Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Live update (Sat) Andy's car/Cellete bench
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
redshift
WOWSERS! ALL FUN!

(especially mark taking the shower... you could get used to it dood!!)

smile.gif

M
DEC
Great job beerchug.gif

Like it to see

Wilco
davep
Did you start pulling before you cut the cage? That would explain the popping of the cuts.
What was the problem with the front suspension mount?
What other particular locations required significant pulls?

Glad to see the six tub is there for today's pulls. I'm really interested in the results on that one. Since the right rear ear is so badly rotted, I guess it cannot be used too much; makes me wonder if welding a new console in first would be best, or waiting until the chassis is straight to put it into place, or perhaps a combination. Best of luck with this old girl, she is in good hands.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 27 2006, 11:22 PM) *

It looks good!!!!

Whats up with the shock? When did it blow?

That kinda explains that one video of "bouncing"

Andrew

I bet the front wheel lift will be minimized once tub is tweaked and the bad shock is replaced.

Thing I'm curious to know more about is how badly was the car bent from stock specs and will the bending back to spec weaken the tub? I know from looking at the car a couple weeks ago it was visibly twisted.

Fun watching the progress!
Brad Roberts
Back in the saddle. We are running about an hour late at this point!

The chassis appears to have "taken" to the pulls. It hasnt sprung back.

We will start some grinding and welding on the cage. The thought is to pull the chassis apart 2-3mm's and weld te cage back together. In theory this should help keeps things in place.

Good morning!

B
Eric_Shea
Excellent thread.

Is the next tub the -6 that Kelly was going to cut up?
echocanyons
Yup it is, I hope it can be saved
shoguneagle
This is better than watching the Indy 500. Great Job!!! And we thought the people of 914 Club just know how to party!!!

Great information and how this is done. I would not want to do it. Leave it for the Pros such as>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!!

Andy, glad it is finally done and you can continue your build. Brad, you still put in the long hours and driving to support 914 owners, many thanks!!! Scott Yeaman for use of his facilities; I know where my car will be painted -- Thanks!!! Thanks to all the members for working on and supporting Andy's project. Distance, time, money, etc does not seem to matter when the 914 Club becomes involved. Many Thanks!!!

What a Group!!!!!

Steve Hurt
Aaron Cox
good luck on that sixer! i saw some of the creases in the bulkhead
rhodyguy
if andy is the original purcaser, i think koni may fix or replace the rear shock. worth checking out.

k
Brad Roberts
Making the final pulls. The rear trailing arm mounts where WAY out (shim stack)
Brad Roberts
sdfg
davep
Okay, now lets see some pictures of the six on the Celette bench. Andy car was nothing but a warmup for the main event. rolleyes.gif
Brad Roberts
Andy's red tub is/was tweaked in so many ways... it is crazy. The body guy's looked at the six tub and said: "easy".

Here is what I *think* happened with Andy's tub:

It was bent in a rear end collision

It was bent in a front end collision

Neither repair included "pulling" the tub

They replaced bumpers and installled the flairs with "insurance" money instead of paying to repair the tub properly.

B
Brad Roberts
Done!!

It is straight!

Starting to unbolt the fixtures after all the pulling..and NONE of the bolts are in bind. This means the tub was pulled into submission!!!

Now to take it off the bench and bench the 6 tub.. help...lol

B
Brad Roberts
More pics to come! Later.. My camera died. Andy will upload later.

B
Brad Roberts
Very nice!

All the suspension now bolts up and it is not in BIND!!!

We assembled the rear without shims. I'm going to check camber with a SMART gauge and see if we have an equal number.

B
Gint
Grats Andy! That's gotta feel great getting that finally done.

So, I probably missed it, but what's it cost to rent the Celette bench? And can you only do that in Claifornia? Are they available in other parts of the country?
Brad Roberts
REALLY good news!!

Negative 2.5 on both!! rears with NO shims. This means the tub is zero.

Unless... both control arms bent the exact same amount. Chances of that are real slim.

It goes on the trailer in a few minutes. We will then put the six up on the bench and go home.

B
Brad Roberts
You will probably find a shop in your area with a Cellete bench.. but finding a place that rents the 914 fixtures might be close to impossible. Cellete has a office in Hayward (about 40min from here and they rent the fixtures... but you still have to have the bench) The bench is designed for european cars, so you would have to start with a body shop that specializes in the euro cars.. then they might have the bench. Then try and locate the fixtures!!

I knew from previous experience that we had access to the fixtures. I know of at least 10 914's in this area that have been on the bench. 4 of them (if not more) are race cars with their rear suspension points raised.

B
Brando
I wonder if you could attach a 914 to the celette bench to weld in a cage... as assurance that the body doesnt twist, bend and warp when doing structural welds...
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 28 2006, 06:07 PM) *

The body guy's looked at the six tub and said: "easy".

actually, his exact word were "piece of cake" ...

we'll see ... we didn't get to the /6 yet, that'll be my monday ...

just dropped my car of in napa at McMarks, going to bed now ( yellowsleep[1].gif ) then up early tomorrow morning to pick up chungs car and haul it down to scotts, then on to unbending the six ...

what a weekend ...
blink.gif Andy

here's a teaser, off the celette ... (never mind the crooked cut rear valence dry.gif )
*ALL* the suspension stuff bolted right on, *all* the mounting points/bolts were dead on!
piratenanner.gif
redshift
Great job fellas! You must feel awesome Andy... it's better than just any old tub now, it's perfect!

M
davep
That ought to be worth seconds a lap!
TimT
I wonder if you could attach a 914 to the celette bench to weld in a cage.

thats the preferred way to do a cage install anyway
jonwatts
boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif

The level of skill just blows me away. The celette makes it easier, but far from easy (to me at least, maybe Andy thinks he could do it by now). They said they don't even use the bench that much any more, they do floor pulls.
McMark
Andy and Brad mentioned they could still use a hand or two today. I've got to work after taking two days off already. sad.gif
DNHunt
Gerry and I had a great time with you guys. As always the best part of the experience is the people. It would have been fun to have seen the tub pulled. Thanks to all of you for your hospitality.

Dave
GTeener
The /6 did not get any work done on it. It did get put up on the bench and pushed into the shop but Brad had to get on the road home. Andy took some pictures.

GTeener got home under her own power today, though. Gotsta figure out these electrical gremlins before WCC dry.gif So far she's a one way ride. I can get to any destination, I just can't leave headbang.gif

Anyone know an electical guru around here?
chunger
Crap. . .

Are the shop guys going to make some pulls without Brad on Tues? Hope I didn't slow you guys down too much with the extra errand this morning.

-'Chung
SirAndy
QUOTE(GTeener @ May 29 2006, 05:52 PM) *

The /6 did not get any work done on it.

not quite true ... biggrin.gif

i changed the bench setup to 914-6, several additional fixtures to put in place, then refael started with the pulling.
smiley_notworthy.gif

jeff keyzer and jon watts and wife showed up to lend a helping hand! smilie_pokal.gif

by the time i had to leave, refael had about 1 hour into the tub and he had the back already straight! shocked[1].gif

he said the front is going to be tricky, two, maybe three more afterhour sessions and it'll be done ...

fingers crossed ...
boldblue.gif Andy
SirAndy
rear pulled and straight ...
GTeener
Hooray for the cavalry! drunk.gif
jonwatts
Once again I did nothing but stand there looking pretty, but it was great to see the /6 making progress.

Andy, do you have to pay for the fixtures to get back where they need to go or was that included in the delivery charge? If not I might be able to help out.

SirAndy
QUOTE(jonwatts @ May 29 2006, 06:50 PM) *

Andy, do you have to pay for the fixtures to get back where they need to go or was that included in the delivery charge? If not I might be able to help out.
should be covered ... you want to carry 1100lbs to fremont ?

biggrin.gif Andy
cbenitah
Is Mr Roberts still up there with y'all biggrin.gif

Looking great guys!
jonwatts
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 29 2006, 06:53 PM) *

should be covered ... you want to carry 1100lbs to fremont ?
biggrin.gif Andy

After looking at the crate the fixtures came in it looks like it might fit in my truck. I'm not volunteering if it's covered, just offering in case it isn't. $150 for delivery seemed like a lot, but not in the big scheme of things and not if it covers both ways.

drewvw

smilie_pokal.gif awesome team work....fun thread to read. To the classics?

Brad Roberts
Mr. Roberts is HOME! I left San Jose at 3pm and walked into my apartment at 10:15pm. I sat in over an hours worth of traffic. Not bad! The rest of it was ranat 80mph+. traffic was hauling ASS!.. with the trailer..LOL

Andy,

this is really good news about the 6 tub. I'm sorry I had to leave.. I know how long it takes to get home..

I had a blast mueba.gif

B
Jenny
Hey, hey! You made it home. You didn't leave SJ until 3?? What kept you?

Jen
Dave_Darling
Sorry I couldn't help more, but I had "obligations" for most of the weekend. My attorney wasn't so happy I spent most of Saturday over at the shop, actually, so I had to help make it up to her Sunday and today.

--DD
Rusty
Amazing... simply amazing.

I'm almost afraid to ask what a shop would charge for such a treatment.

-Rusty smoke.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lawrence @ May 30 2006, 02:10 AM) *

I'm almost afraid to ask
don't wacko.gif
horizontally-opposed
Good times to hang and great to see the progress after I had to roll out. Rebekah couldn't believe how long I was there. It was a slice of heaven, served up two days before a perfect, long day on the coast in my 914...

Good to hang with Chung, Brad, Andy, Mark, Bill, Jenny, Randal, Bill, Laryssa (sp!), Jon, John, Dave, Rafael, Jerry, Fiid, and, and, and...

Just a cool project and cool people.

We should do stuff like this more often.

pete
Jenny
I agree. It was an awesome weekend. I always enjoy hanging out with 914 peeps. It was nice to finally meet Pete smiley_notworthy.gif , Bill, and to see Dave and Gerry again. And of course, it's great to see the usual suspects. You know who you are ph34r.gif

Jen
Brad Roberts
Jenny,

I stopped at Jason's to pick up all the Boxster engine pieces he had laid out for me. We didnt want to jam them into your 914, so I stopped and picked them up on my way out. I'm going to start development on the 986/987/996/997 engines for racing. Jason had a 2.7 engine apart and I needed the crank/rods/cams/pistons.

Pete,

It was fun talking/working with you. We have been holding these types of "gatherings" for years. I stopped counting the number of sawzall parties and the such we have held in the past. The club comes together all over the USA for these different events. This one was a little more in depth than most. I have found that people are hungry for information (you know this.. you are a supplier also).. so we invite people to "help" and learn.

B
maf914
Looks like you guys had an interesting weekend. It's good to see Andy's car get straightened out. piratenanner.gif

In the photos there are several chains that appear to be in tension. I assume this is part of the pulling process. Is it dangerous being in the same space while this is taking place? A chain failing would be pretty scary. When I am around boats or heavy equipment with lines or cables in tension, I'm always a bit wary. idea.gif
Jenny
Funny you should mention that. Saturday night while I was watching Rafael, Mark & Andy working, I was pretty close to the stretcher. McMark graciously put himself between me and the chains just in case of such an occurence. What a gentleman! wub.gif

Jen
chunger
QUOTE(Lawrence @ May 30 2006, 02:10 AM) *

Amazing... simply amazing.

I'm almost afraid to ask what a shop would charge for such a treatment.

-Rusty smoke.gif

This kind of 914 bondage doesn't come cheap whip[1].gif
Brad Roberts
As people walked up over the weekend, we would strategically "remove" them from the "path" of the chains when a pull was in progress. From what I have seen: chains break and make a loud noise, but they dont release and "fling" like a cable would if it broke.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.