Nice wheels:

Series9
Engine and tranny together:

Series9
Speed sensor mod:

Series9
5-bolt front:

Series9
The official introduction.

The engine is in.
The oil tank is in.
The oil system is completely plumbed.
The fuel system only needs the filter installed.

Electrically, I only have the engine harness connector to sort out.

I have to fly the next three days, but I should be able to attempt a first start in the next week.

Aaron Cox
Looks killer! will it be ready for RRC???

BTW- the 5 point harness safety washers should be mounted directly to firewall, not thru the pad... as the pad is compliant.....
Series9
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Sep 5 2006, 07:12 PM) *

Looks killer! will it be ready for RRC???

BTW- the 5 point harness safety washers should be mounted directly to firewall, not thru the pad... as the pad is compliant.....

As long as the computer is fine, It'll be at RRC.

.....I didn't install the belts.
MoveQik
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Sep 5 2006, 06:12 PM) *

Noted. I will make sure that my pad does not comply going forward. biggrin.gif

Joe - That looks AWESOME!! I can't wait to drive it!
AZ914
Serious BLING on those fuchs! Al Reed is a stud.
WaideS
First start in a week

WOOOO HOOOO

Very Nice Joe
Good Luck Wills
Series9
Oil tank finished:

Series9
Tires are here:

Series9
And now for the fun stuff.

The definition of irony:

Mike wanted to keep the car 4-bolt so it looked stock. After I talked him into 5-bolt, he insisted that he would only have Fuchs on the car, so it looked stock.

When it came time to choose a muffler, he chose this.......

wait for it......

here:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.