http://www.plasticsfasteners.com/PolyDriveRivets.html
JeffBowlsby
These available in Black...

http://www.efc-panelfasteners.com/products...sp?63,219,03706

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 24 2006, 11:24 AM) *

thumb3d.gif

Boy, you did your homework!

I see LOTS of possibilities with ALL the info provided. Wish we had dimensional info for some of them, but the last on (efc) seems to be the best & has the best info. Did you by any chance request samples?

I don't know how important this is, but the number of prongs should be 4. However, there's no judge in the world that could tell if the number of prongs was wrong, nor would he probably care.

Cool stuff - think I'll try to order from EFC.
tod914
I doubt you'll find a prong match. The problem I have found with most of the manufacturers,are the heads are the wrong circumferance or too flat. Jeff, could you send in a sample for them to match to?
JeffBowlsby
Tom sent me a sample and I need to measure it and I will probably order samples next week.
tod914
Jeff that kt12317 looks like a perfect match.. it's just a matter of sizing. Im still waiting on my samples to show up. I'll post all the info once I get them and see how well they match.
JeffBowlsby
Cool Tod. I ordered some samples from EFS in black and natural (nylon). Fingers crossed. They have a $100 minimum order though....
tod914
Ok guys I got a perfect match for the black. The white ones she sent are semi translucent white (midway between the Porsche clear and Porsche nla white ones ). So, I asked her to see if they have pure white or whats involved in a production run of pure white (costs & quanity). I'm waiting on pricing from her. Maybe a bulk buy would be a better rate for us, and I can compile 1 order and then mail them out. Let's see what she says. I will call her tomorrow.
sixerdon
That's great Tod! If you are successful in getting a bulk buy, count me in to purchase enough white ones for 3 cars. I'll keep watching this thread.

Don
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 27 2006, 08:02 PM) *

Ok guys I got a perfect match for the black. The white ones she sent are semi translucent white (midway between the Porsche clear and Porsche nla white ones ). So, I asked her to see if they have pure white or whats involved in a production run of pure white (costs & quanity). I'm waiting on pricing from her. Maybe a bulk buy would be a better rate for us, and I can compile 1 order and then mail them out. Let's see what she says. I will call her tomorrow.

boldblue.gif
Tod,

I'm in for a hundred black, though I'd prefer white. At least the black can't be blinked at.

Yeah, I mean a hundred - don't ever want to have to fool with this again. But I'll still wait to see about the white ones. Lemmee know.
Pat
JeffBowlsby
Which supplier was the winner Tod? Pat maybe you could start an admin-only list of aftermarket replacement parts/suppliers for NLA parts? No random posting allowed, it would be just for reference.
tod914
http://www.product-components.com/rivets_nails.html

B14002 nylon blind drive rivet. POC is Mary.
GWN7
anouther possible source

http://www.bondo-online.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=541
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 27 2006, 04:02 PM) *

Put me down for three sets of white ones.
spunone
Guys ever tried a company called Micro Plastics inc. There in ArK and manufacture alot of what your looking for
tod914
QUOTE(spunone @ Jun 28 2006, 09:33 AM) *

Guys ever tried a company called Micro Plastics inc. There in ArK and manufacture alot of what your looking for

I tried them 2 years ago... nogo at the time.
tod914
Here's pictures of oem with the samples, think this is as good as it gets. Priceing and quanity info still pending. 24 black and 12 white required.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tod914
I just spoke with Mary, she is looking into having the white ones produced and will get back to us hopefully by the end of the week with pricing. We can do a bulk purchase and divey them out or individual. She said either way is fine.
tod914
I tried putting a few in.. the prongs are slightly thicker than the OEM ones. What I had to do was cut off one prong with a razor blade for it to work. Visually from the pov of the round head, they are indistinguishable. They go in easier with just 2 prongs remaining and seem to be very secure. Seems worth the xtra effort to get the right color. I have a new founded respect for the rivet man at the Karman plant.. man even the OEM ones are pia. Thats the scoup.
michaelmoo
I'll take a set in white and black!!!!!!

Thanks!! Mike
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 28 2006, 11:37 AM) *

I just spoke with Mary, she is looking into having the white ones produced and will get back to us hopefully by the end of the week with pricing. We can do a bulk purchase and divey them out or individual. She said either way is fine.

Hey Tod,

Any pdates on the rivet front?
tod914
Hey Pat yah sorry been side tracked... they can not do white. They just have the bone colored ones and black ones. She just got back to me 2 days ago. 14,000 left in their inventory. I was going to buy a bunch in black and some in bone color until a better substitute is found for the white. The issue with these are, 1 or 2 of the prongs in the back need to be cut off for them to fit. Not a big deal really, but just something you should be aware of. The round heads are exact to the factory ones. Im going to check a couple other places cause I really want the white, but will be buying a bunch from her in both colors just incase (mostly black).
tod914
with the white ones on the rockers, i plan on shortening the pegs and prongs. my intent is to just have the rivets on the outer rocker and not attatch into the body so removal of the outer rocker is easy without haveing to replace them each time i want the rockers off for cleaning.
hows that for a run on sentence lol
914werke
I need a bunch of Black! smile.gif
JeffBowlsby
My samples for the black rivets from EFC turned out to be the incorrect size...too large, not close enough.
tod914
I'll put in an order for 1000 rivets first thing tomorrow morning; 640 in black and 360 in bone. This will make up 20 kits of which 18 will be for sale. Each kit will have 32 black and 18 bone for a total of 50 per kit. Required are 24 and 12 respectively. Oem costs are .80 cents each for a total of $28.80 for 36 clear rivets. Keep in mind, althought the heads are a perfect match, one or two prongs might have to be razored/cut off for it to fit being they are slightly thicker. Hence the xtras. Likely priceing will be around $6 a kit. I'll know better once I get the shipping costs and final priceing tomorrow.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 13 2006, 07:43 PM) *

I'll put in an order for 1000 rivets first thing tomorrow morning; 640 in black and 360 in bone. This will make up 20 kits of which 18 will be for sale. Each kit will have 32 black and 18 bone for a total of 50 per kit. Required are 24 and 12 respectively. Oem costs are .80 cents each for a total of $28.80 for 36 clear rivets. Keep in mind, althought the heads are a perfect match, one or two prongs might have to be razored/cut off for it to fit being they are slightly thicker. Hence the xtras. Likely priceing will be around $6 a kit. I'll know better once I get the shipping costs and final priceing tomorrow.

I'm in, for whatever I can get!

Good work Tod!!!!!!!!! Thanks for hangin in. Guarantee you won't be left holding the bag for extras.

Pat
tod914
Ok the order has been placed. I should have them late next week for those interested. Will be $6 per kit which includes shipping. PM me if your interested for payment/mailing info.

Thanks for you interest
tod914
Hey all, just wanted to point out that the kits I'm making up are for 73 1/2 + model year cars where the thresholds are black plastic. According to Dr. Johnson, pg. 78 in his restorers guide to authenticty, the model years prior would be all white rivets (aluminun thresholds and outer rocker panels). Once these sell if there is more interest I can do 70-73 1/2 year kits.
JeffBowlsby
Every 74-76 car I have seen has the black rivets for the black plastic threshold plates, including an early 1974 car VIN 1465 (Aug 1974), which has several 1973 model year features. Was it the earlier years that had the white rivets?

QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 16 2006, 06:01 PM) *

Hey all, just wanted to point out that the kits I'm making up are for 73 1/2 + model year cars where the thresholds are black plastic. According to Dr. Johnson, pg. 78 in his restorers guide to authenticty, the model years prior would be all white rivets (aluminun thresholds and outer rocker panels). Once these sell if there is more interest I can do 70-73 1/2 year kits.

lapuwali
My '71 has white rivets holding on the sill plates, phillips screws holding on the "carpet plate" (the inner plate that covers the carpet edge). I can't remember what's holding on the rockers/valences, I'll have to check when I get home.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 27 2006, 09:08 PM) *

Which supplier was the winner Tod? Pat maybe you could start an admin-only list of aftermarket replacement parts/suppliers for NLA parts? No random posting allowed, it would be just for reference.

Jeff,
Sounds like a decent idea. When (and/if) I get over the admin problems with this forum I'll set something up.
Pat
tod914
Rivets came in guys.. place your orders
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 25 2006, 08:33 PM) *

Hey Tod - excellent!
Let me know what I can have in the bone color - don't want to be a hog, but I'll take as many as you want to give me.

Thanks for hanging in there on this!
Pat
tod914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 25 2006, 09:32 PM) *

Hey Tod - excellent!
Let me know what I can have in the bone color - don't want to be a hog, but I'll take as many as you want to give me.

Pat

I added the 100 bone you wanted to the order as per your request. Did you want a black & bone kit too, or will the 100 bone suffice? I'm going to make up 18 of the kits for anyone interested.. 1 shot deal buying these things for me... figured Id keep 2 kits and be good to go.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 25 2006, 09:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 25 2006, 09:32 PM) *

Hey Tod - excellent!

Pat

I added the 100 bone you wanted to the order as per your request. Did you want a black & bone kit too, or will the 100 bone suffice? I'm going to make up 18 of the kits for anyone interested.. 1 shot deal buying these things for me... figured Id keep 2 kits and be good to go.

Good idea! Better to have a black kit, just in case. Yeah, add one to 100 bones & let me know what I owe. Zip code 19422.
Pat
tod914
Install instructions here...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=57428
tod914
For those interested they are 10 cents per rivet plus $1 shipping per order. Click the link in my signature for details.
sixerdon
Thanks Tod,
Mine arrived yesterday. I think they are a very good facsimile of the original. They look to be the same design as the ones sold by Stoddard that I bought 8 years ago. The bone colored ones are better looking than the clear/translucent ones. I'll compare them closer this weekend with the original ones on my '70.

Don
914werke
I got mine as well thanks.
installed on threshold on the LE just to test them out ...
WHAT A BYATCH!!
They are tought to install unless you remove one of the prongs.
you really need some sort of small cylinder/plunger tool with a conical cutout to position the rivit.
But I got'er done. Looks good!
I dont need the Bone though just the black.
tod914
Abit tight, but with one prong removed I didn't have much trouble. I used the back of an ink pen to push the pin in.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Aug 6 2006, 01:42 AM) *

I got mine as well thanks.
installed on threshold on the LE just to test them out ...
WHAT A BYATCH!!
They are tought to install unless you remove one of the prongs.
you really need some sort of small cylinder/plunger tool with a conical cutout to position the rivit.
But I got'er done. Looks good!
I dont need the Bone though just the black.

Pic's?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Aug 6 2006, 09:07 AM) *

Abit tight, but with one prong removed I didn't have much trouble. I used the back of an ink pen to push the pin in.

"back of an ink pen" ? Show us how it works, please?

tried my usual method of a drift pin, but destoyed 2 of them (that's why I bought a hundred!). Pic's of your method, Tod?
tod914
Pat did you slice off one of the prongs at the base of the head before you tried? I managed to get them in with 4, but removeing one prong is the easier solution. I didn't have that much difficulty installing them. The pen type I used was a Paper Mate white plastic pen you find just about any where. The back of the pen is concave. Push the pin in prior to install, then remove the pin again. The opening is snug to begin with, just like the OEM ones. So if you seat the pin first, it will go in easier when you go to do your install. Shouldn't be that much of an issue to get them in if you follow the suggestions. Pictures are posted if you click the link under my name. When I get my car back this week, I'll post more pictures of how to do it if it's unclear.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Aug 7 2006, 11:05 AM) *

Pat did you slice off one of the prongs at the base of the head before you tried? I managed to get them in with 4, but removeing one prong is the easier solution. I didn't have that much difficulty installing them. The pen type I used was a Paper Mate white plastic pen you find just about any where. The back of the pen is concave. Push the pin in prior to install, then remove the pin again. The opening is snug to begin with, just like the OEM ones. So if you seat the pin first, it will go in easier when you go to do your install. Shouldn't be that much of an issue to get them in if you follow the suggestions. Pictures are posted if you click the link under my name. When I get my car back this week, I'll post more pictures of how to do it if it's unclear.

Tod,

Got it now. Will try again this week (without the drift pin) & send pics of a rocker with the bone rivets.
Pat Garvey
One side finished! Nedd to move the car for the other. This weekend.

Hey Tod - your instructions were great, but I didn't need to trim anything! All 4 prongs slipped in easily - used a wooden dowel to push in the tips. Changed all 18 on the pass side w/no problems. Interestingly, though it's only been 12 years since I did this before, the old rivets broke into pieces when removed! Must have been too much age on the plastic. Glad I bought so many this time!

tod914
Nice job Pat, looks great. Mine in the thresholds were alittle tight. I took a tiny phillips and "cleared" the holes in the metal abit better. Probally do mine in a couple weeks. Last time I spoke with the vendor, they said once their stock on this size is gone they, won't be making it anymore. I plan on keeping a fair amount in both colors as well for future use.
tod914
Source for metal rivets from Sears from member Wilcheck

check this out http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=25978&hl=

This is what I posted back in 2005

I just put my rockers back on today. I was going to use screws, but to keep it looking original, I put the rivits back in. Took five minutes to do. Use 1/8 (1/8x1/4 to be exact) rivets with any rivet gun. Just put the rivert in the hole with the long end of the nail pointing up. Put the nail point in the rivet gun hole and squeeze the handle a couple of times. On the second or third squeeze the nail part will break off and the rivet will be flush. It is a lot easire than it sounds. GOOD LUCK

EDIT: Oh yeah, The bolts on the bottom of the rocker covers are 6MM X 12 (or 16 mm long) and the two screws in the fender well are #8X3/4. I used a hex head for both, as I think they are less prone to strip out. The bottom three bolts are tight with the hex head, but fit. I was unable to find stainless 6MM bolts so I ended up with zinc and stainless washers. GOOD LUCK

RIVET GUN:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...ters+%26+Rivets

RIVETS:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...pid=00974618000
jonferns
so for my '74 that has the original metal rivets, should i use tods plastic ones that i have at home or go out and get the metal ones?
tod914
Johathan, the part number according to Porsche is the same for sill covers (outer rocker covers) as they are for the scuff plates for all 914 model years. Porsche superceeded from white to black, and now to clear. You'll be correct no matter which way you go. If I was to replace mine, I would go with the metal rivets in covers being that's what it had originally. You would think there would be a different part number for the metal ones. But there isn't. 999 591 530 40 Would be curious if it's the same on the original microfiche.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.