Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Live update (Sat) Andy's car/Cellete bench
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
JMDAZED
We have some updated fixtures to set up here. Everything is still super heavy though.
JMDAZED
Donor car from HPH in Redwood City just got towed in.
76-914
popcorn[1].gif
Cairo94507
Wow- that looks like a very clean, straight and rust free front end. beerchug.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(JMDAZED @ Dec 22 2020, 02:41 PM) *

It is a rustout?
JMDAZED
QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 22 2020, 04:04 PM) *

QUOTE(JMDAZED @ Dec 22 2020, 02:41 PM) *

It is a rustout?

The battery was not kind to the donor car. Engine bay totally rotted out.
JMDAZED
Decided to do a rough pull on the Chart bench first then transfer to the Celette.
Andyrew
What would it cost to straighten a twisted chassis on the cellete?

Im really curious how this turns out smile.gif
mbseto
So I'll just put this out there... I've done some reverse engineering of various mechanisms on a professional basis and currently work for the company that makes NX cad software. If someone has a set of fixtures that can be copied and having a set of engineering drawings is the only thing standing in the way of making these available to the community, it's my briar patch.
930cabman
QUOTE(mbseto @ Dec 24 2020, 01:19 AM) *

So I'll just put this out there... I've done some reverse engineering of various mechanisms on a professional basis and currently work for the company that makes NX cad software. If someone has a set of fixtures that can be copied and having a set of engineering drawings is the only thing standing in the way of making these available to the community, it's my briar patch.

It's only numbers, what could be standing in the way?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 24 2020, 12:31 AM) *

What would it cost to straighten a twisted chassis on the cellete?

Im really curious how this turns out smile.gif

Or just let us know the hours for this repair. I'm guessing 40 hours just for the bench and metal repairs, then plus finishing and paint.
JMDAZED
Rough pulls should be close today. Then again, I want to close early today and go home.
930cabman
QUOTE(JMDAZED @ Dec 24 2020, 12:08 PM) *

Rough pulls should be close today. Then again, I want to close early today and go home.

Indeed, Christmas only comes once a year. Enjoy the kids, have a safe and Merry Christmas with your family.
JMDAZED
QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 24 2020, 09:36 AM) *

QUOTE(JMDAZED @ Dec 24 2020, 12:08 PM) *

Indeed, Christmas only comes once a year. Enjoy the kids, have a safe and Merry Christmas with your family.

Merry Christmas!
Luke M
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 5 2017, 06:01 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 5 2017, 07:32 AM) *

I've talked to multiple employees at Celette and everyone has said that the fixtures are gone. So unless they're stuck in a corner of the warehouse and some forklift operator knows where, they're gone. sad.gif

agree.gif Me Too. As far as I can tell they are gone.

This is how I found my set of fixtures. A guy in CA bought out a shops fixtures that had been sitting around. He wanted the 911 fixtures but the owner was selling a package deal or none. He purchased all of the fixtures and sold off what he did not need or want. I made an offer on the 914 Celette set and a few months later I had them in my garage. I've yet to attach them to my bench which I purchased from Perry. Once I wrap up a few projects here I'll get them mounted on the bench.
mepstein
QUOTE(Luke M @ Dec 27 2020, 03:46 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 5 2017, 06:01 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 5 2017, 07:32 AM) *

I've talked to multiple employees at Celette and everyone has said that the fixtures are gone. So unless they're stuck in a corner of the warehouse and some forklift operator knows where, they're gone. sad.gif

agree.gif Me Too. As far as I can tell they are gone.

This is how I found my set of fixtures. A guy in CA bought out a shops fixtures that had been sitting around. He wanted the 911 fixtures but the owner was selling a package deal or none. He purchased all of the fixtures and sold off what he did not need or want. I made an offer on the 914 Celette set and a few months later I had them in my garage. I've yet to attach them to my bench which I purchased from Perry. Once I wrap up a few projects here I'll get them mounted on the bench.

Someone has to scan them one day.
Luke M
QUOTE(JMDAZED @ Dec 22 2020, 12:40 PM) *

We have some updated fixtures to set up here. Everything is still super heavy though.

Hi JMDAZED, hey could you do me a favor and please measure a few things on your Celette bench ?

I attempted to mount the Celette 914 fixtures to my Black Hawk bench but the fixtures do not line up. No matter what I try they will not mount to my bench. Even with the Black Hawk cross beams nothing lines up. So looks like I will need to make some type of adapters to mate the two together. If you could let me know the width of your bench, outer mount hole to outer mount hole (center to center), there's also a large flat plate at the front of your bench. Is that part of the bench or is it removable ?
Also there's a few cross beams that may have mounting holes in them.
Pictures of your bench would be helpful too. I'm gonna try again to search online but came up empty when I did a quick search last night.

I know many have said that the Celette fixtures should mount to the Black Hawk bench but so far that doesn't seam possible with what I have. Does anyone know if there was some special plates that may have been used to adapt the two?

TIA,
rick 918-S
Sent you a pm Luke.
pencap914
So does this mean there's a shop in Palo Alto that has a Cellete bench with 914 fixtures?
My tub is still a bit tweaked from the installation of the inner long stiffening kit, and I don't necessarily trust my skills at un-tweaking a tub in my garage... I too am curious to know how many shop hours this typically takes.
mepstein
Unfortunately, no. The car was on a bench 15 years ago.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 4 2021, 05:47 AM) *

@mepstein

Mine was, but the new posts clearly show another 914 on their bench right now.
shades.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 4 2021, 11:48 AM) *

@mepstein

shades.gif

Right on the bench but I'm not sure there are (914 celette) fixtures for it.
JMDAZED
QUOTE(pencap914 @ Jan 3 2021, 10:46 PM) *

So does this mean there's a shop in Palo Alto that has a Cellete bench with 914 fixtures?
My tub is still a bit tweaked from the installation of the inner long stiffening kit, and I don't necessarily trust my skills at un-tweaking a tub in my garage... I too am curious to know how many shop hours this typically takes.

I was out last week, but Scott Yeaman borrowed a set of newer style fixtures from a shop in Oakland.
JMDAZED
Some progress photos while I was gone. The repair car is still not benched on the Celette.
JMDAZED
More progress.
JMDAZED
The donor car has donated.
JMDAZED
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 4 2021, 08:48 AM) *

@mepstein

shades.gif

Hi Andy, I haven't been on this forum for years and decided to post some fresh photos. Not to hi jack your thread. Cheers!
SirAndy
QUOTE(JMDAZED @ Jan 4 2021, 10:33 AM) *
Hi Andy, I haven't been on this forum for years and decided to post some fresh photos. Not to hi jack your thread. Cheers!

No worries, it's all good. Glad to see another 914 saved!
beerchug.gif

Luke M
Hi Andy,

Do you mind if I add this info here as well?

May as well keep this thread alive with the bench and fixtures info for future references.

I purchased a set of Celette 914 fixtures from a guy in CA and the BlackHawk bench from Perry. All now in Western New York.
I mainly purchased these to fix my factory 6 and my brothers 74 914 which needed a lot of metal work.

The word was that the Celette fixtures could be a bolt-on to the BlackHawk bench.
There was even a law suite between the two about this. The issue that I just came across is that my bench and fixtures do not mate. The bench is way wider then the Celette fixtures. I even tried fitting the BlackHawk cross beams to the fixtures and still it's a no go. I looked into this over the weekend and found several differences between the two benches. I could make the Blackhawk bench work with the Celette fixtures but it's gonna take some time. I would need to add a few cross beams, a front flat plate, and drill some new holes into the I-beams. That's one way. The other way would be to make all new cross beams to fit between the bench and fixtures. I'm not sure which way to go yet but either way it needs to be flat when done.

Does anyone know for sure if the Celette fixtures where a direct bolt-on to a BlackHawk bench? Or was there some in between fixtures that allowed that to happen? This info seams hard to find and verify.
Andyrew
Boy this reminds me too much of what Dad did to the white car...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8lC...r9P5c7uWT_AZHPR

Im really curious now what the PROS will do differently.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Luke M @ Jan 4 2021, 02:00 PM) *

Hi Andy,

May as well keep this thread alive with the bench and fixtures info for future references.

I purchased a set of Celette 914 fixtures from a guy in CA and the BlackHawk bench from Perry. All now in Western New York.
I mainly purchased these to fix my factory 6 and my brothers 74 914 which needed a lot of metal work.

The word was that the Celette fixtures could be a bolt-on to the BlackHawk bench.
There was even a law suite between the two about this. The issue that I just came across is that my bench and fixtures do not mate. The bench is way wider then the Celette fixtures. I even tried fitting the BlackHawk cross beams to the fixtures and still it's a no go. I looked into this over the weekend and found several differences between the two benches. I could make the Blackhawk bench work with the Celette fixtures but it's gonna take some time. I would need to add a few cross beams, a front flat plate, and drill some new holes into the I-beams. That's one way. The other way would be to make all new cross beams to fit between the bench and fixtures. I'm not sure which way to go yet but either way it needs to be flat when done.

Does anyone know for sure if the Celette fixtures where a direct bolt-on to a BlackHawk bench? Or was there some in between fixtures that allowed that to happen? This info seams hard to find and verify.

I was always under the impression the worked also. I wonder if you need the Celette cross beams too. That may be the issue. Shoot a couple photos of the deck on your bench. Do you have any threaded holes?
SirAndy
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 5 2021, 10:01 AM) *
I wonder if you need the Celette cross beams too. That may be the issue.

agree.gif

IPB Image
JMDAZED
Like a puzzle.
Luke M
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 5 2021, 11:01 AM) *

Hi Andy,

I was always under the impression the worked also. I wonder if you need the Celette cross beams too. That may be the issue. Shoot a couple photos of the deck on your bench. Do you have any threaded holes?

I thought that I may need the Celette cross beams too but didn't want to spend more money if they wouldn't work. That's why I'm asking for someone that may have a set for measurements to confirm the fitment. If it is what I need that so be it but need to make sure that's the case. There's not much info out there that really clarifies that issue. The BlackHawk bench has no threaded holes but just drilled holes all the way down both sides of the I-beams. One big thing that I noticed is that the Celette bench has a large flat piece towards the front of their bench. The BlackHawk bench does not have this piece which is needed to mount the two front A-arm mounts and the Celette cross beam which holds the fixtures for the strut/cross member fixtures.
I'll post a few pics of what I mean soon.

I believe these are the cross beams that I may need. I still need to verify that.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Luke M @ Jan 6 2021, 08:04 AM) *

Hi Andy,

I thought that I may need the Celette cross beams too but didn't want to spend more money if they wouldn't work. That's why I'm asking for someone that may have a set for measurements to confirm the fitment. If it is what I need that so be it but need to make sure that's the case. There's not much info out there that really clarifies that issue. The BlackHawk bench has no threaded holes but just drilled holes all the way down both sides of the I-beams. One big thing that I noticed is that the Celette bench has a large flat piece towards the front of their bench. The BlackHawk bench does not have this piece which is needed to mount the two front A-arm mounts and the Celette cross beam which holds the fixtures for the strut/cross member fixtures.

I believe these are the cross beams that I may need. I still need to verify that.

See the countersunk holes. Those are the holes used to bolt the crossmembers to the bench. I can't find my metric tape. It is still packed from the move. But check to see if you have holes in your bench that measure 33 3/8 center to center. There are other holes fro mounting the cross members but these are commonly used.
Luke M
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 6 2021, 08:34 AM) *

Hi Andy,

See the countersunk holes. Those are the holes used to bolt the crossmembers to the bench. I can't find my metric tape. It is still packed from the move. But check to see if you have holes in your bench that measure 33 3/8 center to center. There are other holes fro mounting the cross members but these are commonly used.

Rick,

I got 33 3/4'' center to center on the side to side. Down each I-beam is holes 1/2'' in diameter that are 4'' apart. I don't think the Celette adapter plates will work either as the have the same 4'' x 4'' spacing as the BlackHawk units. So not sure what to use.

I believe that the Celette cross beams I posted a pic of is for the newer style Celette bases and not the Celette fixtures that I have. The fixtures that I have would mount right to the bench like the pic that Andy posted. I may have to just modify my bench to mount these fixtures.

JMDAZED
update
JMDAZED
the front is lined up where it should be.
JMDAZED
Lots of welding the next couple days.
ConeDodger
McMark made his own Cellett 914 fixtures I think...
Cairo94507
Very nice progress. I love to see these go back together when you know it is being done correctly. beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
Are these fixtures available to rent from someone?

Clay
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 8 2021, 10:28 AM) *

Clay

Clay,
Ask @McMark . He will know the history. I think many sets of 914 fixtures were destroyed. He was making his own last I heard.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 8 2021, 10:08 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 8 2021, 10:28 AM) *

Clay

Clay,
Ask @McMark . He will know the history. I think many sets of 914 fixtures were destroyed. He was making his own last I heard.

I don't want to by them, I want to rent a set to use for fixing Betty's car. I am willing to pay a rental fee and shipping both ways for them.

Clay
JMDAZED
Everything lines up. It's getting welded up as I type this.
JMDAZED
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 8 2021, 05:28 AM) *

Clay

Scott Yeaman borrowed the green tipped fixtures from a shop in Oakland. Scott owns the bench and the rest of the pieces and they are in Palo Alto.
Mueller
QUOTE(JMDAZED @ Jan 8 2021, 03:32 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 8 2021, 05:28 AM) *

Clay

Scott Yeaman borrowed the green tipped fixtures from a shop in Oakland. Scott owns the bench and the rest of the pieces and they are in Palo Alto.

So you work at Yeamans shop? Does he still have his /6 with the 3.0? Always a fun car to drive. I have not seen Scott in years since he repaired my '91 964.
Luke M
QUOTE(Luke M @ Jan 6 2021, 11:40 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 6 2021, 08:34 AM) *

Hi Andy,

Rick,

I got 33 3/4'' center to center on the side to side. Down each I-beam is holes 1/2'' in diameter that are 4'' apart. I don't think the Celette adapter plates will work either as the have the same 4'' x 4'' spacing as the BlackHawk units. So not sure what to use.

I believe that the Celette cross beams I posted a pic of is for the newer style Celette bases and not the Celette fixtures that I have. The fixtures that I have would mount right to the bench like the pic that Andy posted. I may have to just modify my bench to mount these fixtures.

I looked into the Celette cross beams and it seams that the ones I posted are for the MZ tower system. That does me no good as my fixtures are the older more robust style. The fixture that I have need to be mounted on the Bench and not the cross beams like the MZ system. I spoke to someone about the Celette cross braces and they will not work for me. Looks like a custom set of cross braces need to be made to mate the fixtures to the bench. I'm now wondering if there was a set of cross braces that worked for mounting the Celette fixtures to the BlackHawk. So, after going back n forth on how to resolve this I decided to make some custom cross braces to mount the fixtures. The other option was buying a 1/2 '' flat sheet of steel and have all custom holes cut to mate the two. For ease of install and cost I went with the custom braces. My brother and I started mounting the fixtures on Friday and lowered the car onto the bench. It looks like this will work out just fine. Now to spend the next few days measuring, cutting, aligning, drilling, and welding the new cross beams. Some pics of what it looks like now. I'll post pics of the final product when done.
mate914
Looks good so far... I'm a fan.
Matt
Luke M
Spent the day getting the rear half mounted and setup on the car. Looks pretty good.
I ran out of mounting hardware so off to the home depot or Ace on Sunday.
Got the cross beams for the front end figured out so just need to drill, weld, and bolt down. That's another days project but slowly getting there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.